SMA Chapter 1

Starship Magic Academy

The room was enveloped in darkness. Only a few flickering candles struggled to provide light with their faint orange glow. A musty smell from old books stacked on floor-to-ceiling high shelves lingered around the room. There were a couple of semi oval shaped windows and a balcony, but all were hidden from the eye, blocked a thick, dusty curtain draped in front of them. 

 

On one side of the room was a huge desk, and behind it sat a figure of a man wrapped in a night sky colored cloak. Contrary to the ancient room, he had a relatively young but definitely matured face, age not apparent on his features. But something that made him somewhat blend in with the room were his eyes; dark and wise, deep in thought while staring at a crystal ball placed directly in front of him. The crystal ball glowed dimly, and within its centre, showed a scene of a young, innocent looking boy with an elderly lady. It looked like a typical ordinary scenario from any ordinary citizen. But this man, better known as K.Will, knew otherwise. 

 

His mind seemed to be contemplating something. Between his fingers he held a brown piece of parchment paper, a matching cream colored envelope next to the crystal ball. He was leaning to one side of his chair, using his arm to support his head and slightly chewing his thumb, eyes never leaving the images in the crystal ball. 

 

All of a sudden, his thoughts were interrupted by a knock on the large wooden door across him. 

 

"Come in!" He called sharply. 

 

The door knob turned and a fine, tall and well-bodied young man stepped in. He was wearing the all too familiar school trousers and blazer, except he had a tie and a name badge smartly pinned above his right pocket. He had jet-black hair which was style to perfectly match his face. However, the one thing that stood out right away was the He bowed politely.

 

"Good evening, Mr.Kim. Sorry for disturbing you but Ms Jung had sent me here to confirm the number of academy invitation letters to be sent out for next year's freshmen. So far there are 199 students, is that right?" 

 

K.Will glanced at the school prefect and back to the parchment paper in his hand, before folding it up into a perfect half, slipping it into the envelope and sealing it. He then tossed it over to the young man watching and waiting expectantly, who caught it with quick reaction.

 

"Well Donghyun, it looks like we'll be having 200 new students in SMA." 

 

"Alright, then I will take my leave. Kamshahmida." Donghyun bowed before retreating out of the room, letter in hand. 

 

K.Will leaned back in his chair, not moving much from his previous position. 

 

"I sure hope the 200th student shows up though..." 

 

 

________________________________

 

 

 

Shattered glass was strewn across the floor, water spilt on the glass shards and even droplets on the wall behind the table where the vase once stood. The flowers which it bore were now lying, soaked and abandoned amongst the mess on the wooden floor. 2 pairs of wide eyes surveyed this sight, taking in every detail in shock. 

 

One pair was light grayish, with wrinkles evident at their corners. They matched the rest of the old lady's facial features; all slightly wrinkled yet gave the sense of wisdom. The other pair was chestnut colored, puppy-like and was partially covered by the young boy's soft chocolate brown bangs. His nose and jaw line sharp, mouth hanging open. His lips were trembling, trying to form words but at that point he felt like it was impossible. 

 

After a long, tense silence between the 2 in the room with the shattered porcelain mess in front of them, the old lady managed to choke out some words. 

 

"M-Minwoo ah.....H-How did you...?"

 

"Halmeoni, mianhe, I really don't know...!" The young boy cried. His cold hands still shaking, ironically, as those were the same hands which the fire-bolt sprung out without warning and created the mess of wet broken glasses and strewn flowers. His eyes burned with tears of terror when realization hit him harder than an oncoming train.

 

He, had, magic in his blood….

 

No, no this couldn't be! He tried shaking away the thought from his head. There was no way he was one of the gifted ones. If he really was, he would've known quite a long time ago, maybe even before his appa and umma left this world. He was a normal boy! He should be one, there was no way he could be anything but normal! Magic hadn’t been in his life before, so this shouldn’t have happened!

Minwoo was pulled back to reality when he heard his grandma's gasp. He looked up to see his one and only family member he had left backing slowly away in fear, horror written all over her usually calm and wise face. 

 

"Y-you've really got your appa's blood....oh my....ottoke..." She mumbled, still step by step creating more distance between her and her grandson. 

 

"Halmeoni..." Minwoo breathed, stepping forward with the intention to embrace her like he normally would whenever he or his grandma needed support. However, he wasn't expecting the reaction he got next. 

 

"S-stay away from me, Minwoo ah...." 

 

Minwoo could've sworn those words hurt like a thousand needles. The feeling of dejection and coldness ran through his blood and plucked at his heart strings. Tears that glazed his puppy eyes finally fell and made their way down his cheeks and his lip quivered. He hung his head low, not wanting to look at his grandma.

 

The old lady who was still at least 10 feet away from him felt her heart soften at the sight of her only grandson crying. She felt guilty about how she was pushing him away especially at a time like this, but she knew, from the shattered vase and past experiences, what people with magic blood that had no control over it could do. She herself was one with the blood of magic, as well as her son. But they all had trained to control the magic before.

 

Ever since her son and her daughter in law brought Minwoo into this world, she had been waiting for any signs of magic in her dear grandson's blood, but there were none. No Minwoo had been growing up to become such a handsome, polite and smart teenager all these years. That was, until a few days ago, on the front porch of their old, worn down wooden cottage; they found a cream coloured envelope. There was a symbol on it; a blazing tree, and a shield in the middle with the initials S.M.A on it. 

 

Minwoo didn't recognize the symbol, but his grandma knew all too well. She had dreaded this letter, and immediately kept it away from Minwoo before he could read it or ask any questions, trying to convince herself that it must've been a mistake. But now it has been proved. Minwoo had magic blood. There was no way to deny it. Looking up, she saw her grandson who she loved so dearly but yet so afraid of, tear tracks down his face and he was sniffing occasionally. She just wanted to hold him and coo to him softly like she would always do when he was a little boy (he technically still is lol). But she was still afraid. This time, fear overpowered love in her heart. 

 

"Mianhe, Minwoo ah, but I think you might want to open this letter." She held out the envelope with the symbol and seal. “It might be best for both of us. “It might be the best decision for the both of us, you and I.”

 

_________________________________

 

 

Minwoo's POV: 

 

Why....why did Halmeoni back away? Why did she tell me to stay away? Does she hate me, now that I have magic in my blood...? Am I worthless and a threat to her now...?

 

Halmeoni had been constantly by my side ever since I was 3, when my appa and umma died. She was the one who fed me, took care of me, hugged me whenever my trauma would come up and even got me out of my depression stage. She was the only family I have left, and I really love her more than anyone could know. Truth be told, we weren't well off at all. We were living in a village far from the city, in a wooden cottage which was quite run-down but cozy nonetheless. Every day we had to head down to the village market where we would sell bread. We lived off the bread we baked too. The only hope for us is that we have been saving every bit of money possible for years now, hoping one day we could make it to the city. 

 

All these thoughts running through my head which I kept hung low, not daring to look at grandma in the eyes, not wanting her to see my tears. And not wanting to see the rejection in her eyes.  After a tense and deafening silence, I finally heard her speak. 

 

"Mianhe, Minwoo ah, but I you might want to open this letter." I looked up to see her stretching out her hand, with that same mysterious envelope we found at our front porch after coming back from the village market. It had a weird symbol on it, and it looked really old. Halmeoni kept it before I could take a peek inside or ask her about it. “It might be the best decision for the both of us, you and I.”

 

Cautiously, I took the letter from her hand and examined it carefully. With trembling hands, I opened the envelope, sliding out a folded piece of parchment paper....

______________________________________________________________________________

A/N: Finally the first chapter is up! Sorry for keeping you guys waiting so long~ A big thank you to my co-authur and all subscibers of this story! :) We'll try to update as soon as we can. Till then, comments and construtive criticism are gladly welcomed!

Ppyong!