7

Babysitter

Sojin woke up in a hospital bed. She felt very sore and dizzy. She picked up her phone that was on a table next to her and checked her messages. There were hundreds from Hyeri and a few from Yura and Minah. She started to reply to them.

'Please reply to my messages. I'm so scared.'-Hyeri.

Sojin texted back. 'I think I'm okay. I'm in hospital but I don't know how I got here.'

Then she read Yura's message.

'Did you get there?'-Yura.

Sojin texted back to her. 'No. Not even halfway. I'm in the hospital. Come bring me some good food please.'

And then there was Minah's message.

'YOU WERE ON THE NEWS AND I DON'T KNOW WHAT HAPPENED BECAUSE IT WAS GOING OFF BUT YOU LOOKED DEAD.'-Minah.

Sojin texted back. 'I got beaten up.'

A few minutes later, Hyeri texted her.

'Which hospital.'-Hyeri.

Sojin texted her the name of the hospital. Both Yura and Minah texted back at the same time.

'I'm at work :\ I'll come visit later.'-Yura.

'OH MY GOD SO YOU ALMOST DIED?'-Minah.

Sojin felt too weak to reply and put her phone down and slowly started to fall asleep.

 

Hyeri got on the bus after packing all her stuff into a suitcase. She decided she wasn't ever going back home again. The bus journey didn't take that long and Hyeri got off at the hospital and went in. A doctor showed her to Sojin's room. She entered slowly and closed the door behind her quietly. She put her suitcase down and sat on the chair next to Sojin's bed.

"Unnie.." Hyeri started. "I should have never let him do that to you.."

She held Sojin's hand and looked at Sojin's tired, beaten body. Sojin opened her eyes and looked at Hyeri.

"You shouldn't be here.." Sojin said quietly.

"I want to be here with you.. I moved out.. They don't own me anymore.." Hyeri said. "It hurts to see you like this.."

"Hyeri.. You can't move out.. They're your parents.. I'm just.. Me.." Sojin said.

"No. You mean more to me than anyone else in the world. You've looked after me since I was a child. I want to be with you forever unnie." Hyeri said.

"I can't look after us both though.. I don't even have a job.. You need to stay with your parents.." Sojin said, starting to feel weaker every time she spoke.

Hyeri sighed. "Just rest, unnie.."

Sojin closed her eyes and fell asleep.

 

Sojin was finally released from hospital a week later. She had a cast on her right arm and a cast on her left leg. She had a few bandages on other parts of herself and was told to go home and rest.

"Unnie, when are you going to be better?" Hyeri asked.

"..I don't know.." Sojin mumbled.

Hyeri, after much talking and persuading, was now living with Sojin and had got a part time job in a shop. Hyeri still attended school and was taking her final exams. Sojin helped her study for them every night. She even gave Hyeri some of her old textbooks to use.

"Unnie, help me with this.. It's for my English speaking exam." Hyeri said, handing Sojin some papers.

Hyeri started to speak in English. When she was done, Sojin smiled.

"Perfect. You'll pass the exam." Said Sojin, then she tried to get up.

"Unnie, where are you going?" Hyeri asked.

"Bathroom.." Sojin mumbled, trying to push herself up off the couch.

Hyeri got up and helped her, then waited outside the bathroom. A few minutes passed and Sojin didn't come out.

"Did you fall down the toilet?" Hyeri asked.

"No. Don't rush me.." Sojin said.

"What are you doing?" Hyeri asked.

"Washing my hands.." Said Sojin.

A moment later, the door opened and Sojin came out. Hyeri helped her back to the couch.

Hyeri went into the kitchen to get something to eat. She stood and watched Sojin.

"How are we going to deal with this for so long.." Hyeri mumbled, sighing sadly.

But the real question was, how long would it be until Hyeri's parents found her and Sojin again...