Chapter 11: The Price Behind Lifestyles and Favors

The Exception
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“What the hell happened to your face?” Himchan sat beside Yongguk at the bar counter, his eyes wide from the sight.

Like every night, the loud music was playing and the floor was filled with a sea of dancing bodies. Himchan's voice almost goes unnoticed - or maybe it was because Yongguk wanted to ignore the question.

“Got into a little scuffle earlier.” Yongguk answered while staring towards the dance floor. He didn’t feel like drinking tonight. Actually, he didn’t feel like being here. Why did he even come?

“You?” Himchan reacts in surprise. “Got into a fight?” That’s a little hard to believe. Yongguk is definitely hot headed but he would never let it go as far as to cause a fight. But, here Yongguk was, with 3 band aids on three different parts of his face.

Aside from a nod, Yongguk doesn't offer a response. From where they sat, Yongguk stared out into the dance floor and HImchan follows his line of sight. And what does he see? A girl busy having fun while dancing with her friends. From head to toe - she was totally Yongguk's type, Himchan couldn't help thinking.

“I apologized.” Yongguk breaks the silence.

“Did she not accept?” There was no other reason to explain Yongguk’s mindless behavior other than that.

“No, she did.”

“So… what’s the problem?”

Yongguk sighed loudly and rubbed his face. “She's seriously so confusing.” Now, he was back to himself. “When I think I understand her, something out of left field catches me off guard again.” There was a look of disbelief on his face that followed his words.

Himchan snickers. “Yeah and every time you open your mouth, I get all confused too.” Watching Yongguk in bewilderment, Himchan tries again. “Let’s start over, who is this girl again?”

“Wonnie, she’s my dad’s secretary.”

“Okay, now we’re getting somewhere.” Himchan leaned his elbow on the counter and allowed his eyes to fall on Yongguk’s profile. “So, what’s the problem?” Honestly, the whole situation was strange to him. Why was Yongguk even hanging out with his dad’s secretary? The type of girls Yongguk were into were right here in this room.

“She’s like this uptight girl.” Yongguk started. He honestly doesn’t even know how to describe her. “She always has this blank facial expression on and all she ever thinks about is work, work, and more work.” Yeah, that sums it up neatly.

“In this world, there are these magical beings who have this weird trait, it’s called being responsible.” Himchan pointed out amusingly. Of course, that’s not something his friend would know. That would be the last word to ever describe Yongguk.

Yongguk shoots Himchan a look. “Stop being a smartass. But, you know what’s even stranger?”

“What? Is she also mature?” Himchan jokingly gasped. This was also something else Yongguk was not.

Ignoring Himchan's attitude, Yongguk continues on blankly. “She has a damn kid.”

Himchan stared at his friend. Yongguk has officially lost it. “….Okay?”

“But! He isn’t her real son! He’s her nephew!”

Himchan sits back warily and clears his throat. “Settle down. You sound like a crazy person.”

“Channie, I’m being serious. She’s always working like a madwoman and she takes care of her son and she smiles at him and- and…and she sounds like she really loves him as if he was her real son. She insists on calling him her son, even though he’s her nephew.” Yongguk continued to ramble on. Spitting out everything that has been jumbled up in his mind. He needed answers from someone else because no matter how much he thought about it, he couldn’t come up with his own answers.

Himchan looked at his friend softly, he knew where Yongguk was going with this. And he felt bad seeing Yongguk react this way. No one could really blame him for feeling like this towards this

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter