SMA Chapter 6

Starship Magic Academy

"Yah! Who the hell do you think you are? Can't you watch where you're going?!"

 

The whole place became quiet at the sound of the shrill voice. The students all stopped their chattering and turned their heads to the source of the noise. It didn't take long for them to figure out who had shouted as the person stood out like a tomato in a box with blueberries. He was tall, dark haired, rough faced. His uniform looked brand new and with a black badge pinned proudly on his blazer. Minwoo noted him as one of those students who were sitting in the far corner and rolling their eyes at everything before. There was an icy glare on his eyes that traveled straight towards Minwoo. It was a glare that could freeze anyone with just one look and it was working on the freshman still on the ground. Behind the unfriendly looking student were 4 other wizards who also had that black badge but looked older, and looked down on Minwoo with the same disgust.

 

Minwoo immediately lowered his head in fear and muttered a soft apology despite being the one that was harshly bumped onto the floor. He lay there not knowing if he should stand up and run away or start crying.

 

"Do you really think a "sorry" would cut it out! Well I don't think so! Do you even know who you just clumsily bumped into, idiot?! " The boy with the golden-tinted hair spoke up from behind.

 

Minwoo didn't dare talk back or raise his head up, not trusting himself to answer the question. He was scared, embarrassed and felt like crying. The thought of happiness gone in a second as fear took over. He could see through his tear-glazed eyes that many other students had gathered round, some wearing shocked expressions while others held fear and sympathy.  It was one disaster after another these days and it was weighing him down really badly. This bad omen was washing the existence out of him.

 

Frustrated with the silence from the younger boy, the fierce looking student yanked Minwoo by his collar. “I am Lee Taemin from the group SHINee in this school, and more importantly, Duncan house. You better make sure you get that into your hollow brain! Also, stop staring at me with those ugly eyes. I know you’re cursing at me internally but man up and freaking do it out loud on your own. Your such a fuc-“

 

"Shut up!!! Let him go!!!" Youngmin suddenly yelled at him and gave an icy glare his way. Taemin gave a threatening glare at the blonde while he roughly dropped Minwoo to the ground without care.

 

“There. Happy?” He said with extreme sarcasm while turning to face Youngmin, who by now was glowing red with anger. “And you.” He jabbed Youngmin sharply in the chest. “I’ve heard about you. Jo Youngmin right? You and your twin might be one of those rich gifted and trained wizards but ultimately you, your twin and your pathetic friend here are still freshmen in this school. So show some respect to your sunbaes!”

 

Just as Youngmin was about to scream back at Taemin he was stopped by his twin’s hand being placed on his shoulder. “That’s enough… We shouldn’t create any more trouble” Kwangmin said quietly. Then he turned around to look at Minwoo on the floor whose eyes were threatening to water. “Minwoo are you alright? Let’s get out of here.” He said in a calm voice.

 

Minwoo looked up to see that Kwangmin was holding out a hand to help him up. He also saw that Youngmin was still giving death glares to the 5 students, especially Taemin, and muttering something under his breath. He gratefully grasped at the hand reached out to him with subtle force and got up. A vivid feeling of gratitude filled his heart as he looked at the twins, his lost-lost childhood and now maybe present best friends. He gave them a thankful smile before turning to Taemin who hasn't stopped glaring lasers at him. It was at this point where Hyunseong and Jeongmin, who were watching from the sidelines with shock, stepped up from behind their dongsaengs.

 

“You guys are seriously pissing me off! Like it was just a little bump and it wasn’t even you that got hurt. I could have booked you for bullying, Taemin. And you know the rules here! So let it be and forget this ever happened.” Hyunseong said with a firm voice and beside him was Jeongmin nodding his head in agreement. He then directed his gaze towards 2 of the students standing behind; one with the golden hair and the other with multi-coloured highlights.

 

“Kim Jonghyun and Kim Kibum. Who said you could colour your hair? It is against the dress code. Dye it back immediately or you will get booked until you receive detention.”

 

The 2 guys supposedly known as Jonghyun and Kibum came upfront and scoffed at Hyunseong. “I don’t think you have any right to interfere with an issue between Taemin and that stupid newbie called Minwoo. And who are you to care about our hair anyway?”

 

Kibum looked Hyunseong up and down with a sneer while ruffling his multi-coloured hair. “You, Shim Hyunseong, are one of those perfects, the stupid teacher’s pets that can’t do anything. You’re not in even in Orion house team! Hmmf go mind your own business you lowlife.”

 

“At least Hyunseong hyung has a brain. You obviously don’t, because it seems your only instinct is violence, nothing else…” snapped Youngmin, who had his arm around Minwoo’s shoulders.

 

“What did you just say?!” The Jonghyun plus the rest of the gang roared at Youngmin.

 

“Youngmin, don’t bother. They’re not worth it!” Jeongmin said sternly but Youngmin didn’t oblige. He only gave SHINee a cheeky, mocking smile.

 

“I stated that all of you guys are idiots, whether or not you’re sunbaes. I don’t respect sunbaes who don’t respect me or anyone close to me.” Youngmin was mocking the sarcasm Taemin used earlier, “Did I say something wrong? You guys are tough, aren’t you? Why are you only losing your temper? Don’t you have something better?”

 

Gasps and whispers could be heard from the surrounding crowd, students very surprised that a freshmen dared to speak in that way to the toughest gang in SMA.

 

All of Taemin’s patience seemed to have broke at that point. The ring on his finger started to glow a bright orange and he raised his hands towards Youngmin. “I’ve had it with you!!! You -,”

 

However, before anything could happen, Donghyun and another girl came into the scene and stopped both sides. “Okay, stop it the both of you!”

He said aloud and game a stern glare to Youngmin. “I don’t think it’s a good idea to battle outside the main hall. And Lee Taemin! You are not to abuse your powers when it is not necessary!”

 

“Move out of the way Donghyun, it’s not like we are as pathetic as you.”  The tallest, broad guy said as the friends beside him laughed. “We are perfectly capable of taking care of our teammates and not get them killed, unlike you.”

 

This made Donghyun tense up, his eyes flashing just a slight hint of sadness and fear before he regained his composure and glared intensely at the smirking towering student.

 

 

“I recommend that you stop yapping with that froggy lips, Choi Minho, and get out of this place.” The girl hissed. Minwoo then recognised her as one of the girls battling outside earlier. “Also, Hyunseong and Jeongmin, take the twins plus Minwoo back to their dorms, and i recommend you don’t come out again. It’s almost 10pm.”

 

“Thanks Bora.” Donghyun looked at Hyunseong and Jeongmin. “Well, go on. I’ll be there when I’m done.”

 

The 2 prefects nodded and obediently began to usher the 3 Orion freshmen away from the scene towards the corridor leading to the dorms, not forgetting to turn around to give SHINee the fiercest glare they could.

 

However, before leaving the scene Minwoo bowed 90 degrees to the group of people in front of him. "I am sorry that I happened to bump into you and caused you trouble. I will make sure to not trouble you again." He apologized sincerely but instead of an acceptance, he was sneered at by the group.

 

Many of the onlookers gave Minwoo sympathetic eyes, while Donghyun smiled sadly, feeling his heart go out to his youngest dongsaeng he was assigned to take care of.

 

Minwoo couldn't and wouldn't do anything about it as he kept his head hung low and left for his dorm. All of them had decided to wait in Minwoo and Donghyun’s room for the oldest hyung to return, probably trying to wrap things up with the SHINee gang, or maybe handing out punishments.

 

“I can’t believe that team Duncan had the nerve to freaking blame you like that!” Youngmin was complaining to Minwoo.

 

“It’s like they did it on purpose so that they could pick on you! And I bet you haven’t even met them before!” He cried out. “I swear if I had the power I would totally kick their puny butts till they begged for forgiveness.”

 

“They do seem to know quite a bit about everyone though…” Kwangmin muttered, deep in thought. “He did know who we were, hyung. I won’t be surprised if they suddenly research and find out tons about Minwoo, now that they’ve had this encounter.”

 

“Yea, it would be nice to teach them about manners.” Jeongmin stated. “But the 5 of them have always been like this. Lee Onew, Kim Jonghyun, Kim Kibum, Choi Minho and Lee Taemin, deemed the ‘best Duncan team’, that’s why they’re so popular within their own house. They’ve been winning the games 3 years in a row now. They pick on freshmen and because of their outstanding powers nobody likes to mess with them. What you did back there was quite foolish, Youngmin. You and many others could have gotten severely injured.”

 

“We have seriously tried to help anyone that gets in trouble with them but even they are too afraid to speak up. That’s why now they think they’re superior. Only Mr. Kim and a few teachers can control them.” Hyunseong sighed, “at least Minwoo didn't get hurt...”

 

Minwoo’s mind was a blank because of the incident that had happened before. He had never thought on the first day of school he would be the reason for a fight. Those people didn't seem good at all and it was better to avoid them at all costs. He’d take anything else rather than running into them again.

 

Then the wooden polished door to the room opened to show an unhappy Donghyun. He walked in while pulling at his tie with an agitated sigh. “I tried my best to defend you guys. But all of them as usual refused to accept any punishment slips. They burned them the moment i handed them out.” He said as he looked at Minwoo. “I know you did no wrong and truthfully I really feel sorry because I was right there and couldn't prevent it from happening.”

 

“It wasn't only you Donghyun,” Hyunseong said, “I also felt useless because I was right there and I couldn't do anything too.”

 

“Those Duncans are always getting on my nerves.” Jeongmin said, “They always pick on the weak and never seem to get in any real trouble. Plus, they look down on perfects! I mean come on, they should be expelled by now but as we all know, they do have the power to defend this academy.”

 

Minwoo and the twins listened carefully, letting the information sink into their minds. Minwoo had a bad feeling about this whole thing. He looked around at the hyungs and his twin friends in his room that had a similar face as his. Worry was etched in them all as they talked about the little incident.

 

“Let’s just let this incident go...” Minwoo said softly to the others in the room. “It was an accident and it shouldn’t be something that brings us down so much. Tomorrow is the first day of school so hurry up and go to sleep. Hopefully I won’t bump into them anytime soon.”

 

Minwoo gave them a big smile and like dominos everyone was affected by the sweet feeling he was giving. They all smiled and finally everyone left saying their goodnights and agreeing to meet for breakfast before classes start.

 

Minwoo heaved a heavy sigh as he was now all alone. Donghyun had gone to change inside of the washroom, leaving him spacing out while sitting on his bed, clutching a pillow close. Remembering he had not unpacked his stuff, he opened his suitcase lying nearby and opened it. Taking out a few sets of clothes, he proceeded to put them into the wardrobe, where his class schedule was pinned up together with Donghyun’s. Minwoo took note of the school rule handbook in the drawer, as well as the different uniforms. There was the one he was currently wearing, and there was another type of shirt with the Orion house flag on it with a few sets of shorts. His cape hung from a hook at the side.

 

One thing that definitely stood out was the broomstick carefully wrapped in paper leaning against the side of the cupboard. Minwoo picked it up and examined it. “Flying to Seek...” he read the words imprinted on the side of the broomstick. He had no idea what it meant but didn’t really bother about it yet.

 

Tidying up the rest of his belongings, he came across an old photograph of his appa and umma, as well as his Halmeoni. The young freshman was once again reminded of sad memories and he felt a wave of nostalgia wash over him. His eyes began to cloud with tears the longer he gazed at the picture. Slowly, he sat on his bed, letting his thoughts be said aloud.

 

 

“Umma...appa...halmoni…. I miss you so much. Today was a hectic day and I had some trouble. It wasn’t the best but I was glad that at least I had friends and hyungs that stuck up for me.  Your Minwoo is going to try really hard to keep these friends and not try to be a burden anymore. I would keep fighting, I promise...I’ll make you proud...” The young boy said softly, voice slightly cracking due to him trying to hold in tears.


 

What he did not know was that Donghyun had been about to come out of the washroom, and he overheard everything Minwoo was saying. Out of curiosity, he peeked from behind the bathroom door, and saw Minwoo gazing sadly at what looked like a photo. Donghyun pitied the younger, and guessed that he must have some problems with his family situation. And at that point, he knew had  to do more than just to guide Minwoo through the year at SMA, but also be there for him whenever he needed someone to comfort him. It was then Minwoo wasn’t just a dongsaeng to the Year 7 student anymore. He was a little brother he was now swearing to protect. And he knew a long, challenging school year was about to begin...

 

_______________________________________________________________________________

 

A/N: Sorry if this took too long to update! We both were busy and we'll try to get the next chapter up soon ^^ Hope you like it so far!~

 

Ppyong!