My People

O, Mio Babbino Caro

The Prince of Pakma had a long walk home. He barely noticed anything he passed because his mind was so busy. The more he thought about his life, the more he realized that there were very little interactions with the Shadows and the Water Beings. Kangnam knew now that he needed to find out more about the world he was destined to rule. He would not allow it to be torn. The people themselves, however, would be the ones to decide whether or not all could live in peace.

When Prince Kangnam was nearing the street to the palace, he could hear the faint, slightly drunken gathering of the Shadows and the Water Beings. Although he hadn't known that they were discriminated against, Kangnam knew that they liked to gather in a bar owned by them. Only now did he realize that it may be the only place they are accepted, which caused a great sadness in his heart. The future king didn't want broken nations.

A bit scared, Kangnam walked toward the bar and gathered his courage. He wanted to show the two races that he cared, that he was going to be different. After standing outside of the bar pondering on what to say, he went inside, not knowing if he would even be allowed.

Inside the bar, there were men and women drinking and gambling. They were so caught up in their own worlds that they didn't even notice the Light Being entering. No one except for a middle-aged woman, that is. She smiled an evil smile and laughed.

"Prince Kangnam," she whispered.

Those two words were heard through the clamor, and all went silent. Everyone in the bar stopped and looked in disbelief at the prince, who only stood there awkwardly and tried to smile.

"Hello," Kangnam squeaked.

"What brings you here, Your Highness?" the scary woman spoke.

"I came to...see you."

"What makes us so special? We're only Dark and Water Beings."

"You say that like it should be a bad thing. You're all my people, and I want you to know that I will treat all of you like my own."

"Why should we believe that rubbish?" an old man from the crowd spat.

"I swear this is not a joke," the prince continued. "I know it's been hard after the war with the Light Beings, but things can change. I want to help make that change."

"So young," that first woman sneered, "and so naive. Do you think the other Beings will accept us so easily?

"I will. Is that enough?"

"Enough?!" the woman stood in anger and approached the boy. "After everything I was put through as a Shadow, how could anything be enough to appease the raging fire of hatred in my heart?"

Kangnam listened. He figured it was the best thing he could do at that moment. But he could hear much more than just hatred in the woman's voice, there was obvious sadness as well. As to why she was sad, the prince couldn't guess.

"I'm very sorry on behalf of my people," Kangnam bowed. "What's your name?"

The woman stayed silent in shock. No other Light Being had ever been so...gracious since the war. In fact, the whole bar was watching in awe.

"Minzy," she sighed. "My name is Minzy."

"Nice to meet you."

With another bow, Kangnam left the bar still gaping at what they had just witnessed. That was something everyone at the bar would be talking about for many days to come.


In sweet sleep, Kangnam found himself in the halls of the palace. Although it was unmistakably before he was even born, the paintings of the Lineage of Light on the walls were proof enough. Hurrying servants ran through the halls carrying blankets and small articles of clothing. Most of them were servants Kangnam hadn't even seen before, but there were a few younger versions of the ones that still work in the palace. In curiosity, Kangnam walked in the direction they were headed.

Past the gleaming pottery and the magnificent tapestries, Kangnam followed the commotion. As he was running, he began to get an idea of where they were going, but didn't venture to say where just yet. After all, this was the palace before his arrival. Left and right, he zig-zagged alongside the butlers and the maids until they finally stopped at a certain door. Kangnam was right.

They went into the room that would eventually be Kangnam's.

After catching his breath, Kangnam sighed and went through the door; he wasn't physically there, he learned. Inside, people were huddled around something, which raised the prince's curiosity. He went around them and peeked through, realizing why they were so excited.

Leaning against the wall, a young and beautiful Tiffany sat with a little baby in her arms. The baby boy was sleeping and covered in a linen blanket. He had a soft glow on his face that was present in all baby Light Beings. It was impossible to miss the love with which Tiffany looked at the boy. Kangnam was touched and broke into a rather large smile. He had never seen her look so happy or so bright. The prince walked over and placed a gentle, and non-palpable, kiss on his "palace mother" and the child she was holding.

He would never forget such a beautiful dream.