1

Babysitter

It was the end of the day. Sojin was waiting outside of Hyeri's school for her. The bell rang and children flooded out of every exit, running towards their parents. Hyeri was always really slow, she was usually one of the last to leave so Sojin took out her phone and started playing a few games on it. A minute later, she felt someone tug on her arm.

"Unnie!" Hyeri squealed.

Sojin put her phone away and smiled. "Hey." She looked down at Hyeri's hands which were covered in paint. "..Why do you have paint on your hands? Didn't the teacher say you had to clean it off?"

Hyeri nodded slowly. "But I had a paint fight with the boys."

Sojin sighed. "You're lucky I don't tell your parents about these things.."

They started to walk back to Hyeri's house. Sojin watched Hyeri skip along next to her, telling her everything about her day and the people she didn't like and the people she liked. She even told Sojin about the boys she had crushes on.

"Don't you have a crush on anyone, unnie?" Hyeri asked.

"No. I don't have time for things like that. I have to study to get good grades, I can't let people distract me." Said Sojin.

"..Do I distract you?" Hyeri asked, looking sad.

"Of course not! We're best friends, remember?" Sojin picked the younger girl up and smiled.

Hyeri remembered back to last night when Sojin was seeing her to bed.

"Are we best friends, unnie?"

"Yes. Of course we are."

She smiled slightly and clung tightly to Sojin.

 

They reached Hyeri's house and Sojin started to make dinner whilst Hyeri went to wash her hands and change out of her uniform. Sojin was on the phone talking to her friend Yura.

"You're always babysitting, when will you come out with us?" Yura's voice groaned through the speaker of the phone.

"I don't know when. Shouldn't you be studying anyway? Our exams are coming up soon." Sojin said.

"No offense, but studying is for nerds. I'd rather be out partying." Yura said.

"Well maybe after the exams I can come out with you and Minah. I need to go now, Hyeri's taking a while upstairs." Sojin said, then she hung up.

Hyeri was stood in front of her wardrobe which was almost empty apart from clothes that she really hated. Sojin entered the room.

"What's up?" Sojin asked.

"I don't have anything to wear." Hyeri looked up at Sojin. "And I don't want to wear the ugly clothes."

"Dinner is almost ready.. Uh.. Just wear this for now. I'll find you something else later." Sojin said, then she took off her jumper and gave it to Hyeri.

Hyeri put the jumper on then they went downstairs together. Hyeri sat at the table whilst Sojin prepared dinner. She put it on a plate, let it cool down then gave it to Hyeri who ate it very quickly.

"Umma said I can have the leftover cake from my birthday party. It's in the fridge." Hyeri said, point in the direction of the fridge.

Sojin got a slice of the cake for Hyeri and watched as the girl devoured it. Sojin then went and sat in the living room and took out her books from her bag and started studying. Hyeri followed along and sat next to her.

"..Unnie, what are you reading?" Hyeri asked.

"I'm studying for my written exam on engineering. I'll be doing the same exams in college and university." Sojin said.

Hyeri nodded slowly then turned the TV on. A few hours later, Sojin saw Hyeri to bed then sat downstairs on her own studying until Hyeri's parents returned and she could go back to her own house.

This was how pretty much every day went for Sojin. She would go to school, then rush home, get changed, walk to Hyeri's school, pick Hyeri up, go to Hyeri's house, feed her, watch over her, see her to bed then go home when Hyeri's parents came home. She'd been doing this routine since she was 14 and Hyeri was 8. She was sure that she'd probably be doing this all her life because she knew how protective Hyeri's parents were.