10

Babysitter

Hyeri ran away from the house. She left the door wide open and was pretty sure her scream had attracted the attention of all the neighbours but she didn't care. She just wanted to get as far away as possible. She heard her name being called and she turned around to see Sojin rushing over to her.

"Hyeri! Let me explain.. Please.. I didn't want her to do it.." Sojin said, out of breath.

"Well it's too late now.." Hyeri mumbled.

"Jihae started it..  I never wanted it.. Please.. Hyeri.." Sojin looked like she was about to cry.

"No.." Hyeri said quietly, then backed away as Sojin tried to hold her hand.

"Hyeri.." Sojin whimpered, actually starting to cry.

"Get away from me, Sojin." Hyeri said, walking backwards into the road.

But unfortunately, Hyeri didn't hear or see the truck coming towards her. The only thing she heard was the screeching of tires, Sojin's voice, then she flew through the air and everything went dark.

Jihae came running out of the house and as soon as she saw Hyeri lying in the road she called an ambulance. Sojin had collapsed next to Hyeri's lifeless body and was sobbing loudly.

"S..Sojin.." Jihae approached slowly.

"Jihae.. Go home.." Sojin growled, then she looked up at Jihae and gave her the most threatening glare she could.

"Okay.." Jihae left the two alone and went back home where she stayed for a very long time.

"Hyeri.. Don't die.. Please.. The ambulance will be here soon.." Sojin whispered, but she knew there would only be so much they could do for Hyeri.

 

When the ambulance finally arrived, they took Hyeri to hospital and Sojin was right next to her for the entire thing. Eventually, it was said that Hyeri was in a coma and it was unknown when she would wake up. Sojin stayed by Hyeri's side day after day, week after week, she was willing to spend longer but the doctors told her to go home. Whilst Sojin had been with Hyeri in the hospital, she had her casts taken off and was back to normal. Sojin only spent one night at home, but Yura and Minah came to visit her.

"Sojin, you look like you haven't slept in years." Said Yura, frowning.

"You really need to rest." Said Minah.

Sojin didn't speak. She was too tired. Since she wasn't talking or doing anything, Yura and Minah ended up feeding her, washing her then finally put her to bed.

"She'll be okay, Sojin." Yura said, Sojin's hair.

"We'll pray for her." Said Minah.

When they were both sure Sojin was fast asleep, they left. Sojin was re-living a memory in her mind of when her and Hyeri were younger and went to the park. In fact, every time Sojin closed her eyes all she saw were memories of her and Hyeri, but they would all end the same way.. With Hyeri getting hit by the truck. Sojin woke up in the middle of the night screaming. She got up quickly and got dressed and drove straight to the hospital and went to Hyeri's room. Hyeri was looking a lot better than the last time Sojin had seen her. She ended up falling asleep in the chair next to Hyeri's bed.

 

When Hyeri woke up, she felt weird. She sat up slowly and looked around the room and saw Sojin next to her. She wasn't angry at Sojin anymore, she was more angry at Jihae.

"Unnie.." Hyeri said, gently shaking Sojin.

Sojin's eyes opened. She gasped. "Hyeri! You.. You're awake?"

Hyeri nodded. "Should I tell someone?"

"I'll go and get a doctor.." Said Sojin, then she got up and went to find a doctor to come and make sure Hyeri was okay.

 

A few days later, Hyeri was released from hospital and told to rest at home. Since Hyeri didn't have much strength, Sojin had to do everything for her. And when it was time for Hyeri to start attending school again, the doctors said that Sojin would have to assist Hyeri there too. So, Sojin and Hyeri went to school together. People were confused at first, but since some of them had seen Sojin before and knew what had happened they understood.

They were in Music class when Hyeri spoke.

"We have a new teacher in this class." Said Hyeri.

Just then, the door opened and Minah stumbled in with a ton of books.

"Hi! Sorry I was a bit late!" Minah said, putting her books down on her desk. "Today, we're doing vocal training!"

There were a few groans across the room.

"Are you good at singing, unnie?" Hyeri whispered to Sojin.

Sojin shrugged. Minah started talking about stuff to do with warm ups, then she called Sojin up.

"Sojin was the leader of the choir when we were in school together! Let's do a duet together, Sojin!" Minah said, seeming rather excited.

Minah started to play a song which she knew Sojin knew, and as soon as they both started singing everyone in the room was hooked. Their voices went so well together. Hyeri didn't even know that Sojin could sing that well. By the end of the class, they hadn't really learned anything, they just watched Minah and Sojin sing.

"Just wait until next lesson!" Minah said happily. "I'll bring my friend who can rap! It'll be a blast!"

Everyone left the class and went to get lunch. Sojin and Hyeri sat outside together and ate, but they attracted quite a crowd from people who had heard about Sojin's voice in the music class.

"Sing for us, Sojin noona!" Ken said. "I heard it was really good!"

"If you find Minah for me and bring her here, maybe I will." Said Sojin.

The crowd ran away and a manhunt for Minah started. Sojin felt a bit sorry for her younger friend who would be getting ambushed by students. A while later, Minah had been dragged across the school to where Sojin and Hyeri were sat and they ended up singing together again for everyone.

When the school day was finally over, Sojin's voice had sang more than she had ever since she left high school. When she was seeing Hyeri to bed, Hyeri was talking about singing.

"I didn't know you could sing that well, unnie. I wish I could sing as well as you do." Said Hyeri.

"I bet you sing even better than me.. Now, sleep." Said Sojin, Hyeri's hair slowly until she fell asleep.