12

Babysitter

"We, the jury, find the defendant, Park Sojin, to be "guilty" of the charges made."

 

Hyeri would never forget those words. She would never forget the look on Sojin's face as they took her away. She would never forgive her parents for what they had done. Minah and Yura would never forget their visits to Sojin. They would never forget Sojin slowly fading away in front of them. They would never forget the screams of Hyeri in the middle of the night when she woke up from nightmares, crying for Sojin. And Sojin... Sojin would never forget the day she entered the prison cell with the tall man she would share the cell with for two years. Sojin would never forget the countless days wasted in that prison for something she didn't even consider a crime.

 

Another day had passed for Hyeri. She was lying in bed unable to sleep. Her thoughts were full of Sojin. That's when she started to cry again. A few minutes later, Minah came in with some tissues. This was a normal routine. Minah stayed with Hyeri until she stopped crying and helped her to fall asleep. Then Hyeri would sleep for a few hours and wake up in the middle of the night screaming. Even though Minah and Yura tried their best to comfort Hyeri, it was never enough. She only wanted Sojin.

 

The two years passed rather slowly. Hyeri graduated from college in that time and after that, she didn't do much. She didn't bother going to university, she didn't have a career in mind so she just worked at a lot of shops. When it was finally time for Sojin to be released from prison, they were inseperable. Hyeri was officially legal, so her parents had no rule over her anymore.

 

It was a quiet Saturday evening when Hyeri and Sojin were strolling through a park when they stopped at the children's area which was now empty and looked quite untidy.

"Do you remember this park?" Sojin asked. "We used to come here every Friday."

Hyeri smiled and nodded. "I want to go on the swings."

So they went into the children's area and sat on the swings together.

"You know, we're far too old to be playing on the swings." Sojin said, giggling a bit.

"You're never too old to play on the swings unnie." Hyeri said.

They swung as high as they could together, then they got off and Hyeri went to the top of the climbing frame with Sojin following close behind.

"It's changed a lot, hasn't it?" Sojin stood next to Hyeri as they reached the platform at the top together and sat down.

"Mhmm~" Hyeri said, snuggling close to the older girl.

There was another short silence, then Sojin spoke.

"I think we should make another memory here. A really important one." Said Sojin.

"By doing what?" Hyeri asked.

Sojin smiled a bit. "I had a lot of time to think, and in that time I decided one thing. I want us to be together forever. So Hyeri..." Sojin pulled out a small box and opened it. There was a diamond ring in it. "Will you marry me?"

Hyeri gasped. "Oh, Sojin!" She started to cry with joy. "Of course I will!"

Sojin smiled brightly and put the ring on Hyeri's finger then hugged her tightly.

 

It seemed that finally the two girls could be at peace. There was nobody to tell them what to do and nobody could stop them from doing whatever they wanted. After they got married, they explored the world together and had lots of fun with their lives. They often invited Minah and Yura on their travels and the four of them bonded and made lots of fun memories. But in the end, Minah and Yura got married to different people and became busy so it was just Sojin and Hyeri, but they didn't mind. They had each other, and that was all that mattered to them.

 

THE END