Chapter 31: Happiness Was Never Unattainable

The Exception
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

This is it guys...the last chapter. *sniffle*

 

Yongguk wrung his hands from all the nervousness bubbling inside him. Light taps made by footsteps on the path made him look up from the park bench he was sitting on. If he thought he was nervous before, then there was no way how to describe how he was feeling now.

Once they made eye contact, he felt all kinds of feelings flow towards the surface. Clearing his throat, he mindlessly tells himself that he needed to keep it together.

The visitor composed herself and made her way gracefully over to the bench and took a seat beside him.

Silence rung between them and as they looked out towards the park. The night’s cool air caressed their skin but they didn’t have the ease to enjoy it.

“I didn’t think you would agree to meet me.” The visitor finally decided to break the silence.

Yongguk stiffened at the sound of the person’s voice. “You would have kept calling me if I didn’t.” Even after all those times rejecting the calls and ignoring the messages, they still came.

A soft bitter laugh was heard from beside Yongguk. “A mother and son shouldn’t be this way.” She sadly looked down at her small hands upon her lap. “But, this was all my doing.”

Yongguk’s jaw twitched and he tried to resist the urge of crying. How old was he that he was going to start crying at such words? “Yes, it was your fault.” He didn’t hesitate to say and his mom – now Mrs. Han, didn’t deny it either.

“And no matter how many times I tell you I’m sorry, I don’t think it will ever be enough.” Her dejected tone filled the quietness of the park.

“Why did you leave?”

“I wasn’t happy.” But that was no excuse to do what she did. “And I’m sorry for sacrificing your father and you for my happiness.” It wasn’t easy for her these past three years, she had to live with knowing her betrayal.

“Did you even think about how I would find out or how we were for the past three years?” The tears once again threatened to fall but Yongguk tried his best to blink them away.

“Yes.” Her voice broke. “Every single day.” She quickly wiped away the tears that fell down her own cheeks. “There wasn’t a single day that went by that I didn’t think of your father and you. The last thing I wanted to do was hurt you two.” She inhaled a shaky breath. “But, I failed miserably.”

“Do you know how angry I was?” Yongguk’s managed to speak again. “How long I have been angry for?”

“You can hate me.” Mrs. Han gave a small smile. She deserved it anyway. Who was she to ask for forgiveness?

“When I told dad I saw you, the reaction I got was not at all what I expected.” Mrs. Han looked at her son. “I expected the old man to be angry, to curse, to yell – but instead he asked, ‘how is she?’.” A small and scornful chuckle left his lips. “And I didn’t understand why. I kept asking myself how he could be so calm.”

“Yongguk –“

“Then I spoke to Himchan, who said the same.” He scoffed at the memory, but his next words were softly spoken. “And before all that, someone else told me the same thing. To forgive. I understood the words but it was like my heart just wanted to shut everything out.”

Mrs. Han looked at her son and an immense sense of sadness washed over her. How could she have done this to him? How ignorant had she been.

“But, I’m trying.” Yongguk started again. “I wanted to try to finally let this anger go – to finally free myself.” For the first time, he finally turns to meet his mother’s eyes. How long has it been since he could face his mother like this. “And the desire only came to me today. Today, I watched someone forgive the one person that was the source of her greatest pain. And at that moment, I thought I could also do it.” He took a deep breath before finally speaking the foreign words. “I want to forgive you.”

He finally said it. He finally said the words that he thought he couldn’t ever say.

He watched as his mother’s eyes were filled to the brim with tears before overflowing. “Really?” She croaked out. She just couldn’t believe it.

He gave her a gentle smile. “Yes, I forgive you.” He hesitated at first but finally reached out to hold onto her hand. Both of hers gripped his in return and more tears slid down her cheeks.

“I'm so sorry.” She continued to sniffle and brush away her tears. “I am so sorry.” 

“I know.” And the dam broke. 

Reaching up, she wiped away his tears before pulling him into an embrace. “That’s all I wanted.” She said genuinely. “All these years, that’s all I wanted.”

“I needed this too.” He confessed and chuckled. “I’m glad I listened to her.” Wonnie was right.

Mrs. Han blinked at the word ‘her’ and pulled away to meet his eyes. “So, who’s this girl?”

“Huh?” Yongguk blurted in surprise.

The thought of her son having someone special made her smile. “Do you have someone you like?”

Yongguk stared at his mother and the thought of admitting it made him embarrassed. Mrs. Han broke out into laughter, the familiar sound of it made him smile naturally. “Yes, I do.” It was the first time admitting it out loud.

Mrs. Han looked at her son endearingly. “Can I hear about her?”

“Like you, I think I found someone that would give me happiness.” The thought made him grin to himself. “When I thought I couldn’t trust or get closer to anyone, she was there – she became an exception I’m willing to try for.” He whole heartedly told his mom. “And I don’t think anyone would make me feel this way.”

Mrs. Han reached out and placed her hand on Yongguk’s shoulder. “Then don’t let her go.”

He nodded. To him, the thought of falling in love was scary. It required him to be selfless and to be doting and he thought he could never be that way. But, when it came to Wonnie, he felt like he could be it all. Be everything that she needed. “I want you to meet her someday.”

“I would love to. Whomever you love, I’m sure I would love her too.”

***

“Why didn’t you just come upstairs?” I asked in bewilderment. Yongguk called and said to meet him outside the apartment complex and I honestly don’t know why in the world I needed to.

He looked up at me. “I just wanted to.” He defended himself. But soon, he started to shuffle about.

“What is it?” Maybe something was up again. “Is something wrong?”

“No, why do you think that?” Yongguk knew he was stalling time but could anyone blame him? He was new to these kinds of things. “I just needed to talk to you.”

“Okay…” I was getting more and more confus

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter