SMA Chapter 4

Starship Magic Academy

Minwoo stared at the big building in front of him that looked like a castle that came out of some sort of fairy tale. The whole place was made out of cobble stones and bricks and gave it a very ancient look, especially in the setting sun. To add to that the walls of the said place were decorated with rose vines, and combined with the chilly breeze of the late evening, brought out a mystic feeling to the place. The front yard was vast and filled with beautiful flowers and noisily grouped students. The chattering students holding lanterns slowly made their way towards 2 open giant wooden doors, their shoes making scrapeing noises as they shuffled against the rocky path. However, Minwoo was far from the eloquote architecture as he stood all alone beside the gates with a lost expression, to afraid to approach the school. Above him loomed the school crest with its name proudly twisted in iron letters, lit up by the lamp posts that lined the path leading from the gates to the entrance.

 

Everyone seemed to be going in and reuniting with their old friends. There were students all wearing the same blazers and trousers or skirts with their capes fluttering because of sudden movements. Minwoo looked at himself and saw the big difference and felt depressed. He felt like he was the odd one out of all the other students. Many students who passed through the gates gave Minwoo an odd look before strolling in and completely ignoring the poor boy. This day really was the worst day for Minwoo.

 

As Minwoo was contemplating to either walk in with his head hung low or walk back towards the train and forget all about this academy he was interrupted.

 

"Annyeong! My name is Hyunseong and I am a perfect from Year 3. Are you lost?" Minwoo was asked by a tall boy that had dark hair, fairly broad shoulders and a kind smile.

 

Minwoo tried to give a smile back to older hyung that was trying to help him but he just couldn't. His doll like face stayed stoic with a hard expression that didn't seem all too friendly. He wanted to answer but his heart felt otherwise and locked by the incident that occurred not too long ago. So, Minwoo was stuck to nod his head yes.

 

Hyunseong nevertheless gave him a smile in return. "I see, we can figure out which dorm you are going to be staying at with the help of my friend." Then Hyunseong went towards a big group of students wearing ties and alongside him he brought back a boy shorter than him. Who had a bright expression and a clip board on his hands.

 

"Hello! My name is Jeongmin,Year 2. Welcome to Starship Magic Academy." the said boy cheerfully told Minwoo and gave him a very bright smile. Minwoo gave him a nod as well but the boy’s smile stayed bright "You must be one of our new freshmen! Oh, I need your name and your maintainer to be able to help you to find your dorm!" he explained and.put out his clipboard.

 

Minwoo looked at the clipboard and noticed that it wasn’t any ordinary clipboard. There was actually a place for you to stamp your ring on the paper. The place was shaped like a stamp that are used on parchment and looked like wax but the colour was black and to its left was a blank white space on the sheet of paper. He really didn't know just how stamping his ring inside it would help them know if he was enrolled in this school.  Minwoo carefully raised his left hand and stamped his so called maintainer into the space provides. He watched as the stamp thing glowed and then suddenly like magic letters started to appear by itself on the white space in the paper. There in the paper written in black ink was his full name and information about him. Minwoo was amazed but his face showed no such expression.

 

"Oh, No Minwoo a freshmen. Hmm... It says here that you are a new born to magic and thus shall have a more senior prefect, Donghyun hyung to guide you." Jeongmin read as he looked at the paper then to Hyunseong. “Hyunseong hyung, we need to call hyung. Can you go-"

A person suddenly appeared out of thin air, giving Minwoo a big shock. The guy was wearing a similar uniform as Hyunseong and Jeongmin but he looked different in it. His appearance gave out a more mature, elegant and smart sense and also an apologetic look towards the frightened Minwoo. "Uh, don't worry about calling me I am here," he told the duo that just smiled and waved goodbye to go help other students in need. Minwoo gave a thankful smile towards them and then looked at the supposed guide of his for the day. "Uh...so sorry about startling you earlier. My name is Donghyun. I am from year 7 and if you can tell, one of the perfects of the school, who also happens to be your guide for the day." He introduced himself to the still stone expressioned Minwoo with a smile.

 

Minwoo gave him a bow in acknowledgement and said his name and that was all. He didn't give a smile, he didn't sound cheery and his eyes looked lost and lonely.

 

“Come along now, the headmaster is expecting you.” This made Minwoo surprised but he kept mum, not wanting to ask any questions. He then followed Donghyun to the headmaster's and they walked all the way there instead of using magic because Minwoo wasn't comfortable with it. They passed a long hallway that was decorated with blue and red flowers, a few adults carrying stacks of paper hurried by. Then they went up a few long stairways and up a spiral stone stairs that finally led to their destination.

 

Donghyun informed Mrs Jung about Minwoo, who then proceeded to knock on the doors. “Come in!” a man’s voice called out. Then the doors opened without anyone pulling or pushing it. Minwoo looked at Donghyun questioningly for further directions because he didn't know if he had to go in or not. Donghyun motioned for him to go in and with hesitation Minwoo stepped into the room with a very ancient feeling. The room was decorated with light brown, white golden and metallic colours all around but it was too dark to notice any other colour visible becauses of the poor service the little amount of candles were giving. There were stacks of books in high shelves and the place seemed dusty in ones eyes. And placed in one side of the room was a desk, a young man was situated behind it and his eyes followed Minwoo as he slowly approached the desk. He gave a very fatherly smile to the hesitant boy from his seat.

 

"No Minwoo may I presume, I see you have come early as we have asked you to do so." The man said and motioned for Minwoo to sit. "I am the school's headmaster and I presume that you already know this and that I have called you here to talk about your scholarship. I know you and your Halmeoni must have been shocked to hear about getting the invitation even before learning about your magic powers. Having magic powers suddenly isn't the best experience and if you want Minwoo I will always be here to help you or be there to talk to you. I don't know if you will find experience in SMA to be fun but there will be many opportunities given for you to learn about magic and the control of it."

 

Minwoo listened attentively and nodded his head in acknowledgement to the headmaster. Though deep inside he felt disordered and out of place. This whole magic power, magic school, and trusting the headmaster seemed to place negatively inside Minwoo's head and heart. He had already agreed that he was going to stay and  have a fresh start at this school. However, his biggest fear and the one thing he hated had become a combination to this whole new start. Would he really be able to do this and actually embrace magic?

 

"Minwoo? What's wrong? You don't seem that happy about this whole thing." The headmaster stated as his face became concerned. Minwoo shook his head in denial and whispered a soft 'mianhae'. "I see..."

 

To avoid this whole topic Minwoo finally spoke and asked a question but his voice still was expressionless and soft. "Umm... where will I have to go to get my uniform and my dorm number?” He didn't look directly towards the headmaster but hearing him talking was enough to make the headmaster smile. "Don't worry about that! You will be sharing a room with Donghyun and I have already prepared your bed and school necessities. Any other questions? If not Donghyun would show you to your dorm and you should probably get ready for dinner in the main hall."

Minwoo nodded and he got up to leave,”Thank You Mr……..".

"Mr. Kim. But there’s no need to be so formal. You can call me K.Will hyung." The older of the two answered softly.

Minwoo bowed to the headmaster and then silently said, "Thank you K.Will hyung. Annyeong." He then left the semi dark and dusty room leaving the headmaster to himself.

A smile was formed on the older like an older brother or father would have to hear his young child say his name. "I hope you will remember me soon, Minwoo." He said softly while watching the back view of the two students disappear.

 

________________________________________________________

 

 

Minwoo was walking through the different hallways while looking through the different classrooms or outside watching the many students flying together on their broom sticks. Donghyun had been silently leading Minwoo to their shared room and Minwoo trailing behind him. There was a silence between them that neither of them had bothered to break. That was until Minwoo noticed something whizzing past at high speed. Looking out of the window, he realised that a fight was happening outside a huge dome structure and stopped.

What are they doing?" He asked the oblivious still walking Donghyun that stopped in his tracks to stare at Minwoo's question's objective. "Why are they allowing them to fight outside?"

Donghyun looked at Minwoo that had finally shown a different expression than his blank one and smiled. "Them, they are actually you could say practicing or training a game with each other. The objective of the game is to try to not get hit by the other teams magic. You will learn more about these type of games from your broom flying lessons" He explained to Minwoo. "In fact, do you see the one with front bangs and long hair with the dark blue badge?” Minwoo nodded. “Well, that's my sister Hyorin and the other one with the same badge that looks like she is having the blast of her life is her partner Bora.”

“Who are the other 2?”

“The one that has short hair and wearing a tie, her name is Dasom and the one with longer light brown hair that looks tough her name is Soyou. Both of them would probably be teachers for freshmen. They are all your noonas by the way." He said and Minwoo nodded and they continued to walk after watching the girls train together. Minwoo afterwards would ask questions and Donghyun would answer him. He didn't smile or laugh and express himself more positively but he tried his best to talk to Donghyun and the prefect found that cute.

Once the huge stone dome and the girls were out of sight, Donghyun turned and led Minwoo into another wing of the castle, this time with the outside scenery being mostly nature. There were green lush trees as far as the eye can see. It had to be a forest of some kind. Soon the corridor divided up into 4 different staircases, each one had a sign clearly stating a name and a symbol. Donghyun went up the staircase which had the name “Orion”, with its symbol yellow in colour with a crossbow on it.

They finally reached their shared room numbered 208 and Minwoo was glad because they had been walking for a while since the academy was huge. Donghyun took out his key from inside of his blazer and opened the door. As Minwoo was about to step into the room there was a voice that stopped him.

"Excuse me, but can we talk to you?" The person said and Minwoo turned around and to his surprise he found two identical students in front of him. Two humans that looked the same but had different hair colours, one blonde one brunette. The one with the lighter blonde hair was talking. "Annyeong! We are Jo Youngmin and Jo Kwangmin, and we stay in the dorm right across you"  He said and then intently looking at Minwoo, he asked, "Are you by any chance No Minwoo?"


Minwoo froze. How did the twins know who he was?

 

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------