Chapter 8 - Why

Us Two

 

 

“So, how’s the sunset?” I asked her as we were walking at the hallway, hand-in-hand towards her room.

As had been promised to her nurse, she will be back to her room before the clock strikes seven in the evening and the time now was…7.45 p.m.

Yeah, the sun seemed to be set late nowadays.

Naeun turned to me and with a smile, she stated “It’s beautiful. Seeing it in real life sure is beautiful,”

Arriving at her room, I opened the door and hoping that her nurse will not be waiting for us at the other side of the door with her arms crossed and a strict look.

But thankfully, it didn’t happen. Thank God!

Just then, I heard Naeun coughing and to me, it’s not a very good sign.

“Are you okay?” I asked, fully concern.

With a weak smile, she replied “I’m fine but…I’m feeling a little bit cold.”

“C’mon, let’s get you on the bed.”

 

Once I had helped her get on the bed, she coughed again.

“Do you need more blankets?” I asked to her, worried.

With a weak shook of the head, she said “It’s alright.”

Our gazed met and both of us had no intention to break the contact. After a few seconds, Naeun was the one first that broke the contact. She looked rather flustered as she was awkwardly clearing .

“Y-You should go now…” she said softly, her eyes didn’t look at me and instead, she found the floor interesting than my perfect face.

And no, I’m not praising myself. It’s the truth.

Seeing her like that, my lips unconsciously formed into a smirk. I don’t know but I get the feeling that she likes me – not that I hate it since I like her too; which is a pretty good thing if she likes me back.

“Okay, I’ll see you tomorrow Naeun,” I said as I patted her head. And from patting, I had her soft long black hair.

Bending my body a little, I leaned forward and landed my lips on her forehead – long.

“Goodnight, Naeun” I whispered and left her stunned in the room.

 

 

 

 

 

The next morning, I was in an extremely good mood. I had already vision and planned about tonight’s event – the last wish in her notebook.

Somehow, knowing that this will be her last wish and the last day I’ll be here made me felt devastated.

Mentally shaking my head no, I shoved those negative feelings aside. Today will only full with rainbows!

………

Okay, that’s probably the most childish thing I’ve ever said but…who cares!

Opening the door to her room, I was glued at the doorway; surprised to see a doctor with two nurses besides the bed; with her lying unconscious.

Worried and anxiety started to form in me.

One of the nurses – Mrs Lee, turned around and she gave me a little nod once she saw me; I did the same in return.

“Mister Kim, may I talk with you outside?” she politely told me.

Somehow, I don’t like the way she said it. It seemed like there will be some bad news and no – I don’t want any bad news.

“What happened to Naeun?” I immediately asked once we were at the hallway.

Mrs Lee was silent for a moment before she broke saying “Miss Son was attacked by a high fever last night until she couldn’t breathe properly.”

I felt like my heart stopped beating the moment I heard what the nurse said.

“It was fortunate that she was being attacked at the exact time I came into her room and last night, we had done an emergency check-up on her.”

Mrs Lee paused for a second as she took a deep breath and said “Miss Son’s condition has gotten worse.”

 

And I felt like my whole world was crushing down.

 

 

I was at the hallway, sitting on the plastic chairs that had been lined-up at the wall. My mind was blank. After hearing what Mrs Lee had said a while ago, I pretty much sure I couldn’t take her out. Mrs Lee already said that her condition was getting worse and I don’t want to make it even worse than now.

A heavy sighed escaped from my lips. I will be leaving tomorrow and I need to fulfil her last wish.

But Naeun’s health is in danger and I don’t want to lose her.

The door to her room opened and Halseong halmeoni walked out with a solemn face. She came just as soon as Naeun woke up and I figure I should give the family some alone time.

“Are you alright?” I asked the old lady as I held her wrinkled hand.

“I’m fine dear…it’s just that – it’s sad knowing that your granddaughter will be going first before you,” and she started to sob. My heart clenched in pain hearing her said such words.

It’s the truth. It’s her fate – Naeun’s cruel fate.

If only I have the power to change it or at least do something…

Then, it struck me.

“Why haven’t Naeun undergo any surgery?” softly, I asked her.

With some of the remaining sobs, she answered “She didn’t want to do it. She’s afraid that it will not be successful,”

“But what if it is a success? Why wouldn’t she give it a go?” I asked her again.

This time, Halseong halmeoni was quiet.

“If it’s about the cost, I will support it. I will do anything just for her to live like a normal person.” I said, determined and sincere.

Halseong halmeoni stared at me and her lips curved into a small smile.

“I guess you must have been in love with her, young man. Go inside her room and try to talk with her. I’m sure she’s willing to do the surgery if you tell her to.”

With a little tap on my hand, she released it and walked away. 

 

 

 

______________________________

a/n: hiatus cause of boarding school, don't know when will i have time to update this orz but the ending already done but i need to proof-read it first so...probably will update like...a month or two? until then, please be patient!