Unmasked

O, Mio Babbino Caro

Another slew of these murder nightmares haunted Kangnam's nights for the next few days. He did manage to find out that Bommie's son seemed to be adopted to Tiffany after watching her hold the boy in another dream. This must've been the child that she had raised, but never spoke of. Kangnam couldn't imagine what would drive someone to kill this child. Also, he still didn't know why Tiffany would take in Bommie's child, considering that he was a Shadow child. The two races weren't on very good terms, to put it lightly.

Since answers usually garner even more questions, Kangnam paced back and forth in room a lot. It seemed that after he had started Dreaming about this murder, that's all he did. Even those around him noticed it, though they didn't say anything. They just left the prince to sit pondering on the whole affair, Kangnam not even knowing that the answers were all walking around him.

In the afternoon, both King Wu and Tiffany went to Kangnam's room. The prince was lying on his bed, thinking and mumbling as he had been for a while.

"Baby," Tiffany sat on the bed, "whatever's been bothering you is affecting you too much. You've lost some weight and you barely come out of your room anymore."

"Please, Kangnam," King Wu sighed, "just leave your mind here and come play some Pandoran Chess with me."

"I'm not in the mood," Kangnam answered, the murdered baby still on the forefront of his mind.

But the prodding of Kangnam's father and palace mother proved too much in the end, and he found himself playing chess for the next few hours. It was the first time in several weeks that Kangnam had fully smiled. Seeing that helped to alleviate King Wu's and Tiffany's worries, even for that one afternoon. Kangnam ended up beating his father several times while he lost only twice. After that, the prince was dismissed and he decided to read for the remainder of the afternoon.

After Kangnam left, Tiffany stayed with King Wu in the library, wanting to talk. She had gone to one gifted with Sight the night before to inquire about Kangnam, and had some unsettling news.

"Are you sure that's what she said?" King Wu frowned seriously.

"Yes," Tiffany nodded. "She said that there would be no more prince after tonight, though she did not say how. I can't imagine what could happen. You had better have him sleep by you and I will put a protective spell around you two and the room. We'll have extra careful guards tonight who are more than proficient in magic and swordsmanship."

"If that's what the Seer predicted," King Wu felt himself on the edge of tears, "I doubt there's any way we could prevent it. But if you feel we should take the extra precautions, so be it. In case anything should happen, however, you should talk to him before he goes to bed. Tell him you love him, or anything you need to say."

That was the second time Tiffany saw the King of Pakma cry.


Kangnam felt a strange wave of dread that evening, despite having just about the whole castle doting on him more than usual. The kitchen prepared him his most favorite meal and dessert, both of which were rare. Joonmyun took the time to play board games with Kangnam, despite the never-ending responsibilities as head butler. Even the particularly crabby maids gave him smiles, all of which made Kangnam just a little suspicious. And when night fell, Tiffany kept the boy she had raised in her arms, never letting him go.

"What is with everyone today?" Kangnam chuckled. "They were so nice to me, even the mean ones. And even you're holding me tighter than ever."

"I don't know," Tiffany tried to hide the sadness in her voice. "I guess we just haven't been showing you just how much you mean to us, especially since you spend much of your time alone lately."

"I'm sorry. It's just that there's been nightmares that have been bothering me."

"You haven't even told me or your father about them. Why do they bother you so much?"

Kangnam sighed before answering. "I just believe I was given this gift so that I could bring justice."

"To whom?"

"Sims."

Tiffany was shocked at his answer, so much so that she couldn't reply.

"He..." Kangnam began, "he was your son, wasn't he?"

"Yes, Kangnam," Tiffany closed her tearing eyes. "Yes, he was. His name was Jongsoo, actually."

"Did you ever find who killed him?"

Tiffany broke into a full sob at the question.

"Don't worry," Kangnam took her hand, "I'm going to find him soon."

It was then that Tiffany understood how the prince would be no more. As she sent the boy she considered her son to his father's room, she kissed him and said goodbye. Kangnam didn't understand it yet, but he would grow to cherish that last farewell from his palace mother.


"Tell me, son," King Wu smiled as he lay on the bed with Kangnam in his arms, "how are you feeling?"

"Spoiled," Kangnam spat. "I hate being pampered like a baby."

King Wu let out a hearty laugh to mask his sorrow. He wanted to spend the last night with his son as best as he could. Although Seers' predictions were sometimes deemed unreliable, King Wu had seen enough of their power to know that it was true. When they were lucky, their bad visions were symbolic, but most were brutally literal. King Wu didn't know which one was worse when it concerned his own son, but he prepared for the worst.

"Say," King Wu spoke again, "do you remember when Tiffany and Joonmyun took you swimming when you were seven?"

Kangnam burst out laughing. "Yes, they were completely soaked when we returned."

"And if I remember correctly, you had pushed them into the lake as they were changing. The water was clear and they blushed in each other's presence for months afterwards."

The father and son both laughed hard at the memory, sharing much more for the next several hours. King Wu kept his son in his arms, holding tigher ever minute. Kangnam felt so safe in his father's arms, and fell asleep within minutes of saying goodnight. It was the first night in so long that Kris slept with Kangnam in his arms, yet he still felt he couldn't protect the boy from this close. He stayed awake through Kangnam's snoring for nearly an hour, but let sleep overtake him when nothing happened.


Countless times, Kangnam had found himself here in the forest behind the cloaked man setting the baby boy down. The prince watched once more as the man whispered an apology before taking the knife up and plunging it through the child. No matter how many times he had watched it before, Kangnam always cringed. He still couldn't comprehend how heartless a man had to be to kill a baby boy. But there was something about this time that had Kangnam confused.

He was still in the dream.

Kangnam gaped in shock, wondering how he hadn't woken up, but he was thankful as well, because he was finally going to see who this murderer was at last. Finally, Kangnam could hunt this man down and bring him the punishment he deserved. Kangnam's heart began to race as the cloaked man stood up and wiped tears from his eyes. He threw the dagger in some random direction and turned around. Time slowed down as Kangnam was extremely anxious to finally look truth in the eye. The cloaked man turned around, tears streaming down his face.

Kangnam recognized him immediately.

He screamed.