Chance

You Bring Out the Best in Me

“What do you mean leave you alone,” yelled Kris, who answered the door when Jongin knocked.

“Exactly what I said. Leave me alone. I don’t need trouble that I know you will get me in. So, if you please excuse me I have homework to do,” said Jongin, starting to leave. An arm stopped his progressive.

“Is this because of that little loser? Kyunghoon or whatever his name is? He won’t put out, idiot. I tried to lay his little sorry but he said no. You are making a big mistake dude,” warned Kris. Jongin shrugged the hand off.

“Just leave me alone,” said Jongin, leaving a dumbfounded Kris, away from his kind. Jongin gave a deep breath and headed to his room. Man, I hope he gives me a chance.

            Jongin walked back into his dorm, surprised to see Kyungsoo in bed with the lights out and his back facing him. Jongin sighed and closed the door, setting his stuff down next to the desk by the door. He kicked off his shoes and changed into his sleep attire.

“I am surprised you are back so soon. They cancel it or something,” asked Kyungsoo lightly, his back still facing Jongin. Jongin went to sit on his bed.

“Actually, I told them to leave me alone,” replied Jongin. This evoked a response from Kyungsoo, who abruptly sat up. When he looked at Jongin, his eyes were big as saucers.

“You did what,” yelled Kyungsoo. Kyungsoo’s tone startled Jongin. He thought Kyungsoo would be happy.

“I told them to leave me alone. I don’t want to play around while here…Actually, I was hoping to be better. My mom sent me here to stop partying and sleeping around. If I don’t stop, I get disown. I need to prove I am better. The sooner I do, the quicker I am out of here,” replied Jongin.

“Seriously?”

“Yes, I am serious. Plus, I thought it might make things between us a little better,” mumbled Jongin. Kyungsoo did catch what he said however. He gave Jongin a nod and smile.

“Fine. I will help you. That is if you want it.”

“Yes!”

            Jongin was shocked at himself. Did he really sound so desperate? Kyungsoo caught it though. He lay back down and turned away from Jongin.

“We will start tomorrow. Go to bed for now. Goodnight, Jongin,” said Kyungsoo. Jongin smiled and got in bed, turning away from Kyungsoo.

“Goodnight.”

Man, I think he is giving me a chance.


            When Jongin woke, he was surprised to see Kyungsoo leaning over him. He wiped the sleep from his eyes and looked at Kyungsoo, who went to sit on his bed fully dressed and ready to leave.

“It’s about time you got up. Come on and get ready,” said Kyungsoo, motioning for Jongin to hurry up.

“What day is it,” asked Jongin as he prepared to take a shower.

“Thursday. We don’t have classes Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. I was thinking maybe I could show you around the grounds tomorrow. Like the lake is nice this time of year. I was thinking we could walk to it after breakfast tomorrow and spend the day by the lake and maybe have a picnic for lunch. Unless you don’t want to,” said Kyungsoo, who suddenly second-guessed based on Jongin’s reaction. Jongin had this look of astonishment or confusion.

“No! I mean, I would like that,” said Jongin quickly, making his cheeks turn rosy due to embarrassment. Kyungsoo nodded and gave a slight smile; Jongin noticed it did slightly meet his eyes but not completely. Jongin went to take a shower and calm his mind. It felt as though his heart would burst through his chest and fluttering could be felt in his stomach. Is this what it felt to like someone? Honestly, Jongin had never liked someone before; he was never around anyone long enough to like them. Jongin took a deep breath after he closed the door, which seemed to help the butterflies. A thought suddenly came to Jongin: He is giving me a chance.


Kyungsoo and Jongin walked across the quad to breakfast, shoulders brushing but not touching. It was quiet obvious to others something was going on between them; for them, they did not notice their close proximity. A comfortable silence came with the duo. Jongin looked over and saw Kris giving him a dirty look. Jongin sighed and looked ahead. He knew he took a chance, and he was glad he did. Kyungsoo was treating him fairly nicely. He even asked Jongin to eat with him for breakfast and lunch. Of course, Jongin said yes a little too eagerly, like a little love sick puppy. Jongin sat down at the table in the dining hall with Kyungsoo and his friends, who gave him wary looks and confused expressions.

“It is fine. He is accepted. He turned away from the dark side. All is well,” said Kyungsoo reassuringly. The trio of Luhan, Baekhyun, and Chanyeol nodded.

“We thought you were crazy for a minute. And dumb,” said Chanyeol. Jongin laughed and nodded.

“Yeah, sorry about that. Old habits die hard,” said Jongin jokingly. Kyungsoo gave Jongin a smile and a nudge. The trio noticed but said nothing. Shock overcame Jongin; he was not use to Kyungsoo touching him. Even though it was a small bump, it meant a lot to Jongin. It meant Kyungsoo was opening up to him. Small warmth spread throughout Jongin’s body. He gave Kyungsoo a smile and continued with his breakfast. Kyungsoo was giving him a chance.

A/N: I am soooo sorry that this is really short. I was busy all day even though school was canceled. I will try to do a longer chapter for Sunday that consists of the day at the lake. Prepare for fluff. I want to thank everyone soooo much for reading, commenting, and/or subscribing. I had no idea so many would actually want to read more of this. Thank you a bunch~