11

Babysitter

Many weeks passed and Hyeri started getting stronger. Sojin was always there, looking after her. When it was time for Hyeri's final exams, Sojin could only walk with Hyeri to the examination hall, then she had to leave her. Hyeri did well in her exams, getting good grades because Sojin had helped her study at home. Sojin was now a respected member of Hyeri's classes, they all knew why she was there and all of the students had conversations with her. When Sojin wasn't needed anymore because Hyeri was healthy again, everyone was sad. There was a leaving party held for her in the music class.

"I'm sure she'll be back soon!" Minah was saying as everyone was eating cake. "But this lesson, I decided to bring someone else in who will sing with me and Sojin!"

Yura appeared out of nowhere and the song started. Everyone was dancing around the room with their cake. When the song was over, Sojin dragged Hyeri over.

"Sing with us." She mumbled. "You know these songs, right?" She showed Hyeri a list of songs.

"..I guess so." Hyeri said.

The next song started and they all started singing again. That was when everyone found out how good Hyeri was at singing. When the lesson was over, everyone was sad. They all said goodbye to Sojin as they left, some more emotional than others, then Sojin left with Hyeri and went home.

"I didn't know you could sing that well." Said Sojin as they walked into the house.

"I was in the choir at the start of the year." Said Hyeri. "But I dropped out."

"You should've stayed in it." Said Sojin.

Whilst Sojin was making dinner, there was a knock on the front door. Hyeri started to get up, but Sojin ran to the door quickly and answered it, but what she was greeted with was not pleasant.

"You are under arrest - you have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law."

The police dragged Sojin out and put her in the car. Hyeri was lost. She had no idea what had just happened.

 

Hyeri was at the front door of Minah's house. Sojin had taken her here a few times, but she wasn't sure if Minah was in. She knocked on the door and a minute later, Yura appeared at the door.

"You have to let me in, the police took Sojin away and I don't know what to do!" Hyeri sobbed.

Yura stared at Hyeri for a minute, unsure of what to say. That was when Minah appeared at the door. As soon as she saw Hyeri crying, she took the younger girl inside and lead her to the couch.

"Where did you say Sojin is?" Minah asked.

"I.. I don't know.. The police took her away.." Hyeri sobbed into a tissue.

"Why did they take her away?" Yura asked.

"I don't know.. I was.. I didn't hear.." Hyeri started to cry even more.

"It's okay.. Don't cry.. We'll get her back soon.." Minah said, hugging the younger girl close.

 

Meanwhile, Sojin was sat in a prison cell. She knew it was Hyeri's parents who had reported her. She knew the reason she was in the cell. She didn't even know how long she would be there. Then all of a sudden, she heard voices.

"You have five minutes."

The door opened, and Hyeri, Yura and Minah came into the cell.

"Unnie.." Hyeri sobbed, throwing herself into Sojin's arms.

Sojin held Hyeri close, her hair softly.

"..Why are you in a cell then?" Yura asked.

"Her parents reported me.." Sojin spoke quietly, trying to make Hyeri calm.

"But.. They can't just arrest you like that.." Yura mumbled.

"Well, obviously they just did or else I wouldn't be here." Sojin sighed.

"Unnie.. We'll g-get you out of h-here.." Hyeri said, looking up at Sojin with teary eyes.

Sojin smiled slightly. "They'll let me out. Your parents don't have enough evidence."

The police officer came back after the five minutes and Hyeri, Minah and Yura left again.

"We'll take good care of Hyeri!" Minah yelled as they were escorted away.

Sojin stood at the bars and watched them walk away. She heard Hyeri's sobs and screams and she realised how much of a mess she'd caused.

How will I get out of this... When will it stop..