In the Shadows

The Skin Game of Life

WARNING: LONG CHAPTER AHEAD!! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

 

MiYoung's POV:

Light shone through the cold, clear glass, invading my empty bedroom and creeping up my face until it forced my disturbed eyelids open. The warm, summer morning welcomed my well-rested being, promising nothing more than beautiful hope to my future, like nothing could go wrong today.

That was, obviously because my day hadn't even started yet.

I shook off my blanket and stretched my body happily, with a huge smile on my face. I got up to se the intense rays of sunlight that were desperately trying to break into my bedroom through the concealing curtains...it was that typical summer sun.

I usually had nothing positive to say about summer, since I was basically born a snowflake. I loved winter and it's pure, white magic...but I despised summer and its cruel heat and rays of sunlight that made me feel is if my skin was being penetrated by some sort of laser. 

But not today.

Today summer meant, in many ways, peace. The air around me was heavy with clouds of peacful oxygen, relaxing my entire being as I breathed in slowly in and out. I hadn't felt so undoubtedly happy in such a long time, and I had to admit I was desperate for that level of tranquility. It felt as if my future was finally beginning to look bright...

My reflexion was interrupted by three quick wraps on my door.

"Miyoung?" my father's voice boomed from the other side. His voice sounded hesitating.

"Umm...yeah?" I answered, confused.

"May I come in?" 

This got me even more puzzled than the fact that he was knocking on my door all of a sudden, since both my parents had the habit of barging into my room when ever they pleased. To which I responded by acquiring the habit of changing clothes in the bathroom.

"Umm...sure?" 

I sat down on my bed and heard  the door creek open behind me and while looking over my shoulder, I saw my father peeking his head through the smallest crack possible, searching for me with his eyes, as if he was embarrassed to be coming in the room and wanted to make sure he was allowed to do so. I immediately knew something was up.

The man walked into my room slowly, adverting his eyes from me the whole time and looking around at the walls and furniture instead, but then came to sit on the chair near my bed.

"Did you sleep well?" he asked, as he sat down.

I giggled a little as his question brought back memories of my continuous midnight escapades with Nichkhun for the past week and a half, where we would run away to places like the basketball court in construction, the rooftop where his apartment was located, or somewhere as simple as the inside of my car, where we would spend hours and hours talking about random things like our favorite colors, or laugh at stupid things like Hwayoung's hairy mole on her cheek and deep conversations like the delicate subject of my mother's death. We had laughed, cried and smiled together in that time, but more than anything, we had come to know each other inside out.

And once we both ran out of saliva to keep talking to each other and were too tired to go on, I would usually fall asleep with my face burried in his warm embrace, forgetting about any problem that could possibly disturb our fragile peace.

"Like a baby." I answered, smiling widely.

"I'm glad." A plastic smile covered his face and it made me uneasy all of a sudden.

A long silence followed, and it invaded every single part of my room, making the atmosphere as awkward as it could possibly get. Neither of us looked at each other.

My grumbling stomach miraculously interrupted the uncomfortable feeling, and it brought my father's attention back to me instead of the walls, which probably had deep holes in them from all that staring he was doing.

"You're hungry, aren't you?" his voice was overly excited.

"Yeah...I didn't eat dinner last night."

He shook his head in exaggerated disappointment and took my hand so I would follow him out the door and down the stairs towards the dining area. His palms were sweating bullets.

"Don't worry, I'm sure Se Mi prepared something delectible." he said, as he sat me down on a random seat at the table. Se Mi was our cook.

As if she had been called, Se Mi appeared from behind the kitchen door with a delicious plate of bluberry pancakes, my favorite breakfast since I was a small child. She made some everytime I was depressed or in the least bit troubled,

"Ahh! Thank you Ms. Se Mi, you may also bring  my plate so I can have breakfast with my dearest daughter." My father's dramatic play script was becoming more and more evident. We hadn't had breakfast together since my mother passed away, and it had been 11 years since that. Why was he suddenly so eager to have breakfast with me? Or any meal for that matter...

Se Mi's eyes became puzzled at my father's order, and cleared to collect her thoughts.

"Umm, so you'll have another plate of pancakes, Mast-"

My father's eyes widened in the purest form of panic and he jolted forward to cover up Se Mi's mouth with his large hand, startling the poor cook.

"Ha-ha-ha yes, Se Mi, please bring out a plate for me as well, I've had nothing to eat just yet!" his voice was trembeling ridiculously as Se Mi struggled to break free from the strong grasp my father had on her arm, and when she finally did, she scratched her head while furrowing her eyebrows in confusion, and left in direction of the kitchen.

I knew the reason behind her confusion, besides the fact that she had let slip that my father already had breakfast (which I already knew, since he never ate before or after 6 am), but also the fact that my father hated blueberry pancakes from the day he was born.

I decided to go on as if nothing happened, and dug into my pancakes with great hunger, while my dad took a seat accross from me. I felt him boring holes into my face with his intense stare, and I tried really hard not to seem like I noticed. I looked up a couple of times and he would immediately look away when I met his eyes. I wondered what words he was trying to get out his system so much...

"Miyoung, I need to tell you something."

There they were.

"What is it?"

My father cleared his throat once and straightened his pose, something he did to feel in full control of his authority.

"President Jang has requested an evaluation."

At that moment, Se Mi came back with my father's plate long enough to hear my his words, to which her eyes widened towards me. She knew all about Nichkhun because of Raph, and the worry was more than evident.

I smiled at her to ease her tension, but the truth was I was just as worried on the inside. She left quietly after setting the plate in front of my father, all the while trying to switch off the panic in her face.

"Miyoung did you hear what I said?" my father asked impatiently, his tone changing the sweetness from before.

"Yes, I did. But I don't understand why you had to do all of this to tell me that." I blurted out.

My father's tired eyes fluttered at my statement and he let out a nervous chuckle.

"What makes you think that? Can't I have breakfast with my daughter?"

"You hate bluberry pancakes and you haven't had a meal with me since my mom died."

My quick reply surprised him and it sort of lit up a spark inside of him, a spark of anger. But he was trying really hard to conceal it.

"I't's never too late to start, huh?"

"It's been 11 years..." I muttered under my breath. He was pretty late in my opinion.

I saw him bang his fist against the table form the corner of my eye, his anger had finally blown up. It took literally nothing to change my father's mood from sweet to beastly in 2 seconds.

"Stop that! You are going through this evaluation whether you like it or not! It's part of your marriage process!!" he yelled.

I scoffed. "I never thought marriages needed that sort of thing."

I heard my father sigh angrily. "You have to. If not there's no deal. And also, if you pass his personal evaluation, whether you win the tournament or not does not matter!"

"I can't believe you actually think I want this marriage, dad." the sadness in my voice was obvious.

"Nobody said you had to." he made his last statement strong and authoritative, rising from his seat and going out the back dooor toward the garage, where I heard the loud screeching of his car's engine.

I sighed and crossed my arms on the table before resting my head on them. I suddenly felt Se Mi behind me as she put a hand on my shoulder. I looked up at her and she was staring at me lovingly.

"Honey, I know you'll figure something out."

I chuckled sadly before  answering. "I really I hope I can, because I don't see what Wooyoung has done to cancel this and time is slowly running out."

Se Mi nodded and reach out for my father's untouched plate of food. 

"Here. Have your dad's pancakes. I'm sure you need them." she said, pinching my nose slightly and leaving towards the kitchen once again.

I ate the pancakes sadly, but eagerly, their sweetness settling my heart...and I wished they would settle my erratic brain.

But something I was certain of, was that I had to speak to Nichkhun immediately.

After I finished my breakfast I ran upstairs into my bedroom and grabbed my phone from the top of my night table and dailed Nichkhun's number as fast as my fingers allowed me to.

"Hello?" he answered after the second ring.

"We've got trouble."

"What's up?" his voice became attentive,

"My dad scheduled an evaluation with President Jang."

His side of the line was silent for a few seconds before he answered.

"When?"

"I don't know, but I'm pretty sure it's soon. Business men don't like to wait according to my father."

"Alright then, we'll do it. We just have to work hard to pretend you're not crazy about me." he chuckled humorously.

"Ha-ha, it's serious. This means the whole deal is still on like absolutely nothing happened:"

"That Wooyoung dude sure likes to take his time with things, huh?"

"Don't say that he must be terriby pressured."

He scoffed quietly. "Fine, whatever. But his pressured self is making things harder for you."

I laughed. "Well, aren't you cute when jealous?"

"Don't mock me you bug."

"I'm I seeing you tonight?" I said, my voice rising cutely involuntarily.

"Can't. I'm going to Cherry's art exhibition. She's been working on her painting for a month a half now."

"Ohh that's right! Tell her I wish her the best of luck then!"

"Don't you want to come?" he sounded eager.

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah! You know how much Cherry likes having you around."

That was true, ever since Cherreen found out Nichkhun and I saw each other every night, she would try to catch any glimpse of us she could get, and tried to barge in every conversation we had. She asked me all kinds of questions and even said she wanted to grow up to be just like me. She is in many ways like the sister I always wanted,

"Your sister's the best." I replied.

"I know. Anyway, I gotta run I'm late for work."

"It's a Saturday, Nichkhun." I said, matter-of-factly.

"I know, but I'm working extra shifts now, I'm saving up for a bigger apartment and they're not exactly super cheap here in Seoul."

"I understand...I wish you could come live here with Cherry." I laughed at the impossibility of my dream.

"Hey, hey, hey, aren't you supposed to be pretending that you hate me." he said jokingly.

"Shut up. Good luck Khunnie." I said softly.

"You too. No matter what happens, stay calm and don't panic. We'll find a way."

"Alright. Bye."

"See you soon buggie." He finally said, hanging up.

I stared at my phone for a while, the panic Nichkhun was talking about was beginning to creep into my heart. I knew that pretending there was nothing between us was easy, but I didn't know why I felt like something fishy was going on behind that whole evaluation thing. Something was not right.

 

 

 

 

 

No One's POV:

The ringing of a cellphone disturbed the peace of the nearly empty office room, and a dark figure that casually stared out the large window behind the ostentatious president desk, turned around and reached forward to answer the phone call he had been expecting for the past three days.

"Hello?"

"President Jang, I inform you that your orders have been followed, the leak is ready to begin the investigation job."

The President smirked. "Good. Make sure the job is carried out perfectly. No mistakes. You know what the consequences for them are. Make sure that person is fully aware of that."

"Yes, President. We'll make sure everything is done flawlessly."

President Jang hanged up the phone and continued to stare at the window, his face contorting until it formed an evil smile.

"You are not getting away with this, Nichan:" his voice was deep and sinister.

"I'll make sure of that."

 

 

Nichkhun's POV:

The caddie locker rooms were quiet except for my slow footsteps as I put on my uniform for the day. The dreaded day of the evaluation had finally arrived after two weeks of extreme nervousness, my poor MiYoung was beyond impatient and even though I tried my best to comfort her, it did nothing but rattle my nerves as well.

My thoughts were suddenly interrupted by the loud sound of someone running in my direction. I looked to the side and saw Taecyeon running towards his locker, which happened to be next to mine. He was completely out of breath and was holding a lump of clothes in his hand.

"Slow down big guy, what's wrong?" I asked.

Taecyeon panted heavily as he took off his shirt. "I have a new job." he managed to say through heavy breathing.

I watched him as he put on a trainer shirt on. "You're a trainer now?"

"Well not really, but I was asked to do a training job." his breath hadn't slowed down yet.

"Explain yourself." I demanded, leaning against the lockers. He tossed the characteristic white caddie polo into his locker and continued to fix his black trainer polo.

"There's this new Japanese business client that wants to have golf lessons here, but when they asked her to select a trainer, she specifically requested having an experienced caddie train her instead." his stupefied expression made me laugh.

"Did I hear right? 'Her'? It's a she?" I asked tauntingly.

Taecyeon's eyes widened even more as his smile streched from ear to ear. "Thats right."

I laughed even harder at the giant idiot. "And they chose you to be her trainer?" my voice sounded incredulous.

He swayed his big arms in the air as his expression showed nothing but disbelief. "I don't know either!!" he shouted excitedly.

"You don't know what either?" Chansung asked as he walked into the locker rooms, late as usual.

"Taec was chosen to be a Japanese business woman's new personal trainer." I explained.

"YOU?!! That's NOT fair!! Why do you ALWAYS get the the girl clients?!" Chansung was fumming as he slammed the door of his locker close.

"That's cause the business ladies that come around here have good taste." Taecyeon flaunted.

"Shut up. I always get the ahjummas..." Chansung muttered.

I laughed at the dorks and continued to arrange the things inside my locker, when I heard Junho walk into the room.

"Taecyeon, your client's here." he announced, earning an eager smile from Taec.

"Behave." Junho and I warned at the same time, while Taecyeon responded with a careless "yeah, yeah, yeah."

Taecyeon followed Junho towards the lobby while Chansung and I trailed behind like a pair of children. Once we got there we were greeted by Jiyoung, Hwayoung and Jungkook, the golf house's best trainer. 

"What's going on? Where's the famous business woman?" Chansung asked.

"Her name is Nana Hurosaki. And they're escorting that new princess into the building. Our poor Taecyeon is about to get a handful." Hwayoung answered with a hint of annoyance in her voice. Or maybe it was jealousy...

I laughed a little and gave Hwayoung a soft backhug.

"Don't worry Hwayoung, you're still the only princess here." I whispered in her ear to .

"You brat!! Get off me! You know that makes me blush!!" Hwayoung shook off my arms and began fanning herself as she blushed furiously.

"Why do you think I do it?" I said, sticking out my tounge.

"Shhh! Here she comes!" Jiyoung hissed.

The woman that walked into the Golf House's main entrance was beyond what words could describe. Creamy white skin, lucious, long black hair that formed small waves near the end. Long, slender legs and sparkly large eyes that radiated confidence with every look she gave. Her walk was fierce and intimidating and was elegantly dressed from head to toe. The exclusive aura she was giving off put everyone in the lobby under some kind of trance. She was truly a stunning person to look at.

"I have never dispised Taecyeon so much until this day." Chansung hissed.

"You have a girlfriend, young man." Hwayoung commented.

"Well...yeah, that's true." Chansung's voice immediately cheered up.

We continued to watch as Taecyeon was introduced to his new client, who greeted him with an extremely friendly smile compared to the fierceness of her presence, and I swear I could see Taecyeon's brain shutting down slowly. He kept staring at her with the goofiest face he could have ever made and everyone around him was probably dying of second hand embarrassment.

"Jeez, he might as well just start drooling." Jungkook the trainer growled.

"By the way, hyung-nim. Why didn't you get this training job assigned?" Chansung asked.

"I have no idea. The only thing I heard was that she personally requested one of the most experienced caddies to be her trainer, and other than Junho, Taecyeon's the one."

Everyone nodded in understanding but a hint of uncertainty still lingered in the air around us. Why did she HAVE to be trained by a caddie?

~

Later on that day, after I had no more clients left, the time for the evaluation was drawing near, and I started to get the jitters again.

"Nichkhun-ssi, is everything okay?" Jiyoung's voice was soft in my ear.

"Sure, why wouldn't I be?" I asked. Her eyes fluttered.

"Nichkhun-ssi, you've been filling up that paper cup for a a while now, you're spilling everything on the floor."

I looked down and the paper cup I was filling with water was beyond overboard by now and there was a considerable puddle of water growing larger and larger by the second underneath my feet.

"Aisshh." I hissed, a little annoyed at myself.

"Hey, we know about the evaluation today." She said hesitantly.

My eyes widened. "Who told you that?!"

"Cherry told Hwayoung and she-"

"I get it." I interrupted. I had to stop telling my sister everything.

"Don't worry, we've all got your back." She reassured.

"What?"

"We're all sorry for your situation with Miyoung, and whatever we can do for you guys, concider it done. Golf families do that." She laughed at the cheesiness of that last sentence.

"Nice line, who came up with it?"

"Chansung." She giggled.

We laughed together at the sentimental fool's words, and I admit it relaxed me a little.

"Thank you Jiyoung, you're all awesome."

At that moment the doors of the lobby opened and through came Miyoung along with her stern looking father. The look on her face did nothing to calm my nerves and as I locked eyes with her, I realized my expression might not be helping her much either.

"Mr. Horvejkul." Her father boomed at me with fake pleasure.

"Good afternoon, Chief Kang." I answered, bowing a straight 90 degree angle.

"I hope you are both ready for this evaluation, since it's far more important than the competition itself."

I saw Miyoung swallow hard from the corner of my eye and I smiled at her father.

"Please trust your daughter's skill, she has been very dilligent this past 3 months."

The man nodded and walked towards the field doors, leaving both of us behind.

"What's with the flood?" I heard Miyoung say.

"What?" I looked down and realized I was still standing underneath that puddle of water from earlier. Jiyoung had disappeared like a puff of smoke."

"It's not...pee...is it?" She sounded awfully terrified.

I shot her a panicked look. "No!! Don't think that, I just spilled my water by accident."

Her face relaxed and laughed it off, but it sounded more like an 'I've gone insane' kind of laugh.

"You're not okay, are you?" I asked.

"I could easily faint." Her voice dropped dramatically.

I inched closer to her, swallowing her into my arms as tightly as I could, trying to calm both of us down. "We'll be fine." I whispered.

~

The figure of the imposing man walked towards the three of us as a few bodyguards trailed protectively behind.

"President Jang." Chief Kang greeted with an exaggerated bow, as if the king had walked in.

Miyoung and I bowed as well while Jang looked down on us with great superiority.

"I'm glad we have come to do this once and for all. I have been wanting to see your improvement, Miyoung-ssi." He said, instead of saluting.

"I won't disappoint you, Sir." She answered while lowering her head. To see people as rich and powerful as the Kang family were, reduce themselves and lower their heads before such a man as President Jang, was beyond my range of comprehension. Why should them, or anyone, have to be looked down at like that just because he had more money?

I held my head up high as he directed his instense eyes towards me.

"You must be Mr. Horvejkul, I understand this is our first offical meeting." He held out his hand to me. I took his hand gingerly and the man flinched at my touch, as if an electric current had passed from me to him.

"I'm honered, Sir." My voice sounded ironic.

Jang tilted his head to the side with an awkward smile, pretending our handshake had done nothing to him, even though I didn't even know what it had been.

"I assume you have trained her as they ordered you to."

"With all the effort in my body, Sir." Jang sighed as he let go of my hand.

"Very well then, let's begin."

~

Even though I knew she'd do her best, I couldn't hide the fact that Miyoung had surprised me. Her game was on point, and every swing of the club was swift, elegant and experienced, like she was already a professional golfer. She executed every move I taught her flawlessly, and even added some tricks I thought she never payed attention to. She had performed beyond my expectations and even made me feel a little bad for underestimating her. I was so proud of her, and by the look on her father's face, he was too. I supposed golf ran naturally in the Kang's blood, but in Miyoung's case, it just had to be awakened.

My lovely student completed the three games President Jang requested perfectly. I could see he was impressed.

"Well, well, well, Miss Miyoung. You surely have amazed us all." He taunted. Miyoung bowed respectfully and thanked him sincerily.

"I can definately tell you now that I am absolutely willing to have the wedding sooner than the time estipulated. You have earned it." His statement came out with a hint of menance, as of he was dying to see Miyoung's reaction.

Miyoung kept looking at the floor as her eyes widened, but soon looked up at the President while trying to control her panicked expression.

"Soon? May I ask...how soon?"

"As soon as possible, Miss. I'll willingly arrange everything with Wooyoung so that you just have to show up to the fittings and the wedding itself!" He exclaimed, as a excited as a dying oyster would be. Gosh the man was a walking bucket of fake.

Miyoung's father celebrated as my ears went deaf for a second, my brain trying to process the new information. Miyoung was going to get married sooner than the 6 months that she agreed upon.

I didn't even want to think how soon... I felt a light squeeze on my left arm as Miyoung held onto me for dear life.

"By the way, Mr.Horvejkul, I was meaning to tell you something before." Jang continued as he turned around to face us once again and Miyoung simultaneously dropped her grasp from my arm.

"Yes?" I answered, just in time before he had to repeat himself.

"Besides congratulating you for your outstanding work of training this young lady, you happen to remind me of an old friend..." His voice trailed off as if he was trying to picture that person's face, a face which he clearly remembered but was trying hard to pretend he didn't.

"You don't say?."

"Yes, an old business partner that died tragically many year ago...you give off the exact same aura he did and I can't help but feel there's a connection." He smiled.

"I doubt there is, President Jang." I assured him.

"Yes, there probably isn't. Anyway I just wanted to point that out. He was very dear to me but was quite the competition. Too bad I can't remember his name."

"It's a shame, Sir."

"Indeed. Well, I suppose we are done here. Donghwa please come along with me to the office so we discuss wedding topics. Good evening young ones." He ended the conversation there and walked off towards the lobby with Chief Kang.

"Soon." Miyoung's voice whispered in an out of breath tone.

I walked over to her and after giving her a small hug, I kissed her forehead delicately.

"We'll find a way." I whispered back.

"What if there is no way? I'm I just going to marry someone I'm not even interested in?" Her pained voice broke my heart.

"I'll never let that happen."

 

 

 

 

 

No One's POV:

Chief Kang continued to look out the window of the expensive car, his heart pouring out with feeling of pride for his daughter. She truly had improved from zero, to almost professional.

"He will be quite the obstacle, Donghwa." Jang whispered to the quiet Kang.

"Who?" He asked.

"The Nichkhun kid." He answered, with a fake chuckle.

"But...why is that exactly?" Chief Kang wanted to know.

"Let's just say your daughter is as good of a liar as you were a long time ago." He ended his statement with that and began looking out the window himself.

 

 

And while Nichkhun and Miyoung embraced each other in comfort...a slow figure moved closer to them from the shadows, quietly observing even their smallest interactions with the cunning eye of an eagle.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

heart.png

Hey there!! I know...THAT WAS LONG!! But I really wanted to make up for not updating for almost a month, and I'm truly sorry, but finding time to do this is slowly getting more complicated. But don't worry! Mid-year vacations are coming and that means three weeks off!! Thank you for putting up with me! Love u!! -Taemaximum

 

--------------

UPDATE!

Jesus sorry for that horrible one-paragraph thing! I updated form my phone and that happened lol. Sorry 'bout that!