Wish #9.

Make a Wish, Rich B*tch

183-genie-lamp-icon.png Chapter 9

❝I wish I could be good at everything.❞

 

[End of School Day; Gym]

 

Krystal

"Noona, can I be honest with you?" I heard Jay as I looked up from the screen of my cell phone.

 

"What did I say about calling me Noona at school, Jay?" I asked. He scratched the back of his head; a little quirk that he did when he was nervous.

 

"Only to call you that at home..." He sadly looked down at the floor. I sighed, putting my phone back in my purse and looked at him, "Jay, you'll do fine." I put both hands on his shoulder giving, him a bit of a shake. "Now go and make me proud, alright??" I put a fist up, "Fighting!"

 

Jay held a weak fist up, giving a smile. "Fight-ingggg..."

 

I smiled as I opened the door to push him inside the gymnasium. I watched from the door as I saw Jay walk up to Coach Sanders, sighing to himself. After checking in with the Coach, I saw Jackson approach Jay, handing him a basketball to warm up with. Jay and Jackson passed the ball back and forth with a few dribbles in between.

 

"He doesn't want to be here, doesn't he?" I jumped a bit as I heard that familiar voice. Looking over my shoulder, I saw Luhan dressed up in a tank top, showing off his lean, muscular arms, and basketball shorts that showed off his statement Nikes.

 

"Who-how-no!" I crossed my arms across my chest. "What makes you say that?" 

 

"His skills are good, but his heart isn't really into it," Luhan pointed out. I turned my head towards the window again, examining Jay. Luhan was right. His skills were good, better than average, but I knew his heart wasn't into it. I knew that the only reason he was doing this was for me. I had been pushing him to try out since I had started going out with Jackson. I mean, that was one of the reasons I went out with Jackson in the first place; to get Jay on the good side of the most acknowledged sport on campus, so when I graduated, I knew he'd still be in good hands. 

 

I wouldn't have to worry about... those memories that haunted me, to happen to him.

 

"He has his heart in it," I defended my brother as watched Jay make a 3 pointer. He gave a weak smile at the coach who was giving him high praises. "It's just... he's nervous today."

 

"Nervous because of the tryouts?" Luhan leaned in close to my ear. "Or nervous because he doesn't want to let you down?" I stood there in disbelief; my head followed Luhan as he opened the gym doors without another word. He was now approaching the coach. Did he really just say what I think he just said? He seriously thinks that Jay tried out for my sake? I racked my brain, thinking if I had said anything about that this whole day while I had my classes with him or previous meetings. I shook my head. That can't be possible... I don't remember telling any of my true intentions to anyone except myself. Unless, this man was able to read minds, or hear me during my showers...

 

Damn, to think those incense candles would work.

 

"Ugh, what a ." I turned around and ran my fingers through my hair. No, Luhan was NOT going to get away with this. I stomped off towards the library to wait for tryouts to be over. That attention hogger, godly-looking genie being was NOT going to break me down so easily. Oh no, no, no... If he thinks he could step into my life and just ruin it for his own humor and duties, he'd have to think twice. I shook my head, smiling to myself. He had no idea what I was capable of...

 

Krystal Park always won... Always.

 

 

"Krystal! Krystal over here!" I heard my name being called as I entered the library. I looked around and spotted Jesy and Annie at the corner of the library. I walked over to them, taking a seat beside them.

 

"What are you two, out of all places, doing in the library?" I whispered, looking at the books, or rather fashion magazines scattered around the table. I picked up the latest issue of Seventeen magazine, flipping through the pages.

 

"Researching," Annie blew her bubblegum as she flipped the page.

 

"For what? Debate on the latest fashion trends?" Jesy asked as she took the magazine from Annie, earning a squeal of disappoint from her. Annie folded her arms in front of her chest as she blew another bubble out of anger.

 

"What's the debate about?" I asked.

 

"Whether there's such a thing as 'love at first sight'..." Jesy answered as she wrote something down in her notebook.

 

"Which is why I was reading the magazines!" Annie defended herself as she tried to snatch the magazine back from Jesy. "They have a lot of good dating tips and love stories and..."

 

"Speaking of love at first sight..." Jesy gave up her hold on the magazine, letting Annie have it. "So that new kid, Luhan, is surely a sight to behold, huh?"

 

I put my magazine down and let out a struggled laugh. "HA! YEAH RIGHT! THAT GE--" I said in a heartbeat. Maybe too quickly and loudly... Jesy and Annie stopped what they were doing and looked at me with a curious expression. "I mean..." I flipped my hair over my shoulder, raising the magazine up to my face to hide my expression. "Yeah. Right. He's... good-looking I guess?" Good-looking was an understatement... more like "God-Like-Too-Good-To-Be-True-Damn-It-I-Just-Want-To..." I pulled at the charm around my neck, wanting to break the little fragile thing in my fingers. 

 

"You know, Maddie from Dance told me that you stopped by her family Resteraunt last friday night..." Annie leaned in, obnoxiously chewing her gum in front of my face. "Andddd I heard a certain Asian Hottie-tottie was there eating with YOUR FAMILY."

 

"Anddddd I heard from one of our classmates that you and him have the same exact schedule..." Jesy pointed out, adding fuel to the gossip flame. "Plus... you started wearing that necklace around the time Luhan came around..." My fingers wrapped around the necklace, quickly hiding it under my blouse.

 

"First, he shows up at my party and takes you home. Second, he's been spotted eating out with you and your family. Third, he enrolls in the SAME SCHOOL with both of you having the SAME class schedule. Fourth, that necklace coming along the same time Luhan was here?"  The two of them looked at each other then back at me. "What are the odds, Krystal?"

 

I sat there, looking at my magazine without a change on my facial expression. Honestly though, I was internally freaking out. What was I supposed to say to my friends? I couldn't tell them he's a Genie; they would seriously judge me and my right mind. Besides that, it made me realize a more important question that I needed him to answer thoroughly next time I saw him:

 

Why the hell was he doing all this anyways???

 

"The thing is... my father and his father are... business colleagues in South Korea" I found myself saying. "Luhan was sent by his father here to try the... American experience! Yes!" I snapped my fingers wagging it in the air. "The American Experience!"

 

"American experience? Like... is he trying to learn how to speak English??" Annie questioned, popping her bubblegum.

 

"Ugh, Annie... He speaks perfect English. He even talked to you during art..." Jesy rolled her eyes. "I think what Annie meant to say was..." She nudged Annie with her elbow. "What kind of American 'experiences' are you planning to give him??" The two giggled, obviously thinking of something erted and dirty. It was my turn to roll my eyes.

 

"Well obviously, he's the son of a possible merger company... I'll be showing him the best of what the American life has to offer." I put down my magazine leaning in, "And if this pulls through, your girl may be getting an early grad present from daddy dear..." I made a hand signaled a cha-ching, accompanied with sound effects. Jesy and Annie "oooh's" and "ahhh's", nodding their heads in understanding. I hid behind my magazine again, letting out a subtle sigh of relief.

 

Unlike Luhan, I didn't need magic to mess with my friends' thoughts; my words were magic on its own.

Luhan

"...JAY 2; JACKSON 4; LUHAN 5 OUT OF 5 FOR THE 3-POINT SHOTS!" Coach Sanders finished off the results list. The coach came over, giving me a hardy pat on the back, "Son isn't even pushing a sweat..."

 

I looked around at all my teammates; they were sweating madly, some even resorting to taking off their shirts, Jackson being one of them. He was breathing hard, splattering his water bottle all over himself. Jay, on the other hand, looked like he was going to pass out from exhaustion, pouring all the water his bottle had to offer to himself. The other people trying out were either in their worse state or just as exhausted. I, on the other hand, looked as I did when I had come in to the tryouts: clean and sweat free.

 

As a genie, I was not only perfect in looks, but also in any physical activities. I didn't have to break a sweat or tire myself out from anything since it came so naturally. There were times I intentionally let myself sweat and act exhausted, but watching Jackson, I wanted him to see that I wasn't even trying, that I'm flawless as I am. Although, I felt sorry for Jay who was really trying hard; he got on the coach's good side a lot of times; if anything, he was being praised just as much as Jackson and I. From what I could tell, Krystal was right; he did have heart in it.

 

Just not enough to say he had passion.

 

"This is just Day 1 of 5 of the tryout process,” the coach announced as he started to walk up and down the roll call line. "The next few days I'll continue to test out your skills, and then on Friday we'll be having a mock game. I will be creating the teams, and the whoever wins will get automatic spots on this year's team. Others will be judged by their progress and skills from this week."

 

As the coach continued to drawl on, I stood there, nodding as if I was paying attention. My mind was more intrigued by another thought... or in this case, thoughtS... Things such as: the 2-wish dilemma and the "Real Krystal" dilemma. Which in a way, both dilemmas were bound to cancel each other out, one-way or another. Alhough I want to return home as soon as possible, I also found Krystal's character... interesting.

 

And attractive, physically for sure, no lie.

 

As a Genie, I could usually read people's feelings and character just by looking at them. Without them realizing it, humans subtly showed their characters through their little actions. And Krystal, for sure, had shown that she was, in fact, a human who did these things. After that day I saw her mess with her own intelligence and the dinner with her family, I knew that she was trying hard to hide... something. Another side of her perhaps? A Dr. Jekyll-Hyde situation? A hidden motive?

 

"EVERYONE, GOT IT??" Coach Sanders broke my thoughts. The whole group replied with a "Yes, coach!", we were then dismissed afterwards. I walked up to Jay who collapsed on the floor dramatically taking deep, heavy breaths.

 

"I...am...so...done..." Jay wheezed as he closed his eyes against the lights. I shook my head, lending out a hand for him to take, dragging him up so quickly that he face planted onto the floor.

 

"Oh sorry!" I exclaimed as I picked him up effortlessly, putting him back on his feet. Jay only groaned and gave an "ok" hand signal as I put his arm around my shoulders for support.

 

"Noona..." He groaned putting his head on my shoulder. "Krystal noonaaaa..."

 

"She's waiting in the library." My genie senses told me my master's whereabouts. "Do you want me to call her now and--"

 

"No! No! Don't!" Jay suddenly jolted himself up, his fatigue forgotten. He shook his head wildly, "Don't get her just yet! I-I-I'm not ready! She can't see me like this!"

 

"See you like what?" I questioned.

 

"This!" He pointed at his exhausted self, tripping a bit as he continued to walk. I caught him before he hit the ground.

 

"Tired and exhausted? Jay, you just came from tryouts she'll obviously understand." I laughed at the nonsense he was spurting out.

 

He continued shaking his head. "I have to focus! Happy thoughts!" He closed his eyes, massaging his temples. "Unicorns. Rainbows, Butterflies..."

 

As we were walking towards the direction of the locker room, I crooked my head while he rattled about "happy things". What was with this kid? I don't recall humans having this sort of trait. Why was Jay doing so much to please his sister? On top of that, if Krystal knew about Jay not wanting to be in it, then why...

 

"Hey Pretty Boy!" I heard a familiar voice call for me as I entered the locker room. I looked around and found Jackson standing half , with only a towel wrapped around his waist. I stopped and pretended to look behind me "thinking" that he was talking to someone else.

 

"I'm sorry" I stated as I dramatically looked around. "But I only see myself, and I'm pretty sure my name is Luhan."

 

Jackson chortled as he started to walk up to me. "I'm the Captain of this team. And if you want to be on this team, you have to play by the rules." We were now face to face, gaining a small audience.

 

"We're all equal in ranking here, Jackson" I wrapped a towel around my neck. "This week, I will only refer to you as any other player. When I make the team, maybe then I'll refer to you as Captain... Unless of course, I become Captain."

 

Jackson let out a loud "HA!" as he clapped in front of my face to show his 'enthusiasm'.

 

"I won't say you don't have the skills to make the team, but to become captain of this team?!" He let our another "HA!" turning to the audience around him, some supporting his view. "Trying to steal my girl and now my team??"

 

"Why do I have to steal when I can naturally have both of them without force?" I questioned, earning a low, angry growl from Jackson. "Besides, I didn't see any resistance from Krystal when I was talking to her. Plus, the coach did give me the option of trying out for captain during our one-on-one talk, so..."

 

Jackson's hands suddenly gripped the collar of my shirt, bumping our heads together as he spoke, "I don't know who the you think you are, but let's get some things straight: 1) Krystal is MINE, you hear me?! I don't care about the ty rumors I've been hearing of you two. Krystal is with me and not your sorry , alright?!" He gave me a little shake, "2) You may have the skills on the court, but that position of captain is MINE. I didn't fight my way to the top of this chain to get myself dragged down by a Pretty Boy like you." He gave me a little shake again, and I was still unaffected by his words and actions.

 

"I told you not to call me Pretty Boy..." I said between my clench teeth, now pushing Jackson against the vending machine. I lifted him up a bit, showing how serious I was. "Remember??"

 

"Hey hey heyyy, you two, cut it out" Jay suddenly stepped in between us, pushing me back a little to separate Jackson and I. "If the coach sees this, neither of you be captain since you'll be kicked off the team before even making it." The boys around us, as our audience, booed at Jay who was stopping the potential fight. Jackson and I were now staring at each other, waiting to see who would let their guard down first.

 

"You can settle this on the court over the next few days, alright?" Jay walked behind me, pushing me towards the lockers. "Come on Luhan..."

 

As Jay was pushing me, I kept my eyes locked on Jackson. It wasn't until I turned the corner, to the deserted part of the locker room, where I lost eye contact with him. I chuckled, shaking my head as the hands by my sides started to clench tightly into a fist. Never had I felt this sort of animosity against somebody. If I thought Krystal was such a brat, then Jackson is just as worse.

 

No wonder why they were so 'perfect' for each other: dumb and dumber.

 

“Yah! Did you hear me at all??” I looked over at Jay who was now dressed in dry clothes, looking fresh and clean.

 

“Sorry Jay… I had… things on my mind…” I said as I started to open my gym bag, taking out some fresh clothes. Jay’s eyes widened, seeing more and more things come out of my magical bag as if it was never ending: a vanity mirror, a few grooming tools, a few pair of shoes that would all compliment my outfit. “Do you mind repeating what you said?”

 

“Oh… well Lydia is coming over for dinner, and Appa was wondering if you wanted to come over tonight.” Jay took a sneak peak into my bag, sticking his hand inside. With wider eyes, he dug deeper in my bag, finding that he was already shoulder deep in. I laughed at the sight as Jay tried putting his whole face in it.

 

“Dinner?” I asked, pulling Jay back before he could fall inside the bag.

 

He nodded, “Yeah, Appa said he sent a text to Krystal to invite you since he doesn’t have your number yet.” He lifted a foot onto the bench tying his shoes, “She didn’t tell you?”

 

I watched myself in the mirror as I threw on a new black v-neck. I was always good at remembering things, but I couldn’t recall anything about it. I had talked to her every period of the day except lunch, but those were just fun, annoying jabs at her. The only words she spoke with me were those of hatred and anger, but if I were lucky, it would be a tease or two.

 

Unless that was just my manly hormones speaking.

 

“It probably slipped her mind.” I replied as I ran my hands through my hair, using a little magic to style it perfectly. I turned to Jay and smiled, “Tell your father I'll be there for sure.” 


 

183-genie-lamp-icon.pngOfficially Posted on 
August 22, 2015