Chapter 12: Some People Never Grow Up

The Exception
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Yongguk pushed passed me and dropped his bag onto the floor.

“Hey.” I called out, unable to suppress the irritation that was coming to the surface real fast. “Why are you here again?”

He turned back and only grinned. “Nice legs.” He continued eyeing me, never once realizing the problem with that. “Those shorts are doing you justice.”

Unable to offer a retort to his comments, I held open the front door. “Out.” I motioned him to leave.

“You owe me and I’m here to collect.” He answers whilst ignoring me and walks over to sit down on the couch.

“What are you collecting in the middle of the night?” I tried to stop myself from screaming. This was a whole new level of annoyance. I could stand him bothering me at work but, now he knew where I lived.

“My father kicked me out.”

“How is that my problem?”

He sighs. “I need a place to stay and since my dad threatened Himchan from taking me in, you’re the only other person I know.”

There wasn't a need for me to think deeply about this issue. “There’s no way you’re staying here. Ask your other friends.”

“If I had other friends, I would have gone there already.”

It took me a couple of seconds to register what he just said to me. What a lonely boy. I turned away from him and ended up closing the door.

“So, since you’re the main reason why I got kicked out, you should do something to help me.”

“Would you lower your voice?” I hissed at him and looked towards my bedroom. When I heard nothing, I sighed. “How could you blame this on me?”

“My dad is getting sued because I got into the fight and it was to save your and your nephew’s – “

“My son and it’s not my fault you blurted your father’s company’s name.”

Yongguk waves my reasons away, I guess he didn't like logic. “Whatever. You owe me some favors and I’m here to use them.” He looked at me before taking a more serious tone. “Since my dad would never think I would be here, I’m sleeping here tonight.”

I watched as he took off his jacket to lie down comfortably on the couch. Not hearing a word of protest from me, he shoots me a look. 

I ran my hands through my hair. “I’ll get an extra pillow and blanket.” I left to go into my room and went into my closet for the items. I came back out and threw it at him carelessly. “We’re discussing this in the morning.” For now I needed to go to sleep so I wouldn’t be tired in the morning. And, knowing Yongguk, I'm going to need the energy. If someone needed a definition of 'spoiled', they can just take a look at him. 

***

I woke up in a start and looked at the clock. I breathed out seeing the time. It was 6 AM and I needed to get ready for work. Looking down beside me, the spot that should hold a small warm body was seeming a little empty. Slipping out of bed, I peeked out into the living room to find Joon.

He was kneeling down at the couch, peering down at Yongguk.

“Joonie.” I whispered and he snapped his head back at me.

“What is uncle doing here?” He pointed down at the man on the couch. At the same time, it seemed to have woken up Yongguk. With a sigh, he reaches out and grabs Joon’s hand, making Joon cry out in surprise.

“It’s not nice to point.” Yongguk says groggily.

“Uncle, did you sneak in here?” Joon went back to interrogating. “I think you did something bad.”

“Your au – I mean mom let me in here.” Yongguk sat up and looked at me from the couch.

My heart jumped almost hearing him say aunt. What a jerk. “Honey, go brush your teeth.”

“I don’t want to.” It was Yongguk that replied instead and gave me a sly grin. I pressed my lips into a thin line, I completely missed the humor.

“Joonie, go.” I say gently and he obediently rushes off.

I walked over and stared down at Yongguk with my arms crossed.

“This is not happening.” There was no way I’m letting Yongguk stay here. One, because he is an obnoxious person. Two, because he would be a bad influence on Joon. “You need to find someplace else.”

“I already told you.” He scratched the back of his head and yawned. “There’s nowhere else I can go.” He sighs. “I am only in this position because of you so, take responsibility.”

“Responsibility?” I scoffed. “Do you even know the meaning of the word?”

“Think of me as another Joon, living in your care.” Yongguk smiled and answered casually.

“Mama! The band aids fell off.” Joon walked out while trying to stick the bandages back onto his hand.

Letting the problem with Yongguk temporarily slide, I walk over to Joon before kneeling down before him. He offers his hands to me and I gently take the loose bandaids off the palms of his hands. The small scratches had healed well over night. “I don’t think we need band aids anymore.” I smiled at him and he nodded. “Go get changed.” I rub his head and he goes back in.

<
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter