Mugging

Lost and Found

The nephron is the structural unit of the kidney. It comprises a cup-shaped structure called the Bowman's capsule that contains a knot of blood vessels called the glomerulus. 

School just ended, and Seyeon was making full use of her time memorizing her Biology textbook. Final exams were in three weeks. There just wasn't enough time. It was The Final Exam of her final year in Mallory High, and it was crucial that she aced it: to be able to enrol in a good college, and to prove her worth of the scholarship. Her fate lied in her last three weeks of preparation.

"Ugh what a nerd." Bethany and her clique strolled into class. They liked to loiter around and gossip for a bit before heading off to some high-end restaurant for lunch.

Seyeon ignored her.

The glomerulus receives blood from the afferent arteriole, which arises from the renal artery. 

Seyeon truly wanted to do well during her exams. Bethany, on the other hand, didn't see the importance of the exam. With some help from her Daddy Dearest, she could pull a few strings, and easily get herself a pass- exactly what she had been doing for the past four years. If things didn't work out, she could pay her way into an English boarding school. They'd accept her with open arms.

"I've already ordered my prom dress. It's custom-made." Bethany boasted.

The Bethlets inched closer. "How does it look like?" 

"Beautiful. Just wait and see. I hope Josh notices me." Bethany cooed.

The walls of proximal convoluted tubule are lined with microvili to increase its surface area. 

Seyeon couldn't help but overhear their conversation. It seemed that they were discussing about prom. Prom, was a week after the Final Exams. It was a joint event, with boys from Mallory High's brother school, Kingston High. There was a guy from Kingston called Josh Kim. Seyeon had heard of him, only because everyone in school talked about him. He was the head boy, captain of the football team, really good at his studies, and supposedly really good looking. "Plus he's Korean", girls might add. Bethany was head over heels for him. 

Seyeon didn't care. She didn't want to socialise. Prom was insignificant. The dress could wait, she could probably get a simple one a few days before the event  Studies came first. Those girls needed to get their priorities right. 

"Oh he will. Even if you wear a potato sack, you'd be prettier than some people." a Bethlet sneered, obviously referring to Seyeon. 

Seyeon sighed. She closed her textbook and gathered up her notes. She packed up her bag quickly and proceeded back to the boarding house. She tried studying in class, just for a change of environment, but her study session was continuously disrupted by the Beth squad. It was evidently unproductive. She'd might as well just go back to her room, where it was peaceful.