Falling Slowly

The Skin Game of Life

MiYoung's POV:

Two months have passed since my first lesson with Nichkhun, and things were progressing inmensly.

I was able to complete a single short game with no more than 10 , which for such a newb like myself, was pretty impressive, even for my mini-golf standards.

Nichkhun was a marvelous instructor, he was patient and kind and was always willing to listen to any of my worries, no matter how stupid they were, and he would then proceed to comfort me in the most effective way possible, never failing to make me feel extremely sure of my capabilities. I owed him all my progress.

But more than his exceptional teaching, I owed him all the emotional support he was giving me throughout my learning, even though he knew nothing but the basics of WHY my father was forcing me to win the Winter Tournament, and not how tedious it was to deal with my un-responding heart towards Wooyoung.

Him and I were on nice terms from our very first date, and even though I gave our relationship as future husband and wife a small hint of hope, it soon flopped after I developed nothing but a great appreciation for him as a friend.

The sorrowful feeling that washed over me everytime Wooyoung tried so hard to slowly make me fall for him made me miserable on a daily basis, he was always attentive and sweet and would look out for me everyday, but I felt NOTHING towards him. This dragged the hours with him and even though he was nice company, he could be overbaring sometimes and I knew it was all because of the pressure our parents were putting on us, but I still could not help the overwhelming feeling of running away from him.

Being at the golf house helped me release all my stress on my training, and Nichkhun's company was more than comforting.

We were taking a small break one day, when my phone suddenly rang.

"Hello?"

"MiYoung, we need to talk." my father said impatiently.

"Yes, father?" I let out a tiny sigh.

"I heard from Chief Jang that you're being un-responsive towards Wooyoung. Is that true?" he sounded angry.

I closed my eyes and pinched the bridge of my nose in frustration. Nichkhun furrowed his eyebrows with a worried look on his face.

"Father, please, I'm trying my best but it's not my fault I don't like him that way."

"I don't care MiYoung!! You're risking our company's well-being! So either you start getting serious, or there will be some terrible consequences for you!!" He snapped angrily at me, hanging up without another word.

I let out an agnsty sigh and sat down on the grass a few feet away from Nickhun, completely helpless.
I tried my best to not let the tears in my eyes fall, but they did anyway, and I saw Nichkhun stiffen from the corner of my eye.

"It's ok, you know." He whispered softly after a few minutes.

"What?" I asked, as I tried to hold back a sob.

"To tell me everything. I know I am in no right to make you tell me what's going on, but it might help you make your heart at ease. I won't pressure you though, because it seems like you've got enough of that already."

His voice was soothing and filled with compassion, he inspired nothing but trust.

I inhaled deeply and wiped a betraying tear away from my face. I needed to let it all out, and even though he didn't know me so well, Nichkhun had listened to me more these past two months than my dad ever did.

"You must know my situation already....everyone knows."

"It doesn't matter what I may or may not know about you, Kang MiYoung. What you have to say and your side of the story is what really matters. Facts beat gossip any day." He said confidently. Every little thing he said ripped right through me, encouraging me more and more each time.

I finally blew up.

"I'm being forced into everything you know? This whole marriage thing I mean." I began slowly.

Nichkhun nodded as a sign of agreement.

"Well, things haven't been working out as planned and I see Wooyoung less and less like a lover each day. He is the perfect man and any girl would give anything to be in my place, I'm sure of that. But it's not my fault that Wooyoung is nothing but a caring friend to me.

I took a deep breath and continued.

And all of this would be much easier if Wooyoung felt exactly like I do, and if my father and his family weren't pressuring me to treat him like a fiancee, because apparently my family's business is way more important than I am." I dropped my head and looked directly at the floor as I felt more hurt feelings coming out to the surface, setting me free once and for all.

"I've never felt enough, you know? I had to grow up fulfilling my father's expectations of me and to the point that I'd always put aside my own desires to accomplish his. I lost my voice, my willigness to be heard and I learned how to supress my own feelings and opinions to simply obey quietly. I've never been able to be myself or had the chance to make friends because I grew up with an image of how I was supposed to be, not what I wanted to be.

By now the storm that was coming out of my mouth was making me sob even harder.

And yet...I'm still not enough. Even though I have agreed to every single one of his orders and I even agreed to marry a stranger for him, he still makes me feel like a complete disappointment. " I let out a small whimper at that last sentence and I felt a pair of arms wrap around my shoulders, pulling me down into Nichkhun's chest, where I continued to sob in sadness.

"When will I ever be enough?" I muttered into his shirt.

"You are enough." He said simply, dropping honorifics and my left arm.

"What?"

"MiYoung, you've worked so hard these past few months, trying to be perfect because of your father. I've seen you practice harder than most athletes I've met, and your dedication and commitment are amazing...and if your father can't see that, it's ok. You have to live for yourself now, he's got his entire life sorted out already, while yours is barely starting, you have the whole future ahead of you and you're wasting your time living for other people, while you're left behind with nothing but a broken heart. You've done everything in your power to please him already, don't torture yourself for it, you've been great."

Those were the most sincere words I'd ever been told in my entire life. I felt so much trust and pride coming from his words that I actually felt appreciated after a lifetime of feeling insufficient. I finally felt like someone cared.

I looked up into his eyes to find nothing but sincere worry in them, his orbes sparkled like never before underneath the sunset, but this time, out of pure sadness.
He stared back at me in silence for what seemed like forever as I got deeply lost in his eyes.
I saw him blink a few times before he cleared his throat and dropped his hold on me, resting his hands on his lap in an awkward manner. I blushed furiously and looked down at my hands, truly embarrassed.

"I'm so sorry, I never meant to you use you as a tissue or anything, forgive me if I made you uncomfortable." I said soflty.

 

 

Nichkhun's POV:

I looked back at MiYoung after her apology, and I saw her fidding with her fingers in embarrassment, tears were beginning to dry on her cheeks and her nose was bright red from al the crying and her lips a little swollen. It was probably the most adorabe thing ever.

But as she looked at me, I saw the obvious hurt in her eyes and my heart ached. I wished to do anything in my power to make that sadness go away and see her adorable eye smile once again.

"Please, don't worry, I'm gad I could help. And please, stop using honorifics with me, be comfortable around me, we're a team! Right?" I said, as encouraging as I could manage.

She dropped her gaze and smiled softly, shyness coloring her cheeks a cute shade of pink. I was satisfied that I'd at least made her smile.

"Thank you, Nichkhun. I owe you one." She replied in a soft manner, her voice a little hoarse from sobbing. The sincerity that I saw in her wide eyes made me all giddy inside. I didn't want to protect her anymore. I NEEDED to protect her, for that warm feeling that tugged at my heart everytime I made her smile, was indiscribable.

"You know what? Enough of this, you're coming with me." I said, standing up.

"Excuse me?" her startled expression made me smile.

"I'll take you somewhere fun, so that at least I can help you forget all your problems for the rest of the day. What do you say?" I grinned at her, determination flooding my mouth as I held out a hand for her.

She stared at the hand in bewilderment, pondering about her decision.

"I don't know if I should..." she hesitated.

"Oh, c'mon! No one has to know, right?" I scoffed.

After staring at me and back at my hand for a while, she grinned softly and gently took my hand and I squeezed hers reassuringly, trying to make her feel that everything would be alright.

"Let's go." I said with a smirk.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

heart

FIRST MINKHUN MOMENT!! yayyy~ I hoped you guys liked it!! I'm so sorry I haven't updated in a week, but school started for me and I've been sooo busy :( I can't promise to update often like I did before, but I can DEFINATELY promise an update every friday :) -Taemaximum