SMA Chapter 2

Starship Magic Academy

Minwoo was crouched down beside the dining table with his legs close to his chest and heart and his head rested upon them as tears fell down his face. His hands that were wrapped around his legs were holding a crumpled piece of paper that had tear stains on them.

 

"Halmeoni!" He cried out hoping his beloved grandma was still home and hadn't left him all alone with just a note left at their dining table. Hoping all that happened yesterday was a dream and nothing but a dream. "Halmeoni! Halmeoni, please come out! I won't hurt you. I can't even think of hurting you halmeoni.” His empty cries continued. "I really need you right now more than ever. I don't want to leave you and I don't want to have these powers. Why did you have to leave me at the moment when I need you the most! Halmeoni, I don’t want to be abandoned, left alone again to be by myself.”

 

But his pleas were only met with silence, not even the wind made that usual whistling sound as it came through the window.

 

Tears had stained his usually happy face. “I am sorry halmeoni… I became a big disappointment to you… I am scared halmeoni….”

 

His cries were sad and lonely. A feeling of need and wanting someone to console him but he had no one.

 

After, Minwoo had cried himself dry; he stared blankly at the wooden triangular roof above his head decorated with cobwebs. On one side there was a platform, also the attic, with a ladder from the ground floor leading up. The space there was relatively empty except for a mattress and a few sets of clothes. That was where Minwoo was tossing and turning all through the night, unable to sleep. He had climbed down the ladder only to find his Halmoni’s bed empty and all her things gone. Nothing but a piece of paper on the table.

 

His thoughts were jumbled, his face swollen and his body weak from the heavy downpour of his sad heart. His eyes slowly began to trace the note from his grandma again. The faint blush in his cheeks began to pale. His halmoni had written asking him to please read the letter from the school and to accept it for her sake. That there was something left for him in the 4th drawer of their kitchen shelves. This however to Minwoo meant she didn't want him anymore and that he had been left to go through this painful experience all alone, by himself.

 

 

Looking up at the table he could see the cursed letter that had separated his only family from him. He wanted to tear it apart and burn it to hell he really did! But, he just couldn't, his halmoni had asked him to look at it and accept it. He couldn't refuse her words even if she had left him. He loved her too much. He did.

 

He opened it up and read it.

 

'This is to lady No and her grandson No Minwoo. We, Starship Magic Academy would like to announce that No Minwoo has been accepted into the school and will receive full scholarship on behalf of the school. That is, if he would decide to enroll into this academy and stay at the schools dormitory. All that is needed for him to bring is extra necessities for his dorm room and his maintainer. We ask that if you do decide to enroll then you come to the academy as soon as possible and burn this note. If you decide to decline then we ask for you to wet this letter in water. Thank you for reading this and we hope that No Minwoo will be able to join us.'

Sincerely,

Mr. Kim K.Will

Head of Starship Magic Academy

 

He was tempted to drown this parchment into a pool of water but he couldn't because his sadness consumed it all. Minwoo’s eyes scanned the letter again and again. He didn't even know if he should be sad or depressed. This meant his Halmoni wanted him to move and stay away from her. She wanted him far away from him.

 

‘His halmeoni didn’t really want him.’

 

This sad thought overflowed throughout his body and his hands burned a blue color and the paper burned into cold ashes. He watched as his hand was inflamed with blue fire. His hands shook in fear as the flames only grew bigger and he couldn't stop it. The blue flames were starting to spread all around his body. He didn't know what to do and not having someone to guide him was making this worse.

 

He ran to the sink when he stepped on the note from his halmoni. She had written something about the 4th drawer. He ran to it and pulled it out and looked for anything and everything. He took out all of the things inside of it. It all burned away though except for a box. Hastily, he opened the box and there was a ring inside of it.

 

upkrFOhk4GHZCZvomgQgPZgiitGh1ii7TcuUycQW

 

He put it on and he felt some sort of energy in all of the flames and it vanished. He stared at his hands that had no burns at all and then to the ring. This ring wasn't normal and Minwoo knew there had to be a letter with this. He searched throughout the tiny box and in the end found a tiny letter.

 

'To uri Minwoo,

Appa and Umma are really happy to be able to give this gift to our cute little son’s 3rd birthday. We had searched high and low for the orange sapphire and had it made just for you. It's your maintainer that will help to maintain your magic powers, which we are sure, one day will be revealed. Appa and umma are hoping that this gift will be helpful to you. We love you!

 

From: Appa and Umma!  

 

He put the note back inside of the box and held it close to his heart. He closed his eyes as a single tear escaped and slid down his face.

 

___________________________________________________

 

Minwoo, with a sad smile, eyes teary, and hands reluctant, he let go of the door knob and turned away from it. With silent steps he trudged down the creaky old steps on the front porch of his beloved home to the road leading to magic market, dragging his luggage with him. He was going to miss this place more than he would have liked to. It was the only place he could ever find comfort in, despite the dusty streets, so much vegetation and relatively low level of living. This was his home.

 

Turning around once more, he stared longingly with glazed eyes at the now abandoned old wooden cottage, trying to memorise every detail; from the dusty translucent windows to the stone chimney sitting alone on the roof. Sighing inwardly, he turned away and made his way through the tall grass and down the windy path.

 

He reached the market in no time as he didn’t have much packed in his luggage. He only owned this much. People, supposedly wizards and witches were dressed in cloaks and capes and scurrying around, some giving him an odd look before rushing off. Minwoo, dressed in a dirt crusted pair of jeans and a shirt, felt so lost and out of place in the bustling area. Rows of stores and shop houses lined the street, each one with different items on their display windows. Others with a big bag of goods, trying to persuade passer-bys to purchase the items.  

 

Glancing around, he finally spotted a grand looking stone structure, with many people rushing in and out of the entrance. On top, staring at everyone was a huge face of a grand clock. The magic world train station. One of the few ways to enter the magic world.

 

As he stepped into the station, he was met with a huge area, with many signs floating in the air, pointing to different train platforms. Ticket booths were lined against one side and a huge board suspended in the middle, showing the departure times of different trains at different platforms. Numbers on the board vanished and appeared occasionally. In the distance, he could hear the whistles of trains and engines running. He went straight to a station clerk at the help desk and asked him politely.

 

"Sir, what train would I have to take to get to Starship Magic Academy?"

_______________________________________________________________________________

 

A/N: Finally an update! :) I really have to thank my co-author for this chapter cos she wrote most of it despite her having exams. We'll try to update again soon!

 

Ppyong! Xx