Just Friends...sort of.

The Skin Game of Life

Nichkhun's POV:

Two weeks have passed since my little getaway moment with MiYoung, and things have changed a lot since then.

For starters, after two and a half months of working at the Golf House, I finally felt like part of the bunch. I had grown incredibly close to all my co-workers, epsecially Chansung, that jackass. He was the prankster, joking kind of friend, quick when it came to messing with others but slow when it came to real-life issues. But the giant had and even bigger heart, and he was incredibly loyal.

Junho, on the other hand, was head of the caddie management, and was in charge of bossing everyone around and making sure we were all doing our job. He was logical, serious and responsible. The problem with him, was his obsession with women. He took advantage of his boss position to lure the maids into going out with him, and his way of speaking to girls had them on their knees in two seconds. Rumors flew here and there of Junho hitting on every female employee at the Golf House, but unfortunately, he had a very specific target. Lee Jiyoung, the sweetest most shy and respectful of all maids, was his fobidden apple, and constant victim of his endless flirting and sweet talking that caused the poor thing nothing but discomfort. But even after getting rejected on a daily basis, Junho is still determined to make Jiyoung fall for him.

Next, is the loud and monstrous Taecyeon, who is monstrous only because of his big and muscular shape, and happened to be an extremely caring person who always looks out for the smallest ones. Sort of like a kind troll. Cherry sure did love that guy (she actually swore on her life she was marrying him in the future).

Speaking of Cherreen, my co-workers' relationship with me was growing at the same rate with her too, and instead of going back home after school, she took a bus all the way to the Golf House to pay everyone a visit, and to use them as her personal monkeys to get free snacks and trips to the training grounds where she played golf with random costumers she found. She managed to win over every staff member of the place, and everyone loved having her around, she brought a strange, fun vibe to the place.

But there was someone who enjoyed Cherry's company more than anyone else, and that was Hwayoung, the ahjumma receptionsit. That woman was on a whole different level. She had small eyes and huge, 50's style cat-eye glasses and permed hair. She was a little over 45 years old but liked gossip more than any old woman I've ever met. She was aware of anything that happened in that Golf House and knew everything about its cutsomers, and she treated both Cherry and I like her nephews. I owed her so much for taking me in so warmly.

And last...there's the dreaded MiYoung. Dreaded because things had grown hard and awkward between use since we looked into each other's eyes that night. It was obvious when she tried to avoid making a conversation and she hid from my gaze all the time. It frustrated me to no end but she had her reasons to act like that and I was in no right to barge into her life. We were frinds and nothing more. Plus, I was pretty sure that someone like me would never be good enough for her. She was way out of my league.

The uncertainty with Miyoung had me all worked up, and Hwayoung noticed my change in attitude.

"Khun, honey, you've been really quiet recently is everything ok?" She asked, while I was leaning against the reception's front desk one day, waiting for MiYoung to arrive for her daily lessons. I was completely spaced out.

"Huh?" I asked, snapping back to Earth.

She clicked her tongue once. "Ehhh, I know you've been acting weird 'cause you're crushing on the Kang princess, don't think I know nothing 'bout that."

I blinked a few times. "What are you talking about? And who told you that?!"

"Cherry."

"Damn it." I hissed, snapping my fingers. That kid knew too much and had little control oer .

Hwayoung giggled like a schoolgirl. "Oh Lord, how cute! It's ok sweetie, what are you so worried about?"

"Don't laught at me, you know how impossible the smallest idea of 'her and I' is! She's marrying some other rich dude who's much more capable of giving her what she deserves and I, on the other hand, have nothing to offer." I answered bitterly.

Hwayoung stared at me for a while through narrowed eyes.

"Excuse me Nichkhun, but from the very first time I met you, I have admired what a courageous and strong young man you are. But I see no traces of him right now." She answered, emotionless.

"And let me tell you something, if that MiYoung girl can't see, or refuses to see what an incredible, warm gentleman you are because you ain't got a coin in your pocket, then she's nothing but trash and does not deserve you." She ended her statement by pointing a polished finger at my chest.

I hesitated. "You...think?"

"Absolutely."

I sighed loudly and leaned forward to kiss Hwayoung on the cheek. 

"Thanks. old hag." I said jokingly.

"Oh!! Stop it Nichkhun!! You know I blush real hard wen you do that!" she cried, holding both sides of her face with her hands, blushing six shades of red.

I laughed at her flustered expression and she slapped my arm softly.

"By the way, I've got an interesting piece for you." she said, clearing .

Here comes another one. "Ohh Hwayoung, who's wife slept with who this time?" I asked.

"Shut up, kid it's not that. It's about...Chansung." she whispered the name.

"What about him?"

"He's got himself a girlfriend last month."

"Who?" I asked, not really interested.

"Your Annie."

I almost choked on my saliva. "WHAAT?!!" I yelled.

"Shhhhhh! Quiet down! Cherry got it out of her last week while she was at your house. I don't know how she does it but that kid's good at collecting information."

"That's her talent." I answered.

"Anyway, I was hoping you could get some details from Channie, you know, the juicy stuff." she whispered, leaning closer to me.

"You need a shrink, woman." I shook my head in disbelief.

"Whatever, just get it out of him. I hate secret relationships."

At that moment the front door kicked open and MiYoung walked through with a mortified look on her face. Here we go again.

"Good morning Hwayoung-ssi...Nichkhun." she bowed at both of us.

"Good morning sweetheart! Nichkhun's all ready for your lesson. Go ahead now." she answered, a little to excitedly. She gave me a significant look, ordering me to take MiYoung away. I made a gesture to MiYoung with my hand in direction towards he fields and she began walking to the doors.

I followed a few steps and turned around to give Hwayoung a panicked look. She mouthed 'Fighting!' from the front desk.

 

 

No One's POV:

President Jang and Chief Kang observed MiYoung's practice from a distance as they both discussed her future and the Golf House's.

"They're getting way too close, Donghwa." President Jang whispered a little.

"Who?" Chief Kang asked hestitantly, pretending he didn't know who he was talking about.

President Jang chuckled. "Don't play dumb, Donghwa. You know very well who I'm talking about."

Chief Kang swallowed hard and looked away from the snobbish president.

"You daughter and the coach...Mr. Horvejkul."

Chief Kang started perspiring cold sweat.

"The last name sounds familiar, doesn't it?" President Jang said, slowly.

"I-I swear, Sanghyuk, that's not what's getting in the way...It's just that they barely know each other and it's hard for them to get together, that's all."

"Well, I don't think I'm willing to risk it." President Jang interrupted. 

"What does that mean?"

"It means, that I'll have to make Wooyoung speed things up, we can't wait until the tournament to sign the papers...something might come up."

Chief Kang swallowed even harder, he was worried about forcing his daughter into this but he knew there was no other way to save the company, and it would be better to just speed things up before secrets came out.

"Fine, I'll make MiYoung cooperate a bit more."

"Please do. I have no intentions of dealing with spoiled brats anymore." President Jang replied coldly, walking away from Chief Kang and into the lobby, where his bodyguards were waiting.

Chief Kang continued to watch Nichkhun and MiYoung practice for a while longer, perspiration running down his forhead all the way up to his chin. He was terrified about the outcome of the plan and his beloved daughter's future, but he knew it was the only way to keep his past burried in the ground forever.

 

 

Nichkhun's POV;

MiYoung's lessons were quiet and to the point, just like every lesson for the past two weeks, and the silence was growing more uncomfortable with every second.

"MiYoung, I..."

"Nichkhun, I'm sorry." she interrupted.

"What?"

"I know I've been avoiding you, even though we see each other every day. It was rude and pointless, sorry. You really don't deserve that."

My breath was a bit ragged but I managed to snap out of it in time to answer her puppy-like eyes.

"It's fine...I understand why you're avoiding me. I...had no right to take you away or say anything to make you question your life, I'm the one who's supposed to apologize."

She smiled so warmly it took my breath away. She was beautiful.

"Nichkhun, you are way too kind. You made me feel so much better about myself like no one has ever done before...I...owe you so much." she whispered, her voice cracking at the last sentence.

"But, you also gave me enough confidence to accept my future the way it is, no matter what I have to do. Thanks to you...I can finally face things head on and without fear." she continued, with a coldness that I'd never heard before in her tone, and that sounded fake at times.

"What are you talking about?" I asked, terrified.

"I mean...that we can only be friends Nichkhun. I have accepted my destiny and...it's not with you..." her voice trailed off in pain.

I could hear my heart dissolving inside of me.

"Oh." I whispered, obviously butthurt. Gosh I was such a girl sometimes.

She kept quiet, probably not knowing what to say next, she was just as speechless as I was.

I guess I should have seen this coming. It was ridiculous for me to think that I had the slightest chance, especially when she's being forced into an arranged marriage set up by two wealthy korean magnates, one who, by the way, is my boss. I knew I had no place in her life as something more than her supportive friend, and I guess I could live with that. At least she was not going to shut me out anymore.

"I'm sorry I led you on...I had no right. And don't worry, I'm happy to be here for you as a friend...as long as you're happy."

MiYoung cringed a little at the word 'happy', but tried to hide it so I wouldn't know it.

"Thank you." she whispered.

At that moment, I saw an advantage that I didn't have before. Now that she had established our relatinship as 'just friends', I guess it wouldn't hurt to actually treat her like one, which meant more time spent with her, even though I didn't want to believe a single word she said.

, what a masochist.

"Well, I have idea. Let's celebrate our friendship tonight." I said, faking excitement.

"How?" she giggled, a little more lighthearted.

"There's a small staff party tonight at the Staff Lounge, everyone's gonna be there and even Cherry and Annie got invited. You could join us."

Her eyes widened a little.

"B-But it's a staff party...and I'm not exactly part of the staff."

I chuckled. "It's friends getting together to have a couple of beers and chat, it's not like you need a name tag that says 'staff member'. "

She smiled soflty. "Will you be there with me? Your friends are...intimidating. Plus, I don't think they want the boss' daughter there, wouldn't that be uncomfortable?"

"I'll make sure they treat you as a part of the bunch. I'll be there all the time." I said the last thing as softly as I could, to emphasize a little.

It worked, for she blushed and looked down. Something told me she realized her previous words where completely hollow and had no effect on her...or me.

"I'll try to make it." she answered.

At that moment we heard the soft brushing of feet against the field's grass, for someone was approaching us with cautious steps.

A man with small, slanted eyes and spiky, black hair came before us. He was dressed in obvious designer clothes and even though he looked wealthy and mighty, he gave off a shy aura.

"May I interrupt?" He asked, with a sly smile directed towards MiYoung.

"Wooyoung?" MiYoung's voice was of controlled panic.

I assumed this was her fiancee. .

"I'm sorry coach, but I'm afraid I have important business with this lady." he said to me this time, throwing me a friendly smirk.

"What are you doing here?" MiYoung did not sound pleased.

"Well. I made reservations to the Le'Claire, your favorite restaurant. I'm here to take you away." he said confidently, like nothing could stop him from doing it, not even me.

"I'm in the middle of practice, I don't think Nichkhun would-

"You should go- I interrupted- we already reviewed this part anyways, no worries." I smiled warmly at her, trying to ease up the tension in her eyes.

She looked at me with hesitant eyes, understanding that even though I didn't believe crap about her 'being ready to accept her destiny' speech, I understood that it was still not prudent to try and break her engagement off for me, even though we both wish she could.

"Fine, let me just get  my things ready." she answered, with her eyes still locked on mine.

Wooyoung kept smiling to himself, pretending he was completely unaffected by the situation. I had to at leat praise his dilligence to get to her.

I saw MiYoung walk away with Wooyoung slowly, turning her head back to me once to give me a regretful smile that made my heart skip a beat.

A few seconds later I got a text from her;

Nichkhun,

I'm sorry, but I don't think I'll make it tonight,

thanks for inviting me anyway. I guess it'll be until next time.

Thanks again.

-MiYoung

 

I sighed heavily. It was no use.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

heart.png

Hello there! I know, it's been almost two months since my last update and believe me, it's been killing me. This is not as easy as it looks, lol. I'm so sorry but to make up for it, I'm updating tomorrow as well, so please anticipate that one! I hope you like the story so far, I have so many things planned! THANK YOU!!!! -Taemaximum

PS; SORRY IT'S SOOOO LONG! I GOT CARRIED AWAY LOL