SMA Chapter 13

Starship Magic Academy

Youngmin dashed into the Spells classroom just as the bell rang and plopped down in his usual seat next to Kwangmin, and on his twin’s other side was Minwoo. Youngmin leaned over and stole a glance at Minwoo, and he could help but feel the guilt when he saw his dongsaeng’s sad face, using an arm to support his head, elbow on the table. He was thinking of how to apologise when the familiar sound of click clack heels echoed through the room and everyone fell silent. Soyou, dressed in his cape and uniform, placed her books on the teacher’s desk and surveyed the class.

 

"Hello class, welcome back to Spells class. As you all already know, my name is Ms. Kang and this would be your third lesson for spells”

 

The Year 4 senior looked around and noticed quite a lot of bored and distracted students looking around the wide classroom. She guessed they have no intention on listening, which is pretty understandable. This year’s freshmen are generally very experienced with magic spells, which surprised many of the teachers and professors. This, to them, had to be one of the best batches in the history of SMA.

 

“I know many of you are anxious to finish the basic test to get on to the more exciting stuff,” Soyou continued. “but you may be glad to know that you all will be taking the basic test next lesson, which is in 3 days time."

 

By now most of the students have sat up straight with attentive ears and she guessed the excitement of getting the test over and done with has fueled them to pay attention and not flunk the test. However, there were still loud obnoxious groans of protest that resonated around the room, more specifically, from the large group of Duncan house freshmen sitting together at the back corner of the large room. One of the boys, uniform messy and cape wrinkled, spoke up.

 

“Yah….I know there are a few babies here who know nothing but can’t you think of the majority, Soyou noona?”

 

Soyou tried to keep her anger under control as she sent a glare in his direction. “That’s Ms. Kang to you,” she snapped. “and furthermore, would you mind telling me who in this room is a baby. I’m sure every single one has great potential, possible more than you, so I advise you not to be so cocky.”

 

The whole group of Duncan boys laughed. The same boy then pointed. “You call him someone with ‘great potential’? From what I heard he can’t even cast a single spell to defend himself”. Everyone’s gaze turned to the small brunette the boy was pointing to, none other than Minwoo. Girls started giggling and whispering whereas some of the boys burst into laughter. Others sat quietly, not joining the taunt yet not stopping anything.

The blonde twin sent a death glare towards the Duncan boy who didn’t even notice. The black haired twin sat there without a word, but underneath the table his fist was clenching at his cape in anger. Minwoo felt tears prick his eyes but refused to let them fall. Instead he hung his head low, avoiding the gaze of his level mates, afraid their reactions would cause him to break down more. Humiliated would be one word to describe how he felt at that point.

 

Soyou noticed Minwoo’s reaction and her heart softened. Hyorin had told her everything, from him being attacked to Donghyun blaming himself. She then decided she would try to help the young freshman, to try and help him grow in SMA. But right now it was difficult. Not only did he miss lessons and was new to magic, but bullies from Duncan house are definitely not helping him.

 

“Quiet!” her sharp voice rang through the room making everyone dead silent. “There will be no more of such nonsense in my class, do you understand?” Mummers of ‘yes ma’am’ could be heard in response. Minwoo still had his head lowered but silently thanked Soyou for ending the teasing.

 

Soyou sighed before carrying on. “Since all of you look so restless, I am going to bend the rules a little. Today, I will teach you a basic transformation spell, but on a very small scale.” At this, students sat up straight and started chattering excitedly.

 

“But, of course, my rules apply. With freedom comes responsibility. I do not expect anyone to perform a spell on anything or anyone on a bigger scale than I ask for, is that clear?”

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

The next half an hour, Soyou demonstrated a few transformation spells, turning a mouse into a cat, then into a dog and finally a wolf, to the amazement of the students. She then turned the wolf back into a mouse before the animal could harm anyone. Many had their textbooks open to the right page, reading it carefully and taking notes, including the twins and Minwoo. Magic may be scary to Minwoo, but he knew he would have to learn sooner or later, and thus tried to embrace it.

 

A glance at the clock showed Soyou had 10 minutes of her class left. She then invited some students up to the front to perform the spell, and many of them did it flawlessly, a few only managed to transform it halfway. Cheers and giggles were plentiful amongst the students.

 

“Alright, I believe we have time for one more student.” Soyou’s eyes scanned the room, many eager eyes looking back at her. Her gaze then landed on a small brunette boy. “Minwoo! Why don’t you come up here and give it a try?”

 

Minwoo tensed up the moment his name was called, and nervously looked up, shaking. Already snorting could be heard from the group of Duncan boys, and he shrunk back in his seat even more. “Oh, don’t be shy, just come up here I’ll help you along the way.” Soyou coaxed him in a gentle tone, and was pleased when he slowly got up from his seat and hesitantly made his way to the front. Minwoo stared at the mouse in a cage, feeling everyone’s gaze on him. Both Youngmin and Kwangmin, say upright in their seats, watching him intently in fear of his safety.

 

“Alright, now just concentrate, and say the spell out loud. Don’t be frightened, no one can hurt you.”

 

Taking a deep breath, Minwoo raised a shaking hand with his maintainer ring and aimed at the mouse. “Tranare incantatores!” He exclaimed and immediately there was a bright flash which disoriented him. He felt dizzy and collapsed to his knees, feeling sudden waves of exhaustion crashing on him and spreading throughout his entire body. Had he accidentally pushed himself too hard? Was he even conscious?

 

He got his answer when the light was gone and he felt an arm around him, gently gripping his shoulder. Great. At least he didn’t pass out or Donghyun would be upset and he would only get teased more for being weak. A voice woke him from his thoughts.

 

“Minwoo? Minwoo! Are you alright?” Still feeling somewhat tired and faint, he lifted his head to meet Soyou’s worried gaze. “N-neh...I-I’m f-fine…” he managed to get out. He turned his gaze to the table where the cage was and to his very surprise, there no longer a mouse, but a cat sitting in the cage, fully transformed. He actually did it! The young boy was still staring at the cat in awe when he felt another pair of arms touching him. He felt one arm being put around someone’s shoulder and lifted him off his kneeling position on the floor.

 

Dazed, Minwoo turned and saw Youngmin supporting him, letting Minwoo lean on his body. He had dashed to the front the moment he saw Minwoo collapse, knowing full well his weak powers were the cause of it. The blonde twin could tell Minwoo was too weak and was swaying even when he was supporting him. Soyou glanced at Youngmin with concerned eyes, and Youngmin promised her an explanation later on. He then supported Minwoo back to their seat where a shocked Kwangmin also helped Minwoo.

 

Soyou cleared . “Well done Minwoo, you did it.” She glanced over at the Duncan boys who were staring at Minwoo leaning against Youngmin, in disbelief. “Remember to study for the test. I wish all of you the best of luck. You are now dismissed.” Students immediately stood up and filtered out of the room quickly, some throwing glances at the twins and Minwoo before hurrying off.. Soyou waited until everyone had exited the room, before making her way to the bench table, where the twins were still seated on,trying to bring comfort to Minwoo who still looked pale and faint. She gently touched the weak boy’s shoulder. “Youngmin ah, what happened to him?”

 

The blonde, who was rubbing Minwoo’s shoulder, answered her. “His magic powers are in a weak condition after the attack a few nights ago, so I’m guessing he might have exerted too much just now and now he’s fatigued.”

 

“I see..” Soyou said in understanding. Minwoo, though he could hear everything, was too drained to respond and only whimpered quietly, leaning more on Youngmin as he was incapable to support his own weight. As Soyou watched this worriedly, she debated on what to do next, as he definitely was in no condition for the next class, broomflying. Finally, she told the twins to go on ahead to the next class and inform Dasom about Minwoo. Though they were reluctant to leave MInwoo in this state, they knew he was in good hands. Squeezing Minwoo’s hand and assuring him, the twins grabbed their bags and raced to the field where class was about to start.

 

Soyou made Minwoo lay down on the bench as she tried to contact Donghyun, who apparently was in the middle of a magic Geography test, but he would end soon and rush down as soon as he is done. As Soyou tidied up her materials and waited with Minwoo, she tried to make some small talk.

 

“Hey Minwoo..I know how you feel about some people saying you’re weak and have no potential in magic, but just look at what you did today. I think that was really well done for your first time.”

 

The young freshmen, still laying on the bench smiled faintly. “Thank you Ms. Kang...I’ll work hard..” he whispered. Soyou beamed and ruffled his hair. He was so polite and humble, no wonder Hyorin and Donghyun adored him. They waited again in silence, Soyou wanting Minwoo to rest.

 

Finally, a figure rushed into the room, flustered and panting. His eyes scanned the room until he found Soyou sitting next to Minwoo. The prefect rushed over and saw his mentee laying on the bench, face pale, eyes half lidded. Donghyun immediately felt worry kick in as he got on his knees by his mentee and felt his forehead. He had been happy about thrashing the quiz until he received the note that Minwoo nearly collapsed in Spells class. He silently wondered why Minwoo didn’t listen to him.

 

“What happened?” He asked between pants, using a health spell to check on his dongsaeng. “Mainhe Donghyun-sshi, I had no idea that his powers were weak, so I invited him up to perform a transformation spell. But I think he over exerted his powers and he fell to his knees. He has been feeling dizzy and tired after that.”

 

Donghyun sighed and shook his head. “It’s not your fault Soyou, don’t apologise.” He then shook Minwoo a little to get his attention. “Can you walk?” The freshman weakly shook his head. Donghyun, together with Soyou then helped Minwoo onto Donghyun’s back. The brunette rested his head on his hyung’s shoulder, arms hanging limply.

 

“Soyou could you help me inform Mr Jung, Mr. So and Madam Park that I would not be able to attend lessons today as I have to take care of Minwoo?”

 

“Sure. Take good care of him!’ Soyou called before she exited the room, needing to attend her own classes. Donghyun then sighed and with Minwoo on his back, he made his way back to their shared dorm room. As he walked, he felt mixed emotions. Why didn’t Minwoo listen to him? This situation was exactly what he feared, with both him and Minwoo missing out on more lessons. At the same time, his heartstrings were tugged everytime the boy unonsciously let out a whimper.

 

Finally, they reached their room and Donghyun put Minwoo in bed, before searching around for the medicines that Nurse Hyeri had prescribed. He made his dongsaeng swallow a tablet before sitting at the edge of the bed, not knowing how to start talking. All he felt at that point was disappointment. Fearing that he may lash out at the younger, Donghyun tried looking away to calm himself down. Minwoo, although exhaustion still tugged at him, noticed the vexed expression in his eyes. Slowly, he forced himself to sit up, and pulled lightly at his mentor’s sleeve to get his attention.

 

Donghyun turned to face Minwoo, a hardened expression on his face. For the first time, Minwoo was genuinely afraid of his hyung. He knew his hyung was upset that he did not follow his advice, and is missing out on lessons because of him, which is a disadvantage for a senior especially. “Hyung...Mianhe..Jeongmal Mianhe..I know you told me to stop if I wasn’t feeling well but-”

 

“But what?!” Minwoo was cut off from his apology by Donghyun’s sudden harsh tone. He met his stern glance and flinched. “What was it that is so important that you ignored what I said?” The prefect half yelled but almost felt guilty once he finished and saw MInwoo close to tears. He adored the younger but knew that he needed to teach his dongsaeng a lesson.

 

Minwoo on the other hand was sitting frightened and started to tear up at his mentor’s harsh tone. But he stopped himself knowing that crying would not solve anything, instead he took a deep breath and started explaining.

 

“Mianhe hyung...it’s just some people from Duncan were saying I had no potential and...and..”

 

“And so you thought you pushing yourself like this would solve all of that? How many times have I told you not to listen to what they say and that we’ll always be there for you?” Donghyun looked Minwoo straight in the eye, stern tone still evident in his voice.

 

Minwoo by now could already feel the tears in his eyes overflow and make his way down his cheeks. He couldn’t take it anymore. He needed to let everything out.

 

“I wanted to show everyone I’m not afraid to try! I wanted to show you, Hyunseong hyung, Jeongmin hyung, Youngmin and Kwangmin that I can do it! I wanted to do K.Will hyung proud! And I actually did it….” Minwoo burst out, voice cracking and quivering towards the end. “I was only trying to make you proud..” he whispered in a small voice, but Donghyun heard it just fine.

 

The older was in shock and regret washed over him in waves. Turned out all his mentee wanted to do was to at least try and show him that he is capable and learning. He was so upset and caught up about the fact his words were ignored to see the bigger picture. And what did he do? He yelled at his mentee, his younger brother. He cut him off before he even had a chance to explain because he lost his temper. He made Minwoo feel like no one appreciated the fact that he performed a successful spell.

 

Looking down at his dongsaeng, he saw Minwoo’s face in his pillow, body shaking. The sound of muffled sobs reached his ear and his heart broke. Slowly, gently, he wrapped his arms around the other boy’s thin frame. He felt Minwoo tense up at his touch and did not detach his face from the pillow. Donghyun slowly pulled Minwoo away from the pillow and started wiping his tears. Minwoo still looked away, not wanting to feel the shame of Donghyun seeing him cry like this.

 

“Minwoo...I’m sorry I lost my temper. I was too upset seeing you like this to realise you’ve actually done it. It’s just seeing you so tired and weak makes me think of when the Hengeyokai attacked you and I’ll never be able to forgive myself for that time.” He pulled Minwoo closer in an even tighter hug. “I can’t watch you in pain..I swore to Mr. Kim I’ll protect you and I will." Once again, the nonchalant feeling of losing someone important washed over the prefect.

 

Minwoo, who was still shaking and had tears down his face, began to soften and finally gave in. He leaned against his hyung's strong chest and let the warmth comfort him.

 

"It's okay hyung..don't apologize I was at fault too...I promise I'll wait until I completely recover before I attempt another spell.." The young boy mummered, making Donghyun smile in relief.

 

"Good...that's good to hear..." He looked down and noticed the boy's eyes closing and his body slowly becoming limp, fatigue clearly still affecting him. Gently, he pushed Minwoo to lay down on the bed and pulled up the covers.

 

Minwoo still wanted to talk, he had more to say but exhaustion was pulling him into the depths of sleep. He tried reaching for his hyung's hand but was suddenly met with the feeling of long, slender fingers running through his soft brown hair. It was so comforting, so loving, it reminded Minwoo of his Halmeoni. It wasn't long before he fell into a deep peaceful slumber.

 

Donghyun made sure Minwoo was fast asleep before standing up from where he was sitting and made his way over to the study table in the corner with a small sigh. He figured if he was going to miss lessons, the least he could do was to read up and try to understand what he missed. He picked up his magical creatures book and started reading.

 

The clock in the room struck 12, making Donghyun look up in surprise. That signaled the start of lunchtime already. Time sure does fly past. He had managed to read quite a lot which would help him in classes later on.

 

He glanced at the bed, where Minwoo was still laying, eyes closed and softly breathing. Donghyun debated if he should wake Minwoo up or not. Deciding that he needed to eat and the twins would probably want to see Minwoo, Donghyun gently shook his mentor to wake him up.

 

"Minwoo ah...it's lunchtime. You need to eat."

 

Brown, puppy eyes clouded with sleep slowly blinked open and stared at Donghyun for a minute, trying to process what was said. He then nodded and slowly sat up. He still looked a bit out of it though, which concerned Donghyun.

 

"Are you feeling well enough to head on downstairs?" He got a soft "yeah" as a reply and soon he supported Minwoo out of the dorm room. He teleported them into the main hall where most students were already stuffing themselves with food. It didn't take them long to find Youngmin and Kwangmin. The two practically jumped up and ran over the moment they saw Minwoo.

 

"Minwoo! How are you feeling? Do you still feel weak? Are you hungry?" Youngmin begin blabbling away and wouldn't have stopped if not for his twin.

 

Minwoo just smiled widely. "Kamsahamnida I'm fine. I just need a little more sleep." He yawned while rubbing one eye, which made the other 3 laugh.

 

"Come on, let's get some food"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

On the other side of the huge school, lay one of the four house dorms. This one in particular was close to the dark forest, so the trees created a dark and gloomy shadow even during the day. In the corner of the room sat 5 guys, uniform wrinkled and messy, capes draped over them but a black badge proudly pinned on the front. They sat huddled in a circle, talking in hushed whispers.

 

“Yah...Onew hyung, how are we supposed to get to Minwoo? I think Taemin may have picked on him a little too much. Now all 5 of them are protecting him and now even the headmaster knows. We’re in some deep crap. Taemin, why the heck did you make it so obvious?!”

 

The youngest looking sent a sharp glare to the person who spoke who was none other than Key. “Yah! Do you seriously think I wanted this to happen?” he hissed. “It’s just a really bad timing that stupid Mr. Kim had to be there!”

 

“Break it up! You two s won’t solve anything fighting.” The oldest, Onew, spoke up. “Minho, Jonghyun, did you two get anything interesting about them from your freshmen juniors?”

 

“I heard from Sungjae that Minwoo managed to perform a successful transformation spell in front of the whole class.” Minho’s face darkened in anger at that thought. “But he also noticed Minwoo seemed really weak afterwards though. From what he can tell his magic powers aren’t exactly in tip top condition.”

 

“hmm..interesting. Jonghyun, what about you?”

 

“I overheard this morning that Minwoo and Youngmin seem to have some tension between them, because Donghyun, Hyunseong, Jeongmin, Youngmin and Kwangmin will all be busy with the trials, and Minwoo is the only one left out. Youngmin that dense headed idiot didn’t consider his feelings.”

 

“Actually…” Onew thought with a slight smirk. “We may be able to use both Minwoo’s weak pathetic powers and the trials to our advantage. The most important thing is to separate Minwoo from the group somehow. And if we do it discreetly, Taemin can get back at him.”

 

“How are we going to do that?”

 

“Oh we’ll definitely come up with something…” everyone let out a chuckle.

 

Taemin’s voice rang out. “Let’s try something dark first..”

 

*******************************************************************************

A/N: Hello! I'm finally back to writing. A really big hug and thank you to all who have waited for me to update this story for months now. I'll try to update as soon as possible. Please do leave comments on what you think should happen next and maybe I'll consider the suggestion! Much Love <3 Ppyong!~