Chapter 19: Why Should One Be Awkward?

The Exception
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I couldn’t grasp the situation but I also knew that I didn’t want to be here any longer. “Yongguk, I want to go.” I stated blankly and impassively. He looked just as confused but nonetheless, gently walked me over to the edge. I grabbed onto the side of the pool and hoisted myself out of the water.

I mindlessly grabbed the towel on the side as Yongguk got out after me. Without waiting for him, I quickly ditched and rushed inside the resort and up to the hotel room.

I closed the door behind me and took my change of clothes out of my overnight bag. The picture of our kiss ran through my mind despite my wishes and caused my heart to race against my chest. What was Yongguk thinking pulling something like that? And what was I thinking letting it happen? My hand instinctively covers my mouth.

But at the sound of the hotel room door opening and closing, my hand fell to my side.

“We need to talk.” Yongguk stood beside the couch and stared at me. My hand clutches the towel around my body.

“Can I change first?”

He clears his throat and looks to the side. “Yeah, go ahead.”

I quickly vanished from the spot and into the bathroom and quickly slipped into a t-shirt and a pair of shorts. My hand hesitated on grabbing the doorknob but with a deep breath, I opened the bathroom door and met with the sight of a fully clothed Yongguk on the couch.

I walked over and took the seat beside him.

“About what happened –“

“I’ll save time and just say that it was an accident.” I cut him off gently. Yongguk turned his head and looked at me. “I mean, this whole talk would end this way anyway, right?” I met his eyes and sent him a quick smile. There was no reason to drag it on and I’m willing to forget about the whole thing.

Yongguk slowly nodded – his face not giving away any of his thoughts. “That’s…good with me.”

I nodded back and breathed out. “Then, it’s settled.” I played with my hands unsure about what I should say next. “We have an early flight tomorrow, let’s head to bed.” I got up and walked over to the bed and turned the lights off before slipping into it.

With the moonlight coming in through the glass doors from the balcony, I could still see Yongguk’s figure still sitting on the couch. He sat there for a few minutes before fixing himself on the couch to sleep. I didn’t know what he was thinking but if I was confused, then Yongguk couldn’t be any more enlightened by what happened. I closed my eyes, wanting to forget the whole thing but it was useless.

I sighed once more. It’s okay. It was all an accident and Yongguk feels the same way. This shouldn’t be a problem and it isn’t something I should lose sleep over.

***

Okay, I admit it.

I definitely lost sleep and it turns out that it bothered me. A whole lot.

We couldn’t look at each other in the face this morning and to share a whole plane ride with Yongguk didn’t make the uncomfortable situation any better.

We got home and I headed straight to Mrs. Woo’s place.

“Oh, Shiwon, how was your trip?”

“Huh?” I stuttered. “O-oh, it was good.” I gave her a shaky smile. Yongguk was taking our luggage out of the car and after, headed towards the apartment. Mrs. Woo looked at me strangely but didn’t further dig.

“Joonie, your mom is here.” Mrs. Woo called out.

“Mama!”

Again, I braced for the impact. I crouched down and allowed Joon to throw himself in my arms. Hugging him seemed to have relieved some of my stress, thankfully. “Did you miss me?” I chuckled as he vigorously nodded his head. I looked up to Mrs. Woo as I picked Joon up in my arms. “Thank you for looking after him.” 

“You know I like doing it.” Mrs. Woo kindly answers back. “Go have some rest, the trip must have been tiring.”

I nodded and said my goodbyes. With Joon in my arms, we went up to our apartment and unknowingly my heart starts to race. 

At first, I could brush the feeling off but now it has become annoyingly clingy.

As I reached for the door, the door was pulled back away from me.

“Oh.” Yongguk said in surprise. We both began to stutter until Yongguk gathered his words first. “I’m going out – just for a bit.”

I nodded my head. “Okay, have fun.” He walks by me and I walk into the home before setting Joon down. Our relationship turned awkward because of one act. What am I going to do? I was caught up in such a troublesome situation. Remember, I avoid those, not get myself caught up in it.

I sighed and felt a tug on my pant leg.

“Mama, are you okay?” Joon looked up in concern. I gave him a smile and a pat on the head.

"I'm fine, just a little hungry. Should we make dinner?”

Joon nodded his head. “And can I watch the alien show?”

“Sure.”

Joon looked towards the doorway. “When is uncle coming back?”

I guess he wanted to watch it with Yongguk. “I don’t know Joonie, but I’m sure he wouldn’t mind if you watched it without him.”

***

“You did what?” Himchan wasn’t exactly sure if he heard right or not. It could have been the shattering loud music in the background…yeah, it had to be that.

“I kissed her.” Yongguk repeated, emphasizing each word against the blaring noises of the club.

Himchan stared at his friend dumbly. He was at the loss for words. “…Why?”

“I don’t know. It just happened!” Yongguk shook his hands in front of him as if he was presenting the very situation in his palms for Himchan to understand. But, he had come here to get some help, he didn’t need another person questioning him.

Yongguk lets his face fall into his hands.

Himchan looked at his friend, still unable to fully digest the news. Yongguk looked so bothered but why was he in such a state. Yongguk kissed plenty of girls and living with Wonnie shouldn’t be the only reason why he was spazzing out. Himchan composed himself. “Why is this bothering you so much?” Maybe he hasn’t been asking the right

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter