Part 1

Frozen Tears

It's the start of the new school year and I'm excited to be in high school, planning to make new friends and memories. Spring has come, my favorite season of the year. There are blooming flowers everywhere, painting the green leaves and brown trees with their beautifully bright colors. I ran quickly to the auditorium as I heard the morning bells rang and there, I met him.

I was sitting next to him. He has this beautiful blond hair, slightly tanned skin that seems to glow under the rays of the sun, slightly chapped but plump lips. I steal a glance at him every now and then hoping to take a look at his face. I manage to know the color of his eyes when he finally looked my way and smiled. I was startled that I suddenly stood up but sat down again, embarrassed of what I just did. My heart was beating so fast but I’m not quite sure why.

The Welcoming Ceremony ended and I still didn't know his name. It’s not that I could just tap him on the shoulder and ask for it. No, I’m too embarrassed to do that. I sighed and stared out at the garden. I really love red roses, especially the way they drip their red color on the green leaves. The teacher entered and began a roll call on the students. I looked at everyone that was called and was shocked when the teacher called on the name "Kim Jongin" and saw the same boy I sat with on the auditorium. He seated two chairs away from me.

“Do Kyungsoo, right?” a voice asked as the lunch bell rang, and I never thought how hungry I was till now. I looked behind me planning to give a nod in reply but my brain shut down when I saw Jongin standing there.

“I’m Kim Jongin! Would you like to have lunch with me?” he asked with a smile and I found myself nodding blindly as I fought the blush that threatened to creep its way to my cheeks. I was puzzled at why he wanted to eat lunch with me, but I secretly wanted to spend some time with him so I shrugged the idea off. We ate at the school's rooftop, and I never realized how perfectly his blond hair complimented his chocolate brown eyes until now. They’re just like the beach, where the ocean is his eyes and the sand is his hair that seated silently beside the ocean, waiting to be carried away in its waves. Cliché I know but that’s just how I pictured him.

Summer break came and the days passed by slowly. It's a good thing that Jongin lives just a few blocks from us so we visit each other often. He asked me to go to the beach today and of course, I said yes. If there was a way to say no to him, I never got the chance to learn it. The ocean was wonderful; it's as if I'm swimming on ice. I was having so much fun with Jongin I didn’t care about anything anymore, even the sun that would inevitably burn my pale skin. What more can you ask from a best friend?

Summer went away and a new school term has started. However, the colors from the garden are slowly being drained away. The flowers and the leaves are falling from the branches one by one. This is exactly why I hate fall.

"Oh, that's fine. After the winter, they'll bloom again." Jongin told me with a smile. I just smiled back, of course they will.

More days passed and the garden looked worse than before. It's as if everything died at the same time. What a horrible view this is. However, inside of me, I was feeling something else. Every smile Jongin gives me makes me feel weird inside. It's only recently that I understood what it meant. As the leaves and flowers fell from the trees, I was also falling for Jongin.

The garden isn't getting any better. To make things worse, Jongin skipped school today. His mom said he caught a bad cold. As much as I hate fall, I also hate winter. There is nothing but cold and white everywhere, draining every color, making the place dull and lifeless. The next day, Jongin didn’t show up again, also the next day. Then the next, until a whole week has passed. I decided to visit him after school today.

Jongin's mother answered the door and she was looking down, almost broken. She let me enter and lead me up to Jongin's room. I was surprised to see that he wasn't there so I asked his mother where he has gone. She didn't answer but instead gave me a letter. Puzzled, I opened the letter and read it.

I couldn't believe what I was reading. I ran out of the house with the letter still in my hand, to where I was headed to, I didn’t know. Maybe all of this was a dream and at any moment now, I would wake up. This is turning into a total nightmare! I was still running with my eyes closed, not knowing where I was headed to when I tripped. I lay there on the ground trying to catch my breath as my head cleared up. I sat up and looked at the letter again. Jongin wrote the letter all right, I know his hand writing well. I was hurting so much; I don't even know how to express it.

I looked up at the sky. Oh, how dark the sky is. It's as if someone had painted it black and grey to darken it up. Oh, who was I kidding? I feel as dark as the sky above me. Then, the first snow of the year fell followed by its other frozen friends. Could it be that the sky is crying with me tonight? Slowly, I clutched the letter close to my heart. Yes, the sky was crying its frozen tears to help me shed my own.

"You didn’t even say goodbye to me!" I thought as I cried. The first time I saw him, the lunch we had at the rooftop, was that all just a dream? Is it all really over? It can’t be! The pain I felt doubled and I don’t know what to do anymore. The sky continued to cry; maybe it was Jongin crying up there with me. I stayed there on the ground crying as Jongin's frozen tears embraced me slowly with nothing but his last letter by my side. I promised not to accept the truth that the person I love has left me forever.