Chapter 15: Everyone's Own Happiness

The Exception
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I can’t believe this is happening.

I can’t believe that I am actually sitting in Mr. Bang’s office with the female version of Yongguk and her father. Mr. Bang seemed to be confused by it all also.

“So…what’s going on?” Mr. Bang looked between the girl and I.

“I want to state a complaint.” The girl didn’t hesitate on saying. “This worker was rude to me - I find it only right that she's dimissed from her position.”

“And why is that, Minhee?” Mr. Bang questioned, his tone still calm in the face of such ridiculousness.

“A perfect response to how she treated me.”

Mr. Bang nodded and looked to me. “Ms. Kim, can you tell me what happened?”

“Why are you asking her, Mr. Bang? Isn’t what I said enough?” Minhee cut in impatiently.

Sitting there and listening to her, I think I could describe her easily - she's spoiled, impolite, and selfish. 

He kept his eyes on me so, I had no choice but to offer a response. “I didn’t want her wandering around and getting lost.” My explanation was kept short and straight-forward, like how Mr. Bang always preferred it.

Minhee starts again. “Mr. Bang, I wasn't lost. Now, she's just lying. Let's fire her and be done with it.”

“Actually Minhee, I’m not going to.” Mr. Bang says after a few seconds of silence. “Ms. Kim didn’t mean any harm. There is no reason to reach that point.”

I didn’t hold my breath. Mr. Bang had always been fair. Something like this wouldn’t ever cause me to lose my job. Spoiled rich girls aren’t an exception either.

Minhee sat straighter in a start. “Mr. Bang –”

“Ms. Kim, you can go back to work.”

I stood up and bowed. “Thank you, Mr. Bang.” I turned and bowed in Minhee and her father's direction lest they wanted to accuse me for being rude a second time.

“Wait.” Minhee’s father, who was quiet the entire time, finally spoke out. “Someone who would disrespect my daughter wouldn’t last in my company.”

I froze in my spot. There were lots of things I wanted to say but at the same time, it wouldn’t go over well.

“Yes, at your company, Mr. Choi but, this is my company.” Mr. Bang came to my defense.

It was always expected for someone in my position to stay quiet. Yes, it was frustrating to try to ignore being wrongfully accused of something but, nothing good comes out of it when you wouldn’t be listened to anyways. And, I wasn’t one to care. Why should I tire myself out from nonsensical situations?

Mr. Choi ignored Mr. Bang and directed his next words at me. “Did you think you can disrespect my daughter and get away with it?”

“Ms. Kim.” Mr. Bang calls out to me and gives a nod. “I’ll give you a chance to defend yourself.”

My eyes widened at the offer. Mr. Bang was always doing unexpected things and naturally, I was at a loss for words.

“This is an exception, I suggest you use it well.” Mr. Bang sends me a small smile.

But, I didn’t need to clear up anything. “I will apologize if I need to.” I said. There were a lot of things on the line and I didn’t need to make this situation bigger than it is. “I don’t need to explain myself. If it makes it better, I admit my wrongdoing.” This was a trivial matter to begin with and a trivial response I will offer.

Minhee snorted. “What a joke.” Looking back at me, a smug expression appears on her features. “Then, apologize. Say that you did wrong.”

I turned to her and subtly clenched my hands at my side. “I’m sorry for doing anything that may have offended you.”

“That’s not what I asked you to do.”

I inhaled a deep breath before giving her what she so wanted. “I did wrong.”

She smirked in triumph.

Ignoring the expression, I turned towards Mr. Bang. “I would like to get back to work now, if you would allow me to.”

He looked at me for a few seconds. “Go ahead, Ms. Kim.”

Unable to stand there a second longer, I quickly make my exit. Yet, closing the door behind me, my heart still felt heavy.

***

Mr. Bang stared after Shiwon. A look of disappointment crosses his features after she left the room. With a sigh, he leans back into his chair.

“Workers can be so rude these days.” Mr. Choi commented from the side. “They’re such a disappointment.”

“Yes, I am disappointed in her. But, not in the reasons that you think of.” Mr. Bang started. “She should have properly defended herself when she had done nothing wrong.”

“What – “

“I do not wish to work with people who disrupt my work.” Mr. Bang cuts him off. “I will politely decline your offer to work together.”

***

Thankfully, there were no more disruptions. I did see Mr. Choi and his daughter, Minhee leave in a bad mood. Maybe my apology wasn’t enough in the end.

I sigh looking at my finished pile of work. At least now, I can finally go home. I took a look at my watch and noticed the time to be 6 PM. I could have gotten done quicker if my mind wasn’t elsewhere and clouded.

“Are you done?’ Yongguk popped out of nowhere. “I finished.”

“Yeah, I just need to pack up.” I looked up and found Yongguk planting his face on the counter. “What’s up with you?”

In response, I heard some mumbled words and decided it wasn’t even worth to ask him to speak up.

“Let’s go.” He followed after me, dragging his feet.

Once we got into my car, Yongguk leaned his head against the window and closed his eyes. “I hate working.”

“How bad could it have been?” I asked but really, I wasn’t interested.

“There was so much paperwork! I had to sit in that lousy chair for over 8 hours staring at a bunch of numbers with only one flinging 30 minute break!”

“Yes, that is what you call a job.” I rolled my eyes and drov

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter