Days Before - A Fallen Named N

Winter Breeze

 

“N.”

 

They came. So many of them. It took them barely 5 minutes to realize what was I doing, huh?

 

“Look at you… Caked with blood.”

 

Ah, such a disgusting looking hands.

 

“It’s all on your black cloak and pretty face.”

 

On my face?

 

“No, don’t wipe it.. it got smeared all over your face.”

 

You don’t say… So those ill smelled liquid are all over my body now..? I shouldn’t use my bare hand earlier…

 

“You look like a…”

 

“A Death? I am a Death.”

 

“Literally. But Deaths don’t usually bath themselves with human’s blood.”

 

Well, we usually don’t. I usually don’t.

 

“And they don’t usually kill a human they don’t suppose to take back to Heaven.”

 

“I have my reason, Kris.”

 

“And I knew very well what it is. And by 3 seconds your wings will…”

 

“ARGHHH!!! AHHHHHH!!! HNGHHH!! ARGHHHH!!”

 

It’s burning! My wings are burning! They are slowly turning into crisp and fell down into ashes. The red flame is eating my feathers one by one from the tip of my dark wings. Slowly but sure, the torture getting heavier and heavier when the flame is getting nearer my back. And the continuous pain can’t help but keeping me screaming and clawing into the floor. Without realizing I smeared the floor with the blood of a human I murdered. The flame slowly getting into my back burning the last remnants of the beautiful black wings that I used to adore. It burned half of my black cloak that I proudly wear as a Death. I could feel a wet liquid trailing down my . My head is spinning from the incredible pain I’ve never felt before. Not even in my previous human life. I tried to breath to what seemed like a solid air. And I knew very well it’s a beginning stage of my punishment.

 

But I have no regret.

 


 

“So, you are the twisted Death that killed a human you don’t suppose to?”

 

Well, what if I am? I guess I pretty much made a big ruckus. All over Heaven should hear the news by now.

 

“Not talking are you?”

 

“Why should I talk to the likes of you?”

 

“Whoa! I’m offended. You’re being a total racist towards an Imp right now. But well, you just talk to me.”

 

What did i.. This is silly.

 

“Oh, fine. What do you want, Mr. Imp?”

 

“Nothing. Just triggering a conversation since you look somewhat sad. Well, you just lost your wings. I could understand.”

 

“I am not sad.”

 

“Your face didn’t tell the same thing.”

 

What do you know about sadness? Your job is only consists of making humans fell into foul decision and unluckiness. You made them sad most of the time. Don’t blabbering about sympathetic things right now.

 

“It makes me feel bad to see someone with that kind of face.”

 

…….

 

“You are an Imp, aren’t you?

 

“With this wiggling tail, a couple of horns and dark wings? Well, yes I guess.”

 

Weird fellow.

 

“So, when will you get out from this jail?”

 

“400 years.”

 

“Whoa, that’s.. long.”

 

“I killed a human, remember?”

 

“Yeah, you deserved it.”

 

“I don’t have any regrets though.”

 

“Why? It’s such a shame, really. You’ve worked so hard on becoming the top of Heaven’s food chain as a Death. You’ve vowed to serve The God by becoming his helping hands, taking turns on circulating the human’s soul. And suddenly, you made a mistake and your hard works during those decades just flew away like it was nothing.”

 

“I didn’t make a mistake.”

 

“Huh? You did kill a human you’re not supposed to, right?”

 

So, I took it that the news wandering about me is not very clear.

 

“I killed a human because he’s going to kill.. my little brother.”

 

“Oh.”

 

“It’s wasn’t an accident. I did it on purpose.”

 

“So, you’re meddling with human’s life too much.”

 

“He is my little brother.”

 

“I think it should be ‘he was’. The memories trapped you in the past. Is that so?”

 

“….. You.. could say it like that.”

 

“Hm, that’s what I’ve been thinking. Hey, by the way, what’s your name?”

 

“N.”

 

“Just an alphabet? Nothing more?”

 

“I can’t lie, Mr. Imp.”

 

“Oh, right, N-hyung it is.”

 

“How long have you been an Imp?”

 

“146 this year. 133 years of wandering the human world and bug their life. 13 years of being in this old nasty jail. Hhh…”

 

“Why? Didn’t have a remarkable statistic?”

 

“Exactly. I just.. I’m not as mischievous as the others. So my upper ranked Devil put me down here. , huh?”

 

“So, you’re one weird Imp.”

 

“Maybe I am. I will take the test again in 37 years though so I could try again and mess with those pitiful humans.”

 

“I still found it weird to have this kind of conversation with an Imp like you…”

 

“Oh, you smiled!”

 

Ah.. maybe I did.

 

“Hey, don’t back with that face. It’s boring~ Smile more.”

 

“You’re telling me to smile? You are a really weird Imp, you know that? You’re totally the opposite from the rest of you.”

 

“Maybe I have to learn to be more mischievous and enjoy teasing humans some more…”

 

“Hahahaha, you’re really weird…”

 

Oh.

 

“Oh.”

 

“Sorry.”

 

“No, laugh some more. It’s pretty quiet here.”

 

“And you're sure you’re an Imp?”

 

“Well, pretty sure. I think…”

 

“Why are you doubting yourself, hahaha.. You are really funny…”

 

“It’s just.. ah.. I don’t know…”

 

“Haha… this is stupid. So, what’s your name?”

 

“Hm? Call me Ravi.”

 


 

It wasn’t as bad as I thought. Being in Heaven’s jail. Of course Ravi’s company during his years of becoming a poor jail guard is really help going through the loneliness. He finally got a chance to wandering around the Earth and go create a mess somewhere. It’s making me smile countless times thinking of him clumsily bugging those humans. And because of that he had to leave me under here, alone. Like I supposed too. His presence made me think that probably, Father didn’t abandon me at all. But his substitutes are really cold towards me, sometimes acting scared. I barely have a conversation with them. They don’t even tell me their name. Rude much. Ravi was the best jail guard I’ve ever met. After being free from his job guarding me, he still visits me once a year during his statistic reports. He usually bragged about how he made some humans suffer which earned him a flick on his head. Well, I can’t help but feel wrong at his doings, I am an Angel anyway. At least, I was. It was a great day when he does visit, he made me laughed with his silly story from when he did his job. I’m sort of… well, what should I say… this is felt so wrong… I feel ‘glad’ that he’s becoming more mischievous towards those humans. That means he scored a great statistics. But he still calls me his friends. Our relationships are really weird for Heaven’s sake. But I truly enjoy his weirdness towards a sinner like me.

 

Today is the day he should’ve visits me once a year. It’s his statistic report day. I hope he did great this year too. It’s been 324 years since I first met him. I almost ended my jail time and then Father would send me to The Earth. I will become a Fallen by that day. I don’t mind though. By the way, he seems to be later than usual. That Ravi.

 

“N-hyung!”

 

“Oh, there you are! Yah, why are you so late?”

 

“Sorry, sorry! My report took longer! Guess what, guess what!!”

 

“Huh? Guess.. what?”

 

“I’m becoming a Devil!!”

 

“Whoa! That’s a great… news..?”

 

“Yaaah, why are you being uncertain like that?! You should be happy for me…”

 

“Well, I was an Angel, Ravi, what do you expect, we should’ve been an opposite race, hahahaha… But, congratulations?”

 

“Thanks, hahaha~ It would be so much fun to made the suffer some more! I can’t wait to make one of them kill themselves! Oh, maybe killing other people will give another thrill too~ Hahaha!”

 

“Can we drop this conversation? As a former Angel, I don’t feel very comfortable with this conversation, Ravi.”

 

“Alright~ Sorry, N-hyung. Hahaha~”

 

“Such good news, I can’t believe a lazy Imp like yourself could be a Devil in just 300 years.”

 

“That’s Ravi for you. Hahaha~”

 

“Bragging right now, aren’t you?! Come here, you little!”

 

“Hahaha, sorry, Mr. Former Death. Try going through that cold steel first.”

 

“Oh! You insulted me!”

 

“Just kidding, just kidding! Hahaha, oh, and by that, i… don’t think I could visit here as often as usual.”

 

“Oh, right… You have a lot of statistic to evaluate.”

 

“No, no, I’m not assigned at checking out the statistic. That’s boring.”

 

“And I thought that you were lazy.”

 

“It’s great to sit around and sprawled on those paper, hyung. Really. But the stress! And it’s more fun to do a field trip, agree?”

 

“Well, I’m with you at that.”

 

“See? And now I’m the field inspector, controlling the Imps’s prank and do more dangerous pranks on those humans. So much fun!”

 

“Uh, I can’t have a pleasant field trip when I was an Archangel…”

 

“You should’ve more action, hyung! Ah, besides, there are so many damn Angels here. More people needed to do that boring job, huh?”

 

“Precisely. I was nagged a lot because of that… Hhh..”

 

“I could imagined, hahaha… Hey, N-hyung, I think I should go now.”

 

“Oh, right. Go prepare for your ceremony!”

 

“I will, hehehe… Thanks, hyung.”

 

“You are welcome. Go do a greater job even though I will probably against it.”

 

“Hahaha, don’t worry! See ya!”

 

“See you…”

 

And the room fell into eerie silent again. Only the echo of Ravi’s footsteps filled it, but it’s soon fading through the air either. And I’m alone again in my cold cell. Doing nothing for days. For years. Thinking about what is Ravi doing. Thinking about how my little brother doing. Is he becoming a great human being. If he’s doing great as a human, maybe Father could consider him as an Angel. No, not an Imp, please, even though Imps and Devils are also Heaven’s creature. I still don’t like it if my little brother becoming a mischievous little creature like Ravi.

 

Hurry and take me to Earth, Father. I can’t stand this loneliness any longer.

 


 

“N-hyuung! It’s been a long time!”

 

“Ravi! Oh, for Heaven’s sake! How are you?”

 

“Fine, hehehe… Have you been doing well?”

 

“The same thing every day. Doing nothing.”

 

“How many years left, N-hyung?”

 

“Hmm, 47 years more. I’m looking forward to get out of this silent jail.”

 

“I’m sorry for making you lonely.”

 

“No, no, it’s really not a problem, Ravi-yah. I could understand that you must’ve been busy.”

 

“Trully. Barely have the time to play, hyung. Like have to prank this and that. Hhhh.. Really tiring.”

 

“I thought you like to mess with the humans..?”

 

“I do, I just… I have.. Something got my interest.”

 

“Oh? What is it?”

 

“A human.”

 

“I don’t like where this is going…”

 

“I know I shouldn’t involve myself with it, hyung… But…”

 

“Ravi. Don’t.”

 

“You should see him, hyung. He’s such a beauty. Well, he has a foul mouth, but that’s what made him even more charming. He’s anti-social and all. Everyone hates him eventually.”

 

“… You have a weird taste.”

 

“I don’t know, really, N-hyung. But I really… He’s all I could think about right now.”

 

“Ravi, I’ve warned you…”

 

“I think I fell in love with this human.”

 


 

Today. It’s finally today. I’ve finally free. I could finally hear something more that the wind whispering nothing into my ear. I finally hear people talking. I could hear each of them talking about me very clearly. Is it only because I’ve never heard anything for so long or just they’re talking obviously loud? I couldn't tell myself. But well, who wouldn’t be talking about you if you are being dragged into Father’s chamber with 10 Archangels and 5 Deaths surrounding you?

 

It’s great to finally smell the great Heaven’s air again. Ah, well, I’ve been jailed in Heaven but… The air in that place is awful. It smells like an old rusty steel. It’s still disgusting even though I should’ve getting used for living there for 400 years.

 

In the last 47 years of my punishment, Ravi had never visited me again. The last thing he said to me burned in my memory as I was getting worried of his well being. He’s my only friend. He’s never judged me for being a sinner. Never once. But his disappearing really worried me a lot. No news from him. I thought he was busy, but I can’t help to think that there’s something going on with him. I hope it’s nothing related to the human he mentioned last time. I just pray that he’s fine and healthy. Even though I don’t regret killing that human to protect my baby brother, I don’t want him to go through the same road as I did.

 

But… I haven’t seen him at all. Is it maybe he’s on Earth doing his duty? I hope that’s the reason I couldn’t spot him among this crowd… of…

 

Is that..?

 

Yes. That’s him. I’m glad. He had done a great life. I’m proud of him.

 

“Um, did he just..?”

 

“Uh… I don’t know, Peniel…”

 

“That Fallen had just smiled at you, Hyuk-ah…”

 

My little brother. Sanghyuk.

 


 

“Ah, how are you, my child?”

 

“Very fine, Father.”

 

“Eager to came to Earth, my son?”

 

“I’ve just taken my punishment rather too much, Father…”

 

“Hahaha, I see.”

 

“My deepest apologized, my Lord, for disrespecting your laws. I’ve failed you as an honorable Death. I’ve disappointed you, Father.”

 

“Yet, you did not regret what you did to that poor human.”

 

“Not the slightest.”

 

“Hahaha, have you seen him?”

 

“Yes, it’s such a happiness to see him among the crowds, Father. I’m glad he lived such a good life.”

 

“Yes, he’s been a wonderful human. You disobey my words and protected him well, N.”

 

“You.. flattered me too much, Father…”

 

“It’s refreshing isn’t it, going out from that jail?”

 

“Trully. I couldn’t ask for more.”

 

“Hahaha, then, I shall send you to the Earth. You will become a Fallen.”

 

“Father, I have a question.”

 

“What is it, my child?”

 

“Will my little brother remember me?”

 

“No, he will not. Like I gave you, he will have the knowledge about one period of his previous life. The life he lived before was the life without your presence. As a result, he won’t have any memories about you. Would that be fine?”

 

“It’s perfectly fine, Father. It’s exactly what I wish for.”

 

“Then I took it you don’t want anything for your last wish?”

 

“No, Father. I’m ready for you.”

 

“I’ll give you my blessing. I thank you for helping me all those years. You’ve done a great job, Hakyeon.”

 

“I… No, thank you for giving me a chance, Father. I knew your love won’t decease.”

 

“Be a good human, comeback to Heaven soon.”

 

“I will. Thank you, Father. Thank you for everything, for the past, the present, and the future.”

 


 

My stomach… it’s hurt. The pain on my back had suddenly came back… Where should I go…? My feet are starting to give up… The pounding on my head doesn’t help either. It’s been… 7 days. A week since I came down to Earth. I’ve been wondering aimlessly in this unknown town. Where am i…? What am i…? I don’t really know anymore.. I just couldn’t think. I think I should’ve eat something. But how..? I didn’t have any money nor want to steal. I just couldn’t. But what should I do..? My body is getting weaker and weaker… My chest hurts. My lips are dry. My body hurts. It hurts everywhere.

 

This is it?

 

Is this how I will live my human life? How long can I survive?

 

“Yah, yah, look at that thing under the bridge! Is it human?!”

 

Is he…? Is he talking about me?

 

“You, stupid, of course it’s a human, dork! Let’s check it out! Maybe we could play some games…”

 

“What games? Ohhh! I get it! Let’s go!”

 

What are these kids doing…?

 

“Yah, yah, mister! Are you dead?”

 

He’s poking my head with his finger. I need to shoo them away. But… I just don’t have any powers left except glaring at them.

 

“He looks crazy…”

 

“Hey, talk!”

 

He slapped my face with his filthy hand and threw my face to the side. My lip starts to bleed because of the impact.

 

“Hey! Are you deaf?”

 

He grab a handful of my now black hair and yank me up so he could see my face. I made a disgusted face at the pain he made. I know there are some humans acting like this. It’s not his fault, maybe one or two Imps are bugging him, but… to be the one to taste the human’s cruelty… once again in my lifetime… I had enough.

 

“He’s definitely deaf.”

 

“Or mute.”

 

“… f…”

 

“Huh?”

 

“… off…”

 

“Whoa! He just talked!”

 

“How dare you talk to us like that! You need to learn a lesson or two! Yah, let’s teach him some lesson!”

 

And by that, they started to kick me. They kicked my already hurting stomach, punched my face, torturing my already weak body. And for Heaven’s sake, I couldn’t do something to protect myself. I barely speak and to move my body was a hard task to do.

 

Is this the end..?

 

Is this still a part of my punishment…?

 

“YAH! What are you kids doing!?”

 

If it is, then so be it.

 


 

“Honey, I guess, he’s waking up…”

 

Ah, my head. Where am i..? What happened?

 

“Yes, I could see that..”

 

What..? Who..? Who are these guys!? Do they want to hurt me too!?

 

“Honey, don’t be so rushed! You scared him!”

 

“I was just… I’ll go get my tools.”

 

“Hello there. Don’t worry. We’re not going to hurt you or anything. Please be calm.”

 

Where is this? White room? A bed? What is this slim thing that connected to my hand?! What is--! Ah!

 

“Ah, be careful, son! Don’t yank it like that! You’re hurting yourself… Let me see your hand.”

 

It’s hurt! What is this old female doing…? What does she want…? Is she going to…

 

“No, I don’t want to hurt you at all, let me see you hand, my dear…”

 

What is she going to do? Ow, my hand.. it’s… it’s leaking blood… It hurts.

 

“Calm down. I’ll wipe the blood, okay? It’ll put the antiseptic, it will hurt a bit, you think you can hold the pain?”

 

Huh? I.. I don’t know… Don’t hurt me…

 

“Just a slight pain. You could grab my hand if that’s unbearable. I’m putting it now.”

 

Ahh, it-it burns! Ah! What was that slim thing stabbed into my hand? It made a tiny hole in my hand. What was that brown liquid you just put into my hand? It burns…

 

“Good job.”

 

She… she pats my head.

 

“You’re really brave to hold the pain like that.”

 

She touched my swollen cheek…

 

“Such a wonderful young man.”

 

She brushed my fringed that now covering half of my eyes.

 

“It must be hard for you. You’ve done so well.”

 

And I can’t hold my emotion anymore. Her smiles, the sweet words she said to me, her soothing touched. I just can’t control the substance coming out from my eyes anymore. I broke into a sobs. I tried to hold myself. I don’t want to appear weaker than I am right now. I don’t want to be weak in front of this weird stranger. But then, she opened her arms, telling me to come closer to her. Of course I was hesitating. I don’t even know who she is, what does she want from me? I don’t know anything that’s been going on. The second time she asked me to come closer, I just did. I hugged her tightly like my life depends on her. Like she’s so precious. I cried like a baby in her warm arms. Her voice beside my ear feels so soothing. She hugged me protectively, one of her hand is caressing my messy hair. I must be looking ever so ugly with this appearance but she doesn’t seem to mind it and keep calming me down which is a fail since I keep on crying and choking my sobs. I am miserable in her warmth. Once I calmed down a bit, she asked me.

 

“What’s your name..?”

 

“…N… Uhuk! Uhuk!”

 

“Oh! Your throat must be very dry. Honey, could you bring me a glass of water?”

 

Without realize the other male human’s presence before, I keep coughing. I felt my throat hurts as soon as I let out a voice. Not too long, the male human came back to the white room and give the glass to the woman I still hugging.

 

“Drink this, son. Good, ah, finished it, a little bit, great. Good job.”

 

“What are you feeling right now…?”

 

“… My body… ache…”

 

“Those little devils deserve a punishment…”

 

“Honey, they are just kids. By the way, do you have a family?”

 

No…

 

“Where do you live?”

 

I don’t know. They looked at each other before shot a warm smile at me.

 

“Do you want to live with us?”

 

“But…”

 

“We don’t mind. This house is too big for the two of us. We don’t have any children. Not anymore. We will be glad to have you with us.”

 

“Would you live with us, my dear?”

 

“…. Is it okay…?”

 

“It’s great! We could cook together, shop for vegetables together!”

 

“Honey, he’s a male. Not a girl.”

 

“But it would still be fun~”

 

“So, do you mind living with us..?”

 

I.. I don’t mind.

 

“Ah, such a wonderful child.”

 

“I.. but, i… don’t want to burden you…”

 

“You won’t. By the way, what’s your name again?”

 

“… Hakyeon.”

 


Hi! Hope you enjoy Hakyeon's past. I want to write about his past more but i think i'll save it for the next chapter. Enjoy~ Happy almost Chinese New Year! <3