invitation and flashbacks

Bittersweet reunion (sequel to the captain and the nerd)

“Good morning, miss. An invitation came in for you today” your secretary handed you an envelope.

Winston Churchill high school reunion batch ’14.

Oh, a high school reunion. You slowly opened the invitation and read it. The event will be held next week in Canada.

You were now an accomplished young lady. You were working for a company in Korea and were currently the operations manager. As you entered your office, memories slowly drifted into your mind. You were reminded of him.

-flashback-

                It was prom night. You were so nervous because it was your first time. You kept on fumbling with your dress. You kept on checking your make-up and hair if it was perfect. The doorbell suddenly rang and your mom called you saying that Kris was already downstairs waiting for you. As you slowly stepped down the stairs, Kris was staring at you. When you finally reached the bottom of the stairs Kris held your hand and said “you look so beautiful. Just like an angel.” He then kissed your cheek “you two, look over here so I could take a picture.” You mom said while holding the camera. Kris held your waist as the two of you posed in front of the camera. “okay. You two really look like lovebirds. Now go, you two might be late for prom.” Your mom pushed the two of you out of the house and into the car “have fun, kids.” You mom said as the car drove off. The night was absolutely magical. Kris was very stunning and sweet during the whole night. He held you close and danced with you all night.

Then another memory flashed. You smiled

                You two were at the park watching the people walking by. The two of you were eating ice cream. You were suddenly surprised when he stood up and left “hey! Where are you going?” you shouted “just wait here” he said and walked off. It’s been 30 minutes and he still hasn’t come back. You got worried. You took out your phone and was about to call him when you heard a strumming of the guitar. You turned around and saw him. His friend, Lay, was strumming the guitar while Kris was singing your theme song. You stood up as he got closer. He suddenly pulled out a bouquet of red roses from his back and handed it to you. “I love you. Happy3rd year anniversary” he whispered to your ear and kissed your forehead. “I love you too.” You whispered back.

Then suddenly a tear slipped down your cheek.

                It was 2 weeks before graduation day. You and Kris were strolling around the park talking about whatever that comes into your minds.

“so which university are we going to choose?” you asked

He suddenly stopped walking

“I’m not going to college here.” He said as he looked down

“what?” you were surprised

“we’re moving.”

“where?”

“back to China. I’ve finished high school so my mom wanted to go back to Nanjing.”

You remained silent.

“let’s break up.” He suddenly said

“what?” you were confused

“this relationship wouldn’t work.”

“yes, it can”

“no. please. Let’s just break up” he said looking at your eyes

“I don’t love you anymore. The sparks are gone” he added

You heard your heart shatter into bits.

“okay.” Was all you managed to say as the two of you parted ways.

-end of flashback-

                You wiped your tears and called your secretary “please book me a flight to Canada next week.”