SMA Chapter 12

Starship Magic Academy

Dinner was filled with chatters of excitement at the Orion house table. Everyone, both freshmen and seniors alike, were stuffing their faces with food and talking about team trials at the same time. Kwangmin, Youngmin, Jeongmin and Hyunseong were huddled close together in a tight square, whispering excitedly about what positions they should aim for. Donghyun watched amused from the side and laughed slightly. He turned his eyes from them and was about to take another bite from his chicken when his gaze fell on the small young Minwoo sitting directly across him. The freshman was looking gloomily into his food, occasionally poking it with his cutlery and glanced up at the other 4 chattering away. The Year 7 prefect could see a little loneliness flash in his brown orbs that were slightly glazed over, smiling bitterly before returning his gaze down to his food that was barely eaten. The puppy-like boy looked so sad, it made the elder’s heart ache.

“Minwoo, what’s wrong? Why aren’t you eating?” he asked, concerned. The brown haired boy just slightly shook his head, causing his bangs to fall over his eyes.

“Ani, hyung. I just don’t have the appetite.”

“But you’ll need to eat in order to recover faster.. Try to at least eat half a bowl of rice and soup neh? Donghyun urged the younger, trying to get him to eat as he was worried. But the stubborn maknae just shook his head again and pushed the bowl in front of him slightly away, a small pout forming on his lips.

Donghyun didn’t know whether to laugh at his cuteness or be frustrated that his mentee wasn’t eating. Normally Minwoo would have complied but if he refused to do something, it meant he really did not want to. The younger was now resting his head, supported by his arms on the table. His eyes kept glancing over to the twins and his bottom lip quivered slightly.

The prefect suspected he knew what was bothering Minwoo, but decided not to push it right now. Sighing internally, he got up from his seat and made his way towards the kitchen located at the side of the hall, a connecting area partially hidden behind the curtains. He stepped into the kitchen lined with pots and pans, and polished white tiles on walls and floors. Cooking tools of every kind were hung everywhere. And at the back of the kitchen, on a large wooden table sat the kitchen staff, chomping noisily on their food and laughing loudly. They may seem like a rowdy bunch, but they prepared amazing food which the students love. Donghyun had gotten to know them on his first day at the academy, when he had gotten lost and ended up in the kitchen instead. The head chef, Sunny, looked up when she noticed Donghyun’s presence.

“Donghyun ah! How are you?” She beamed merrily, happy to see one of her close friends. She had been the one to help Donghyun when he got lost and from then on, always sneaked him treats and snacks in case he got hungry.

“I’ve been good, Sunny noona! I was wondering if you have some leftover soup. My mentee is not eating as he has no appetite, but I’m worried because he’s quite badly injured and needs food to recover. I’m thinking making him drink soup in the dorm would do some good.”

Then the assistant chef, Kai spoke up. ‘Oh! Is he the one who got attacked last night? I heard it was pretty bad. The security got so much tighter around here.”

Reluctantly, Donghyun nodded, the guilt rushing back but he suppressed it quickly. He remembered Mr. Kim’s words and he knew feeling like this would not help him take care of Minwoo.

“Omo! The poor boy! I hope he’s okay!” Sunny’s natural umma instincts kicked in. “Tell you what, Donghyun. I’ll prepare my special healing soup and i’ll send a container of it to your room by tonight, along with some snacks.” She winked at Donghyun.

“Really? Kamsahamnida noona! That would be great!” Donghyun knew Sunny’s magic cooking was effective as it was delicious. Minwoo would definitely get better.

“No problem dear. Now hurry along. Dinner is about to end soon.”

Bowing once more and saying goodbye to the kitchen staff, Donghyun exited the kitchen, only to bump into a person wearing a black badge. His eyes narrowed as he stared right into the eyes of none of than Choi Minho.

“Yah! Watch where you’re going, fatass. You spend way too much time in the kitchen.” Minho taunted.

The prefect was however unfazed by this. He answered with a calm and collected voice. “I have my reasons. And now, dinner is about to end so if you’ll excuse me I’ll be on my way.” He was about to walked around the Duncan house member but was stopped by a tight grip on his shoulder. Donghyun turned back to glare at Minho. “What now?”

Minho only smirked and leaned close to Donghyun’s ear. ‘You know, that Minwoo kid is only going to bring you nothing but trouble. He cannot defend him, he needs someone around him all the time. What a pathetic freshman indeed. I bet he’s ranked 200th in his year.”

Donghyun felt his anger kicked in. He shoved the hand off his shoulder. “Don’t you dare insult him. He’s stronger than you think.” The prefect hissed, not breaking direct eye contact with the other for a moment.

Minho glared back before he cockily shrugged and turned away. “Whatever,” he called over his shoulder. “But believe me when I say soon you guys won’t be there for him. Not you, nor Shim Hyunseong, nor Lee Jeongmin. Even the Jo twins will leave him eventually. And without you guys, he’ll just go on to do something dumb that will land himself in trouble” after finishing he strutted away back to his table where the Duncan house team was still gnawing on food like animals.

Donghyun had to fight the urge to grab the froggy face Duncan house player and turn him into an actual toad, but calmed himself down before he did anything rash and stupid. Leave Minwoo alone? Pfff never! Donghyun once again reminded himself that he would never let Minwoo get hurt or leave him alone. Shaking the thoughts off his back, he returned to his seat at the Orion table. Minwoo was still resting his head on the table, facing away from the quadruple who was still yapping away about team trials.

The prefect began to feel really sorry for the young boy. He seemed like he was lonely and dejected since he could not relate to the conversation constantly going on between them. Donghyun knew too well that the trials this time were definitely out for the freshman for now, and after the incident last night, not ever. He was about to open his mouth to start talking to Minwoo when he heard the headmaster clear his throat. The noisy chattering died down in seconds, the entire hall now silenced, waiting for K. Will to continue.

“Dinnertime is now over. Everyone should have been informed of the new rules by now. If not, you may approach any prefect for clarifications. We do not want to catch anyone outside the main buildings after you are dismissed. Everyone be in their dorms by 10 pm. Is that clear?” The stern voice emphasised the last 3 words, making Minwoo flinch a little, since he has never seen the strict side of Mr. Kim.

Mummers of “Yes Sir” could be heard all around the room.

“Good. You all may now be dismissed.”

At that sentence almost everybody stood up quickly and streamed quickly out of the main hall’s huge double wooden doors. Many of the students dared not fool around as they normally would after hearing about the incident last night. In fact almost everyone headed straight back to their dorms. Jeongmin and Hyunseong were walking slightly in front, smiling as they couldn’t wait for tomorrow to come. The twins, Donghyun and MInwoo walked slightly behind, MInwoo still keeping his head down as the prefect looked on sadly, not knowing what to say. Kwangmin and already thought about which position he wanted, and so did his blonde twin. After saying their goodnights, everyone retreated into their dorms in pairs.

Once Minwoo got into the dorm, he collapsed on his bed and lay on his stomach, face half buried in the pillow. Donghyun then took the chance to start talking.

“Minwoo ah, you didn’t eat much during dinner and you seem upset. Is something wrong?’

The young boy simply shook his head. “It’s nothing hyung..” his voice slightly muffled by the pillow.

“Oh, come on..I know something up! Don’t give me the frowny face~” Donghyun whined playfully and poked at the maknae, trying to cheer him up with a smile as he sat on the bed beside the younger. However, the smile faded once the small boy looked up and there were tears glazing his eyes.

“Hyung...tell me honestly..Do you think I’ll soon become a burden for you, the other hyungs, Youngmin and Kwangmin?” his lip quivered, tears threatening to fall from his eyes.

The elder was taken aback. “Why would you think that, Minwoo?” he asked gently, trying not to push the young boy. “Because all of you will be busy with team trials and i can see that Jeongmin and Hyunseong hyung want it very badly. Same with Youngmin and Kwangmin...And all of you taking care of me would just put extra burden on all of you because I’m useless and I can’t fight and I can’t even defend myself….” he paused to sniff, trying to keep his tears under control. “And once all of you are busy training I...I’m scared..what if i meet Taemin hyung alone or…”

He cut off from a gentle hug from Donghyun. He closed his eyes and snuggled slightly in the warm embrace. “Minwoo ah, don’t say that about yourself please...I can promise you on behalf of all of us that you’re not a burden. No matter how busy we are, we’re definitely not going to let of those jerks from SHINee get to you.” He felt the younger nod and he reluctantly broke the hug, kneeling down to match eye level with the boy.

“Tell you what, why not during trials you come on down to the field to cheer them on? Don’t worry I’ll be sitting with you since I don’t need to do trials” Minwoo looked up, a cute smile forming on his lips. Donghyun swear he could’ve died right there and then with that smile.

“Jinjja? Really hyung? Can I?” Minwoo’s eyes sparkled both hope and relief that he wouldn’t be left alone to defend for himself.The prefect laughed and ruffled the younger’s hair. “Neh. really.”

“Thank you hyung…” Donghyun smiled back before he turned to the nightstand beside his bed. He saw a silver container with many packets of snacks packed neatly together. It must be the soup. Sunny noona always spoils him with too many snacks. At least now he had Minwoo to share them with.

Donghyun went over to grab the container and poured some soup into a cup provided. The savoury delicious aroma filled the room. He then brought it to his dongsaeng laying on the bed.

“Minwoo ah, you didn’t eat much so i asked the head chef to cook some soup for you. She sent some of her special healing soup to help you recover faster. You should drink it. You need the strength for classes tomorrow.”

The younger, slowly sat up, wincing slightly with the pain in his back. He gratefully took the cup of warm soup from the elder’s hands. “Smells good hyung..” he said softly, before taking a sip. The flavour spread all across his tongue, it was delicious. “Mmm it’s really good hyung..I haven’t tasted a soup this good ever since my Halmeoni last cooked..” his voice trailed off a little. Donghyun was worried he may stir up negative feelings once again. But the younger just quickly shrugged it off and finished the soup, thanking the prefect as he handed the cup back and once again lay on his stomach.

The prefect smiled sadly as he placed the container back on the nightstand. Donghyun sat beside the younger, noticing how tired his dongsaeng looked, and maybe just a slight whimper of pain.

“Minwoo..I’m going to help you numb your back with a water spell okay?”

Receiving a nod from the younger, Donghyun began chanting a spell and soon the waterball beneath his hands appeared. He moved it gently and slowly across his dongsaeng’s back, not wanting to hurt him. He could visibly see the younger relaxing slowly. He carefully continued the treatment for about 10 minutes before he stopped. He was about to ask Minwoo if he was feeling better when he saw that Minwoo had fallen fast asleep, breathing softly, snuggled into his pillow.

Donghyun chuckled as he watched the cute boy resting on the bed. In that moment, for the first time in a long while, he actually felt like a true hyung taking care of his baby brother. This closeness to Minwoo didn’t feel awkward at all, but instead it felt right. Running his fingers gently through the sleeping boy’s soft brown hair, he pulled the covers over Minwoo and turned off the lights near his bed.

“Goodnight, sweet dreams Minwoo ah…” And with that he got up, stretching and yawning.

He should turn in for the night too.

 

__________________________________________________________________________

Morning came once again as both Minwoo and Donghyun were awoken by the birds pecking at their window.  Minwoo was in a bit of a rush since he did not pack his bag the night before, but with Donghyun’s help he managed to get all his things in place. The freshman had felt much better and stronger after drinking the sup and having a good night’s rest. However, the elder was still a little concerned about which lessons his mentee could do.

“Remember, if you feel faint or weak suddenly stop and tell the professor your powers are still in poor condition neh? I don’t want to receive a message saying you pass out in spells class because you over exerted yourself.” The prefect nagged as he handed MInwoo his bag of books for the day.

MInwoo couldn’t help but grin in amusement at how motherly Donghyun was. “Neh, don’t worry hyung. Youngmin and Kwangmin won’t let me anyway..”

“Arrasseo. Come on, let’s go downstairs.” Donghyun led the way out, locking the dorm door behind him. The duo made small talk as they made their way down the long staircases and soon emerged out into the big open field, the SMA arena looming over them, creating a huge long shadow against the morning sun. In the distance, a crowd of students can be seen gathered around the notice boards, or more precisely, the Orion house notice board. Many students in yellow badges were queuing up, chattering endlessly as they waited for their turn to sign up. Students from other houses stood on the sidelines, watching as the name list for each team position grew longer and longer.

As they approached closer, Minwoo could now clearly see how pumped up Orion house was for the tryouts. Each list was filled with so many names that Minwoo couldn’t count. What surprised him the most, was that even the position of the seeker, which only Year 6 students and above could sign up for, had the most names.

“Morning Minwoo! How are you feeling?” Even without turning around, the young boy already knew that voice, as the blonde twin skipped over and slung an arm around him. “Hi hyung! I’m feeling much better. Gomawo..”

Jeongmin and Hyunseong soon came over too, greeting both Donghyun and Minwoo. “Where’s Kwangmin?” asked Donghyun.

“Oh. Right there.” Youngmin pointed to the dark haired twin standing in front of the sign up sheet for the position of Stealther. He raised, his hand and stamped his ring maintainer on the parchment, and almost immediately the name “Jo Kwangmin” was added to the long list.

“There are sure much more people than I expected..” commented Donghyun, eyes scanning the lists and the crowd of Orion students. “Which position did you guys sign up for?”

“Jeongmin went for midfield. I’m going to try for the defender.” Hyunseong grinned, clasping both his hands together. “I pray we’re good enough to get in! There’s so many people”

“Attacker!” piped Youngmin, his face practically glowing. Kwangmin soon joined the group. “If all of us get the positions we want won’t that be cool? We can all fight Hengeyokai together and be on the same team and- OW!” He was nudged sharply by Kwangmin, who quietly shushed him and turned his gaze on Minwoo, who had taken a couple of steps back from the group and was now gazing at the stone structure arena, eyes slightly downcast and glazed over.

Youngmin, suddenly feeling guilt hit him full force, ceased his rambling and bit his bottom lip, desperately trying to think of something to comfort their maknae. Hyunseong, who felt his heart soften at the sight, stepped forward and placed a gentle hand on Minwoo’s shoulder, turning him around.

“Minwoo ah! You’ll be there to cheer us on right? It’ll be great if you can be there so we can perform better!”

The young boy smiled weakly. “Yeah..Of course hyung..” There was a moment of awkward silence before he continued. “I..I think I better get to class now. I have a lot to catch up on..See you later for dinner assembly hyungs” With that, the freshman gave one final smile before turning and walked slowly towards the main building.

Kwangmin said a quick goodbye to the rest before hurrying to catch up with Minwoo, not wanting to leave him alone just in case. The 3 prefects, as well as Youngmin, were left standing in the field as they watched the figures of Minwoo and Kwangmin get smaller.

“Youngmin ah..I know you’re excited about trials for the team and fighting Hengeyokai, but you should also be sensitive to Minwoo’s feelings. He did only tell us recently about his backstory, and may not have gotten over the shock of 2 nights ago. He’s also feeling left out as all of us but him are going to go for the team.” Jeongmin gently explained to the guilt-striken blonde twin.

“Neh, hyung..I’ll make it up to Minwoo later..” Youngmin muttered. He picked up his bag and waving goodbye to his hyungs, he walked quickly towards class, not wanting to be late as well.

Nearby, a figure wrapped in a cape, back turned hiding his face had heard everything of the conversation between the 6 Orion boys. He smirked, his fingers playing lightly with the black badge pinned on his uniform.

“I knew it...No Minwoo, you better watch out…”

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

A/N: Hey~ As you can see I have decided to put up another chapter so that you guys don't have to wait so long for my update. But this is really the last chapter I am going to write before going on a 2/3 month hiatus because of manjor national exams. I hope you enjoy the story so far and thank you to all subscribers for bearing with me! Comments are gladly welcomed!