Chapter 5 - Not An Act

Us Two

 

 

I followed her grandmother to the hospital. Apparently she went home to take her (Naeun) clothes and told me that she had been charged into the hospital last night – ER.

Now I know why I had all those bad feelings about her.

We were in front of her room and I couldn’t see her because of the family-only policy. Halseong halmeoni didn’t go in and instead, she sat at one of the chair that had been lined on the wall; asking me to sit beside her.

And so, I did.

With a lungful sighed, she started, “Naeun…she has some problems with her lungs ever since she was little. At some point, her lungs are okay and at the other point, her lungs are not and last night, the latter occurred.”

She was quiet for a moment, trying to not let a tear drop from her eyes.

“She came here since her doctor said that the country air would be better than the city’s dirty and polluted air. For the past 4 months, her lungs had been doing well until last night…she suddenly had trouble breathing. Naeun – that girl sure is smart” and her lips curved slightly upwards.

“Naeun pushed the bed-side lamp to wake me up and call me to her room. And when I saw her like – like her soul had been pulled out from her body, I called 911.”

She choked a bit on the last word and then, she cried. I don’t know what to say or what to do. But a few seconds after, I thought that Halseong halmeoni might needed some comfort and so, I wrapped my arms around her.

 

After a few minutes of comforting Halseong halmeoni, she went inside Naeun’s room to check on her. She told me before she went inside that she would ask the nurse to let me in and I just nodded.

I was shocked; bewildered even after hearing that Naeun was sick. The bubbly and cheerful Naeun was actually sick – and with lungs problem and she even dare to climb up the mountain!  

But really, I expect that she had ever since she fainted at the street.

Soon enough, her grandmother came out from the room. She had asked the nurse in-charge of Naeun and the nurse had agreed to let me in and so, I went inside her room.

The moment I stepped inside, I could see a few wire of tubes had attached on her arms and in her nose; a few machines besides her that was beeping loudly but failed to wake her up.

 I walked closer to the bed. Her eyes were closed and I could see the long lashes she had. Her skin was pale and her long wavy black hair seemed to be perfectly comb, probably by the nurse or her grandmother.

I stared at her face.

Naeun…that girl, she is special. She always has this smile that could make you feel warm and fuzzy inside. She sometimes annoyed you so much that when she didn’t even do it once in a day, you would feel weird. She made me to be myself and forget about the showbiz. She didn’t know me – heck, she never did until I came here.

Now I know why she never did know me. Her sickness, her life is more important rather than knowing some useless actors/singers.

That’s why, I admire her. I admire her for being her. I admire her for living her life to the fullest and not showing any sign of depression about her condition.

I had admired her in so many ways that my heart actually fell for her.

I had fallen in love with her – without even me knowing.

Unexpectedly, a tear dropped from my eyes.

I cried – an actual drop of tear and it’s not even an act. I’ve been faking cries a lot of time that I forgot when was the last time I actually cried.

I held her hand, tightly but not that tight.

 “Naeun,” I sobbed.

 

“I miss you….”

 

 

 

 

_____________________________________________________________

a/n: i'm terribly sorry for not updating last week! cause i had been attacked by fever,flu and cough; all of those three at once and it was a torture orz so, anyway! enjoy this short update until the next chapter come up :p 

Oh, and Happy Lunar New Year to all of you who celebrate it~