EPISODE 12

I GOT MARRIED TO MY OPPA(S)?!!

EPISODE 12

2 March 2014
Dolce Vita

 

Message from YG:

Dear all in YG family, by now all of you should have heard the news that our Chaerin is in WGM with Hong Jonghyun. Their first episode would be aired next week before their concert in Hong Kong. All of you are cordially invited to the celebration lunch before the programs airs at 4pm. Everyone is invited. The WGM crew would be here to film the YG family watching and supporting Chaerin in this endeavor. All details would be released next week.

 

Jiyong looked at the screen and read the message again. Although he had expected YG to do this but he was not quite prepared to see the show go on air so soon. Truth be told, he wished that it would never air.

 

Looking at his watch, he got up and got ready to leave. He went to the dining room and saw that Youngbae was already awake.

 

"Hey, I'm going back to Seoul first."

 

Youngbae looked at the time. It was barely 6am and he thought he was going to the concert together with Jiyong.

 

"Why? What about the rest of us?"

 

"I have told our manager to come and pick you guys up at noon. I'm heading to the company."

 

"Did something happen?"

 

"Chaerin is going to the company early to finish some work. It seems like the only time I would get her alone to myself. So, I'm going back first. Can you let the others know when they are awake? Also, remind the others about after-party. After all, it's the girls’ comeback after such a long time. We should all go to show support. You are meeting me to go for the concert together with me, right?"

 

"Yup~! I would meet you at the company. I’m so excited! Chaerin’s solo stage!"

 

"Alright, call me when you arrive in Seoul."

 

"Ok, good luck and have a good time with her. Don't pressure her too much. She needs her focus for the concert."

 

"I know that in my head, but my heart just won't settle down. I don't think it would until she's out of WGM. It's going to be 3 long months of slow torture."

 

"Keep yourself occupied with work I guess. I heard that we might have to do more fan meetings out of Korea."

 

"I heard that too. I want to stay occupied but I can't really focus as well. I don't know what I need from her."

 

"Take it slow. She's not going into a relationship with Jonghyun yet. And while they are on the show, I don't think they can date too."

 

"Argh! Not going to think about it anymore! I'm leaving now."

 

"Drive safe."

 

Jiyong nodded and left. Before he left, he sent Chaerin a message.

 

TO: CHAERINNIE

Chae, do you want breakfast?

 

FROM: CHAERINNIE

Oppa, I made breakfast for us. Are you on your way? See you soon~! ^_____^

 

TO: CHAERINNIE

Yup, I'm leaving now. See you in a bit. And thanks for breakfast~

 

Thinking about the breakfast that Chaerin made for him, a grin appeared on his face.

 

An hour later, he arrived at YGE in high spirits. But when he tried calling Chaerin, she didn't pick up the call. Not thinking too much about it, he made his way to Teddy's studio since that's where Chaerin usually hangs out. But Chaerin was nowhere to be found. He called her again and he got through this time.

 

"Chae, where are you?"

 

"Oppa, I'm coming down to Teddy oppa's studio now. Can you wait for me there?"

 

"Sure. See you in a bit."

 

After 15 minutes, Chaerin finally appeared in the studio. When she saw Jiyong, she gave him a hug before sitting down. Jiyong was of course happy that Chaerin had hugged him. When he took a closer look at her, he could see that she was blushing, and she looked a little too happy.

 

"Someone's happy today~ Did something good happen?"

 

"Jonghyun oppa just left after talking to Boss. He told Boss that he's serious about me and would like his permission to date me. Boss agreed..."

 

"WHAT?!! Boss agreed?"

 

"Yup~ So I'm free to go into a relationship with Jonghyun oppa if I want to~! Oh! Here's your breakfast!"

 

"And are you going into a relationship with him?"

 

"Not right now, but at least I don't have to be worry about what Boss would say. And if we are ever caught, we can just come out and admit it."

 

"Chae..."

 

"Oppa, now I understand why people say 'I love you' is a magical phrase~ It really makes people feel happy~!"

 

"He said that to you?"

 

"Yup, yesterday before the concert started, and before he left just now. Oppa, you'd better eat your food before it turns too cold, while I get started with my work."

 

"Come, sit beside me so I can see what you are doing."

 

"Alright~"

 

Without a second word, Chaerin walked over to the work desk that Jiyong was sitting and sat down beside him. The two of them sat in silence. Jiyong ate his breakfast although his mind was on what he just heard.

 

"Chaerin ah..."

 

Chaerin turned and looked at Jiyong with a questioning look on her face.

 

"Yes, oppa? Is the food to your liking?"

 

"I like anything that you prepared. So, has Jonghyun asked you officially to be his girlfriend?"

 

"Nope~ I don't think it's a good idea to go into a relationship while we are on the TV show since we are already in one. If I do start a relationship with Jonghyun oppa, it'd probably be after we end WGM."

 

"What if there's someone who confess his feelings to you during that time? What would you do?"

 

"I don't know. Right now, Jonghyun oppa is at the top of the list and I don't foresee any other person confessing their love for me. I don't think I'm that popular as girlfriend material. Buddy, yes, like the kind of relationship I have with you and the other oppas, but I don't think guys want me as a girlfriend."

 

"But I thought you mentioned before you like your boyfriend to be like your best friend?"

 

"Well, I want someone who I can talk to about my worries and problems. While I haven't gone to Jonghyun oppa with my problems yet, but I believe I will."

 

"What about me?"

 

"What about you?"

 

"Would you come to me with your problems?"

 

"I don't think so. I don't want to add on to your burdens. I know the kind of pressure that you face as the leader of the group, your own solo career and your relationship."

 

"What if I want you to come to me with your problems? Chaerin ah, I want you to know that I'm here if you ever need to talk to anyone about anything."

 

"I know. Thanks for offering. You know that I'm here for you if you ever have any problems right?"

 

"Chaerin, would you avoid any of us if we ask you to be in a love relationship with us?"

 

"Us who? The Big Bang oppas? Why would you guys do that? Why would you do that when you are in a relationship right now?"

 

"I'm not. Let me make it clear to you. I'm not in a relationship at all."

 

"Oh, ok... I don't know, oppa, we are very close so it might be weird if we go into a relationship."

 

"But would you go into a relationship with me if I ask?"

 

"Not right now since I'm on the show with Jonghyun oppa."

 

"But you would consider?"

 

"Maybe."

 

"Ok, good. Continue with your work while I finish eating this. Let me know if you need any help."

 

Chaerin nodded and turned back to her iPad. She continued typing the lyrics of the song she has in mind. When she was done, she showed it to Jiyong.

 

"Oppa, take a look at this."

 

(GOOD TO YOU without the rap)

 

"A bad boy huh? Who could that be? Me?"

 

"You are not the only bad boy in this world and I think compared to some, you are considered quite good. You just have the bad boy image but you are a softie. How is it?"

 

"I like the lyrics. But who's singing which part?"

 

Chaerin went on to show Jiyong the distribution of the song and a sample melody. When he asked if there was going to be a specific part for her, she shook her head. Looking at the lyrics again, and thinking about the situation between the two of them, he started writing a short rap. Although the rap was mostly from a girl's point of view but the situation in the song could be reversed and it can apply to guys as well.

 

"Here, this is my contribution to this song. This should come at the end and it's your part. Don't give it to anyone. I only want you to do it because you wrote the rest of the lyrics so you are the best person to conclude the song. Wanna try it now?"

 

"But there isn't a melody for the whole song yet."

 

"Let me help you with that. What you have started on is good. Let's make this a slow R&B song ok?"

 

"I didn't picture it as a fast song. Let's do it!"

 

For the next hour or so, the 2 leaders started composing the music for the song. When they have the melody, Chaerin went in to record a guide for it. After they finished the recording, they listened to the song.

 

"You should just keep this for yourself. You can do the whole song on your own."

 

"But the idea is that no matter what kind of girl you are, sometimes you are just susceptible to love, even if the other person is bad for you."

 

"Just saying, you have the potential to do it all on your own. And sometimes singing your own songs is easier than guiding others in singing the songs."

 

"I usually write the songs because it's something I want to express. Like I said, I was surprised when Teddy oppa and Boss said to go ahead and use my songs in the new album."

 

"And it's the best move they have made for the group, to be honest. You girls have to content with a lot of competition and with you moving up to singer-songwriter, you upped the level of the group. It would take a while for the other groups to follow suit. And you know it's going to be difficult because it doesn't go with the general image that girl groups try to portray."

 

Chaerin looked at Jiyong slyly and raised her left eyebrow.

 

"And what might that image be?"

 

"Definitely not the capable woman type. Girls who are more capable than guys aren't exactly appealing to the male population."

 

"Oh well, I don't understand why is it not appealing when I feel that a guy with brains is incredibly y."

 

"Men and women think differently. But I'm an exception. I happen to think you are amazing in every way."

 

"You are my oppa, you have to think that way~!!"

 

"But you are truly exceptional, I'm not joking nor am I being patronizing."

 

"I know, oppa, relax."

 

Chaerin fixed some of the lyrics of the song, then started packing her bags. Jiyong looked on in surprise.

 

"Where are you going? Do you have to be at the concert venue this early?"

 

"Oppa, it's almost lunch time. You should go and eat something."

 

"Aren’t we having lunch together?"

 

"I would love to but I want to go visit Jonghyun oppa at his filming site."

 

Upon hearing this, Jiyong frowned. He didn't want Chaerin to leave. He didn't want her to go to Jonghyun. But before he could think of anything, Chaerin's phone rang. He looked up to see her check her phone and he saw her smile.

 

She looks so happy and so pretty.

 

But the next minute, he saw her talking on the phone and waved as she walked out of the studio. Jiyong finally reacted and got up from his seat to run after Chaerin, but he only caught up with her when he reached the entrance of the underground car park. He saw her walking towards her own car and was about to call her name when he saw Jonghyun come up behind her and gave her a backhug. Chaerin yelped, but when Jonghyun leaned towards her ear to tell her that it was just him, Jiyong could see Chaerin relaxed in his arms visibly. Jiyong clenched his fists because that was the only way he could stop himself from rushing forward and giving Jonghyun a punch on his face. He walked towards them, but he picked up speed when he saw Chaerin turn around in Jonghyun's arms and put her arms around his neck.

 

When he got near enough to the couple, he made his presence known.

 

"Chaerin ah..."

 

Chaerin leaned back from the hug and saw that Jiyong was behind them. She smiled at him, but she didn't release herself from the hug. Jonghyun turned to look behind them and saw Jiyong as well. He smiled at him. Jiyong could see that Jonghyun had tightened his hold on Chaerin and was about to protest when he heard Chaerin's voice.

 

"Jiyong oppa, what's up? Did I leave anything behind in the studio?"

 

You left me behind.

 

"No, but you left so quickly..."

 

"I wanted to go surprise Jonghyun oppa, but it seemed like he beat me to it again."

 

Chaerin turned her attention back to Jonghyun when she said his name. Jonghyun did too, when he heard his name. When their eyes met, they smiled at each other and held each other tighter. Jiyong couldn't bear it any longer.

 

"Let go of her this second, Jonghyun."

 

"Jiyong oppa..."

 

"No, Chae... This is still your work place. No matter what, you have to remember that. Right now, no one knows you are on the show, or that Jonghyun has expressed his wish to go after you. 2NE1's world tour has just started, do you want the rumor to outshine the concert and your comeback?"

 

Hearing the sound reasoning that Jiyong has given, Chaerin pulled herself back from the hug. She looked apologetic for not thinking of the consequences if news got out. Jonghyun saw that, lifted her face up to look at him.

 

"I'm in the wrong too. Don't blame yourself, ok? We will just have to be more careful."

 

After getting Chaerin to nod and smile, he let go of her and turned to Jiyong.

 

"Hyung, thank you for the reminder, I will bear it in mind."

 

"I think you'd better leave now in case word has already gotten out that you were spotted here by the fans. After last night's performance at the concert, the media is probably on the alert."

 

Chaerin looked really worried and Jiyong regretted what he just said. He wanted to reassure her that everything will be alright and that he would not allow any harm to come to her. He was about to speak, when she went into her leader mode. She took out her phone from her bag, and dialed a number. When the call was connected, she spoke quickly to the person on the receiving end.

 

"Boss, can I take one of the nanny vans to get out of the building? Jonghyun oppa is here, and I don't want him to be spotted leaving the building with me alone. Jiyong oppa is here as well, so I would ask him if he would travel together with us."

 

Chaerin's expression was serious for a moment, then something YG said made her laugh.

 

"Yes, he should repay me for all the times that I was used as a cover-up for his dates. Alright, we are in the car park. We will leave Jonghyun oppa' s car here and his manager can collect it later. We will be careful."

 

Chaerin got off the phone with YG, then turned to Jonghyun.

 

"Jonghyun oppa, do you need to go and get your bag from your car and inform your manager to pick up the car later? Someone would be down soon to drive us out of here."

 

"Thank you, you are really a wonderful girl. I'm very lucky. I'd be right back. Just need to grab my bag."

 

Chaerin smiled at hearing the compliment. After Jonghyun walked away, Chaerin turned to Jiyong.

 

"Oppa, thanks for the reminder. Do me the favor of coming along with us. We can have lunch together, and then go to the concert venue together?"

 

"How can I possibly say no?"

 

Chaerin gave Jiyong a quick hug, but just as he was about to hug her back, Jonghyun walked back. He didn't like seeing Chaerin hugging Jiyong.

 

"Chaerin, we are going for lunch right?"

 

Hearing, Jonghyun's voice, Chaerin let go of Jiyong and walked to him. Jonghyun glanced quickly at Jiyong, and he could see that he tightened his jaw. He smiled a little to himself for being able to get Chaerin's attention on him.

 

"Jiyong oppa has to come with us and be our chaperon. He's right. If we are seen together after yesterday, it's not going to be easy to shake off the media. I don't think MBC is ready to announce our participation in the show yet. We might not be able to send you back to the filming location though."

 

"That's fine. I can go back in a cab and then pass my keys to my manager and ask him to pick the car up. I'm bringing you to a cafe that my friend owns so that we can get our privacy. Jiyong hyung, please let it be my treat today since I ate the lunch you bought for Chaerin yesterday."

 

"You were at the venue since lunch yesterday?"

 

"Jonghyun oppa was there before we arrived actually. He set up a food and drinks booth outside the venue for the fans, and got us really amazing food for tea and dinner too~"

 

"You didn't eat anything from the food support, how would you know it's amazing?"

 

"Oppa, everyone commented on how great the food was. They are looking forward to the food tonight too."

 

"The food and drinks booth outside the venue would be there today too."

 

"Oh my~! Oppa, you're the best!!"

 

Chaerin hugged Jonghyun around the waist and looked up to meet his eyes. Again, when their eyes met, the rest of the world melted away. Without words, the two of them expressed their affections for each other. Jiyong looked at the two of them, and he wanted to tear them apart. He wondered was this how Chaerin felt when she had to be his chaperon. Just as he was about to give them a gentle reminder, they heard a honk from the back. YG had arranged Big Bang's nanny van for them since it would be more neutral. And if anyone were to ask, YGE could say that Jonghyun was working on something for Big Bang.

 

"Let's go. Oppa, you have to tell me where we are going so I can tell the manager."

 

"I have the address here on my phone, you can just show it to him."

 

Chaerin took the phone from Jonghyun, but a message notification came up. Chaerin looked and saw that it was a message from Seungyeon. That moment of hesitation caused the phone to go into lock mode. When Chaerin pressed the home button to unlock the phone, she saw that the lock screen picture was one of Jonghyun and Seungyeon's photos from the drama. Even though the name of the drama was there, it still didn't sit well with Chaerin.

 

"Oppa, you need to unlock your phone."

 

Both Jiyong and Jonghyun were alerted to the change in Chaerin's mood and tone. Although she had tried very hard to not let it show, they knew she saw something she wasn't happy about. Jiyong looked at Jonghyun with a questioning look. Jonghyun shrugged, signaling he had no idea what caused the sudden mood change. Only when he pressed the home button of his phone and saw the picture did he realize what the problem was. When he unlocked his phone, he realized that Seungyeon had messaged him. He quickly read the message and typed in a quick reply. Jiyong was looking at Chaerin when Jonghyun took over the phone. The frown that he saw on Chaerin's face when she saw him typing showed her displeasure. Jiyong knew then that Chaerin knew who was the person who messaged Jonghyun, and she didn't like it. Jiyong didn't know whether to be happy or not.

 

"Jonghyun oppa, do you need to go back to the filming location now?"

 

The look of distress on Jonghyun's face told Jiyong all he needed to know: Jonghyun had to go back and he couldn't lie about it.

 

"Chaerin ah..."

 

"It's ok, oppa. I know you are a busy man. You'd better go."

 

Jonghyun walked towards Chaerin and was about to explain to her when his phone beeped again. It didn't take a genius to figure out who was the one who sent the message. Chaerin walked towards Jiyong then.

 

"Jonghyun oppa, you'd better go. Jiyong oppa, would you send me to the concert venue in the van?"

 

"We can go in my car. It's not the first time you have been spotted in my car anyway."

 

"Alright then, let's go. Jonghyun oppa, message me when you arrived at your filming location so I know you have arrived safely."

 

"Chae..."

 

Chaerin had already started walking to Jiyong's car. On her way, she took out her sunglasses and put them on. When Jiyong saw that, he knew that Chaerin was trying to hide her eyes. Which could only mean that she was probably crying. When Jonghyun made to follow her, Jiyong pulled him back.

 

"Leave her alone for now. She needs a moment to herself. You'd better go back to the filming location. She won't like it if you are late and the people you work with gets a bad impression of you because of her. I'd take care of her and make sure she eats something."

 

Jonghyun glanced quickly in Chaerin's direction and then nodded.

 

"Thanks hyung, I'd go back to the filming location now. Please take care of her."

 

"I will."

 

Both men walked towards their own vehicle. The moment Jiyong unlocked his car, Chaerin got on quickly. When Jiyong got into the car and was about to start the car, Chaerin put her hand on his arm to stop him.

 

"Oppa, can we wait a while? Let Jonghyun oppa leave first, and I need a moment to collect myself."

 

"Alright."

 

As Jonghyun drove past Jiyong's car, Chaerin managed a smile and waved at him. The moment the car was out of the car park, the smile fell and she closed her eyes. She swallowed real hard to prevent herself from crying in front of Jiyong. But when Jiyong held her hand in his, her tears fell. Both of them just sat in silence, holding onto each other's hand, one seeking comfort, the other giving it.

 

"Oppa, is this what loving another person does to you? It hurts so much, how do you go through all that pain?"

 

"Chae, you got to admit before the message and whatever you saw on Jonghyun's phone made its untimely entrance, you were happy to see him here. Lov--"

 

Jiyong was about to use the word 'love' when he realized that he didn't want to encourage Chaerin to think that what she's experiencing with Jonghyun is love.

 

"Chae, when you suddenly get all the attention from one single person, it's very difficult to understand that there are other people in his life who would demand his attention and take his eyes off you. You just need to remind yourself not to get in too deep."

 

"But I really like Jonghyun oppa and I know he feels the same way about me too. I just cannot explain why it bothers me so much when it's Seungyeon unnie."

 

"Maybe because you are worried that the both of them have the same kind of emotions as you and Jonghyun. After all, both you and Seungyeon are considered to be his closest work partners right now."

 

"Maybe... Oppa, we can go now. I need to be at the venue soon."

 

"Do you want lunch?"

 

"Not now, I don't think I can stomach anything right now. Thanks for being here today. It means a lot."

 

"Anytime. But you have to eat something. You can't do your rehearsal on an empty stomach."

 

"I really can't eat anything now. I promise I would eat something after rehearsal, ok?"

 

"You are such a stubborn girl. Alright, I won't force you to eat. Since I'm going to be at the venue the whole afternoon, you just let me know when you are hungry. I would go get you whatever you want to eat ok?"

 

"It's ok. I'd just eat from the food support that Jonghyun oppa is providing. You sure you want to be at the venue the whole afternoon? Don't you want to go and rest since I'm quite sure you woke up early today just to come and meet me in the morning."

 

"I'm alright. I just want to hang out with you. I know you'd be busy, but don't worry, I would make myself useful."

 

"Alright, as long as you're sure. Thanks for helping me out again just now. I..."

 

Chaerin's phone beeped and one look at the notification got her frowning just a little, but she opened up the message.

 

FROM: JONGHYUN OPPA

Chaerin ah, sorry for missing lunch. The director moved one of my scenes up without me knowing, so I have to rush back. Have fun at the concert and the after-party tonight. Remember to eat! I love you.

 

By the time she got to the end of the message, she was already smiling, thinking about how foolish she was, getting angry just now. She quickly typed a reply.

 

TO: JONGHYUN OPPA

It's ok, oppa. Work should come first. But I was looking forward to having lunch with you. You work hard, but make sure you eat as well! I will miss you. See you soon, ok? :)

 

After putting her phone away, she turned her attention back to Jiyong. During the time, they have already left YGE. Inevitably, some fans got a quick look at their departure and saw that Chaerin was inside Jiyong's car. They went on social media and "reported" their find. But this came after "reports" of spotting Jonghyun as well. So, speculation in the social media sphere was ablaze, trying to explain Jonghyun's appearance at YGE  and why Chaerin left with Jiyong.

 

When fans at the concert venue saw Chaerin arriving at the venue in Jiyong's car and "reported" it, another wave of speculation went on. Some were saying that he was using her as a cover-up to go and see Dara. Others said he was probably being a cover-up for Chaerin and Jonghyun, but since Jonghyun was not spotted anywhere, that speculation didn't set sail. Some thought nothing of it, saying they were probably working on something at the office before Jiyong was kind enough to send Chaerin to the venue.

 

Chaerin went to the dressing room that Jonghyun set up for her with the help from the WGM production team. She was a little sad that Jonghyun wasn't with her, but she knew that that's nothing they could do since it was work that took him away. When she heard a knock on the door and found herself wishing that it's Jonghyun, she knew she was being really silly. When the door opened to reveal Jiyong, Chaerin was a tad disappointed but she pushed that aside.

 

Jiyong walked into the room with his hands behind his back. Chaerin thought it was weird but said nothing. When Jiyong stood behind her seat, Chaerin looked up at the mirror and both of them looked at each other in the mirror. They smiled. Chaerin grinned and stuck her tongue out at him. Jiyong brought out the bouquet of roses that he went to get for her after he parked his car, and reached round to her front to present with the flowers. Though he was back hugging the chair, he reminded himself that Chaerin was sitting on it.

 

When Chaerin saw the flowers, she was genuinely surprised. She looked at the roses, looked up at Jiyong in the mirror and smiled at him. Jiyong signaled for her to take the roses, and she did. She bent down to smell the roses, looked up at Jiyong in the mirror again, and smiled at him, mouthing 'thank you' at the same time. Jiyong acknowledged her thanks with a nod, then decided to be cheeky and pointed at his cheek and pouted his mouth, telling her that he wanted a kiss. Chaerin looked at Jiyong strangely, then leaned towards the mirror and gave Jiyong's reflections a kiss. She laughed when she saw Jiyong's expression.

 

"Jingyo oppa~~~ You look so cute!"

 

"I'm going to take away your 'Hunchae' nickname because that didn't feel warm at all!"

 

Chaerin laughed again. When Jiyong heard the sound of her laughter, he shook his head, knowing that he would never be able to stay angry when he hears Chaerin's laughter. The next moment, he opened his mouth in shock. Because while he was distracted, Chaerin had turned her head and gave him a kiss on the cheek.

 

"Now, I can't let you take the nickname away, because I like my Jingyo oppa a lot. 'Jingyo oppa' can't do without 'Hunchae'. They are a set."

 

After saying that, Chaerin got up, wanting to put the bouquet on the table next to the dressing table. She didn't make it far before she was caught in a real back hug from Jiyong. Although she had been hugged by Jiyong before, but this back hug was much more intimate than any hugs they have shared before.

 

"Oppa..."

 

"Shhhhh... Can we just stay like this for a while? I miss you so much."

 

Chaerin stayed still. She won’t deny that it felt good to be hugged by Jiyong. She would even admit to wanting to be hugged this way by Jiyong, a long time ago. But she had told herself to not wish for the impossible. It wasn't easy putting Jiyong in the 'just an oppa' box, but she had done it. Remembering how she struggled to accomplish that mean feat, she started to move out of the embrace. But Jiyong held on tighter, because he knew that if he let her go now, he would never get to hold her ever again.

 

"Chaerin ah, I want you to listen very carefully to what I'm going to say right now. Know that I have never been this serious in my entire life..."

 

"Oppa... Stop... Don't..."

 

"Does this mean you know what I'm going to say?"

 

Chaerin bit her lips. She was really conflicted inside. The emotions she thought she had kept dead bolted inside her were slowly fighting to get out. Part of her wanted to listen, the other part was too afraid to. Because she knew she's weak. She knew that Kwon Jiyong would forever be her weakness. Which was why she strengthen herself against him.

 

"Fine, just listen and believe, ok? I lo-"

 

"Chaerin ah! Are you in there?! Are you decently dressed? I'm coming in!!"

 

Xin's voice broke the spell that Jiyong's hold had over her. She quickly got out of Jiyong's arms, put the flowers aside, and fled the room without a second glance at Jiyong. Xin wanted to stop her but when he saw Jiyong inside the room, he knew that Chaerin needed some time alone. He walked into the room and sat down on the sofa. Although he could guess what happened, he wasn't going to step on the minefield labelled 'Jiyong'.

 

Jiyong finally sat down in the seat that Chaerin previously occupied. There were so many thoughts going through his head that he didn't know which one to process first.

 

"Seungho, I'm really afraid now. I can't lose her... I can't..."

 

Xin didn't know what to say to Jiyong because nothing seemed to be right. In the end, he said what he believed Jiyong needed to remember.

 

"Bro, I don't care if you are afraid to lose her now. You had your chances and if she doesn't want to be with you, you can't force her to. You need to remember her happiness is the most important, and if you caused her to be unhappy because you make her choose, I will personally come after you. And really, you couldn't wait till this concert is over? What's wrong with you?!"

 

"I can't wait anymore. Do you know that YG has given Jonghyun permission? Do you know that she is seriously considering a relationship with him? How can you ask me to wait when I'm feeling how close she is to leaving me?!"

 

"Look, you have to give her time. She took a long time to put you in the 'just oppa' box. She is not going to undo that because she knew how much it hurt when she wanted more from you."

 

"Wait, you knew that she likes me? Why didn't you say anything?!!"

 

"Why should I? All you ever did was make her cry! Every single time, when she gets your phone call, she is so happy. But the moment she hears you were looking for her because you needed her as a cover-up for your dates, she lost her smile. But she went anyway, because she knew that she couldn't allow you to be caught in a scandal. Even if it meant that she gets the brunt of all the insults from your fans when she's spotted with you."

 

"Was that why you volunteered yourself whenever I needed a cover?"

 

"Of course. I have better things to do with my time. I couldn't bear to see her having to hide her tears and put on the strong front for you. Your girlfriends didn't make it easy for her either. You do realize that when she's around you, you tend to shift your attention to her. Do you know how many times your girlfriends have to remind her not too politely that you belonged to them? Some of them even spread vicious rumors about her within our circle of friends. Haven't you realize that some of our 'friends' are now avoiding her? So..."

 

Xin's phone beeped and he looked at the screen. Without a word, he picked up Chaerin's costumes and started to make his way out. When Jiyong tried to follow him, he shook his head.

 

"The best thing you could do for her right now is stay put. She needs to stay focused and you in close proximity isn't going to help. Stay here, wait till Youngbae gets here, then you can go see the girls. And please don't throw a big fuss if she decides to ignore you. Just wait, I'm sure she would talk to you after the concert."

 

Without waiting for a reply from Jiyong, Xin stepped out of the room. He stopped outside, took a deep breath and then walked to the girls’ changing room. When he arrived at the room, he saw that Chaerin was sitting alone staring into space. The girls looked at Xin and asked silently what’s wrong with her. He shook his head and then went to Chaerin.

 

“Chae… I’ve got your costumes for you. We still have a little time, let’s go out for some fresh air, ok?”

 

Chaerin looked up when she heard Xin’s voice. She gave a weak smile and nodded. Xin reached out his hand to pull Chaerin from her seat. She whacked his hand away.

 

“Aigoo~ Oppa! I’m not a old lady. I can get up on my own!”

 

“Fine! Let’s go.”

 

Chaerin kept her smile on till she left the dressing room. The moment the door closed behind her, she started frowning. Xin saw the quick change and just linked her arm with his. Chaerin leaned closer and rested her head on Xin’s shoulder.

 

“Don’t worry too much about Jiyong. You just stay focused and finish this concert today. I told him not to come to the dressing room until Youngbae arrives. So you are safe till then.”

 

“I don’t know what to say to him, to be honest. And now, it’s going to be awkward because I can’t pretend that I do not know what he was going to say to me.”

 

“Just tell him the truth. If you think that it’s impossible between the two of you, tell him that so he can start getting used to the idea that it’s impossible.”

 

“That’s the thing, I don’t know. I reminded myself when he back-hugged me just now, of all the pain that I used to go through when I wished for more with him. But there’s a part of me that still wants to be with him, no matter what. And there’s Jonghyun oppa too. I really like Jonghyun oppa but a part of me worries if I would ever like him as much I used to like Jiyong oppa. Argh! This is frustrating!”

 

Chaerin was close to tears towards the end of her rant. Xin could do nothing other than gather her in a hug.

 

“Chae, just remember, I’m always here for you. I only want you to be happy. No matter who you choose in the end, that person has got to make you the happiest woman in the world. Otherwise, I’m not going to approve of the relationship. I don’t care if Jiyong is my friend, or Jonghyun is the perfect guy, I care only about your happiness.”

 

“Maybe I should be with you instead! But knowing your taste, I would never qualify as a candidate for Yang Seungho’s girlfriend~ Thank you, oppa. I know you have always been there for me.”

 

Xin hugged Chaerin closer, biting his lips in order to stop himself from correcting her assumption that she would never qualify as his girlfriend.

 

“But oppa, you have to let me know when you are attached. It’s embarrassing when I turn up at events with you and then you introduce me to your girlfriend. I have been taken by surprise one too many times. I want to be your girlfriend’s friend too, but not knowing puts me in an awkward position.”

 

Chaerin released herself from Xin’s hug and sat down at the bench near the lobby. She looked at the support cart that Jonghyun had set up for the fans and a smile found its way to her face.

 

“Oppa, I really don’t know how it would be like to be in a relationship with Jonghyun oppa, but he makes me want to try. Like you said, I should be happy, and so far he has been doing that. Although he did make me upset just now. Not really his fault though. I’m just super sensitive when it comes to him and Seungyeon unnie.”

 

“It’s normal, I guess. Just listen to your heart, and you would be fine. Enjoy your time with him and see how it goes. It’s not like you are in a rush to get married. No, before you say anything like you are already married, a TV program is still just a TV program. It’s going to get a little complicated because you are not going to be able to separate reality and fiction. Just be very careful. I don’t want you to be hurt if it doesn’t turn out to be the way you envision it to be.”

 

“Being hurt is part of the package. I might not have been in a relationship before, I do know what it’s like to like someone and to be disappointed. But I guess being hurt means that the feelings were real.”

 

“You are going to be fine. You are the best thing that can happen to any guy.”

 

“Yes, I am!”

 

“Feeling better? Let’s go and dress for rehearsal. Have you had lunch yet?”

 

“I’m not hungry yet. I will eat after the rehearsal.”

 

“I will make sure that you do. Let’s go.”

 

Just as they got up, they heard some screams and turned to see that Youngbae had just arrived. Chaerin brightened up when she saw him.

 

“Bae oppa! You came!”

 

Youngbae caught Chaerin in a hug when she went towards him. He lifted her up and twirl her around, causing her to scream.

 

“Let me down!!”

 

Youngbae laughed and put her down after 2 more twirls. He didn’t release her immediately because he didn’t want to let her fall in case she was dizzy from the spins.

 

“I’m so glad to see you! Are you staying for the entire concert and the after-party?”

 

“Yes, yes, yes, how can I not? It’s been awhile since your comeback, it’s only right. Where’s Jiyong? I thought he said he was going to meet you at the company?”

 

Chaerin’s excitement visibly dimmed and she stepped out of the hug.

 

“He’s in my dressing room. I told him to get some rest since he must have woken up early to come and meet me. You will find him there. Come, I’d show you where it is.”

 

Chaerin started walking towards her dressing room. Youngbae knew something wasn’t quite right, so he asked Xin what’s wrong. Xin just shook his head and told him quietly to ask Jiyong about it. When they arrived at her dressing room, Chaerin knocked and upon hearing Jiyong’s voice, opened the door.

 

“Ji oppa, Bae oppa is here.”

 

Jiyong looked up with his phone to his ear when he heard Chaerin’s voice. He whispered a quick goodbye before hanging up on the person he was talking to.

 

“Chae…”

 

Before he could finish, Jiyong’s phone rang again. Chaerin saw Kiko’s photo on the screen and knew that she was the one calling. She gave Jiyong a quick smile and signaled for him to answer the call. She turned back to Youngbae and pulled him into the dressing room.

 

“Wow! Since when do we get such amazing amenities in our dressing room?”

 

“Jonghyun oppa and the WGM crew did it for me~! Cool right?! I’d leave you to wait for Ji oppa before you come over to greet the other members. Xin oppa, we need to get ready for the rehearsal, let’s go.”

 

Xin waved goodbye and left the room with Chaerin. There was an odd spring in her step that wasn’t there before.

 

“Chae, you ok?”

 

“Couldn’t be better~! Let’s go!”

 

“No, explain yourself. You were down just now, suddenly you are like Spring’s reincarnate. Don’t lie to me, I have known you a long time.”

 

“Nothing really, I just got the reminder that I should invest in something more real.”

 

“I’m not sure I get what you mean?”

 

“You don’t have to know, oppa. Everything is alright.”

 

With that, she went into the dressing room and relayed the message that Jiyong and Youngbae were in the building to the other members before she settled down to get ready for the rehearsal.

 

Back in the dressing room, Jiyong answered Kiko’s call and pretty much shouted at her.

 

“I’M TELLING YOU IT’S OVER!!”

 

“Was that Chaerin’s voice I heard just now? Why did you have to hang up when she’s around? Didn’t you say there’s nothing between you?!”

 

“Look, I don’t have to explain anything to you. Just know that it’s OVER between us.”

 

“Why? Did you finally realize how much you love Chaerin?”

 

“You are right, for once.”

 

“You know you will just be hurting her if you try anything now. You have hurt her way too much in the past.”

 

“I know, but I’m going to do whatever I can to stop all the pain I have inflicted on her. Goodbye, Kiko.”

 

With that, Jiyong hung up on Kiko for the second time in 5 minutes. But when he recalled how Chaerin had the resigned smile on her face when she signalled to him to pick up the call, he hit the wall, knowing that that was the worst thing that she could have seen after his failed attempt at telling her his feelings for her.

 

“ARGH!!!”

 

“Care to tell me why Chae was unhappy when I mentioned you just now?”

 

Jiyong took a deep breath and turned to face Youngbae.

 

“When I arrived at YGE today, Jonghyun was already there in the office with YG, asking him for permission to be with Chaerin. YG has given them his permission. Chae is really happy about it. She told me that Jonghyun had told her that he loves her. I got scared and tried to tell her about my feeling for her.”

 

“Really, on her concert day? Who was the one who told Jonghyun off? So you have been here, trying to tell Kiko about what happened? Is that your way of making her trust you more?”

 

“No, I’m sure she misunderstood the whole situation. You know what’s scary? She looked happy to see that the caller was Kiko. Which is totally different from how she looked when she saw Seungyeon messaging Jonghyun.”

 

“Ok, hold up right there. Why Seungyeon all of a sudden?”

 

“She’s the female lead in Jonghyun’s drama right now. Chaerin is super sensitive when it comes to Seungyeon and Jonghyun.”

 

“You mean she’s jealous?”

 

Jiyong was hesitant to admit that, because jealousy could only happen if the feelings is real. But it’s not something he could deny either. So he nodded.

 

“From Chaerin’s point of view, she has every right to be upset with Jonghyun though. He did tell her that he loves her, wants to be in a relationship with her but seems to be close to his co-actor.”

 

“That’s why her reaction when she saw that it was Kiko who was calling and didn’t even show any surprise or unhappiness is worrying.”

 

“Why should it be? To her, if you are still with Kiko, then she could disregard your attempt at confessing your love for her and she can continue keeping you locked in the ‘just oppa’ box.”

 

“That’s what I’m afraid of!!”

 

“This is what she’s going to think. Anyway, I didn’t come to hear you make wrong moves. Let’s go see Chaerin and the girls. She should have told them of our presence in this building by now.”

 

Just then, they heard music coming from the auditorium. Youngbae took a look at his watch and realize that it was probably their rehearsal time.

 

“Let’s go watch their rehearsal before saying hi to the girls.”

 

Jiyong nodded and the two best friends walked out of the dressing room. They bowed to all the staff members whom they met along the way and finally reached backstage. They decided to stay at the wings because this was the open rehearsal and fans were present. Both of them had their eyes on Chaerin the entire time, her every move, every smile, every flick of her hair, her whole being was art to their eyes.

 

“She has grown so much as a performer since their debut. I really hope that Boss will let her debut properly as a solo artist.”

 

“Oh, you mean you haven’t heard? She will. Boss has already talked to her about debuting in the US. The company has been in talks with Scooter Braun.”

 

“No, I didn’t know. Which means she’s going to be away from Korea?”

 

“Looks that way. She’s probably more well-received internationally than Korea anyway. And she’s definitely capable of more than just the Korean market.”

 

Just then, they heard the fans say “Chaerin ah, thank you very much!”, and Chaerin was smiling broadly.

 

“Is this for the food cart outside? Did all of you eat well?”

 

At the loud ‘yes’ from the fans, Chaerin broke out laughing.

 

“Glad that you enjoyed the food. Please have some rest and get ready for the concert later!”

 

The girls took a bow and left the stage. The girls were all teasing Chaerin about the food cart and how her hubby took such good care of her. When they reached backstage, Youngbae suddenly jumped in front of the girls, causing Bom to scream out loud. When she saw that it was just Youngbae, she hit his arm for scaring them. After that, they exchanged greetings and made their way to the dressing room. Jiyong was going to approach Chaerin when Xin came up behind her and handed her her phone. Taking a quick look at Xin and then at the screen, she took the phone from Xin, mouthed ‘thank you’ and walked off in the opposite direction.


AUTHOR'S NOTE: I didn't realize I have been sitting on this chapter not being updated for so long. I kept thinking I have already updated to Episode 12... sigh... age is catching up. It does not lie. Anyway, hope you enjoyed the chapter. See you soon, maybe in Puppets? :p