His Wings

Snow Tale

  

*Warning- There will be a part where it's gruesome. I will tell you which part and you can skip over it. During that part I will have these little stars around it, ''***.''

 

Tao's point of view

Nervously, I followed the King back to his chamber. We walked in and he slammed the door shut, and silence falls upon us. He sits down his desk and props his elbows on the table, glaring at me.

''Explain.''

Taking a breath to calm myself, I explained to him about the forest and how I was going to play a joke on Jieun, to scare her. I told him she ran and got her wings caught in the trees and the rest.

''So it was your idea to go to the forest? And you played a silly prank on her and got her into this?'' he asked slowly, trying to contain his anger.

I lowered my head a bit but kept my eyes on him, scared that it'll be rude if I looked away. ''Yes, I suggested on going to the forest and I-I played that prank,'' I admitted, trying not to stutter.

''Zi Tao, you are her warrior. Your job is to protect her and nothing else. Just because everything seems safe now, doesn't mean you can be all laid back! I was always wary of you, you guys were too friendly and too informal. It was almost as if you were too busy befriending her instead of doing your job. This-This was really childish of you, Tao,'' he spat, his words dripping with a hint of anger and mostly disappointment. His words stung but I knew he was right.

''I admit, I was really childish and it is all my fault. I shall hold all responsibilities and accept your punishment wholeheartedly,'' I bowed. I messed up big time, and I feel guilty as is. Gosh, how can I be so stupid?

''You've been with Jieun for a long time now and even though I'm really angered with you right now, I will give you a light punishment. You will no longer be Jieun's warrior and you are to be removed from the castle,'' he said in a bitter voice, getting up from his seat.

My head snapped up from his words. Leave? I have to leave? This is a way worse punishment. I rather take a beating or get my powers stripped from me but leaving? I've been friends with Jieun and I grew to like the staff and other warriors here. The castle is like my home.

Knowing I can not refuse the King, I nodded solemnly, ''Y-Yes, your majesty.''

''By the end of week you should be gone. I'm not giving you this light punishment for your benefit, it's for Jieun. She would hate me if I harm you. So don't think I'm doing this for you,'' he said, opening the door and motioning for me to get out.

I bowed again before exiting and I bit my bottom lip as I let his words sink in. I won't be here anymore. I really messed up big time..

I tried to hide my sadness as I headed to the healer's ward to check on Jieun. I saw the healer outside, wiping his hands with a towel. He saw me and nodded his head at door, ''You can visit her.''

I nodded and opened the door slowly. She was fast asleep on the bed and I could see some blood on the towels and her wings, which are now black, placed on the side.

I felt the guilt return in a moments of seconds and I just feel it eating me up. No, Jieun isn't going to die or anything but having her wings gone would mean she can't fly. Everyone in the castle has wings and it's a great thing to have. Her wings were the most beautiful pair of wings out there too. 

Having wings also made us stealthy, we could escape troubles fast and for a royal like her, wings would keep her safe. But without it, if there is trouble, it's going to be really hard for her. She's going to hate me when she wakes up.

''She'll be fine, Tao,'' the healer said, putting a hand on my shoulder. I let out a sigh, ''If only I could give her my wings or something.''

Then my eyes widened and I looked to the healer, ''Wait, can you do that? Can you unattach my wings and give it to her?''

The healer looked at me with furrowed brows, ''I've never tried it before. But Tao, if you lose your wings you can't be her warrior. Wings make you have a fast getaway and it's safer to have, without it, you'll just be a buff guy with powers. An enemy with wings would easily defeat you.''

''It doesn't matter. I can't be her warrior anyways. The King kicked me out of the castle, I have to be gone by this week. Can you at least try it? This is all my fault, even if it doesn't work it'll be worth a shot,'' I said, almost begging. 

I really wanted to do this. It might not work but it didn't matter. I wouldn't need wings anyways, I'm going to be a commoner in the town. Wings aren't going to be essential to me unless I'm attacked but even so, I'm already trained in fighting and I have powers.

''If you are really up to this, then I will try. But remember Tao, I have never done this. There's a really small chance this will work,'' he noted. ''I know, I'm fine with it,'' I said, certain.

''Alright then, I'll inform the King and Queen and see if they are fine with it. If they want to give it a go, I'll do the procedure,'' he explained. I nodded and bowed then he left to look for the King and Queen.

I walked into the room and sat on the tiny stool next to Jieun's bed, staring at her sleeper figure. 

The King was right. I was really childish and stupid. I should have kept everything formal. You're just so comfortable and fun to be around. 

''If..If I ever get the chance to be your warrior again, I'll promise to protect you with my life and be serious about my job,'' I murmured quietly, not wanting to wake her up. I smiled a bit and got up, kissing her temple softly before leaving the room.

--

A day passed and I packed most of my things. I stared at my half empty room and sighed. What will I tell Xiumin, Luhan, and the others? I have to remember to say my goodbyes.

A knock was heard and I looked up, walking to my door and opening it. The healer.

''Do you have time now? I asked the King and Queen and they would let me do the procedure. It also took a while because I had to read some books on this. I still don't know how to perfect this,'' he said, reminding me that this was a risk.

''Yeah, I have time now,'' I said, leaving my room and going to follow the healer to his ward. ''Jieun is still knocked out cold and she'll probably wake up tonight. However, taking the wings will be painful for you,'' he said, sitting on a desk opposite of Jieun.

***I took of my shirt, careful of my wings. I heard some clank noise and I looked back to see the healer opening his box of tools, with knives, and other sharp things that I tried not to think about. I looked away and squeezed my eyes shut.

''I really have no idea how this is going to work out but I'm going to cut your wings out,'' he said. I nodded. He wiped my my back with something and then I felt the sharp pain of his knife cutting into my back. I winced, groaning loudly.

The pain shot up from my back to my whole body and I tried not to move around to much. I could feel him opening up my skin and the thought was just horrible. I breathed in and out.

C'mon Tao, this is nothing. You're a strong warrior. This could help Jieun so just endure for a bit.

I comforted myself and cracked my eyes open to see Jieun laying her. For Jieun.

The pain lasted for 10 minutes as he kept cutting into my back. I felt a lot of blood dripping down my back. He finally got my wings off and laid them to the side, after that he immediately aided me. He wiped the blood with a cold towel and press his hands on my back, healing the huge cuts he made.

Healing was also painful. You can feel all your tissues and skin growing at a fast rate and all pulling back together. I let out a scream and immediately bit down on my bottom lip after that. ***

The whole room started to get blurry and I felt my whole body get tired before I saw nothing but black.

 

_______

Sorry it got pretty gory at the end and almost half the chapter is that part. xD I couldn't help it. 

Hope you enjoyed the chapter and have a wonderful day (; Boy, school is starting next week but I'll try to update! New semester means a new start for me and since I got pretty bad grades for the last semester, I'm going to work hard.

I hope you guys are doing good too! Byee c;

-UnworldlySoul