SMA Chapter 11

Starship Magic Academy

The bell signaling the end of classes rang throughout the school and students cheerfully streamed from their respective classrooms, chattering away non stop now that they had free time until dinner. Some of the older students made their way to the main hall for tea and study session, carrying stacks of books and homework, trying to avoid being knocked over by the crowd of students bustling in the corridors, trying to make their way either to the dorms, garden or field. Teachers and professors trudged up to the staff rooms, tired but relieved that lessons were over. Donghyun stepped out of Fortune-reading class, probably the easiest class as the students normally passed it easily by telling the professor some nonsense when they were asked to read someone's fortune. But as ridiculous as it is, the prefect found his last class quite enjoyable. He had been asked to read Duncan house team captain, Onew's fortune and he announced to the class that Onew was going to transform into a toad very soon, sending the class into a fit of laughter and of course Onew (or Lee Jinki) into a rage. Luckily he managed to escape his death glare and his wrath by slipping out of class fast and disappearing amongst the crowd.

The prefect smiled at the humorous thought, but it slowly faded when he realised he was heading up to Mr. Kim's office. The weight of telling the headmaster seemed to increase ten fold with each step he took up to the highest tower. Donghyun sighed heavily as he reach the top, and was met with Mrs Jung sitting at her usual seat at her desk outside the large double doors to Mr. Kim's office. She had been shuffling through some official looking sheafs of parchment paper when she noticed Donghyun's presence.

Nudging her reading glasses up her nose, she gave Donghyun a polite smile. "Oh hello dear!" She was familiar with Donghyun, since he was one of the senior prefects who delivered messages to and from the important staff in the academy. Ever since she had first met Donghyun in his third year she had take an instant liking to his mature mindset and very good manners. 

"Good afternoon Mrs Jung. I'm here to see Mr. Kim. Does he happen to be in his office?"

"Yes he's in there. I'll let him know you're here." She stood up and opened one of the doors slightly, slipping into the dim room on the other side. Donghyun swallowed nervously and fiddled with his tie and badge, shifting his weight form one foot to the other. He was still contemplating in his mind about what he was going to see and how he was going to say it.

"Okay..remmeber Kim Donghyun..just go straight to the point...but of course be polite about it..." he muttered to himself under his breath, trying to calm his racing heartbeat. Just as he was about to recite what he was going to say, Mrs Jung stepped out of the room and help open the door for him. 

"He says its alright. Go on in."

The prefect took a deep shaky breath and thanked Mrs Jung before walking into the dimly room. Mr. Kim chose candles over light bulbs as always. The familiar musty smell of old books filled his nose, but was all too well used to it. He couldn't even count the number of times he had already been in this office. There in its usual spot on the far end of the room was the long desk with stacks of paper and behind it was Mr. Kim sitting back on his chair, he seemed to be reading a letter.

Donghyun made his way across the room and stopped before the desk.

"Afternoon Mr. Kim." He greeted, bowing as he spoke. The headmaster looked up and nodded to acknowledged his presence, sitting up and tucking the letter neatly under the desk.

"Hello Donghyun. Have a seat." he gestured to one of the chairs opposite him, and the prefect did as he was told. He shifted uncomfortably and looked up at K. Will.

"Well then, what brings you here today?" the headmaster asked, arms folded casually. That was one of the main reasons why Donghyun really likes Mr. Kim. He wasn't all formal with the need to use overly-polite language; he preferred to have a style which was more casual and let Donghyun seemed more at ease talking to him.

"Well..I...I....umm..." The Year 7 student mentally slapped himself. What happened to keeping calm and going straight to the point? He decided to just blurt it out. The words came faster than his mind could think it.

"I was wondering if you can replace Minwoo's mentor with someone else..."

Silence filled the room and Mr. Kim's eyes widened slightly. He leaned forward until his elbows rested on the table, eyes never leaving the boy in front of him. They were filled with confusion and a slight worry, eyebrow furrowing.

"I see, but mind telling me why? Did something happen between the 2 of you?"

"No! Nothing of that sort. Minwoo would never pick a fight." The prefect shook his head. "I...I just felt that I'm not the right person who can protect Minwoo, especially when he was attacked yesterday. I couldn't do anything as a mentor, I could've prevented Minwoo from being injured so badly but I didn't....and what if I freeze up like that again...Minwoo might-" his rambling was interrupted by K. Will raising an hand to stop him.

"Donghyun, what happened last night was an accident. Minwoo just was at the wrong place at the wrong time. Besides, he wasn't even outdoors or in an unsafe place. The Hengeyokai somehow had managed to breach the school compound's security. Extra measures will be put in place, and I'm sure Minwoo doesn't blame you at all for what happened."

Donghyun calmed down a little upon hearing the headmaster's words, but still was fidgeting with his fingers. "But honestly, I really think Minwoo needs a better mentor because he's a newborn to magic and-"

"That's why you're his mentor." K. Will cut him off once again. "There was much consideration about assigning Minwoo's mentor, especially when he had no idea of the capability his powers" The older man stood up and walked around the side of the table to stand beside Donghyun. "The reason why I chose you was I trust you will do a good job. And maybe you dont know, but both of you have somewhat a similar past."

This made the prefect tense up. The realisation hit him that it was true; Minwoo had lost his family and Donghyun his best friend. Minwoo had no idea about Yunho though.

K. Will placed a comforting hand on his shoulder. "What happened was merely a setback, don't blame yourself for it. I'm sure you and Minwoo can grow closer over time. Right now, I need you to concentrate on helping Minwoo recover as fast as possible. It's really not good for freshman to miss important lessons like Dark Magic and Broomstick Flying."

The prefect smiled gratefully at the headmaster, feeling that a huge burden had been lifted off his shoulders. Not only did K. Will listen patiently and didn't take away his tie, he also encouraged him, helping him build up the confidence once again of being a good mentor. "Kamsahamnida Mr. Kim"

K. Will smiled in relief that he had finally gotten through to the senior prefect. He returned to his seat across Donghyun. "No problem. Now, it's good that you came to see me at the right time. I wanted to discuss something important with you."

He pulled out a large parchment paper and a feather pen, the ink bottle right beside his hand. "It's about time we start planning the trials for your house. Orion is severely short of players now and we definitely need 2 representatives to step up and defend the school." Donghyun sat up immediately after hearing that. This was important. The team captain knew all too well that people needed to recruited and trained as soon as possible, for both defense and the Hengeyokai game.

The headmaster continued. "I'm actually planning to officially announce tryouts at dinner assembly tonight, that's why I'll need you to confirm the positions available for auditions and the requirements, qualifications and rules."

"Team captain is definitely out sir" Donghyun joked which made K. Will chuckle. "As for the other 5 positions we will need 4 players, all very good with spells and very advanced broom flying skills. They should also know how to capture and lock the Hengeyokai away safely. The last position is the seeker, and the most dangerous. Requirements should be all mentioned just now but I think we should limit this position to Year 6 and above. I don't want to risk anyone from the younger levels getting hurt by a real beast."

Scribbling sounds were heard as the feather pen jotted everything Donghyun said down on the paper, except K. Will had the spell to make it write by itself, and was just leaning back on the chair, nodding and thinking about what was being said. The prefect continued.

"As for the judges, there will of course be you, Mr. Kim. I will also be looking out for wizards or witches with great potential. However I would like to request the freshman broom flying teacher and the basic spells teacher of Orion house be allowed there too, although they are not from the same house. Kim Dasom and Kang Soyou, I feel they are honest and trustable and will help us in deciding who is capable of making it into the team."

K. Will smiled approvingly at how well organised and prepared Donghyun was for the tryouts. He indeed made the right choice of putting him as captain. "Excellent. And how will this be carried out?"

"I suggest dividing the tryouts in different stages. Students who pass the first stage can proceed to the second round and so on. Altogether there should be 4 stages with increasing difficulty, so that we can narrow down our selection to the top few. I will make sure to put obstacles requiring every aspect of a team player to overcome, so that everyone will have a chance to boost their strong points."

"Alright. I see you've prepared very well for the tryouts. Well done. I'll have Mrs. Jung prepare the sign up sheets by tomorrow morning, and I'll make the announcement tonight. I think we'll be expecting an overwhelming response." K. Will smiled at Donghyun and nodded approvingly.

Donghyun beamed that he had finally done something right this year at SMA and thanked the headmaster politely, before saying his goodbyes and retreating out of the room. As much as he wanted to stay a little longer to have a chat with Mr. Kim, he felt he needed to go down to study hall to catch up on Magic History. As a prefect he certainly didn't want to flunk another test and risk his status being threatened. Glad that he had lifted the burden of his thoughts, he felt all his energy come back to him as he walked merrily, carrying his books into the main hall. He couldn't wait to see Minwoo again during dinnertime. He now knows how to get closer and be a true mentor to his dongsaeng.

Meanwhile, K. Will passed the parchement paper with all the details to Mrs Jung. Sign up sheets should be ready tomorrow first thing in the morning. He sat back in his leather chair, and turned it so that he was facing out of the window with the view of the SMA battle arena. He could see 6 people in with red badges whizzing around the field outside, practising flips and tricks and speed, while many students were gathered around, watching them train in awe. The Aiden team. The headmaster smiled internally at the thought of his former team when he himself was a student in this academy. Closing his eyes momentarily, he imagined himself once again as team captain of Aiden house, whizzing at top speed around the arena, shouting spells to grab the Hengeyokai and using his fancing slam dunking technique to lock the beast into the goal. He recalled the cheers, arms around his teammates' shoulders as they celebrated their victory together, how in serious times they would sometimes be sent off to fight the real monster. Daesung was his partner; he knew it was the right choice, they had so much in common and the brain combining spell only made their bond stronger. K. Will once again reopened his eyes and smiled slightly to himself. Good times, he thought, good times. He really couldn't wait for the next Hengeyokai to come. He wanted to relive all that in front of his very eyes.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

The afternoon passed relatively quickly. The sun was starting to set, creating long rays of golden sun and streaming through the main hall's windows. Students who were sitting at the tables doing work began to grow conscious of the time and one by one started wrapping up their work for the day. Donghyun looked up from his textbook, and seeing how the chefs were starting to get the students to clear the tables for dinner assembly, he closed his books, gathered his notes and walked briskly out of the main door. He was glad for the productive session, where he had finally managed to memorise the history between Coraline and Dinotopia. The next test would be a breeze for him.

Glancing at his watch, he saw that he had approximately an hour before dinner assembly starts, so he decided to head back to his dorm room to take a quick shower and keep his books. Of course, he was going to get there by teleportation. Within the blink of an eye, he found himself standing outside Orion house room 208. He turned his key in the lock and swung open the door. He stepped in and cloed the door behind him. The room was empty. Minwoo's bag of books and medicine was on his bed though. Maybe the twins had helped him drop off this things here and brought him somewhere else. The prefect felt his heart sank a little at not being able to see the younger right away but immediately pushed it aside. He could always see Minwoo during dinnertime.

Wasting no time, he dumped his heavy books on his bed and headed into the bathroom for a shower. 

He relaxed his tired muscles under the hot spray of the shower, giving him some form of relief after a long hard day of school. He stepped out of the bathroom after getting dressed, making sure he looked presentable, standing in front of the full length mirror. Once he combed his hair and was satisfied with how he looks, he teleported to the main hall.

He noticed he was relatively early, as not many students have come down yet, so it didn’t take long for him to see the familiar twins with Minwoo, still looking a little pale but much better nonetheless. Youngmin was of course laughing loudly and occasionally flipping his blonde hair. Surprisingly, the more introverted Kwangmin too was smiling widely and talking to Minwoo, who joined in the laughter as well. He hesitantly made his way towards the trio. Youngmin saw Donghyun first and flashed a big smile, waving. Minwoo turned around and his eyes met the prefect’s. The younger gave a small polite smile and blushed just a little.

“Hey Minwoo..” Donghyun sat down and carefully put an arm around his shoulder, careful not to touch the bandaged wound. “How are you feeling?”

“I’m fine hyung..Gomawo..” The younger replied gratefully before flashing a cute smile which Donghyun swore he also died from. “Youngmin and Kwangmin brought me around the school today! It’s so big though...and I’m tired…”

“Dinner will be soon!” The prefect laughed and ruffled the younger’s hair. He was more than elated to see Minwoo happy and smiling despite the traumatizing incident last night.

Not long after, most of the students have streamed into the hall, all chattering away and getting impatient for food. Hyunseong and Jeongmin came in and took their usual seats beside Donghyun. Jeongmin of course locked Minwoo in a gentle but firm embrace first, fussing over him and making sure he was okay. Hyunseong rolled his eyes and smiled, knowing his dongsaeng had always been the motherly type.

As the doors of the main hall was closed, K Will stepped up onto the podium and cleared his throat and the voices in the hall dropped to a quiet mummer at once. All eyes were on the headmaster who stood on stage.

“Good evening. Now, I’m sure you are all famished and cannot wait to start eating, but first, I have some very exciting news to announce..” Now everyone sat up straight in their seats, ears perked up to catch what his next words will be.

“Orion house will be having their team tryouts very very soon. In fact, signing up is available from tomorrow onwards. Students from any year are able to sign up for any place in the team they would like to try out in, except for the position of the seeker. Only students from Year 6 and above will be permitted to audition for this role. By the end of tryouts, 5 new students will join Orion house to compete in the Hengeyokai game which has been postponed to the end of the year.”

A thunderous applause broke out from the students, especially those in Orion house. Everyone, especially the older students, were almost jumping up and down in their seat in excitement. Some of them had been waiting for an opportunity like this for a long time, and they definitely not going to pass it up. Even Hyunseong and Jeongmin were already discussing which positions they should sign up for. Youngmin and Kwangmin simply looked at each other and nodded in agreement. Donghyun smirked when he saw how pumped up everyone was, until his eyes landed on Minwoo. The younger was just quietly sitting in his place, biting his lip as he watched everyone else chatter on about the tryouts. His eyes were downcasted as he fiddled with his fingers.

“Sign up sheets will be available on the Orion notice board in the morning. Remember that you will need your maintainer to register yourself in the list. Only Orion house students are allowed to join, so pranks from students of other houses will not be tolerated. That’s all for now, good luck to those who wish to try out for the team.”

K Will clapped his hands and systematically mouth watering food appeared on the table. “Let’s eat!”

_______________________________________________________________________________________

A/N: Hey there! :) I hoped you like the story so far! Unfortunately I have to announce that this story will have to go on hiatus for a few months, but I promise I WILL be back so please bear with me!~ Thank you to all my readers or subscribers, silent or not. I really want to write more for you guys when i get back. Any plot suggestions are gladly welcomed in the comments! Ppyong!~ <3