Chapter 15

Stay With Me

Baekhyun swore to himself he wouldn't let that dream affect him. And that was three days ago. Something triggered in his mind after having that dream and he couldn't stop thinking about it for the past few days. Just what was going on in his brain for it to be able to even make a dream like that?

The day after the dream, Baekhyun and Chanyeol turned in the filled out papers after their classes; the older boy made sure not to forget to ask about dropping one or two of his more mentally painful classes. Losing a couple couldn't hurt...

He specified which classes he wanted to drop and the counselor agreed. After a few minutes on her computer, she printed out a new class schedule and handed it to Baekhyun, who honestly expected to have to wait a few days at least before his request would go into play. He liked this much better and scanned the paper in his hands. The classes were the same, with the exception of the two dropped classes, which meant the times would have to change. The counselor told him she would let the teachers know about the schedule change and added a warm smile at the end.

Baekhyun thanked her and left the office only to have Chanyeol snatch the paper from his hands and look it over. He didn't see the frown on his face when Chanyeol spoke, "still no classes together."

The shorter boy grabbed it. "I just got some removed. I didn't change any, but I guess the times are different."

"Really?" Chanyeol grabbed it again, ignoring the "yah, you're gonna rip it" coming from the boy next to him. Seconds later, a smile spread onto his face as he observed it and Baekhyun couldn't stop his heart from fluttering as he saw his reaction. "Hey, we have every break together."

That caught his attention and he nonchalantly leaned his head closer to Chanyeol's to get a better view of his classes. This didn't go unnoticed by the taller boy and he awkwardly let it be, shifting the angle of the paper to give him an easier view.

"Whoa, you're right. What a coincidence..." Baekhyun backed away and nodded to himself, surprised by Chanyeol's discovery, and crossed his arms over his chest.

Another topic popped into Baekhyun's head and he partially turned to nudge Chanyeol's arm. "Oh, okay, about the dorm. You know how she said we would have to wait until this coming Monday? Well that only gives us..." he paused to count on his fingers, "about 5 days to get everything packed and ready..."

"Yeah, but 5 days is a long time, so don't worry. And it's not like you'll never be able to leave, so if you forget something, just get it on the weekend." Chanyeol made a good point and Baekhyun mentally agreed.

They both exited the school gates and started heading home. Half way there, they had gotten on the topic of who was going to be doing the cooking once they were moved into the dorm.

"No, but seriously, have you ever seen me cook?" Chanyeol reasoned and Baekhyun laughed at his expression.

He questioned through his laughs, "why do you say it with that face? Did you have a traumatizing experience in the past?"

"Yes! I almost burned down the house when I was 13," Chanyeol started to explain, rather animatedly. Baekhyun tried to hold back his laughter.

"Yeah right, knowing you, you probably just burnt some toast or something."

"IT CAUGHT ON FIRE, THOUGH."

Baekhyun gaped at Chanyeol, who noticed and nodded matter-of-factly. The older boy then returned to normally face forward, playfully shaking his head in disapproval. "Of course you would."

It was just enough for Chanyeol to pick up and he countered, "yah, what's that supposed to mean?" He crossed his arms and looked down at the boy.

"I'm just saying, you're probably the only person I know who would set toast on fire. Like seriously, who does that?" Baekhyun laughed as Chanyeol pretended to hit him.

As they neared the house, Baekhyun layed down the soon-to-be rule. "You're not allowed to cook, okay?" Chanyeol gladly agreed with a smile, until he heard the next part. "Which means you have to clean." Baekhyun ccouldn't help from adding the last sentence. Hearing the boy's "wha- wait a minute", he held back a menacing laugh.

Walking through the door, the first thing that hit Baekhyun was the smell of his mother cooking dinner. He was going to miss being able to come home every day with food being made for him. He realized he'll have to cherish any home-cooked meals he has for the next few days, because starting Monday, he won't be able to have a big dinner made for him when he gets home. And that's one of the few things he'll miss.

After both boys put their things down, Baekhyun was first to burst through the kitchen door.

His mother looked up from the stove and smiled, greeting her son, "hey! Did you get everything situated?" Baekhyun could tell she was getting more used to the whole 'moving out' ordeal and that lifted the weight of that matter off his shoulders.

He jump up to sit on the counter next to the stove when Chanyeol then entered the kitchen with a "hey Ms. Byun!"

She turned her attention to the boy and replied back. "Hey, yeol!" All this exchanging of peppy greetings was a little too much for Baekhyun, who opted to just stick to answering her question.

"Yeah, all the papers are turned in. Sunday's our last day here." He looked at Chanyeol, since this was regarding him as well, who just nodded in agreement and pulled out a chair.

All of a sudden, parts of the dream appeared in Baekhyun's mind and the atmosphere starting feeling uncomfortable. Why was this randomly showing up? He tried to focus on something other than what he saw in his mind, but it was so vivid and was he the only one feeling super uncomfortable? He didn't want to give anything away, but seeing Chanyeol in his peripheral vision wasn't helping.

After minutes and minutes or staring into nothing, his mind completely elsewhere, a voice suddenly brought Baekhyun back to reality.

"Yah! Baekhyun!"

He looked at her, surprised and mostly annoyed. "What!?"

"Are you ignoring me? I've been screaming at you for the past five minutes!"

"Yeah, I'm ignoring you!" Something that got on Baekhyun's nerves the most was when people would yell or scream at him; it was an unnecessary way of letting out aggression or anger and it was just plain irritating, to say the least.

"Well get your off the counter, you're in my way!"

Baekhyun hopped down from the countertop and stepped to the side to give her room. "Wow, love you too, mother," he mumbled.

She apparently heard and smiled sweetly, exaggerating the eye smile. "Thanks, son."

Chanyeol, who witnessed the whole thing, let out a quiet laugh.

Baekhyun decided to not sit down near Chanyeol. He was still confused as to why he kept remembering that dream, and considering how he felt during every interaction with the boy he had throughout the day, he decided it would be best to just stay away. He's never experienced a dream like this before; one that made him feel unusually strange and stuck with him.

"Chanyeol, can you help me with something?" Baekhyun's mother called him over. He replied with a "sure!" and walked over to stand beside her.

Baekhyun needed to gather his own thoughts and determine what this feeling was. Why he was feeling so strange after having that dream. But it was just a dream, nothing more. An unreal depiction of something that could never happen. But something inside of Baekhyun didn't want it to be just a simple dream. It wanted to be much more, something real. And he wasn't exactly fighting it.

Baekhyun glanced at Chanyeol and when he saw the boy pucker his lips to blow on what was in the spoon in front of him, he instantly regretted it. That feeling was back again, but he couldn't really get himself to look away.

Maybe he just needs to sit down.

Luckily, he didn't bring any attention as he left to go into the living room, plopping down on the couch and bringing his feet up on the coffee table.

Usually, Baekhyun isn't one to feel lost about these sort of things, but this time he doesn't know what to do. Is this what love feels like? Is this even love? What exactly is this feeling? His mind automatically filled with thoughts of loving Chanyeol. It was unusual, but more than slightly possible.

How does a person know if they're in love or not? What does someone in love usually do? Baekhyun asked himself these questions.

Does he make you happy? Yes

Do you want to spend your time with him? Yes

Does he make you feel good about yourself? Yes

Do you care about him? Yes

These are all the aspects of loving someone, aren't they? If this is all it takes, Baekhyun is in deep trouble and Chanyeol is most definitely dangerous. He decided that these feelings are anything but good and needed to be put down before the flame could grow any larger. Barely a few days ago, these feelings weren't so... present; the dream could be the only reason for awakening bringing them into existence. Every time he remembers it, the feeling grows more and more intense and Baekhyun just wants it to stop.

If only he did his homework like he was supposed to; not falling asleep and being able to have that dream. He could of comfortably been able to sit across from the boy without zoning out or being surrounded by a tension only he could feel.

But why didn't that dream show up when they were walking home? It would of been a perfect opportunity to ruin everything, considering how his brain seems to love that and the fact that they were both alone together. Baekhyun can't answer that, but he's glad he got to spend at least some time without feeling so strange.

Is it always going to be like this? Or only when he remembers the dream?

Baekhyun rested his head on the cushions, closing his eyes. Maybe he's just tired. Maybe his brain is just too worn out, also causing all these weird feelings.

Some shuffling sounds could be heard coming from the kitchen, and the next thing that happens is an overly-giddy Chanyeol peeking through the kitchen door with a fork in his hand. He pointed it towards Baekhyun. "Dinner's ready, Baek."

Baekhyun shifted in his seat from the sudden voice and he glanced at Chanyeol, silently begging for the boy to not sense the radiating awkward coming from him. Incapable of forming words, he simply nodded with a tried, blank expression. Chanyeol seemed satisfied enough by the boy's answer and he went back in to what Baekhyun assumed was sit down for dinner.

Inhaling deeply, he stood up and walked into the kitchen. His mother and Chanyeol had already found their seats, leaving Baekhyun to sit across from the boy. Great...

Almost noticably hesitant, Baekhyun pulled out the chair and sat down to stare at the food in front of him. He decided it was best to avoid all eye contact and conversation as he began with his dinner, hoping to just finish and go off to his room and be by himself.

His mother noticed her son's behavior and spoke on it, "whoa, trying to win a race?"

Baekhyun just continued until finally replying with a hint of sarcasm. "Yeah."

She didn't expect his answer and noticed the seriousness behind his expression, choosing to not push the topic any further.

To some, Baekhyun might seem angry, but if anything, it was the opposite. The feeling was still there, and with Chanyeol cluelessly sitting a mere few feet away from him, it wasn't getting easier. It was getting worse and out of his peripheral vision, he could see the boy shooting him a glance every now and then, unknowingly spreading color onto Baekhyun's cheeks. He felt the heat rising to his face and automatically started eating faster, hoping to get out of there as soon as possible. Hoping to avoid anyone seeing how just small glances could have a big effect. Hoping no one would question his unsual silence.

But all of that was thrown out the window as soon as he just had to start choking. This is what he gets for eating to fast and not paying attention. He let go of all silverware and stood up, automatically coughing and holding onto his throat as the food didn't seem to go down. Eyes starting to water from the discomfort, Baekhyun noticed Chanyeol jumping up with wide eyes, Ms. Byun following after. 

"Baekhyun!" The boy went over, panic written on his face. He turned to Baekhyun's mother, "he's choking!"

Chanyeol was first to make a move and started hitting the boy's back, but not enough to hurt him. Baekhyun continued to cough and both boys knew Chanyeol's help was working.

His mother came in, instructing something that caught Baekhyun's attention, despite his life being at stake. "Wait! You have to hold him from behind, right above the stomach!"

Chanyeol did as she ordered, and Baekhyun's eyes widened. His coughing increased and his mind wasn't completely filled with thoughts of "I'm gonna die, I'm gonna die" anymore.

The shock of feeling Chanyeol's body pressed against his, with his arms wrapped around him (even though it was simply the Heimlich maneuver), was enough to finally unclog his throat, making it easier to breath.

The first thing he did was scramble out of Chanyeol's arms, along with a "Baekhyun, are you okay?!" from the boy and a panicked stare from his mother. It was obvious Chanyeol was too concerned to think anything more about it, while the smaller boy took it way out of proportion. Breathing heavily, Baekhyun screamed replied with "I'M FINE!" before storming out of the kitchen and up the stairs.

His mother and Chanyeol exchanged worried looks as they heard the bedroom door slam shut.

 

 

 

 

 


A/N It's been so long omg sorry. I'll try to update much more frequently. Another reason I've been waiting so long is because I have so many ideas in my head about different stories I wanna make, and I've finished that hunhan bonus I was talking about and then I made a kaisoo oneshot (drabble?), too. It was a lot of fun.. all that fluff and fluffy was very fun for me. (I write and it still ends up being fluffy orz) But people said I did a great job for my first time writing so I'm very happy with it :D

I've also been having so much writer's block along with no motivation for this story, but suddenly I was just strolling through my fics and my eyes landed it and I decided "YOU KNOW WHAT, I WILL MAKE A CHAPTER AND IT WILL BE AWESOME" so yeah.

Plus I was feeling really guilty because I haven't updated in forever, and I didn't just want to abandon this story...

But yeah. LOL THAT CHOKING PART. I thought that was funny and when it said "that was finally enough to unclog his throat" lolololol I just thought that was hilarious idk

Do you think the plot is going kinda slow? DON'T FRET it'll be speeding up!! Baekhyun is feeling something!!! Soon he'll realize!!! What he's feeling!!! All because of that dream!!!

Hehe, thanks for reading c:

(comment/upvote/subscribe)