The Prince of Pakma

O, Mio Babbino Caro

King Wu was startled awake by his son screaming and thrashing, presumably from his dreams. He shook his son and gently called his name. Kangnam's eyes shot open and the first thing he saw was his father, but he backed away quickly and soon fell from the bed. He crawled backwards and never took his eyes off of his father.

"How could you?" Kangnam gasped.

"Kangnam," King Wu sat up and frowned, "what are you talking about?"

"How could you kill a child?"

King Wu couldn't answer such a question, except with tears as the memories came back.

"You don't understand," King Wu choked out.

Kangnam stood up and shook his head.

"Let me explain," King Wu called out as he watched his son run out of the door.

The Prince of Pakma ran out of the palace, crying and ignoring the numerous guards calling his name. Tiffany watched with both anger and regret, deciding it was best to let him go. Although he knew it was a lost cause, King Wu put all of his energy to see it he could catch up with his son, but to no avail. He stood by the palace gates in the rain, waiting and watching for someone he knew wouldn't return.

King Wu went back to his bed. He waited that night for Kangnam to return. He waited the next day too. He waited the next week, even the next several months for his son, but all in vain. In that time, King Wu continued doing his best for Pakma, though everyone could see the toll losing his son took on him. He lost weight, lost many emotions, but Tiffany and Joonmyun were there to comfort him in any way they could. Never once did they go to a Seer to ask where Kangnam was, because they knew he would only come back when he was ready.

During the Light Celebration where the city gathered in the palace to remember the first Being of Pakma, King Wu was there, though more because he had no choice. Through the reenactment and the partying, he didn't parttake in any of the fun. Even after several months, he still missed his son. So after everyone left, he immediately retreated to his room and sighed. Never did a day go by that he didn't want to see Kangnam again, especially how he left so suddenly.

"Father."

King Wu looked up at Kangnam's whispered voice, daring to be hopeful. But alas, no one was in the room with him. The king wondered if his grief was driving him mad.

"I'm here, father," Kangnam's voice whispered again.

"Where are you?" King Wu began to sob again.

"I took a Bukentai-yaku," Kangnam answered. "I will remain unseen for several hours."

"Kangnam? Are you truly here?"

"Yes, father. I've come to give you a chance to explain, so start explaining," Kangnam's voice was colder than it ever had been.

"I'm so sorry, Kangnam. I didn't mean for you to find out."

"Whether I found out or not, you still killed that child."

"I know," King Wu continued crying, the memories of the boy haunting him. "He was the Prince of Pakma...or he would have been."

"You killed your own son?"

"He was half Light Being..." King Wu paused. "Half Shadow."

"Bommie?" Kangnam finally understood. "That's why she hates us?"

"Yes. I have never been more sorry in my life than for that one thing. But it had to be done."

"You couldn't give him back to his mother?"

"The first son of the King must be christened the Prince of Pakma, no questions asked. No one knew of his Shadow mother, but they would find out when he matured. Do you think the people would have been happy with a half Shadow prince? If I hadn't killed him, they would have."

"I've heard enough."

"Kangnam, wait," King Wu stood up, not sure where to look for his son. "Kangnam?"

No answer. King Wu felt the tears begin to flow down again, but a light shh had him look up. A letter slid under the door. The king quickly bent down to take it, curious as to what it was. He opened the envelope and took out the letter.

"Dear father," it began.

"I love you, always have and always will. This revelation just shocked me and tested that. No matter what you did, I'll still love you. I'm sorry that I've been gone for so long, but I needed the time. Don't worry about me, I've been taking good care of myself with the Water Being on the outskirts of the city. He's been teaching me many things about the body and how to care for it. I'm telling you this because I'm leaving. I won't be at the Water Being's place.

"I'm going to travel all over Pakma, through the coast of the Water Beings, the volcanoes of the Fire Beings, the canyons of the Earth Beings, and the eternal night of the Shadows. If I'm going to rule this world one day, I want to know my people, whether or not they hate each other. It's my dream that through what I learned on my travels, I'll be able to unite them. I know this is going to be hard, and coming back to rule it will be even harder, but as the Prince of Pakma, it's my duty.

"I'll come back before the coronation on my 18th birthday. That time will come before you know it, so don't worry yourself sick. Tell Tiffany, Joonmyun, and my mother not to worry too. And tell them I love them. I love you too, father. When I return, I'll be more fit to be the prince than I ever have been. Until then, take care of yourself. Again, I love you.

"Farewell, Kangnam."