Chapter 8: The Foreign Feeling of Guilt

The Exception
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Dragging my aching body from bed, I still didn't know what has come over me. My face felt overly stuffed due to congestion and my eyes were nearly swollen shut. I remember being fine yesterday. I was able to play with Joon and cheer him up and within a night, I turned into this lethargic being.

My limbs felt heavy as I helped little Joon get ready. But, it’s nothing that I couldn’t deal with. I just needed to find some motivation to get through the day and Joon was the very thing I needed to think about.

“Good morning, Mr. Bang, here is the finished schedule.” I handed it to him and it was normally challenging to keep up with his walking but it was even harder today. I felt this shortness of breath whenever he stopped to do something.

“Ms. Kim, the files that need to be checked are on your desk.”

“I’ll get it finished.” No matter how hard I needed to work today, I needed to finish early. I went back to my desk to find the stacked files. Sighing, I prepared for the next few hours, hoping they would pass quickly. Still sitting in the same spot since this very morning, an itch in my nose stirs me from my focus. Squeezing my eyes shut, a loud sneeze slips from my lips. 

“Bless you.”

My eyes snapped open hearing that familiar deep voice. I sniffled. “Not today, Yongguk.” I had no energy to get ready this morning and there was no way I’ll be able to deal with him today. Not to mention, my head felt like it was going to burst at any minute.

“No thanks?”

I looked up to catch the sight of him leaning on the counter, with his head resting on his palm like usual.

“Yongguk, please. Go.” I shooed him away and went back to reading the file on my desk.

“You’re already being cold to me again.” He pouted and complained. “And I thought we hit it off quite well at the event.”

I didn’t have any strength to suppress my annoyance level today. “Don’t make me call security.” I felt this uncomfortable irritation rising within me. And it was frustrating to deal with so many things at once. So, basically I was cranky and if Yongguk didn’t want to deal with it directly, I really suggest him to get the hint and leave.

He blinked at me, not taking the threat seriously. “Are you okay? You don’t look so well.”  

“Yeah, because you’re here.”  I snapped at him. My voice rose when a kind of pain shot across my temple. I get up from my desk with the finished files in my hand and head to the filing room. My hand finding its way on my temple to rub as I walked.

My patience continued to be challenged when I heard footsteps following me. I opened the door to the room and looked for the alphabetical letters to organize the files in my hands. The other presence walked in and closed the door behind him. Ignoring him, I went on with my task.

“Wonnie.”

I don’t answer. There was no reason I could think of that would encourage me to respond.

“Wonnie.” He said again. His voice raising a bit to call for my attention.

I was getting distracted and this simple task suddenly became ten times harder. I wasn’t going to get anything done. All I want to do is to finish and go home to Joon. Why was that so hard to do? Why was it so hard for Yongguk to leave me alone? 

"Are you not going to answer me?"

I turned around in exasperation. “What is it, Yongguk? What could possibly be so important that you won’t leave me alone?”

He looked at me, shocked by my outburst. “Why the hell are you so upset?”

“It’s because of you.” I shot back. “I want to get things done, things that are more important than you right now.”

He placed his hands on his hips and looked at me, pissed. I turned back and went back to my task, thankful for the short time of silence. When I was done, I turned around to find Yongguk directly in front of me. He pushed me back against the cabinets. “Now are you done?” His jaw visibly tightened.

“Leave.” I pushed against him but he didn’t bother to move.

“I dare you to say that again.” He challenged me.

I stared at him in disbelief, what right did he have to be upset with me right now?

“I don’t have time for you.” I said, emphasizing each word carefully so it would sink into his stubborn brain.

“You’re telling me that these stupid fi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter