Disbelief

Snow Tale

 

Jieun's Point of View

I was in quite a peaceful sleep before I heard murmuring. Who's in my room? That doesn't sound like Tao. I rubbed my eyes and squinted, adjusting to the light. 

Wait, where am I any ways? Why was I sleeping? I sat up and blinked a few times and looked at my surroundings. I was on my bed in my room.

I turned my head to see my parents talking by my door.

''Mom? Dad? What are you doing here?'' I asked, suppressing a yawn and straightening my back to look more proper. They stopped talking and turned to me.

They stared at me for a couple of seconds, their faces looked happy, sad, and concerned. All mixed into one expression.

''You're awake,'' my mom said softly, breaking the silence and walking up to me to give me a hug. Confused, I hugged her back and realized something was missing. 

Her hand touched my back. Not my wings, but my back. Furrowing my brows, I tried to widen my wings to look at it. Nothing.

''Are my wings numb or?'' I asked, turning my head over my shoulder. I reached my hand to touch my back and didn't feel my soft wings.

My eyes widened and my head snapped back to look at my mom and dad. ''W-Where are my wings?'' I asked, stuttering.

My dad turned his head away and cleared his throat before exiting the room. Then it hit me, the forest, the pain that stung my wings, me fainting in Tao's arms.

''My dear, you lost your wings when you were in the forest. You got hurt badly and your wings gave up. We had to cut them off,'' my mom said, trying to be as calm as possible as she sat on the edge of my bed.

I averted my eyes to my blanket. Staring at it without saying a word. What should I say anyways?

This feels so weird, to be wingless. I'll never be able to fly..

''Dear, say something,'' she urged, not liking my strange silence. ''Where's Tao?'' I asked, looking up. Tao was always near me, he's my warrior.

''Did he get hurt too? I remember him running through the forest carrying me. Is he alright?'' I asked again, getting worried for Tao.

''He's fine. You should be worrying about yourself though, are you alright?'' she asked, smoothing my hair down. I nodded slowly, ''Surely, I can still be Queen even without my wings, right?''

''Of course, you'll just need extra guards though. You're still fit to be queen,'' she reassured. I nodded. Good, all my work hasn't gone the drain and I could still help my world, at least that made me feel a bit better.

Sure, I was sad without my wings but I could still help my planet, that's all that matters. I'll miss sleeping on those comfy things though.

I smiled and stretched my arms, ''So, where's Tao? I'm hungry.''

She looked down at her lap and avoided my eyes. Something's suspicious. ''Mom? Where's Tao?'' I asked slowly, my eyelids turned to slits.

--

Tao's Point of View

I went to run around the palace to look for some of my friends to say goodbye and just to release stress and the guilt that built up in me.

I woke up an hour after the removal of my wings and my back has been in pain since. My whole upper body was sore and it felt horrible but I didn't have time to waste. My departure at the end of the week and I want to say my goodbyes.

I went to the snow garden out back where Xiumin and Jieun used to train and saw Xiumin playing around with his frost powers. ''Minnie!'' I called out, smiling and I jogged to him.

''I told you not to call me Minn- what in the world??'' Xiumin said as he turned around. ''What? Is my beauty blinding you?'' I asked, tilting my head.

''No, of course not. Where are your wings? What-how-huh?'' he furrowed his brows and he held my shoulders and turned me around to check my back. I winced when he touched my shoulders, like I said, my whole upper body was still sore.

''Why are you in pain? Where are your wings??'' he asked as he lifted up my shirt to check my back. ''Woah, I knew you had a little crush on me. Trying to check me out, Minnie?'' I teased, laughing nervously.

''No time for joking, Tao! You have no wings on your back! Just two scars, what in the world happened? You have some explaining to do,'' he demanded, spinning me back around to face him.

''Careful with me, Minnie! I'm fragile and will be for the rest of the week,'' I pouted, rubbing my shoulders lightly.

''Huang ZiTao, if you don't answer be now I will freeze you to death!'' he threatened. His face expression held curiosity, concern, and well, more concern. I'll definitely miss that face when I leave. Imagining that already made my heart hurt a little.

''I got Jieun hurt. The princess now has no wings and I gave up mine to give to her,'' I said, lowering my head in shame. 

It was silent for a bit before he spoke up again, ''Are you handling the pain well? Is it that severe? You had to have your wings cut off, right?''

''I'm a strong panda, this pain is nothing serious. I handle it well and nah, I passed out after the procedure so I didn't have to feel much pain,'' I said, giving him a reassuring smile.

''Don't lie. You looked like you were going to cry when I touched your shoulders,'' he teased, ruffling my hair. ''Psh, yeah right,'' I slapped his hand away.

''I know you too well, Tao. And Jieun is okay as well, right? Did the procedure go well?'' he asked, walking to the bench to take a seat. I sat next to him.

''I'm not sure. She was carried back to her room, I'm not even sure if she can even use my wings,'' I said, sighing.

''You're not even sure if it'll work and you gave up yours wings just like that?'' he raised a brow. I nodded, ''It's still a chance and that's a chance I'm willing to take. I know it's a big risk. I know you'd do the same too for Jieun.''

''True.. wait, you're a wingless warrior. I know you're still capable of protecting Jieun but other people might not think so. You still have the job, right?'' he asked, sitting up straight and staring at me intently.

I bit my bottom lip, ''A-Actually, no. It was my fault and I'm in no position to protect Jieun since I was the cause of her pain today. I'm out of the palace by the end of week.''

I spoke really quietly I might not have even heard myself but Xiumin still heard it. ''..You're kidding,'' he said, with a serious face on. 

I shook my head, ''I'm not.'' 

''If you really aren't lying then shut up right now and give your Minnie a comforting hug because honestly, I feel like crying right now.''

I turned to him and was surprised at how straight forward he was being. His face held completely no emotion but his eyes held sadness. I smiled and enveloped Xiumin into a big hug.

He squeezed me tightly and I almost cried. Two reasons why, I'll probably never see Xiumin after this week and because he's squeezing me so tightly it hurt.

I heard Xiumin sniffing and that's when I knew he was crying. Hearing my strong gege cry, it broke me and I felt the tear gather up in my eyes. 

''The other guys are going to be devastated when they hear about this,'' he murmured against my shoulder. ''They'll handle it fine. We could always send each other letters,'' I said, breaking the hug and wiping the tears from my cheeks. 

''Lay and Chen are going to cry for sure,'' he laughed softly. 

We went to search for the others so I could say my early goodbyes. Lucky for me, Luhan was back from a mission in town. Xiumin gathered everyone up and I explained everything to them.

''You-You! How could you do this to me?!'' Chen whined, stomping his foot. ''Sorry, I promise I'll always send letters,'' I promised, patting his back.

''My baby gege! You're leaving me, so don't comfort me because it won't work. The only thing that could make me feel better is if you stay,'' Chen said, stubborn on not letting me leave.

''I agree with Chen! You can't do this to us!'' Lay sobbed, blowing his nose into a tissue. ''And I just came back too. Now you're leaving,'' Luhan let out a sigh and sat next to Lay on the couch to comfort him.

''You aren't even a threat to the princess, you shouldn't have to be kicked out. Maybe we could convince the king to let you stay,'' Wufan suggested, folding his arms and leaning on the side of the couch.

''That'll anger him, it's best if I leave in peace. It is my fault she doesn't have wings now,'' I explained, wanting to desperately stay but I know I can not. I still need to apologize to Jieun. She should be up by now.

''It's not all your fault, you didn't know it was going to happen. Don't put all the blame of yourself,'' Xiumin comforted me.

''If I don't take all the blame then who does? It is all my fault, Xiumin,'' I said truthfully. Chen squeezed his eyes shut and started crying some more. Chen was crying more than Lay.

''Gege, I'm the one who's supposed to sobbing, not you,'' I joked, rubbing his back. He sniffed and cried onto my shoulder, ''How will you handle being alone outside of the palace? I know you're a strong panda but you don't know what could happen.''

''I can handle it,'' I said in a strong voice to reassure him. ''And how will Jieun react to you leaving? Does she know yet?'' Kris asked.

I shook my head, ''She probably doesn't even know that I cut my wings off for her.''

''Oh my gosh! She's going to be heartbroken when you leave. You haven't even told her yet,'' Lay wept, wiping his face with the couch pillow.

''She might even hate me, I don't think she'll be heartbro-''

''I finally found you! I've been looking everywhere for you,'' the healer barged in through the door. We all bowed when he entered. ''How did the procedure go? Is she able to use my wings?'' I asked, with hope and curiosity.

.

.

.

.

.

.

''I'm sorry but no. She isn't. Your wings immediately started dying after I removed them from you. I-I didn't expect that. I tried my best, honestly. I apologize again, your wings has gone to waste,'' the healer said, face full regret. 

And that's when I felt worthless. I was so guilty before about Jieun's wings. Giving her mine erased some of that guilt. Now for sure, Jieun will never have wings and it's all my fault.