Chapter 30: The Unexpected Growth

The Exception
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

This was what she wanted, was it not?

Minhee sat silently at her table, listening to the bustling sounds of the café, lost in her thoughts. The scenes of days ago flashed through her mind. She should have been happy witnessing the sight of a broken down Shiwon but she wasn’t at ease. Why? That’s what she was trying to figure out.

Minhee set her coffee down and breathed out.  She looked up when she felt a presence standing before her table. Yongguk pulled out the chair across from her and took a seat.

“You know, when I thought about finally having a chance to have coffee with you, it would be because of a date.”

“Minhee –“

She brought her hand up to stop him from speaking further. “I already know why you’re here.”

“Then step back.” Yongguk didn’t beat around the bush.

She held onto her coffee cup and skimmed her thumb back and forth on the surface. “Shiwon loves that boy a lot, doesn’t she?”

He softly smiled thinking about the love between the two. “He’s her son, why wouldn’t she?”

Minhee sighed. “I’ll drop my help.” She finally concluded.

“Wha –“

“Only because I don’t like getting tricked.” She defended her unexpected decision. She should have known something was up with the old woman. That lady didn’t even know anything about the kid. “Don’t get it wrong, I still don’t like Shiwon but it seems I’ve found someone I don’t like more.” How dare that lady treat her like fool – Choi Minhee definitely wasn’t one.

Yongguk wasn’t expecting this but he wasn’t complaining. “Thanks, Minhee.”

The statement causes her to roll her eyes. “I’m not doing anything.” Believe it or not, despite everything, she still had a conscience. She gets up from the table. “By the time you come to your senses, I can’t guarantee I’ll still be waiting around.” Though she doesn’t think Yongguk would ever return her feelings.

He shrugged in response. “If being who I am right not makes me crazy, then I don’t think I’ll ever be sane again.”

Minhee clicked her tongue in distaste. “Then you and Shiwon can be crazy together.”

Yongguk grew speechless as he watched Minhee leave the café. Her words repeated in his mind.

His lips jutted out in thought. For once, being called crazy didn't offend him so much. Yongguk pushes his chair back to get up from his seat.

Just a few more errands and Joon will finally come home.

***

Himchan fumbled with the doorknob. This felt so weird, awkward, and intruding.

“Uncle, why are we here?”

“Shh, Yuna.” Himchan whispered before opening the door. He held onto the little girl’s hand and led her inside the quiet home. “I hate him.” He mumbled underneath his breath. Of course Yongguk didn’t call him to hang out but for a favor instead.

“Auntie!” Yuna called out as soon as she stepped inside, which sent Himchan frantically trying to close .

“Yuna.” He hissed and looked up when he hears a door creaking open.

“Himchan?” Shiwon thought it would be Yongguk but she found an entirely different person.

***

“Auntie!” Yuna exclaimed in excitement and ran towards me. She wrapped her arms around my legs and looked up at me. The sight reminded me of Joon and it pricked at my heart.

“Yuna!” Himchan called out her name in displeasure.

“Auntie, I heard you were sad.” The little girl frowned up at me.

“Yuna.” Himchan called out more sternly this time but it didn’t faze Yuna one bit.

I gave him a small smile. “It’s okay, Himchan.” Yongguk told me to trust him so I did and he made me promise him to stop moping around – I am trying. I squat down in front of Yuna. “Is that why you’re here to cheer me up?” Yuna gave me a bright smile and nodded her gleefully. In return, I smiled and patted her head. “Thanks for coming, Yuna.”

“Yuna, go take a seat and I’ll be right over.” This time, Yuna acknowledged her uncle’s words and bounced away towards the couch.

“Sorry for intruding.” Himchan sheepishly rubbed his neck.

He must have been forced to come here because of Yongguk, I supposed.

“You aren’t.” I sent him a smile to put him at ease. “Have a seat.” He nodded and joined Yuna on the couch. I walked into the kitchen and got two cups of water and returned back to the unexpected, but pleasant guests.

Himchan took the two cups from my hands and placed them on the table. I the TV to distract Yuna, while Himchan and I spoke to each other.

“I really am sorry for intruding.” He apologized again and I gave a faint chuckle.

“It’s really okay. It was lonely anyways.” The house felt so much emptier now that Joon wasn’t around and it didn’t help that Yongguk wasn’t either. Even though whenever he left, he made sure someone was with me – it still felt pretty lonely.

“I’m sure Yongguk is working hard.” Himchan chuckled.

Thinking about Yongguk in the past few days made me smile. I was never the one to depend on someone but to know he was such a reliable person put me at ease. And for once, I felt like I didn’t have to burden everything on my own.

Himchan reached out and grabbed hold of my hand. “You and Joon will be reunited soon.”

To me that still seemed far-fetched. I still don’t know why Joon will refuse to come home with me. At the thought, my sight started to get blurry.

“Auntie.”

I blinked away the small tears and turned to look at Yuna. “Hm?”

She jumped to her feet and ran in front of me. “I’ll get to play with Joon again, right?”

Himchan sighs at the end of her statement. “Why do you talk so much, Yuna?”

Yuna pouted at her uncle’s words. “I just miss Joon.” She mumbled quietly.

A small laugh left my lips and I reach over to smooth out her hair. “I miss him too.”

Yuna’s small pout turned into a wide grin. She bounces on her feet. “So, I’ll get to play with him soon, right?”

I didn’t know how to respond to that because I was still unsure also. I looked over at Himchan when I felt a nudge from him. “Yuna just asked you a question.” He urged me to answer.

After a bit of hesitation, I nodded my head. “You’ll get to play with him soon.” Because Joon will come home. He definitely will and I refuse to believe otherwise.

We all jumped in surprise at the front door flinging open. Yongguk walked over with a large grin and I didn’t know how to react when he pulled me to my feet.

“What happened?” I stared up at him and gasped when he pulled me into a bone-crushing hug. “Yongguk – “

“I got us another hearing.” He finally spilled the good news.

“So there’s a chance that Joon will come home?” Himchan asked in surprise.

Yong Guk released me and nodded.

“It’s not just a chance. He’ll definitely come home this t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter