Sudden

Snow Tale

 

Tao's point of view

After being told she couldn't use my wings, Chen and Lay cried more. ''You gave up your wings and she couldn't even use them! And you still have to leave? This is just not fair,'' Chen bawled, his tears coming out like waterfalls.

''Though that , it was worth a try. I don't regret it and thank you for trying,'' I bowed to healer. He apologized once again before leaving to attend to his other patients.

I sighed and sat down, running my fingers through my hair. I wonder if Jieun is up yet? I really don't want to see her reaction when she finds out her wings are gone. She's going to be devastated..

''I'm sorry guys, I know I have the rest of the week left but can I go visit Jieun right now?'' I asked, standing up from my seat. 

''Of course, we can hang out later. Go visit her, she's probably going to feel guilty and sad,'' Kris said, rubbing my shoulder.

''Jieun is going to be miserable without you too! She's the closest to you,'' Lay sniffled. I looked down, ''I-I think she'll be fine without me.''

''Tao, don't sound so guilty like it's all your fault. Just go visit her, she's probably awake by now and I think the first she wants to see is you,'' Luhan said, urging me to go. But is is all my fault.

''Alright, I'll go now. I'll see you guys later,'' I let out a small smile, giving Chen and Lay a hug to comfort them before leaving to Jieun's room.

Jieun's point of view

I was shocked when I heard everything. I wasn't shocked about my wings, I kind of expected it but Tao giving his wings for me? I didn't expect that.

Mom also told me about him getting kicked out of the castle. I begged her not to but dad has made up his mind. She says it doesn't make a difference. Tao wouldn't be able to stay as my warrior any ways since he doesn't have wings.

Oh, the guilt. I feel it in me. He gave up his wings just for me and the procedure didn't even go well. I don't even care about the pain in my body anymore. 

Maybe he's mad the procedure didn't work? Why isn't he coming to visit me? I let out a dejected sigh and curled under my blankets, burying myself underneath the soft cloth. 

Knock knock

My eyes widened and I immediately sat up, kicking the blankets off me. ''Come in,'' I said, in an eager voice. 

I felt disappointment when I realized it was just the maid. She had a bucket of something and a white cloth. ''Miss Jieun, I'm here to help relieve your pain.''

''Oh okay, come in. H-Have you seen my warrior around? Is he with my other teachers or?'' I asked, sitting at the edge of my bed as she put her bucket down on the floor. The substance in the bucket was blue-ish and I think it's just some healing lotion.

''I saw him a while ago. He's probably packing for his leave,'' the maid responded, dipping the cloth in the blue substance and rubbing it on my bare arms. Oh, don't remind me about his leave. I feel horrible already.

I watched as the stuff disappeared in my arms and it felt slightly better. My whole body was sore from the procedure and stiff from sleeping a lot.

Knock knock.

I looked up again expectedly, ''Who is it?'' It was silent for a bit before a voice spoke up.

''It's.. Tao.''

''Come in.''

The door opened slowly and I hoped he would rush to my side and give me a big hug but instead he just stood there gingerly by the door, as if he's scared of me.

''Tao, don't just stand there by the door. Sit next to me. And where were you all this time?'' I asked, patting the spot on the bed next to me.

He carefully walked in, face emotionless. The maid got up to bow to him but he excused her, ''Can I have some time to talk to the princess?''

''Of course, I'll be back later then,'' the maid bowed, taking her stuff and leaving.

Tao stood there for a bit, not saying anything and not looking at me. Why isn't he talking? He's usually so talkative and bubbly. 

It was like that before a different maid came in. ''Sorry to disturb you, the newcomer has explored the town and was given a tour of the castle. The elders found a way to bring him back to earth and he wanted to give you this before leaving.'' she handed me a container with a pink-ish liquid in it.

''Thank you and I guess I'll say my goodbye to him later, right?,'' I asked. ''Yes, he'll say his goodbyes and be on his leave. I also brought two cups, knowing warrior Tao was in here,'' she said, pouring the drink into two cups, handing one to me and one to Tao. 

When the maid left the first thing Tao said to me was, ''Sorry.''

''For what? I should be the one saying sorry,'' I said, leaning my back against the bed's frame, glad the awkward silence was over. ''You lost your wings because of me. As a princess, wings are really important to you,'' Tao said, still standing there with his back straight.

''And you also lost yours trying to help me. As a warrior, wings are important to you too,'' I said, taking a sip of the sweet drink.

''You're a princess, you're way more important than me. You're the strongest on this planet, when you master all your powers, you'll be undefeatable. I'm just a mere warrior. Well, not anymore,'' he sighed, tightly grasping onto his cup. 

''A mere warrior? Tao, you're more than that and you know it. And why are you just standing there? Sit, and don't worry I'll convince my dad,'' I said reassuringly. I will not let Tao get kicked out, he's a really special friend and losing him would be like losing a big brother.

''No, I won't sit. And don't think about convincing your dad too, I want to take this punishment. This has been my fault and I was really childish, I'm not fit to be your protector anymore,'' he said seriously. I thought he was kidding but his face was as hard as a rock.

''Tao, what has gotten into you? Why are you blaming yourself? And you've been a great warrior to me for years, why are you backing out now? Don't you think about me? Or the others? You've been a great friend to us. If you leave, we're all going to be devastated,'' I said, slightly angered for some reason.

''It is my fault! I wasn't even a warrior at all. Yes, I trained for it but I was more of a friend than a warrior. I couldn't even protect you and I got you hurt instead,'' his face looked pained and sorry as he looked away from my gaze and gulped down his drink.

''You were a great friend though, I rather have a friend than an awkward stranger protecting me,'' I admitted. ''You wouldn't be safe that way, Jieun! It would have been better if I didn't even get close to you. I'm just glad it wasn't something worse that happened, then maybe I couldn't have protected you,'' he said in a broken voice.

''Why are you blowing this out of proportion? It was a silly mistake, it's just my wings. I'll be fine without them! Why are you saying all these other things? I'm glad you became my friend, I'm glad you're my warrior and I hope you still are. I don't regret anything.'' I said, getting frustrated with Tao blaming this all on himself.

''You don't understand. I'll just accept this punishment and move on. Don't try to convince the king,'' he said sternly, placing his glass cup on the top of the drawer and leaving.

I'm frustrated and confused. Why is Tao blaming all this on himself? Did he say he wish he wasn't my friend in the first place? Tao, what's going on with you? You told me not to change my dad's mind, but I want to. Since you're leaving in less than a week, is this how our goodbye is going to be like?

I breathed out and drank my drink before sinking back into my bed, placing the cup near my bed. Stupid Tao..

--

The week felt so short. My teachers and Tao had a feast before Tao's leave. Other than that, I haven't seen Tao. He hasn't visited me or talked to me. He had only spoken four words to me at the feast and it was only, ''Hey. How are you?''

And that was it. I responded but he only nodded after that. The others noticed his strange attitude and Xiumin talked to me about it. Xiumin said he's trying to be distant away from me, Tao still thinks it's his fault and is too ashamed to face me. 

This made me more frustrated. I told Tao this wasn't his fault many times, he's still ignoring me like this. Other than that, the feast went okay. Everyone tried their best to be happy and ate to their hearts content. Chen and Lay cried though, which almost made me cry. My best friend is leaving and he won't even talk to me now.

My body has been in more pain too. I, and even the healers, thought I would recover fast. I was just sore from the procedure yet my body felt more in pain each day. It was getting to the point where I almost toppled down the stairs because of the pain. I have been more careful nowadays.

I also talked to my dad, I know Tao told me not to convince him but I had to at least try. My dad didn't agree, he still wanted Tao out of the castle. Some gardener even spoke up, saying it was Tao's fault too. 

''Are you listening, princess?'' a voice snapped me away from my thoughts. I looked up to Luhan and nodded slowly. 

''Yeah, right. Still thinking about Tao? Don't worry, he'll come around. He can always send letters,'' Luhan comforted me. ''I guess, but it'll be hard for him to visit. This is the royal castle,'' I sighed. ''We'll sneak him in from time to time, don't worry,'' Luhan winked.

I smiled, ''I just hope he'll talk to me by then. And sorry, I wasn't listening. I have to move what?''

''Oh, that panda will surely give in and talk to you someday. And concentrate your mind on the tiny rock, make it move. It's small in size and weight so it should be easy,'' Luhan said, gesturing to the tiny rock on the table. I nodded and tried to concentrate my mind on it.

Instead of feeling power, like I usually did when I used telekinesis, I felt pain. I tried to ignore it, probably from the sore feeling I've been feeling this whole week.

I tried concentrating again but this pain was different. I admit, the pain I felt this week was pretty bad but this was worse. Way worse.

I opened my eyes but immediately shut them tightly after I felt the pain hit me hard at the core of my stomach. I instinctively screamed as I fell to the ground and curled up on the ground, my hands pressed against my stomach. 

''Jieun! What's wrong? Why are you-? Where's the the healer? I need a healer. Help! Warriors, go get the healer, now!!'' I heard Luhan shout in his worried voice.

The pain didn't leave and I stayed on the ground, shaking from the all the pain I was taking at once. I heard an alert sounding go off. ''We have been invaded! Everyone get into the castle for lockdown. I repeat, this is a lockdown. We have been invaded, please get into the castle quickly. Lockdown in two minutes. I repeat, lockdown in two minutes.''

''Lockdown? Invasion? What's going on?'' Luhan shouted, carrying me into his arms and running out of the arena to the safety of the castle.

The pain didn't stop at the stomach. It spread, and I felt like every bone in my body was being crushed. I screamed in agony and tears poured down my cheek. My ears were ringing and I had no time to think about what's happening.

''Help! The princess is hurt!'' I heard Luhan shout again. I heard everyone screaming and in a hurry. In the midst of all the pain and panic, I heard another scream of pain. I recognized the voice. It was from Tao.

Soon, it felt like my body was being cut apart, piece by piece and I felt my ears ringing loudly again. I whimpered as I felt my whole body go numb. I couldn't move any part of my body and my eyes won't open.

What is happening to my planet? If only I could see what's going on to help. Why is everything turning into havoc?

''What's wrong with Tao? What happened? Move the princess to the healer's ward in the safety room! Go!'' Kris's hurried voice yelled.

''Shut down the castle! Send all the warriors and guards to the town and protect our planet! They are getting closer, HURRY!!'' the king's voice boomed. 

''Tao's not moving! Jieun isn't either, I was with Jieun and she was fine before but she-'' Luhan's voice got cut off and I heard nothing.

I felt nothing, heard nothing, and couldn't move. What is going on? Everything was black and I felt myself separating. As if my soul was leaving my body, I felt that kind of separation.