The First Step of Many

You Bring Out the Best in Me

Jongin woke to the sound of ringing. Kyungsoo leaned over to turn off the alarm clock. Kyungsoo gathered his stuff and headed to the shower in the attached bathroom. Jongin looked at the clock on the desk; it was ten minutes before seven. He groaned and put a pillow over his head. This was way too early for his liking. Normally, Jongin did not wake up until noon. His classes started at one and would last until five. He had dinner at six and then went out afterwards with either Sehun or on his own. He had not waked up this early since he was a freshman. Kyungsoo came out thirty minutes later in his uniform. He looked at Jongin in his bed and smirked.

“Class starts in forty five minutes. I suggest you get ready and head down to breakfast,” said Kyungsoo as he got his bag and left, leaving Jongin staring at a closed door. Jongin huffed and got out of bed. He headed to take a shower and get ready, the first step of many.

            When Jongin was dressed and ready to head down, he left with his huge stack of books and binders in his bag, which he lugged over his shoulder. He exited the dorm building and walked across the quad. Suddenly, he was stopped. It was the Wu brothers. Jongin sighed and gave a slight smirk.

“Jongin, is it? How would you like to join us for breakfast,” offered Kris. Jongin looked over at Yixing who gave a slight smile and a nod. Jongin sighed and nodded.

“Sure, why not,” said Jongin as he followed the duo to the dining hall. They led him to a table with three other boys siting there. Yixing sat beside a lean built boy with brown hair and eyes that matched. Kris sat next to his brother, leaving one spot open for Jongin. Jongin examined the boys. All of them were incredibly good looking. The boy beside him had milky skin on a sort of curvy frame and ginger hair. Across from him sat a boy with an evil smirk, blonde hair, and muscular build.

“Introductions are in order. That is Jongdae beside Yixing. Beside you is Xiumin. And across from you is Tao. Everyone knows who are you are so introductions are over,” says Kris. The group gives Jongin an overlook, pleased by his appearance.

“You coming tonight,” asks Tao, who Jongin notes has a heavy Chinese accent. Jongin smirked and nodded.

“Yes, of course. What is the party for anyways,” asks Jongin.

“Just because we can and want to. Plus, you are the new addition to our group. We must celebrate that,” says Yixing. A knot began to form in Jongin’s stomach.

“I am a part of this group,” asks Jongin. Everyone nodded.

“You are good looking and seem like our type. So we figured why not try you out,” replied Yixing with a shrug of his shoulders. Jongin nodded but said nothing. He did not say anything for the rest of breakfast. Is this really where I belong?


Jongin sat through his first class in boredom. He knew no one and doing introductions was never his thing. Names meant very little to him. He was used to having only one friend, Sehun. Before Sehun, he had no one but a bunch of fake friends that helped elevate his social status. Sehun was his first true friend. They were partners in crime. If Jongin got in trouble or needed help, Sehun would always help. Whenever Jongin was grounded, he would sneak over and they would dance in the dance studio at Jongin’s house or play video games. Sehun was the greatest friend Jongin had ever had.

            In other words, Jongin was not good at making friends. He was used to just having fake ones who only cared about being seen close to him or sleeping with him. Behind his Playboy persona, Jongin was actually quiet shy and timid. This is why when he was asked in every one of his classes to give an introduction, he stuttered and blushed and overall looked like an awkward duck. Kyungsoo was in his second, fourth, and fifth class. However, he paid Jongin no mind. He just sat in his seat, did the lesson, and left when the bell ring. Baekhyun was right about one thing so far: Kyungsoo barely talked at all, only when teachers asked for an answer.

            That day Jongin had lunch with the Wu gang, or at least that is what everyone called them. He got to know the group better and started feeling more at ease with them. It was not the same ease that came with Kyungsoo’s friends but still better than being stiff as a rock. Jongin learned Jongdae and Xiumin were together. Kris liked to screw anything that had legs and was decently good looking; that sounded a lot like Jongin but he said nothing. Tao was into martial arts, which scared Jongin beyond belief. Jongdae was in the music department and Xiumin liked art. Yixing was a crazy one, who was also in the dance department. Jongin took in all this info and tried to play nice, but this ache in his stomach kept him silent most of the time. Jongin felt like he had molten lava in his chest. He excused himself and headed to the restroom.

            On his way, Jongin saw Kyungsoo going in the same direction. They met up halfway and Jongin said hello. Kyungsoo glared daggers at him.

“I knew you were like that but I can’t believe you joined their little gang,” muttered Kyungsoo. Jongin gripped Kyungsoo’s wrist, making the duo stop.

“How do you even know that about me? Am I really that notorious,” asked Jongin with a smirk. Kyungsoo huffed and tried to get his wrist back from Jongin. Jongin held strong and eventually Kyungsoo gave up trying.

“I actually went to school with you at Seoul Academy. That is why I know. Now please let me go. I have to see someone,” said Kyungsoo, keeping his eyes on the ground. Jongin hummed and nodded, letting go of Kyungsoo’s wrist. So the guy knew about Jongin’s tendencies after all. Kyungsoo quickly scurried away and out the door, leaving a Jongin deep in thought.

            The lunch bell rang, ending the lunch hour. Jongin headed to his next class. His mind was someplace else for the remainder of the classes that day. He did his introductions, took his seat, and went back to his thoughts until the bell ringed. Jongin thought about the party that night and Kyungsoo’s words. Jongin was excited for the party. If there was one thing Jongin loved more than dancing, it was partying. He loved how it made him open up and more carefree. Plus, he always got laid at the end of the night. However, now a thought nagged at him. He wouldn’t approve of it.

Kyungsoo would not like it indeed. When it came time for Jongin to leave for the party in Kris and Yixing’s room, Kyungsoo asked where he was going. Jongin simply said to a party. Jongiin watched as Kyungsoo’s face turned a red, and not from blushing either.

“Going to your hazing ritual? Have fun getting laid. Also, stay away from my friends. We do not welcome your kind,” spat Kyungsoo. Jongin had never seen someone so adorable be so evil. Jongin shrugged and looked down.

“Is there any way we could just get along and until I leave,” asks Jongin in a small voice. Kyungsoo shook his head and continued his homework.

“I am not friends with s who do not take no for an answer,” muttered Kyungsoo. Jongin thought about what the trio had said about Kris trying to sleep with Kyungsoo.

“I am not like them. Just because I have that reputation, doesn’t mean I can’t change. I just want out of here. I was sent here to clean up my act. It is not my fault they seem like the only people friendly enough to be nice. Maybe if you actually gave me a chance you would see I am a nice guy,” said Jongin. Kyungsoo looked up through narrowed eyes. He snorted and got up.

“It is not my fault you sleep around with anyone! It is not my fault you give me the chills because you are just like them,” yelled Kyungsoo. Jongin frowned at Kyungsoo’s word. He scared Kyungsoo?

“Why are you scared of me? I haven’t done anything to you. I have done my best to be nice to your friends. I have tried to leave you alone. Why are you scared of me,” asked Jongin. Kyungsoo sighed and crawled back into bed.

“Because you are like them,” repeated Kyungsoo softly, his head down staring at his hands. Jongin sighed and gave up. He grabbed his bag and left Kyungsoo with a slam of the door. On his way to the Wu brother’s room, Jongin thought of how he could make Kyungsoo see he wasn’t like the people he hated so much. An idea suddenly sprung to his mind. He would walk away from the Wu gang and make friends with Kyungsoo’s friends. Then, Kyungsoo would see he was not bad of the guy. Wait, why was he doing this again? Because you like him, idiot.

            Jongin sighed and decided it was the truth. He liked the guy, with his pale complex and fiery eyes when he was angry. Jongin would like to see him smile, something he had not seen Kyungsoo genuinely do since Jongin got there. Jongin nodded and accepted the plan. He knew what he needed to do and telling Kris to leave him alone was the first step of many. 

A/N: I just want to say a huge THANK YOU to everyone who read, commented, and/or subscribed. It means a lot! I have school tomorrow (sadly), so I will not be posting anything most likely until like Sunday. I hope this chapter is long enough and has enough drama to appease you all. Anyways, please give it love and thank you so very much!