Chapter 17: How Does One Become Mature?

The Exception
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“You want me to do what?” 

Mr. Bang drops the files onto his son's desk. “Finish these files by today.” When he thought about hiring his son, he never thought it would be this fun to order him around. Mr. Bang suddenly feels an itch in his throat and pulls out a handkerchief to cough into it.

Yongguk pursed his lips in annoyance. He closed his eyes and took a deep breath. “What are these for?”

Mr. Bang clears his throat. “The new Busan resort.”

Yongguk takes a file to look at the numbers. Right, this was the resort they were building with Mr. Yoo, also known as the persistent women-loving ert. “Fine.” 

“Fine?” Mr. Bang's eyebrow quirked upon hearing the simple response. There was no fight, no complaints, no nothing. What happened to his annoying son?

“These files will be on your desk by this evening, old man.” Yongguk starts getting to work. If he stays longer than Wonnie, he would have to take a taxi, which meant he would have to waste money and by the time he gets home, Wonnie’s cooking would have gotten cold.

Mr. Bang stares at his son questionably but decides to just leave the boy. Whatever was happening, he didn’t want to question it. “There’s also a meeting in 20 minutes, you better be there.”

Yongguk stares up at his dad in disbelief. “That’s cutting into the time for me to finish these things.”

“Well, that’s work.” Mr. Bang shrugged off his son’s concerns nonchalantly.

***

I found it hard to focus on what Mr. Bang was saying when the fool sitting across from me was doing anything but behaving. He continued to spin the stupid pen between his fingers and the way he was sitting in his chair, slumped and all, was irking me.

“Am I boring you, Yongguk?” Mr. Bang looks at his son.

“No, sir.” Yongguk mockingly answers. He then proceeded to look away from his dad and caught my eyes. I was sure he saw the way I was staring daggers into his face when he clears his throat and straightened up.

“As I was saying…” Mr. Bang started again. “I was planning to make a trip down to the resort this weekend to check on the progress but I haven’t been feeling well so I need to send another representative.” Mr. Bang looked around the meeting table. “I was going to send Yongguk.”

Yongguk and I both look up in surprise. “Huh?” The younger man unsuccessfully held back his shock.

“And, to make sure you do your job, I’m sending Ms. Kim with you.”

“What?” This time, I was the one that couldn’t hide my surprise.

“Is there a problem, Ms. Kim?”

The contract and the resort construction were important to Mr. Bang so what other choice did I have? “No, sir.”

“Good.” Mr. Bang gathered his papers. “Then, the meeting is adjourned. You all can go back to work.”

People shuffled out of their seats and headed towards the exit.

“When is this trip?”

“This weekend.” Mr. Bang stands up from his seat. “You two will stay there to follow up with how everything is going and then report back to me.” I followed after Mr. Bang until he stopped abruptly and turned around to face us. “Oh, I forgot to mention. Mr. Yoo will be there.”

Great. That’s sounds fantastic.

***

The week passed by quickly and before I knew it, the dreaded trip was upon us. After leaving Joon at Mrs. Woo, not mentioning the tears that I had to kiss away, Yongguk and I finally boarded the plane and headed to Busan.

“Is this the first time you’re away from him like that?” Yongguk asked as we settled into our seats.

“Yeah.” The sight of him crying saddened me. “I’ll just make sure to call him while I’m here.” I answered softly. That’s the best I can do anyways.

The plane ride wasn’t long and after collecting our baggage, we exited the airport and hopped into the ride waiting for us. We arrived at the resort where we were greeted by Mr. Yoo and with a stranger by his side. “Eunae! You’re here!” Mr. Yoo cheerfully exclaimed.

“He’s still calling you that?” Yongguk mumbled beside me but shuts up when I nudged him.

Mr. Yoo rushes over and pulls me into a hug. He motions for the young man to come closer. “This is my nephew, Youngjae. He’s been helping with the construction.” I smiled and shook his hand. Yongguk does the same before we head inside the resort. “Youngjae will show you to your rooms. Come down once you’re ready and we can get started.”

We followed after Youngjae and he leads us to a room. “Here we are.” He hands me the room card. “I’ll be downstairs waiting with my uncle.”

“Wait.” I called out before he can leave. “Where’s Yongguk’s room?”

“Ah.” Youngjae remembers something. “There was only one room prepared since we were expecting Mr. Bang.”

“So…” Yongguk adds from the side.

“You two have to share the room.” The handsome boy states nonchalantly.

I stood there speechless but finally gather my words. “You must be jok – “

Yongguk drapes his arm around my shoulder. “Thank you, we’ll see you downstairs.” He cuts me off and Youngjae leaves. While I was still stunned by how the situation has turned out, Yongguk takes the opportunity and yanks the card key away from me to open the room.

“Yongguk, you’re not staying here.”

“What’s the difference? We live together anyways.”

I could only sigh. For once, Yongguk had a point.

***

We head downstairs together and we both stop in surprise at the extra person sitting there beside Mr. Yoo and Youngjae. Why do random people keep popping out of nowhere?

“You have got to be kidding me.” Yongguk blankly states.

My eyes remained on the smiling girl. “Please tell me that my eyes are playing tricks.”

“I plucking wish.” Yongguk sighs in irritation.

We head over and the three stood up. “We're finally all her

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter