Chapter 9

Stay With Me

Apparently Luhan and the professor were really close... for some reason.

Baekhyun timidly followed behind him and prayed what Luhan said about the teacher was true and wouldn't get them in trouble for being tardy.

The professor and Luhan exchanged overly friendly greetings and handshakes. The rest of the class watched, not really knowing how to act.

Luhan suddenly remembered about the boy behind him and stepped aside to give Baekhyun a chance to introduce himself.

"Professor, this is Baekhyun." Luhan stated. "He's new here." Baekhyun smiled at the professor, who gladly returned it.

"It's nice to meet you..." He patted Baekhyun's shoulder and squinted his eyes, thinking of a nick-name for him. "....Baekkie!" The teacher leaned closer to Baekhyun's ear and whispered. "Can I call you Baekkie?"

Baekhyun moved his head away a few inches and the professor took that as a sign of him feeling uncomfortable, so he stepped back and waited for Baekhyun's response.

He sort of chuckled and held his hands behind his back. "Uh, I'd rather not...." Baekhyun tried to sound as polite as possible. The name was already used (and reserved) by someone, and he didn't want anyone else to call him by that. The professor nodded in understanding and turned to walk back towards the front of the class.

This teacher was a little too friendly...

"C'mon, let's sit down." Luhan motioned for Baekhyun to follow him. They walked to the back of the room and sat in two empty seats next to each other. Since it was a full class and they were late, there weren't any seats away from people, so Baekhyun sat right next to another girl with glasses while Luhan sat at the end of the row.

Both boys set their backpacks behind their chairs and started listening to what the professor had to say. He was talking about class expectations and his policies, which Baekhyun figured wouldn't be taken too seriously.

When the professor finished talking he turned to class and clapped his hands together, eyeing everybody through their intense silence.

He pursed his lips and expected someone to start talking or at least make any sound.

"Come on, guys. Why so quiet? It's the first day of school! Be excited!" He started moving his hands around and dancing around the classroom, obviously trying to get us more energetic and lively. Probably 75% of the class groaned irritably.

The professor suddenly stopped with an expressionless face. "Okay. Fine. You leave me no choice." That got everyone's attention. They all sat up straight, confused and nervous about what the teacher had in mind. It was silent once again.

"Everyone. Turn to the people next to you. Look them in the eye and tell them about yourself." The class chorused in annoyed groans once again. The teacher rolled his eyes. "And this does count as your first assignment of the semester." Baekhyun sighed. He wasn't a very social person. It even surprised himself how quickly he warmed up to Luhan, considering he just barely met him. Luhan just sort of had that comfortable aura to him.

"Now! Start!" The professor demanded when he noticed nobody's cooperation. Baekhyun instantly turned to face Luhan who shifted in seat and met his eyes with Baekhyun's, like the teacher ordered.

"I'll go first." Luhan stated. Baekhyun nodded.

"My full name is Xi Luhan, I turned 22 in April, and I am a senior at HYU. I'm Chinese and I've lived in China almost my whole life. I came to Korea my sophomore year of high school because I was having some issues during my freshman year... so my parents agreed to let me stay in Korea with my step-aunt." Luhan inhaled and pursed his lips. Baekhyun took the silence as him being finished. He nodded in understanding.

"Okay. You're turn." Luhan said, and Baekhyun inhaled deeply, trying to think of where to start.

"Um... My full name is Byun Baekhyun." He started off the same as Luhan. "I turned 21 in May and I am Junior." Baekhyun couldn't really think of other things to say, so he just copied the other boy. "I... am fully Korean. And I've lived in Korea most of my life, but my mom and I lived in the US for a few months." His words faded away as he tried to think of other useful facts about himself. My life isn't very interesting...

"Really? So do you know English?" Luhan looked genuinely interested. He rest his chin on the hands of his propped up arms, looking intently at Baekhyun.

"Uh, yeah," he answered awkwardly, "but it's still a little rusty." Baekhyun chuckled and looked down in slight embarrassment. Luhan nodded, impressed actually.

All of a sudden, the professor ringed a bell on his desk; the kind used in hotels, to get the worker's attention. Everyone quieted down and turned their heads.

"Time to switch! Everyone stand up and find someone you don't sit by. If you're not going to be enthusiastic about school, I guess I'll have to force you." He ended with a half-smile. The class groaned once again.

Everybody obeyed and stood from their seats. They moved sluggishly to the opposite side of where they sat and hoped to just get all the talking over with.

Baekhyun started getting nervous. People were partnering up fast and soon there wouldn't be anyone left for him, and he was not going to receive a bad grade on an assignment that seemed so easy. Especially on the first day of school.

He noticed Luhan had already paired up with someone, being the seemingly social person he was. The class's volume grew quite substantially as Baekhyun did the opposite.

He had always hated that about himself. If only he could be more friendly and outgoing.

Baekhyun looked around the classroom and searched for anybody he could partner up with, if that was even possible.

There was literally no one. The class was an odd number and he was the odd one. Once again, Baekhyun was the loner.

Good thing the teacher didn't notice him just standing there. Baekhyun hoped time would pass by quickly so he wouldn't embarrass himself too much by not participating.

As seconds turned into minutes and so on, a few people here and there would finish early and head back to their seats. Baekhyun watched and thought about pairing up with one of them, but decided against it because that would just be too awkward. He didn't want to bother them more when they already finished the assignment themselves.

He would just let someone come to him. Hopefully...

Maybe there was someone caring enough to notice Baekhyun and his absence of a partner.

 

 

Luhan had already sat down and noticed the empty seat next to him. He looked around for the boy who sat there and found him just standing there alone. Luhan sighed and decided to help Baekhyun out a little.

"HEY BAEKHYUN NEEDS A PARTNER!"

Almost everybody turned to stare at a now red Baekhyun. He mentally cursed at Luhan.

Someone who finished early turned and looked at him. Baekhyun felt his nervousness rising as he felt even more alienated. Anybody...... 

"I'll be your partner, Baekhyun." A male student said with a smile as he stood up. He walked over to said boy and stuck out his hand, motioning for Baekhyun to shake it. Fortunately, the rest of the class went back to their own business and didn't give any more attention to him.

Baekhyun cautiously shook the boy's hand and kept glancing at his face for assurance. They both let go and looked at each other. This guy was actually quite handsome, Baekhyun thought. His eyes were a light blue, which was extremely rare in Korea. Baekhyun couldn't stop staring at them.

The boy noticed and shyly laughed to himself, looking down. "Is there something on my face?"

Baekhyun looked away in embarrassment and shook his head. "Oh, no. S-Sorry about that." He avoided eye contact. Way to make it awkward, Baekhyun.

Baekhyun was grateful that at least somebody was willing enough to be his partner. His new goal was not to scare him away with his awkwardness.

Maybe he could even make another friend. Baekhyun mentally smiled at the thought.

"It's alright. Shall we get started?" He replied and looked up at Baekhyun with enthusiastic eyes. Baekhyun nodded. "Okay. I'll go first."

The boy offered to go first and Baekhyun happily agreed and listened.

He looked into Baekhyun's eyes, as the assignment called for, and Baekhyun couldn't help but return the gesture.

"My name is Lee Jin Hyun and I am turning 21 in November. I'm a junior here, and a psychology major, as you've probably noticed." He motioned to the classroom. "I'm half Korean, half American. I grew up in the US, but my father and I ended up leaving my mother and sister and coming here when I was still in elementary school. I have an older sister, and she lived with our mother until just a week or two ago when she came to live with us." Jin Hyun started going off topic and broke the eye contact. "It was kinda weird though. She acted really crazy and determined, but she wouldn't tell us why she came to live with us. She just told us she was going to be attending HYU. That's pretty much it."

Jin Hyun looked back at Baekhyun and realized what he was doing. "Oh, sorry. I didn't mean to explain my whole life story." Baekhyun chuckled.

"That's okay. Is it my turn?" He wanted to make sure Jin Hyun was finished talking.

"Yeah, go ahead." Jin Hyun smiled.

"Okay, as you've already heard, I'm Byun Baekhyun. I am 21 years old and also a junior and psychology major. I'm fully Korean," he repeated from his forced conversation with Luhan. "I grew up in Korea, but I used to live in the US for a few months when my dad died." It was pretty short so Baekhyun decided to add some of the same things as Jin Hyun did. "Uh, also, I live with my mother and I'm an only child."

Baekhyun just realized that makes him sound like some... dependent baby.. who's a mama's boy.

Oh god, more awkwardness. Baekhyun's cheeks turned red and Jin Hyun obviously noticed.

"Uh, I mean... about living... with my mother..." He said the last part quietly. Jin Hyun flat out laughed at Baekhyun.

"That's okay. There's nothing wrong with living with your mother." Baekhyun wasn't sure if he was making fun of him or actually being nice to him. He didn't respond and just looked down, hoping to change the topic.

"Well, anyway, that's about it. So I guess we're done." Baekhyun stated and glanced back up at Jin Hyun for approval. He smiled and added, "let's go sit down."

Jin Hyun nodded. "Okay. It was nice to meet you, Baekhyun." He smiled and said boy returned it before going their separate ways to their own seats.

 

The class soon came to an end and Baekhyun walked out of the classroom, not really in a good mood. This was probably the worst first day of school ever.

Baekhyun was side by side with Luhan as the walked down the side of the building they just came out of. He sighed out loud and Luhan noticed and playfully scoffed.

"Already exhausted on the first day?"

Baekhyun lazily glared at him. "This is the worst day ever."

Luhan smiled in amusement and glanced at his watch. "Well, we have 4 minutes till the tardy bell and I'm pretty sure I never want to be around you when you're late." Baekhyun groaned.

"Fine, I better get going. But wait, can you tell me where this class is?" Baekhyun pulled out his schedule and pointed to the room name.

"Uh, T-7... Oh! That's over there." Luhan shot up and pointed somewhere not too far from where they were. Baekhyun sighed in relief and smiled thankfully.

"Okay, thanks."

Luhan hummed in response, and with that, him and Baekhyun went in their own directions.

Let's see what misery this next class will bring me...

 

 

 

 

 

 


A/N I AM SO SORRY

This chapter is probably really boring omg.

These past few chapters have seemed more like filler chapters storyline-wise. To me, anyway.

Please don't unsubscribe. I know this probably .

IT WILL GET BETTER TRUST ME.

Just wait!!!!! I have all these super fluffy cute cheesy romantic fluffy stupid cheesy and super cute moments planned out already. I JUST NEED TO BUILD UP THE STORYLINE so I can write those parts. c:

I literally wake up and these moments are IN MY BRAIN OMG

Sorry for the excessive cap lock use, it just feels right y'know?

About the story, I'm not going to make a chapter for every single one of Baekhyun's classes; Chanyeol's neither. That would be too boring and draw everything out waaayyyyy too long.

I also kinda have some complexity planned out for later in the story ehehehhe. not gonna tell muahahahhaha

Also, you might have noticed this chapter isn't particularly as long as most of the previous ones; I was just working on this chapter for so long (including huge breaks of zero motivation and procrastination), so I just wanted to get something out there. This seemed like a pretty decent place to cut off.

Just know that the next chapter, I won't be going through Baekhyun's class. That's all I'm gonna say.

Thanks for reading! I really do appreciate all of you subscribers because I know how annoying it is to have to wait so long for an update. I love you all ;3;

Your comments, too. I like seeing you guys participating with the story lol. Let me know what you think!

AND MY TWO UPVOTES OTL. Better than none! I'm not complaining though. I never even expected anyone to upvote; I was actually quite surprised lol.

I'll just stop here. Wow, I really need to stop making these author notes so freaking long omg.

COMMENT/UPVOTE/SUBSCRIBE

elsanna is one of my new otp's HELP