Her Wings

Snow Tale

Jieun's point of view

Another week passed and that newcomer, Yonghwa was still here. We didn't know how to bring him back to his world, we even consulted the elders but had no luck getting any information from them. First of all, we don't even know where his planet is located so even if we find a way to transport him, we can't get him there.

I felt bad for him, we talked some more and he told me all about his life back there. He had a nice home, a family he visited on the weekends because he's in college, friends, and he talked about his education going so well for him. He might never go back to that.

I sighed and sat up on my bed, removing the sheets and heading to my drawer to get a change of clothes. I peeked outside and saw one of the workers conjuring up snow from the air, ahh if only I could do that. Even though a week passed, I still haven't mastered it.

I freshened up in the restroom, changing into my clothes and flew downstairs to meet Tao.

''Ugh, my wings feel so cramped up,'' I yawned, stretching out my arms as I landed in front of Tao. ''Because you were sleeping on it again,'' Tao said, fixing my bent wing and I winced.

''Couldn't help it, it's really soft and comfy,'' I smiled, flapping my wings lightly as I turned my head to admire it. Everyone in Crystal Scar has wings, mostly white ones but some have light grey. As for me, my wings are light blue because I'm on of the royals.

''Oh, and how was skating? I forgot to ask,'' Tao asked as we walked out of the castle.

''It was good. Though you know, it's never fun. Dad is so serious all the time and mom is just by his side, agreeing to whatever he was doing. Maybe if you were there, I'd have more fun,'' I said truthfully, gingerly moving my wings to block the air from blowing onto my face.

''You know I couldn't join those, there was plenty of guards and othe warriors there so I wasn't needed,'' he said, flipping his hair to side because the wind was messing it up.

''Those events are boring, and where are we going again?'' I asked, looking up to the huge snowy mountains and then looking down to see the town.

''Where do you want to go? Forest?'' he asked, pointing to the forest on the left. The trees were all covered in snow and it was filled with snow and ice sculptures.

I haven't been there in quite a while and maybe that little ice sculpture I built three months ago is still there. ''Yeah, let's go to the forest,'' I said eagerly, tugging Tao's sleeve as we both flew over there.

--

''Where is that ice sculpture?'' I mumbled, stepping over bushes that had shed their leaves a long, long time ago. ''Be careful of your wings,'' Tao reminded and his wings hit a branch. I nodded and carefully moved my wings closer to my body, almost wrapping around myself with it.

''This forest looks way creepier now, it used to be so pretty and it wasn't this crowded with shrubs,'' I said, looking around for that sculpture.

''Princess, what are you doing here?'' a voice said. I looked up to see a worker who was cutting some branches to clear the space.

''I just wanted to go to the forest, it'll only be a while and she's safe with me,'' Tao said with assurance. The worker nodded and went back to his work.

''It was a sculpture of a rabbit, wasn't it?'' I asked, looking at the other figures built by other people. There was a little tree, a mountain, and all these other ones made from ice or snow.

''Yeah, it was a rabbit. I remember teasing you about it, I called you a rabbit too,'' he chuckled behind me. I was about to again about being a cute, little panda when I heard a weird sound that kind of scared me. It sounded like water roughly hitting a surface. I looked up and it wasn't raining or anything.

''Tao, do you hear that?'' I asked, without turning back to look at him. ''Nope.'' he responded. I heard some branches crack and a crunch sound. Was it the worker? We already walked quite a long way, it couldn't be that worker.

''Maybe we should go back, it's getting kind of-'' I turned and stopped talking when I didn't see Tao behind me anymore. I went into panic mode.

''T-Tao? Where are you??'' I called out, getting scared. I scanned the area for him and didn't see him anywhere.

''Surprise!'' a sudden voice said in my ear. I screamed and ran without turning back. I was in such panic that my wings weren't folded around me anymore and it opened up, letting the branches stab into my wings. 

I stopped running and winced, feeling a sharp pain on my wings. ''Jieun! Oh my gosh,'' Tao appeared behind me, his eyes wide.

I felt realived to see Tao and I turned to look at my wings, a wide gash was on it and my right wing was stuck on a branch while my left was bleeding from the rough branches. 

It hurt so much and I squeezed my eyes shut, trying to ignore to the pain but it was intensifying as more blood came out. My light blue wings were now stained with dark red.

''I-I'm so sorry. I just wanted to scare you, I didn't think-,'' he didn't continue as he bit down hard on his lower and tried to carefully remove my wing from the large branch.

My body shook lightly as I kept feeling the pain and my body was slightly glowing blue which meant there is trouble.

''J-Jieun, you're glowing. You're in trouble and I'll get you back to the castle, don't worry. I'm so sorry,'' he said, his voice sounded so desperate and scared.

I felt slightly light headed from the loss of blood and was too tired to respond to Tao and tell him it was ok. After he freed my wings he scooped me up into his arms, careful not to squish my wings.

''Tao.. i-it hurts,'' I whispered quietly as I felt tears well up in my eyes. ''I know it does. This is all my fault, I'm sorry. Jieun, I really am sorry. Please bare with the pain a bit more, I'm close to the castle,'' he apologized over and over again. He practically ran through the forest, swiftly avoiding all branches though he got a few cuts here and there. 

He whispered comforting words to me as he rushed to the castle. His voice sounded so broken, like I was going to die and he'll never see me again.

''Silly little panda, I'll be fine. Sto-stop apologizing. I'm okay,'' I said lightly before I felt my whole body and mind get tired and I saw nothing but black after that.

--

Tao's point of view

I arrived at the castle and shouted at the guards to help me. Seeing their princess with her eyes closed and bleeding, they hurriedly flew to me and took her away from me and rushed her to the healer.

I followed them and we arrived at the healer in no time. The guards laid Jieun in front of the healer. ''I'll inform the King and Queen,'' one of the guards said. Some maids came to assist the healer and some guards left to give space to them.

I left out a shaky sigh and laid my back on the wall, sliding down to the ground and staring at Jieun. Everyone was in panic and within minutes, everyone knew about what happened to the princess.

I buried my head in my arms. This is all my fault. Why was I so stupid to play a silly prank like that? I should've known she would have gotten scared and ran. I'm so stupid. Jieun, please get better.

Though I could feel the hope giving up in me. We have fragile wings. Yes, they are tough and strong enough to survive a person sleeping on it or even small gashes. Usually wings are hard to hurt but the thing is, once they are hurt, it's really hard to cure. I just hope Jieun's wings made it in time. 

An hour passed and King Jaejoong and Queen Jihyo were already here, hoping for their dear daughter to get better. 

''I did my best, I'm sorry,'' the healer said. I whipped my head up to see the angry face of King Jaejoong and the sad face of his wife.

''So you can't help her wings? You the best healer here! Why can't you cure here?!'' the king asked, you could tell he was furious.

''The cuts were too big, and it's hard to heal wings. You know our wings are strong but when it gets hurt, it turns really fragile and easier to hurt. There's nothing I can do now, I'm sorry your majesties,'' the healer bowed.

And that's when the huge wave of guilt hit me right in the gut and I just wanted to crawl in a hole and stay there forever. Jieun just lost her wings because of me. I looked to her body laying there and saw that her light blue wings were no longer light blue, they turned grey and soon it'll just rot.

''I'm going to need to remove her wings now since they can't be healed. Please step outside so I can do the procedure,'' the healer said politely.

King Jaejoong huffed angrily and stormed out of the room with Queen Jihyo following behind him quietly with a tear-stained face. I slowly got up, ignoring the tiny pains on my body from slight scratches that I got from running through the forest carrying Jieun. 

I stepped outside and they closed the door. ''Since nothing can be helped, someone tell me what happened to my daughter. Tao, you're her warrior, what in the world did happen? Your job is to protect her,'' the King said in a sharp voice that scared me.

''It was all my fault, sir,'' I admitted, bowing. ''Your fault? What did you do?!'' he yelled, demanding an answer. ''Honey, you're causing a scene. The workers are going to gossip and spread nonsense, chat in your chamber,'' Queen Jihyo informed, noting the maids and the guards who were already starting to talk.

''Alright, Tao, come to my chamber,'' the king ordered as he swiftly turned and stomped back to his chamber. I gulped and followed him, awaiting my huge punishment that I deserve.

 

____

Third chapter!! Yay, more action on this one. I hope you enjoyed it and sorry, you might think it's going slow and it probably is but this will all fit in later. L.Joe won't appear till chapter 6, maybe ??

Well, I hope you enjoyed the chapter and have a wonderful day! (;

-UnworldlySoul