Stranger from Earth

Snow Tale

Jieun's point of view

''This is still so fascinating! I'm still marveling the structure of the castle,'' the newcomer named Yonghwa said, his eyes still twinkled with excitement. He sat on a chair across from me and Tao.

''I'm glad you've taken a liking to our world,'' I smiled. I felt proud, he really liked our world. He arrived yesterday from a world he calls Earth and has been learning all about ours since yesterday. He's been telling about his world too and even showed a picture from his weird mechanic little thing called an iPhone. 

''We're so alike, yet so different. It's crazy how everyone of you here each have two powers, in our world we don't have that. Only in shows with super heroes but still this is simply amazing,'' he said, still so astonished by everything. 

''Yeah, everyone each has two powers here except for the royals though. They're special, princess Jieun has three powers and a gift of her body glowing when there's trouble around,'' Tao explained, sitting down next to me on the white sofa. 

''I guess the seasons arrive at different times too. In my country on Earth, South Korea, it's summer,'' he said, rubbing his hands together to create warmth. ''Summer?'' I said confused. I have never heard of that before.

''You don't know what summer is? Is it cold here all the time??'' he said, surprised we didn't know what this word ''summer'' meant.

''Cold? It's not cold,'' I said, confused. I looked down at the dress I was wearing and looked at Yonghwa who was wearing a huge jacket and long fluffy pants that a worker here gave him.

''What? I just noticed you're wearing a dress.. and he's wearing a sleeveless shirt. I'm freezing here and you guys can't feel it?'' he said, eyes wide open. 

Me and Tao looked at each and shook our heads. We felt completely fine.

''Woah, this is way cooler. You guys must have like protective skin or something, no wonder you're so pale. And wait, you guys don't have a sun?'' he asked, getting more and more interested.

''A sun? We only know of our Crystal, that bright, white circle thing in the sky is our Crystal,'' I explained. We always called it a Crystal, maybe it was something different to them.

''Crystal? I thought it was the moon.. Everything here seems so cold, and has a winter feel to it. Do you guys know what fire is?'' he asked, clasping his hands together. 

''Fire? What's that?'' Tao asked, tilting his head to the side. ''You don't know what fire is? A flame, a really hot thing that can burn your skin off,'' he explained.

This was starting to get crazy for me too. I've never heard of.. ''fire.'' It seemed so crazy, something so hot it can burn you. If that was here, our whole world would be gone..

''Never heard of that,'' Tao shook his head. ''How do guys cook your food? Without fire or a lot of heat, you can't do that. What do you eat here?'' Yonghwa asked me more questions. 

''Well, the most common thing we have here is ice cream. We have bread, sandwhiches, cold noodles, and other food that is shipped here from another planet. We wanted a variety,'' I said, feeling my tummy get a bit hungry.

''The other planet is called Rift, we don't know how they make the food but we don't really care how they make it. They just ship food here and we ship other things in return,'' Tao said.

''So, I think I'm knowing more about your world. Two more questions though, I can see I'm tiring you guys out with me asking so much but are you guys angels? You guys have wings and you have powers,'' he said, staring at my two wings behind my back. 

I widened them more so he could see and shook my head, ''We are not angels, I've heard many stories of them before. I heard they could do so much, and they have more powers. We haven't encountered any but just heard stories about them.''

''Ahh, okay. Last question, how do I get back to Earth?'' he asked, and I could see the hint of sadness in his eyes. Tao nervously looked at me and I bit my lip.

''We..don't exactly know how,'' I said slowly. He let out a dejected sigh, ''I really want to go back. I find your world really great but Earth is where I should be. I'm in college and I have family and friends back there. I don't know how I got here either but maybe you guys can help me? Please?'' he begged.

''Of course, we'll try to help you as much as we can. We can talk to some elders who know more and maybe we can find out how you got here. Princess Jieun has to go now, it's time for lunch,'' Tao said, getting up from the sofa.  

''Thank you for the nice talk and it was an honor to talk to the princess of the world,'' he smiled kindly, bowing. ''You're very welcome. Thank you for sharing a bit about your world too. I'll see you another time then,'' I smiled back, bowing, and giving a little wave before exiting out with Tao.

When I got out of the room, I let out a huge sigh, ''Well, wasn't that so exciting? Another world out there. Makes me wonder how much more there is.''

''Yeah, I want to see fire. I'm guessing it's opposite from snow,'' Tao said, walking with me to the kitchen. ''Sounds scary and can we eat in my room? I want to practice my powers again,'' I said, holding onto Tao's arm, hoping he'll agree.

''This will be the last time. You can't be excused from the table so many times. The King and Queen might get mad,'' Tao said sternly. I nodded, ''I'll make it up to umma and appa later. We're going skating tomorrow.''

''Alright, I'll go excuse you from the table and bring your lunch up,'' Tao said, walking towards the kitchen as I went upstairs. ''Thank you, my little panda!'' I called out before I went up. He turned his head a bit to glare at me but ran into a pillar. 

He let out a little girl-ish groan and held onto his face. I laughed, ''Clumsy little panda!'' 

--

I went upstairs to my room and jumped onto my wide, fluffy, and white bed. I spread my widely spread my wings and laid there.

I hugged my pillow tightly to my chest. So many other, big worlds out there. I wonder if I can ever visit one of them. Oh, the adventure and the new things I could learn..

I sat up on my bed and tried concentrating again, practicing my frost powers. 

After countless times of sitting there, eyes closed, and concentrating, I still couldn't do it. The power of frost is really important here in Crystal Scar. It's what is keeping our world going and alive.

People who have frost are important people and their job is to keep our world this snowy and stop anything from melting. I have this important power yet I can't even master it, it's so frustrating. 

I squished my face against the pillow and groaned, tired from trying to master this power. I heard the door open and a gasp.

''No, Tao. I am not dead, you don't have to worry,'' I murmured against my pillow. ''Uhm, Jieun. Look up please,'' Tao said, his voice sounding kind of happy. ''What?'' I looked up from my pillow and my eyes widened when I saw some of the things around me floating in mid air. 

The lamp, my other pillows, and most of the other things in my room were floating. Heck, even my desk was in the air!

''Oh my gosh..'' I said, completely surprised. My mouth was wide open and I kept looking around, at the floating objects. When my mind finally calmed down, everything dropped back down to it's place and even though my room was a bit messy now, I was happy.

''That wasn't you, right?'' I asked, biting my lip to contain my wide smile. ''Of course it wasn't me you dumbo, I don't have telekinesis!'' Tao said, smiling as he rolled his eyes.

I stood up on my bed and jumped around. ''I can't believe I did that! I couldn't even make one simple plate float but just I now I made almost everything in my room fly!'' 

''Mastering two powers in a day, man am I great substitute, '' Tao joked, putting two plates on food on top of my drawer. ''But seriously, how did you do that?''

''I don't know. I was frustrated about not mastering my frost powers and it just happened,'' I said, calming down a bit and sitting at the edge of my bed, near the drawer.

''You're truly getting the hang out of your powers. You just need one to figure out how you did that just now and then mastering your frost powers. From then on, it's just going to be practice. Man, you might be queen next month!'' Tao laughed, feeling happy for me.

''Maybe, oh gosh this is just so exciting,'' I said, feeling all giddy. ''Now let's eat lunch. Without energy, you won't be able to do anything. And here,'' he said, handing me a large handkerchief. 

I stared at the cloth, ''What's that for?''

''Make ice for me and I'll wrap it in this handkerchief. My face still hurts from being punched my that pillar,'' he pouted. I laughed, ''You didn't get punched my a pillar, you ran into it.''

''Whatever, it still hurt,'' he shrugged. He made water from the air within seconds, and had a small puddle of water floating above his hand. That's one of the amazing things of Tao, he had mastered his two powers, strength and water, very easily. He didn't even have to blink and he made water appear.

I closed my eyes and concentrated a bit, turning that water into ice and before I know it, a chunk of ice plops onto the Tao's hand. 

''Thank you~'' he smiled, taking the ice and wrapping it with the handkerchief. He pressed it against his face and winced, ''I'm getting a bruise tomorrow..''

I laughed, turned to my plate of lunch and frowned, ''Tao, really? You got me vegetables?''

''You need to eat healthier, you have too much fat. You lost all that muscle from ice cream,'' he said, shaking his head in disapproval. 

''Yah! I'm the perfect weight, do you want me to hurt you? I will hurt you and not heal you!'' I threatened, holding up my pillow at him. ''Oooh, I'm so scared~ Princess Jieun is going to slap me with her pillow, oh the pain,'' he teased, feigning fear.

I threw my pillow at him with all my strength and he toppled over. ''And I thought your power was strength! I may be stronger than you.''

He sat up and glared at me, putting his ice back on his face. I smiled and sat up, pulling him to sit next to me on the bed, ''Sorry, now let's eat lunch. I really am starving now.''

I handed him his plate and we both ate the vegetables, with me complaining the whole time about the broccoli being weird because who likes vegetables?  

 

________

Sorry, second chapter was pretty boring. But I hope it made you have a better understanding of their world and how it worked. (; 

Did you enjoy this chapter? Any suggestions or questions? Comments well accepted <3

-UnworldlySoul