oos

Flowers for Kyungsoo

 


 

Kyungsoo rewrites the words over and over again in his new vocabulary notebook.

 

 

All the ones from his old notebook was transferred here and rewritten. Ms. Luna went through his progress reports and immediately decided that the first thing to work on other than his chicken scratch was grammar. It’s Progress, not progres, said, not sedwhen, not wen. It was frustrating for him to understand why "ph" was used instead of "f". Hard vowels, soft, the basics were covered and repeated until it was engraved in Kyungsoo's mind.

 

Said, said, said, said, said...

 

When, when, when, when, wehn...

 

"Ms. Luna?" Kyungsoo mumbles as he continues writing.

 

Lafed, lauhfed, laughed...

 

"Yes, Kyungsoo," she looks up from her study plans, her attention to the younger man across from her.

 

"Why...why do I need to draw these little lines here?" He points at the 'little lines'.

 

"Those are called commas. We use them for punctuations," Ms. Luna explains, "We'll learn more about those tomorrow."

 

Silence fills the room once more as his mind runs a blank. He forgets about his question and the word "punctuations" going in one ear and out the next.

 

Snap.

 

Kyungsoo halts and places his dull pencil down. With a black sharpener in his grasp, he slowly shaves off strips of wood. 

 

Snap.
 

"Ms. Luna, can you sharpen this for me?" He hands her the black box and writing utensil, "It keeps break...breaking."

 

Ms. Luna flashes a kind smile and replies with a quick, "Sure thing." His instructor quickly makes the stubby pencil into a point and hands them back to him, soon returning to her work.

 

"Thanks."

 

No words were exchanged as Kyungsoo continues to write the same letters over and over again. Time flies and soon, a whole page and a half are full of make-shift words.

 


After the long spelling sessions with Ms. Luna and many rounds with Dubu, Kyungsoo’s brain was completely fried. The last thing he had to do for today was a quick check up with Dr. Kim. It was the only thing that he was looking forward to that day and was the only reason why he was being so well behaved.

 

Kyungsoo was situated in yet another square shaped room. Not as many posters hung on the bleached white walls, framed pieces of paper replaced them. Dr. Kim’s office was fairly small compared to the huge labs Ms. Luna showed him during the tour. Medical supplies scattered around the room and right behind the desk that Kyungsoo was sitting in front of, was a window and two TV sized computers on a dark wooden desk. One office chair allowed Dr. Kim to roll back and forth between the bright screens and files and files of paperwork. Kyungsoo waited to be acknowledges but the long period of silence only made him tired.

 

"Kyungsoo-nim,” his eyes shot open and immediately focus on the tall man in front of him.

 

"Y-yes, Dr. Kim Jongin?" 

 

The other lets out a soft grunt, "Just Dr. Kim is fine," he said for the nth time. 

 

"But I-I like saying Dr. Kim Jongin.

 

The said man gives up on correcting the other and continues, "Never mind. I'm here to do another check up. How is the wound healing?" he asks grabbing a nearby clipboard.

 

"Umm...it's fine I-I guess," Kyungsoo shoves his right hand under the hat Yixing bought for him a week ago and carefully runs his fingertips across the bumps, "Hyung said that it's not that red anymore."

 

Dr. Kim writes down Kyungsoo's blood pressure and heart beat before shoving a thermometer into his open mouth, "May I see it?"

 

Kyungsoo nods slowly and reluctantly pulls off the knit hat to reveal a head full of black stubby hairs. There was one long incision starting from the top middle, close to his forehead, and stops a few inches above his nape. The black stitches have been itching for the last few days but when Kyungsoo's hands attempted to relieve that itch, Jongin was quick to stop him. The smaller feels ashamed for his actions and sits on his hands, preventing them from causing any further damage.

 

"We'll be able to take them out in a day or two, it looks like," he observes.

 

Beep. Beep. Beep.

 

His body temperature was normal as well; so far, Kyungsoo showed nothing out of the normality. Scribbling in his notebook, Dr. Kim notes for Kyungsoo to go to speaking therapy to hopefully fix the stuttering. If the surgery was as successful as he thought it was, the older would be able to take in information faster than a regular human, following Dubu's footsteps in the experiment. 

 

"Kyungsoo-nim, I have something for you," Jongin places his clipboard on his desk and goes behind it, opening a drawer.

 

"W-what is it?" Kyungsoo's eyes widen in surprise. 

 

“It’s an iPod,” Jongin pulls out a silver nano and sits in front of the other.

 

Kyungsoo knew what an iPod was. Yixing plugs in the little rectangle contraption into a speaker and then soft music would flow out of it. But why would he need another music player? He doubts that it’ll help him learn anything. Maybe it is just a gift from the kind man.

 

“Does it have music?”

 

“Not exactly,” Dr. Kim places the silver object on the desk and waits for Kyungsoo to take it.

Once he has his curious hands fiddling with the ear plugs and buttons, Dr. Kim continues to explain its purpose, “They are recordings from informational shows and books. I want you to listen to them when you’re asleep.”

 

The gears in his head were definitely not turning, he couldn’t comprehend the logic behind Dr. Kim’s reasoning but he doesn’t question him either because Dr. Kim Jongin is the smartest man in the world.

 

“Ok,” Kyungsoo presses play and the buds fill his ears with the soft voice of a woman.

 


 

A/N: HAPPY SUPPER LATE LUNER NEW YEARSSSSSS~ I lost like all my money from gambling ;u; This chapter took longer than it supposed to but the short length irritates me like crazy. My brain is fried too ok. The next few chapters will be Kyungsoo's progress reports and hopefully I'll be able to write another one today to update later in the week. Thanks for reading this horribly planned out story and hello to the new subsribers!!! (but seriously were the heck did you guys come from). Please comment/sub/upvote! 

Yay for 200+ total unique subs~

 

(140208)