Chapter 3 - Adorkable

Us Two

 

 

The next day, the weather was cold (normal cause it’s winter) and the heater inside the house was put on the highest level.

I was eating the breakfast that mom cooked earlier. Being too absorbed on eating, I didn’t realize the girl – Naeun, was sitting across of me. 

With a smile on her face, she greeted “Good morning, Myungsoo-shi!” enthusiastically.

“Morning,” was the only replied I gave to her and then, I continued eating my meal.

It was quiet for a few seconds until she broke it.

“So, what are you going to do today?”

With a small shrugged by the shoulders, I said, “I don’t know, probably sleeping for the whole day.”

I heard a loud gasped coming from her. I averted my gazed from the food towards her.

“Such a waste of time! You should go around the town and get some fresh air! Who knows when will be your last time seeing the world’s beauty…”

Her expression was clouded for a split second before her lips formed a smile – a forced smile I would say.

“Ah!” she suddenly exclaimed, clasping her hands on the table. “How about we go to the mountain later? The view of the town from there must be absolutely beautiful!” she said it with her usual full of enthusiasm.

How like a kid she looked at that time.

Putting the chopstick on the table, a sighed escaped from my lips. “The mountain?” I said, with an eyebrow raised.

She nodded excitedly. “Yup! It’s not that far, we could go there by foot! It takes only an half of hour. So, do you want to go?”

 I stared at her for a while, contemplating whether to go or not. I don’t know but she seemed excited with the plan and it looked like she wanted to go there.

With a sighed, I said. “Okay then,”

The moment I agreed with it, she was beaming and her eyes sparkling with happiness and delightful.

“Yes! Thank you!”

And there’s that smile again – the smile that making me feel warm.

 

At noon, we were already starting our track. The weather was a bit warm and not as cold as in the morning.

The whole journey to the mountain was noisy and it all thanks to, no other than – Son Naeun.

She kept blabbering about something that doesn’t make any sense to me (although some of it did).

“Is that a camera on your hand, Myungsoo-shi?” she once asked during our way towards the place that she said “the best spot that you could see the whole town!”

Back to her question, I responded. “Yeah and Naeun –” I called and she looked at me, wondering. “You could drop the formalities now; it’s even easier to talk.”

“Oh, okay then. So, Myungsoo,”

I hummed in respond and so, she continued, “Why did you bring your camera along?” innocently, she asked.

Although physically she looked 20 but her mentality was like a 5 year old kid.

“Isn’t it obvious why? To take picture, of course.” With a sighed, I said it to her.

A fit of giggles came from her lips. “Of course I know that. It just that – I like to see your frustrated and annoyed face,” she stated and childishly stuck her tongue out before she ran further away from me, leaving the startled and stunned me behind.

W-What did her even mean by that…?

 

Few minutes later, we had reached at the peak of the mountain, where its view was directly towards the town.

The town was coated with snow and as it on cue, the snow started to fall. The view was breath-taking and beautiful.

It’s been such a long time I’ve seen this kind of view and the last time I’ve seen it was when I was twelve – with my father before he died a few months later because of leukaemia.

“Waaah!!” an excited voice came bursting through my ears, interrupting my thought. I looked to my left and I thought that I saw an angel just came down from the sky (cliché, I know but it’s the truth).

She was smiling oh-so-sweetly as the ray of the sun shone on her and with the white background along with the snow falls; it was picture perfect.

Without any second thought, I held my camera in front of me and clicked the shutter.

I saw her expression suddenly change when she heard the click of the shutter. Turning to face me, her jaws dropped and on her face wrote how-dare-you-what-did-you-just-did.

Cheekily, I grinned at her and as she seemed to get the meaning, she began to come closer and trying to snatch the camera from me.

But because of the big gap between our heights, she couldn’t reach it since I held the camera high above my head.

“Yah, Kim Myungsoo! Gimme your camera! I want to see how hideous I look when you took a picture of me without my permission!” she said as she hopped, still trying to snatch the camera.

I was laughing seeing her being like that. She looked ridiculous! Ridiculously cute, that is.

“How dare you laughed! Gimme the camera!” she insisted on taking the camera as she hoped with all her might but too bad; no matter how she hoped, she didn’t get any taller.

Her face was flushed with red and I can’t help it but to find it cute. With her long hair already a mess and some of the strands sticking on her face – how can she didn’t get tired with all of the hopping?

Feeling a sudden tug on my right arm, I was forcefully bent forward and was stunned to see that she was the one tugging it.

With a satisfied smile, she snatched the camera from my left hand. “Yes! I’ve got it –”

Her words were left hanging as our gazed met. I was on her eye-level and our distance was so close until our noses almost touch.

For a few seconds, we stayed like that when she suddenly clutching her chest, pain was written on her face as her knees slowly came in touch with the snowy ground.

Surprised, I went down with her and held both of her shoulders.

“Naeun, what’s wrong? Are you okay?” I asked her, full of concern and worried as my eyes were scanning all over her, searching for the cause of her pain.

She didn’t say anything besides lowering her head even deeper. The camera that was on her right hand had been let loose and was now laying on the ground between us. 

For a few minutes, she stayed like that and as minute by minute passed, I was growing anxious and worried.

Finally raising her head, she looked at me for a moment before giving me a smile – a weak smile. Lifting one concern eyebrow to her, I asked, “Are you okay? Did you need to go to the hospital or something?”

I was expecting her to either shook or nodding her head but instead, she was giggling.

 

What the heck just happened here?

 

“I’m sorry, really! That was just an act, I’m sorry! Sorry for making you worried!” she spoke between her giggles.

I was actually felt relief that it was just an act but….how dare she tricked me?!

Feeling a little bit annoyed, inwardly I pinched both of her cheeks.

“Ah, ouch!” she grimaced but didn’t bother to slap my hands away from her cheeks.

I finally let her cheeks go when I felt satisfied enough.

“That’s for tricking me and making me worried.” With a strict tone, I said to her and she looked fidgety as she murmured a soft “I’m sorry…”

With a sighed, I stood up with the camera on my left hand (without her unnoticed). Held out my right hand to her, she grabbed it and stood up.

“And because of what you did earlier, you couldn’t see that hideous picture of yours,” I teasingly said to her as I childishly stuck out my tongue.

She pouted and her face looked unsatisfied and disappointed.

Trying to resist myself from laughing, I walked away from her and when I was a few metres away from her, I heard her shouting “Where are you going?”

I turned around and shouted back, “Home” and with only hearing that one word, she immediately rushed towards me.

I chuckled seeing her being a dork plus adorable at the same time – adorkable.

 

 

_______________________________________

 

a/n: so...the second update of the week :p Some feedback from you guys would be lovely~ (please, other than 'update soon' cause it's not exactly what you call a feedback)