Memoir

The Skin Game of Life

Nichkhun’s POV:

 

“Daddy, may I ride your motorcycle?” a little boy’s voice emanating innocence called as it ran happily towards a man in faded jeans and a polo shirt.

The man turned around to greet his only son with a warm smile as the boy jumped excitedly into his arms.

“Sure thing, big man. But remember to wear your dad’s old helmet so nothing happens to that smart head of yours.”

The boy nodded in agreement and quickly jumped off of his father’s embrace to run towards the mansion’s main garage, where the man kept his riding gear. His little hands fumbled around the various drawers and closets that sat across the garage’s walls, but found no helmet. The man chuckled and walked towards a tall hanger near the garage’s entrance, and took the black helmet that hung there, completely ignored by the little boy’s curious eyes.

“Big man, over here!” the man called.

The boy turned around and at the sight of his father’s special black helmet his eyes sparkled with joy and the simple thought of wearing the helmet on his small head, was enough to make his knees wobble with happiness.

Father and son then walked towards the mansion’s backyard, where the man’s motorcycle was ready to be ridden by the eager little boy next to him.

The man crouched down to his son’s eye level and slid the helmet through the boy’s head, which was 5 times smaller in comparison to the big head gear. He laughed a little at the sight of his son’s frail shoulders making a huge effort to carry the helmet’s heavy weight on them. He kind of looked like an oversized lollipop.

“Do I look like you, Dad?” The boy’s muffled voice asked from inside the helmet.

“You look cooler than your old man ever did, big man.” The man answered, chuckling happily at his 6 year old boy’s desire to look like his father.

The little boy inside the helmet smiled in bliss. It was one thing to be able to resemble his father with the helmet, but to look cooler than him? That was truly something that had never crossed his mind before.

In the rush of excitement, the boy ran towards the motorcycle and tried to raise his left leg high enough to get on the motorcycle all by himself, but the extra weight on the bike caused it to tilt towards the opposite side, bringing the little boy down with it. The man launched forward and before the bike hit the ground with his son on top of it, he rescued the boy by wrapping both his arms around his waist and lifting him up before he fell on the ground.

The man put the little boy down and once again, crouched down to his eye level.

“Big man, you shouldn’t try big things like this without being taught how to do it, okay? You have to wait for people’s instructions always, understood?” the man said, looking straight into his son’s eyes through the helmet’s glass, but with the kindest stare he could manage.

“Yes daddy. I guess I’m not cool like you anymore, right? The sadness that poured from the voice inside the helmet was so evident, that it could break anyone’s heart.

The man laughed once again and took off the helmet from his son’s head, so that he could have a good look at him. The pouty face revealed to him melted his heart.

“Big man, making mistakes doesn’t mean you’re not cool anymore, alright? It’s just another chance to learn something new. Do you know what you learned from this one?”

“That bikes fall down very easy.” The boy replied with sincerity.

The man chuckled once more. “No, you learned that if you want to try something new, wait for instructions, if not, you’ll probably end up bad.”

“Okay, Daddy.”

“And don’t worry, when you’re old enough and have your own motorcycle, you and I are going bike riding together. Would you like that?”

“Yeah!!”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The warm smile returned to the innocent little boy faded as it was replaced with bright rays of sunlight that streamed into what was evidently, my empty bedroom.

My eyelids twitched as my eyes tried to adjust themselves to the strong light of the summer morning that filled my room with the hopes of a new day. I rubbed my eyes with the palm of my hands and proceeded to sit up on my bed, the image of that man smiling back at the little boy never leaving my mind.

I sighed heavily as I looked down at my hands. My palms were sweaty and I didn’t know if it was because of the weather, or the dream I just had.

It was the fourth dream I’d had about my father in the past week since the day of the evaluation, and it was really starting to take a toll on me. For the longest time I had avoided thinking about my father, and that of course, meant staying away from anything that brought him back to my mind. The sudden rush of flashbacks that took over my subconscious at night, was frightening me to no end, and had me thinking about that old man more than I was used to.

I found myself remembering stuff about him at the most random moments, distracting me from whatever I was doing at that time, and my mind would drift off into distant memories all by itself. I was glad that some of my shifts at the Golf House were suspended for the summer break, and I didn’t have to be at work constantly, I wouldn’t be able to take so much distraction at work. Now I basically had to show up just to check on training schedules and other meaningless procedures.

I got up from my bed and put on my slippers before heading out the door of my bedroom and towards the apartment’s front door. I went outside into the rooftop and picked up one of Cherry’s gardening stools and placed it right at the center of the small rooftop. I sat down and looked up at the sky for a second. It was impossible to spot a single cloud, for the sky was painted in the most flawless shade of pastel blue, bright and vibrant, like any other perfect summer sky.

I sighed once more and wondered, as I looked up at that spotless sky, if my old man knew how often he was on my mind lately.

Suddenly I was startled by two arms that wrapped themselves tightly around the base of my neck, strangling me a little. I turned my head slightly to the side when the arms loosened around my neck a little, and saw a bright, iridescent smile waiting to annoy me like it did on a daily basis. Cherreen.

“What are you doing out here Khunnie?” she asked after I pushed back her nose with my thumb, something I did every time she tried to annoy me in some way.

“I don’t know, just…thinking…about stuff.”

“No kidding Sherlock?” she laughed.

I pushed back her nose again and after she shook off my hand she went and picked up another one of her gardening stools and set it down next to mine, she down quietly, quickly picking up on my mood.

“What’s wrong?” she asked, after a few seconds of silence.

“What makes you think something’s wrong?”

“Khunnie, you’re sitting on my pink stool, which you claimed to be too girly for you and not to mention you’re wearing only one slipper. It’s pretty obvious something’s on your mind.”

I looked down at my feet and, indeed, I had only one slipper on. I looked down at the stool I was sitting on, and once again, Cherry was right. I could have sworn that I’d come out wearing both slippers and that I’d picked up the blue stool to sit on. I guessed my absentmindedness was more serious than I’d thought.

“I guess you know me all too well.”

“No, Khunnie, that’s just called observation. Now, spit it out.” She replied mockingly. I loved how Cherreen always spoke a little too old for her age.

“It’s just…dad.” I answered simply.

“Yeah, I assumed that’s what it was. You’ve been mentioning him quite often lately.” She patted my back a few times.

“Really? I haven’t noticed.”

“Well, you do. But why all of a sudden? You barely talked about him before.” Cherreen continued.

“I don’t know. I’ve dreamt about him four times in the past week already, and every time it’s a different flashback of one of our memories together.” I sighed heavily once more.

“You know, that happens to me a lot with mom, too.”

Cherreen’s sudden mention of mom surprised me. She mourned our mother’s death less than I thought a child like her would, and like myself, she avoided talking about mom as much as I avoided dad’s memory.

“Sometimes, I have random dreams about her, and once I do, I can’t seem to get her out of my head for the rest of the day. I miss her so much at times.” Her voice was strong and sure, as if she wasn’t talking about her dead mother.

My heart ached for Cherreen at times like this. Unlike me, Cherreen grew up without a father figure, and even though I’d lost it at the ripe age of eleven, she had never even experienced what it was like to have a father, since he’s died when she was only three months old. To me, that was far worse than losing him.

And to make her situation more pitiful, she’d had to let go of her precious maternal figure at an even younger age than I’d lost my paternal one.

We both had nothing but each other.

“I’m sorry Cherry.” I said .

“Why?”

“Because I lack too much, I’m barely able to take care of you, and I can’t even give you everything I want to.” My voice sounded sort of distant in my ears.

“Khunnie, you’re more than enough.” She said, chuckling a little.

“Huh?”

“You dropped out of college to work full time. Don’t bring yourself down just because you don’t feel enough, and I’m sorry I don’t remind you every day how much you mean to me, I think part of that is my fault.”

I felt her warm hand hold my upper arm gently before she continued.

“No matter how many nights in a row we have to eat ramyeon for dinner, you are all I have. Just you being here, is enough for me to be okay. You’re both the mother I lost and the father I never had. I adore you more than anything in my life.”

I stared at my little sister as she looked straight ahead calmly, her expression unfazed, as if her words had no effect in her whatsoever. But when I looked down at my upper arm, she held on to it so hard, that her nails dug into my skin, fear readiating form each of her fingers and into me.

I took her hand off my arm  and held it in between my hands.

“You too are all I have, Cherry.”

She turned to look at me and her eves were visibly watery, raw emotion pouring out in each of the tears that spilled a few seconds later onto her flushed cheeks. I spread my arms out wide,  telling her to come over for a hug.

Cherreen walked over to me and fell limply into my arms and I held tightly onto her soft, robust body. I felt her arms wrap tightly around my neck as she slowly sat on my knee.

“Hyung.” I heard Cherreen say against my chest.

I laughed. “Don’t call me that, hyung is for guys.”

“I prefer to call you hyung, you know I think oppa is stupid.”

“Fine. What is it?”

“Tell me about Dad.” Her shy voice continued, muffled against my shirt.

I was baffled by her request she had never asked to hear about our father, because she thought it would bring back pitiful memories for me.

“Well…umm… he was a very kind, wise man…” my voice seemed to crack a little, so I cleared my throat before continuing.

“He collected motorcycles and cars, he was a big sports fan and he taught me to never be afraid of anything, no matter how scary it is. That amongst other things. He was allergic to cats and was terrified of clowns, that’s why I never had one at my birthday parties.

Cherreen laughed as she shifted her position to rest her head at the base of my neck.

“He used to call me ‘big man’…and loved mom more than anything else in this world.” I whispered.

“He sounds fun. You must miss him a lot.”

“He was fun. And I really do sometimes.”

“Thank you for telling me about him, it must be hard for you.”

“Nahh, it’s okay. Don’t be afraid to ask about him whenever you want. You have every right to know.” I assured her.

“Then…what killed him?” she asked tentatively.

Now that was a shock. Not because of the question itself, but because I didn’t know the answer. I never knew what had ultimately killed my father. The only thing I remembered was coming home from school one day just to get the terrible news from my weeping mother. There were no signs that indicated a prominent death before that either.

Luckily before I answered Cherreen’s question, my phone vibrated in my pocket.

“Hello?”

“KHUN!” An all too familiar voice yelled through the receiver and I flinched away from the noise.

“Annie, what the hell?”

I heard my best friend laugh on the other end. “What’s up?”

“Nothing, just hanging out with Cherry up on the rooftop, you?”

“Not much, I just wanted to ask you something, it’s about Miyoung.”

I was all ears. “I’m listening.”

“Do you guys have any plans today?”

“Not really, it’s our weekend off of practice and we haven’t had the chance to see each other. Why?”

“I just…felt like meeting up with her.” She didn’t sound so sure.

“You just felt like meeting up with her?”

“Well…yeah, what’s wrong in wanting to get to know my best friend’s girlfriend?”

I thought about it for a minute. “I know you’re up to something, but I hope you know that if you do something to Miyoung I’ll just murder you.”

“Dude, calm down I just wanna hang out with her. Do girl stuff for once! I don’t have any girlfriends.” Her defensive tone made me laugh.

“You have a point. You’ve got nothing but men as friends.”

“Exactly.”

“Well alright then, I’ll text you her phone number in a bit.”

“YES!! Thanks Khun! I loooov-“

“Yeah, yeah, I got it.” I was not in the mood for her annoying aegyo.

“You’re such a phony; you know you love my aegyo.”

“Whatever you say dwarf.” I mocked. Making fun of her size always worked.

“YAH! I said not to call me that!!”

“Whatever, I’ll text you later. Bye!”

“Bye Khun!” she said as she hung up.

“What’s going on?” Cherreen asked, who was still sitting on my knee.

“Nothing, just Annie being weird. As usual.”

“Marry her.”

“WHO?” I nearly yelled.

“Miyoung you stupid.” She laughed at my rash reaction.

“Oh…I thought you meant Annie. And why do you want me to marry Miyoung?” I was really curious about this one.

“I just feel like you really need the company…and she’s quite lovely. She’s perfect for you.” Her voice sounded sincere.

“We’ll see about that. We’ve only been dating a little while. Plus I told you about the issues with her family.”

“I don’t care, you can run away together or something.” She chuckled, but it actually sounded like she meant it.

“And who’s gonna take care of you if we run away?” I tickled her stomach playfully.

She pushed me away. “Did I say you should run away alone? Of course I’m coming with you!”

We laughed together at our silliness, and when we both quite down I patted her on the back.

“Go inside now, I’ll make breakfast for you.”

“YES!!” The little glutton screamed, and she jumped off my knee and ran inside the apartment.

I watched her run back inside with a smile on my face. Right, she was the reason why I worked so hard and why my father kept giving me advice in my dreams, he wanted me to take care of her as much as he took care of all of us when he was alive.

I looked up at the sky once again and smiled.

 

“Thank you.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

heart.png

Hey guys!! I know...it's been forever. But don't worry I'll make this a double update I'm working on the next chapter :) Here you have a little emotional chapter with Khun and his sister. The next one will be all Miyoung's POV so please look forward to that!

I don't know about you but this World Cup is taking up most of my time lol. Big soccer fan here!

And if there's any EXO fan out there, like myself, please try and support Baekhyun and Taeyeon in their realtionship and refrain yourself from making mean comments. You shouldn't be angry about something that's completely natural amonngst human beings :)

Long author note CUT!! -Taemaximum