SMA Chapter 3

Starship Magic Academy

“Umma! What about the Ultimate Flyer 360?” A blonde 17 year old young wizard pulled his mother’s hand along the bustling main street of the Magic Market towards a shophouse with the finest and newest models of broomsticks on display. He had big, sparkling eyes with shone with excitement and was dressed in a soft cloak wrapped above a smart white blazer.

 

“Okay okay Youngmin-ah, slow down, arasseo?” said the middle-aged lady who was being dragged along by the blonde. Another young wizard dressed similarly to Youngmin followed closely behind. He looked exactly like Youngmin except he had dark brown hair and a longer jawline. His expression didn’t seem to be as bright as his twin’s but instead had a calm face as he followed his brother and umma around.

 

Youngmin stopped right in front of the display window, gazing in awe at all the different broomsticks placed in front of him, separated by just a sheet of glass. His umma and Kwangmin came over and stood beside him as he read some of the descriptions of the broomsticks out loud:

 

“The Ultimate Flyer (360): One of the fastest broomsticks up to date. Has the ability of making a 360 degree turn or flip faster than any other. Suitable for wizards or witches at any flying degree level. Cost: 500 Monster Essences or 1000 Dragon Scales.”

 

The broomstick Youngmin was talking about was long and sharp, almost arrow dynamic. The twins’ umma, also known as Mrs Jo, carefully read the description before asking her eldest son. “Hmm… Are you sure Youngmin? It’s going to be your broomstick for the rest of your first year in Starship….”

 

The blonde just smiled widely and nodded enthusiastically. “Ne! I can feel it!” His mother said nothing more and nodded, smiled gently and ruffled his hair.

 

Youngmin then turned towards his younger twin, who all the while has been standing quietly, eyes trailing across the many broomsticks. His lips were pressed together in a grim expression on his face, his eyes seemed to be deep in thought.

 

“Kwangmin-ah, what about you? Make sure you choose wisely! It’s important especially for our first year!” Youngmin casually slung an arm around his more silent twin. The brunette hesitated for about a minute before finally pointing and speaking up. voice smooth and determined.

 

“That one.”

 

Youngmin and their umma’s eyes looked towards where Kwangmin was pointing; a black broom with soft-looking broom hairs at its tail. They both read the description beside it.

 

“The Silent Rider: A classic broomstick rumoured to once be used by the ninja wizards during the Charon War. Has adjustable monochromic colours to blend into any dark environment and only produces flight sounds too soft to be heard by most creatures. Suitable for those with flying degree level 2 and above. Cost: 400 Monster Essences or 800 Dragon Scales”

 

‘This is perfect for Kwangmin.’ Youngmin thought to himself. He could see the rare spark in his younger brother’s eyes and knew it was only there when Kwangmin needed or wanted something really badly.

 

Mrs Jo didn’t ask any questions and nodded in approval. She was thinking the exact same thing as Youngmin and knew this particular broomstick boosts Kwangmin’s strong point. Most mothers of first years’ would have been concerned over the flying degree level indicated, but both Youngmin and Kwangmin have been playing around with simple broomsticks at home ever since they were little, so there wasn’t really a reason to be worried.

 

“Alright. You 2 stay out here and keep a look out for your appa too arasseo? I’ll pay for your broomsticks.”

 

“Ne. Kansahamnida umma~” The twins said at the same time.

 

As their umma disappeared into the shop, Youngmin jumped excitedly in front of his dongsaeng. “Finally school shopping done! I can’t wait to get  there and get started, can you Kwanggie?” The quiet brunette, seeing at how energetic and pumped up his hyung was, couldn’t help but smile slightly and nod. It WAS what they had heard so much about and prepared so hard for ever since they were learning how to use their magic powers. Knowing the twins had magic blood since young, Mr and Mrs Jo had been constantly and patiently nurturing their abilities, and the result was of course 2 great young wizards enrolling in a prestigious school looking to expand their knowledge on the topic of magic.

 

Just as Kwangmin was listening to Youngmin babbling on and on about the teachers and the new friends they were going to make at SMA, he spotted a small looking boy he had never seen before. Chocolate coloured hair, brown puppy eyes, sharp nose… The brunette had always been able to recognise people who patron the Magic Market since only wizards and witches could enter, but never before had he seen this boy. He was dressed jeans covered with dirt and a t-shirt, a very weird fashion sense for someone who could come in here. This boy almost looked like someone from the outside.

 

“Yah...hyung. Have you seen him before?” he muttered as he nudged Youngmin.

 

This made Youngmin stop his chattering and followed Kwangmin’s gaze until his eyes landed on the mysterious boy. Confusion was clearly written on his face as he observed the young boy.

 

“Aniyo, I’ve never seen him before… Is he new? He looks pretty lost..” Youngmin said in a hushed tone as they both watched the small boy looking around at his surroundings with a clearly dazed and slightly scared expression.

 

“Think he might be in our year in Starship? He doesn’t seem to have his cloak or broomstick or his uniform…”

 

“I’m not sure… He might be our age or younger”

 

Just as Kwangmin was about to ask if they should approach the boy and help him, his umma walked out of the shop house with 2 nicely wrapped broomsticks in hand.

 

“Boys! Your appa wants to make sure your maintainers are working correctly before you board the train. Let’s meet him at the maintainer repair shop…”

 

Kwangmin had no choice but to follow his umma in the opposite direction, and so he turned back to catch a last glimpse of the boy heading towards the magic train station. Youngmin noticed this and placed a hand on the younger twin’s shoulder.

 

“I think he’s really enrolling in Starship this year. Don’t worry, we can go find him later, ne? Right now making sure our that maintainers work and are secured is really important…”

 

Kwangmin could see where his hyung was coming from and nodded, glancing down at the light blue ring around his index finger

6Se9iLn7AKLeuH2KyjGzOLG0t2kMZPiX0p5NnRSa

Youngmin's was similar but with a different shade of aquamarine blue.

 

OAga_66HprMIx8jt3OwDIlOshvLaVwmXND1sPKAk

 

 

 

 

Both rings were carefully crafted and given ever since they nearly flooded the house while messing around with their ability to use their magic on water. ‘Good times...’ both the twins thought in their heads as they smiled at each other recalling the memory and trailed after their umma, arms around each others’ shoulders.

 

_______________________________________________________

 

“Sir, all 200 academy invitation letters sent out have been burnt. The train from the Magic Market train station is scheduled to depart at 3pm today. Estimated arrival time of the students will be around 8pm, including the freshmen. Preparations for their welcome are almost complete. Would you like to sort them into houses first? Or shall you save it for later?”

 

The headmaster who had been staring out of one of the study’s dusty windows tore his eyes away from the faint scenery and back to the dimness of the study room. He was leaning back against his desk chair and had his back turned towards his secretary Mrs Jung who was still waiting there expectantly for an answer.

 

“I think we should save it for later, don’t you?”

 

“Very well then Mr. Kim.”

 

“Oh and one more thing Mrs Jung. Could you perhaps help me find a freshman named No Minwoo when the students arrive and tell him to see me immediately. He’s the student receiving full scholarship.”

 

“Yes sir.” Mrs Jung then retreated out of the room.

 

K.Will had a smile played on his lips. He once again gazed out of the windows which were no longer hidden behind a curtain, spilling soft natural light into the room. It indeed was a big contrast to when it was at night. Outside he could see beyond the castle’s secure walls where on one side there was a forest, and on the other was a beautiful lake with a train track bridge spanning across it. However, within the castle’s walls he had the bird’s eye view of the crown jewel of the school: SMA’s battle arena. A huge dome-like stone structure distinctly divided into 4 big sections and 1 smaller but grand seat block right in the middle. Each of the 4 big sections had a flag waving softly in the wind at the top.

 

“Good…. This year is going to be very interesting indeed.”