Who You Are

The Skin Game of Life

Nichkhun's POV:

As the bus moved forward through the streets of Seoul, the silence between MiYoung and I became unbearable.

I watched her fiddle with her fingers from the corner of my eye, and whenever she would catch me staring at her, she would drift her gaze away from me and towards the window. She had gone all shy again and I couldn't help but wonder, why were her walls always up? She seemed impenetrable.

I gathered up the courage to break the ice with conversation, because I was the one who had the BRILLIANT idea of doing this anyway.

But she actually beat me to it.

"Where are we going?" she asked softly, looking at me with scared, doggy eyes.

"Just...somewhere nice..." the simplicity of my answer made me sound awkward.

She nodded silently, and continued to stare at her hands.

"Do I make you uncomfortable?" I asked.

Her eyes widened as she snapped her head up to look at me directly in the eyes.

"No! Why would you think that? If anything, I'm just grateful that you're doing this for me."

"Well, then, why are you so shy around me? You heard me say that we're a team, right?"

She hung her head awkwardly and her cheeks flushed.

"I just...I feel ashamed. I feel like I'm forcing you to listen, you probably think I'm just a snobby girl with overrated problems and a crybaby. I don't want to seem pitiful...it...emabrrasses me, I feel like a burden..." her voice trailed off at the end while she hid her face underneath her bangs.

It seemed amazing to me that a person like her, with her entire life sorted out, would have such internal issues with herself. But it wasn't fair that she thought her problems deserved no sympathy.

"What makes you think your problems are snobby and overrated? Everyone has problems at their own level, and others don't have the right to judge whether people's problems are 'ridiculous' or an exaggeration, because everyone hurts differently. What may seem like a piece of cake to us, might mean the end of the world for a teenage kid. But it's not about understanding others, it's about being sympathetic even if you DON'T understand."

My voice ringed with sincerity and the effect of it in MiYoung became obvious when she blushed six different shades of red and her eyes glittered with gratefulness.

"Thank you, I don't know what to say.."

I chuckled. "Just, have fun and don't underestimate yourself."

She nodded and smiled at me, making me heart flutter as I smiled back at her.

"You know, she began, this is my first time on a bus." she chuckled and looked down.

"Are you serious? You've had a chauffeur your WHOLE life?"

"Yeah...don't laugh." but she was the one who ended up laughing about it, allowing me to join in freely.

The rest of the bus ride was pleasant and calm, MiYoung was slowly opening up to me as she told me small stories about her chauffeur, Raph, who seemed to be the only person in her life that knew her inside and out completely. She had deep affection towards him, he was her only friend.

After 15 more minutes, the bus finally reached our stop for the day and we got off with big smiles on our faces.

"Now what?" she asked excitedly.

"I don't know, do you like rollercoasters?" I answered tentatively.

She furrowed her eyebrows in confusion and her eyelashes fluttered, surprise taking over her features.

"THAT'S what we're doing!?" her voice going all high pitched.

I laughed and told her to follow me, and she proceeded to skip happily beside me. She was too cute for words.

We arrived at Lotte World, one of the most popular amusement parks in Seoul. MiYoung seemed in a daze as she took her surroundings in: The vending machines, the arcades, the balloons, the candy stands, all the different games  you could play and the vast amount of children dragging their mothers here and there.

"Have you ever been here?" I asked.

"No...it's my first time at a place like this." she was still in a daze.

It broke my heart that not even as a child she got to enjoy an amusement park, and I was reminded of my mother, who used to take me to Lotte World once every month.

MiYoung became a child a few seconds later, and she dragged me here and there to try out all kinds of arcades, and she especially enjoyed watching me struggle to win at the ones that gave away teddy bears as a prize. I actually managed to win her a small, white and adorable teddy bear with huge eyes, which she held on to her for the rest of the day.

After an hour of enjoying the first floor of games, I took MiYoung outside, where the amusement rides where, just to see MiYoung in a daze for the second time today.

"So, which one do you want to ride?"

She hesitated a little.

"All... of them?" she made it sound like a question.

I took a hold of her hand and MiYoung and I spent the next two and a half hours enjoying ride after ride, and the satisfaction that ran through me as I saw MiYoung's problems fly away through her messy black hair in each ride, had no comparison whatsoever. She smiled brightly as she tried caramel apples for the first time and squeeled like a happy child when I came to her with popcorn and cotton candy, it seemed as if her job was to enjoy all the things she never managed to experience as a child in one day, and I was glad I was the one who allowed her to do that.

She was slurping on an ice cream cone when I happened to glance at my phone for the first time since we left the Golf House. It was 8:30 PM.

"Crap!!" I shout, getting up from the bench.

"What? What? What? Are you ok?" MiYoung said, worried.

"Yeah...I'm fine...I just...I-I forgot to pick up my sister from school." I stammered. Cherreen was going to murder me this time.

"Oh. I didn't know you had a little sister."

"Yeah, her name is Cherreen." I answered.

"I'm sorry, if I'd known you  had to pick her up I would have asked to leave a long time ago, I kept you here for too long." she said, guilt flashing accross her face.

"Don't worry, she's probably home by now."

Her eyes widened and she rose from her seat. "She goes back home all by herself?" she sounded shocked.

I chuckled. "She is perfectly capable of going to and from school all by herself actually, but she rather have it this way instead. She says she likes flaunting the fact that she has such a handsome big brother." I say in my best big-brother-pride voice.

MiYoung laughed her beautiful laugh and I joined her.

"Is there anything else I can do for you before we leave?" I asked, as we walked to the bus stop.

She thought a little, but finally looked up at me with hope in her eyes.

"Can I meet her?" she said.

"Who?"

"Cherreen."

"Why do you want to meet her." I was intrigued.

"She sounds sooo interesting, it reminds me of one  of my neighboors when I was growing up." she stated.

"Well...Cherreen wouldn't mind meeting someone new." I said, wriggling my eyebrows.

She beamed and thanked me as we got into the bus to my apartment.

 

MiYoung's POV:

After a quiet bus ride, Nichkhun and I arrived at a small, old-looking apartment building and he opened the front gate with a set of keys that he got from inside his pant pocket. We went in and proceeded to call for the elevator.

It surprised me that he pressed the button to the rooftop instead of one of the floors.

"The rooftop?" I asked.

"My apartment's there." he said with a smile.

He stepped out of the elevator and lead me to a flight of stairs, all the way up to the roof, where his apartment was.

it was a small flat, with concrete white walls, and even smaller windows. There was a cute little garden right in front, along with gradening tools scattered here and there and flower pots lining the entire house.

"My sister enjoys gardening." He chuchkled, noticing my staring at the vast amount of flowers evenly distributed all around the front porch.

"They're beautiful." I muttered, and he smiled.

He used another key from the large set and used it to open the front door of the apartment.

"Cherry?" he called, as he peeked inside slowly, with me right behind him.

When he opened the door fully, I managed to peek around his shoulder just to see two people sitting on the floor of the aparment eating ramen noodles.

One, who I asumed was Cherreen, was petite and fragile looking, but she still had a tough edge to her build. Her face was heart-shaped, and she had thick black hair and a cute button-like nose, paired with a set of beautiful large eyes lined with thick eyelashes, the same ones that characterized Nichkhun's face.

The other was a small young woman, probably around Nichkhun's age, with short pixie-like hair and wearing a purple beany. She had a small sharp nose and tiny eyes heavily packed with black eyeliner.

"Annie?" He inquired. I assumed the woman's name was Annie.

"Hey there Khun..." she answered, as she looked at me from the corner of her eye.

"Why are you here?"

"She brought me here, stupid.- Chereen answered, totally pissed.- I called her and she went to get me."

"Where have you been?" Annie asked.

Nichkhun glanced at me and with a simple eye movemennt he asked me to stand by his side. I moved and stood silently next to him. Cherreen finally got a good look of me and she beamed.

"Guys, I'd like you to meet Kang MiYoung, she is a friend from work." He said.

Cherreen waved excitedly while Annie's jaw dropped.

"K-Kang MiYoung?" she asked, incredulous.

"N-Nice to meet you." I srammered, bowing at them.

Both Annie and Cherreen bowed back and after a few second of awkward silence, Annie stood up.

"Well, it seems that I have to go now, it's getting late." she picked up a bag from the floor and moved forward to kiss Cherreen on the forehead and she smiled.

"Nice to meet you, heiress.- she said smiling at me - See you later Khun." she hugged Nichkhun and went out the door.

A few seconds later Nichkhun's phone beeped and he smiled at the screen.

We spent the next hour talking. Cherreen was a lovely, witty girl with lots of charm. She was just as kind as her big brother and she took every chance that she got to praise him in some way.

But the most beautiful thing about everything was the way Nichkhun treated Cherreen. They were like lifetime best friends and he was very gentle with her. His eyes sparkled every time he looked at her it all made my heart tickle with joy. He loved his sister very much.

"So, MiYoung, what are you to my brother?" Cherreen asked randomly.

Nichkhun's eyes widened and he looked down in embarrassment.

"Well, he is just a really good friend, Cherry." I answered with a chuckle.

"Aww, c'mon! Seriously? I see the way you guys look at each other." she said, and Nichkhun and I both looked at each other at that moment, and smiled.

"Anyway, I really hope you guys get together."

"And why is that?" I asked.

"Because Nichkhun suffers on his own, and I really don't like that. I might tell him that everything's ok, but I know that I can't comfort him enough. He's been on his own since mother died and...he needs some company." Cherreen's voice trailed off painfully at the end and Nichkhun dropped his head away from me.

My heart ached at her statement, but before she continued, she took my arm in both hands and looked at me with pleading eyes.

"Please...take care of him. It's not easy seeing him cry alone at night...he doesn't know that I've seen him but...I have...and I don't want that to happen anymore. Please." she whispered to me as quietly as she could.

My mind went blank and all my heart wanted to do was to ease the little girl's pain as much as I could. Her sad eyes bored into mine, they spelled out every word of despair inside her heart, and I could clearly hear them without them having to come out of .

The words came out thoughtlessly.

"I promise...I'll do anything."

She smiled a little and nodded, releasing me from her grasp.

"WELL THEN, GOOD NIGHT EVERYBODY, SEE YOU TOMORROW KHUNNIE I LOVE YOU AND DON'T THROW ME AWAY FOR A GIRL NEXT TIME GOODBYE MIYOUNG SEE YOU SOON BYEEEE!" Chereen shouted withought a pause as she stood up from the floor and pranced happily into her bedroom, leaving us befounded.

I looked at Nichkhun with wide eyes and he laughed easily and beautifully, slowly taking my breath away.

"Khunnie?" I asked, amused.

"Yeah, she's called me that from the moment she learned how to pronounce it." his voice was proud.

"She's beautiful, Nichkhun." I said with a smile.

"I know."

A few minutes of silence passed and my tounge itched to ask him about his mother, his past. Why was he always on his own? Why does he cry alone at night? Is he actually ok? and a billion questions more.

"Nichkhun...when did...your...mother...um..-

"Die? 2 years ago." He interrupted.

"I'm sorry..." my voice cracked.

"That's ok. I've managed...but thank you for asking."

"Why?"

"I don't really talk about it, you know... for Cherreen, but I need it sometimes...even if it's just answering questions about when she died. Thank you."

"It's me that should be thankful...you trusted me to help you."

"I can't think of anyone better. Not even Annie, who's been my friend since birth."

I looked up at him and he was staring at me, with a mixture of sadness and joy. My heart skipped a few beats.

"I have to go home." I said softly, my brain freaking out.

I called Raph and told him the address I was currently at, and he assured me he'd be here as soon as possible.

Nichkhun and I waited in silence for a while and then we both stepped out of the house, called for the elevator and walked out of the building still quiet.

I saw Raph's car pull up at the driveway and I turned to Nichkhun to say goodbye. His eyes were torn, it seemed as if he did not want to say goodbye as much as I did. We had an amazing time that day.

"Goodbye." he muttered.

I wrapped my arms around his neck without thinking and he wrapped his around my waist, squeezing a little.

"I'll never forget today. Goodbye." I said softly into his neck.

I let go after a few seconds and ran to the car to get inside, without looking back at him. Raph drove away and my heart urged to turn around and go back. But I couldn't...it wasn't right. Nothing about today was right, I was an engaged woman! How could I be feeling this way about a man that was not even my fiancee?

But I couldn't help it. I was attracted to Nichkhun from day one, but now...I knew part of his soul. I knew how much the death of his mother affected him, even though he always kept it to himself and would rather cry alone at night. I knew how much he loved his sister Cherreen, and how much she loved him, I knew how devoted he was to her and how much he wished her life with him was different...better.

But more than anything, I knew that the way he looked at me was different from the way ANYONE has EVER looked at me. I knew that the simple sound of his laugh could comfort me to no end and that his warm hug made me feel safe. I knew who he was and what he meant to me.

The thing is...he's not allowed to mean that much to me.

"Are you ok sweetie?" Raph asked.

"I don't know."

 

 

 

 

 

heart.png

-

HEY GUYS!! I know its been FOREVER since my last update and I sincerily apologize! I tried to make a longer chapter that usual to make up for my absence, but school really is a handful lol. Thank you and please comment! -Taemaximum