Chapter 16

Stay With Me

"Chanyeol, do you have everything?" It was the night before they'd be moving into the dorm and to say Baekhyun was a wreck would be an understatement. After spending days and long hours packing his belongings, he still wasn't completely sure if he forgot anything or not.

That was one of his smaller worries, though. Of course, Chanyeol had somehow snuck his way to the top of Baekhyun's concerns over the past few days. That uncomfortable feeling inside him was gradually increasing and it was scaring him more and more. Was this going to affect them living together? Baekhyun was nervous and terrified about what was going to happen. Don't they say college can change people's lives? If it was going to be this difficult for Baekhyun, how was he even going to be able to pay attention to his homework with Chanyeol in the same room? And he can't just back out now... he will have to overcome this for the sake of his education. And Baekhyun was going to go through with this, he needs to make are it is done right with as least complications as possible.

No matter how much harder it was becoming for Baekhyun to receive any attention from Chanyeol, he still knew the boy, and that meant there was a big possibility he hasn't even started packing yet.

Baekhyun repeated from his room after getting silence for an answer, "Chanyeol,  do you have everything packed?" He shuffled around with the zipper on his suitcase before heaving a sigh at its stubbornness.

Sticking to it, Baekhyun pushed the top down as much as his body would let him, and forced the zipper closed. This time, he got an answer from the boy a few doors down, "uh, yeah, almost!"

Baekhyun left the conversation with Chanyeol's answer and propped his successfully closed suitcase next to the other two.

On the inside, Baekhyun never wanted to talk to Chanyeol again. As harsh as it sounds, it's true. He feels like exploding every time the boy is in the same room as him, and feeling that way, he can't even wrap his head around why he's still agreeing to sharing a dorm with him. But what's done is done and Baekhyun had to live with Chanyeol whether he likes it or not.

Maybe this will finally show Baekhyun there's nothing special to Chanyeol. That he's the most boring person to live with and he can't wait till the school's over and they'll never have to see each other again.

But who was Baekhyun kidding, even that seemed utterly ridiculous to him even though he hates to admit it.

For now, his plan is to just go with the flow (and hopefully steer it anywhere not directed to Chanyeol). To just act normal like he did before these strange feelings showed up. Hopefully it'll convince himself that normal was better. Hopefully.

Baekhyun was pleased with himself. Everything was situated and packed and in less than 24 hours, him and Chanyeol will be living together in a dorm. The thought was still strange to Baekhyun, especially when the feeling in his gut intensified because of it.

Baekhyun made a mental note to be extra cautious from now on.

-----

After checking multiple of times, Baekhyun finally settled for being completely ready with his suitcases waiting by the front door. Of course, Chanyeol was the one being waited on; probably having forgotten something he didn't pack last night, or any of the nights before when he claimed he'll just wait until Sunday and wouldn't need to rush. He never really was the organized one, anyway.

"Chanyeol, we have to get there early.." Baekhyun pushed. Chanyeol needed to be rushed at this point since they needed to get there early. With all their suitcases, it would've been a terrible idea to walk like they usually do, so Baekhyun had called a cab. It was already waiting outside, and Baekhyun turned to give the driver an apologetic smile, showing him they'll be out soon.

It was about an hour and ten minutes before they would usually get to school, and they needed to be able to get into their dorm and at least place all the suitcases down before classes.

Deciding he's had enough of all this waiting, Baekhyun rushed upstairs and into Chanyeol's room to see just what was taking forever. "Chanyeol, what is taking you so lo-"

Chanyeol instantly flipped his back to look at Baekhyun, quietly motioning for him to shush. Baekhyun obeyed cluelessly as Chanyeol turned to his original direction and tip-toed closer to the open window. He peeked out and descended his arm right outside of it.

Baekhyun furrowed his brow. What was Chanyeol even doing?

"What are you doing?" Baekhyun whispered, remembering to stay quiet as his curiousity overruled his priorities.

Chanyeol turned to look at Baekhyun and mouthed 'come here ' as he slowly waved for the boy to come closer. Baekhyun's mind wasn't so sure how to respond, but he did so anyway and approached the window to see what was so important.

As Baekhyun stood next to Chanyeol, his hands subconsciously placed themselves next to Chanyeol's on the panel. He forced himself to not think anything more of it than necessary as he looked outside.

"Look," Chanyeol whispered. Baekhyun saw nothing more than a small, pale-colored kitten sleeping on one of the branches closer to the window. It looked so fragile and Baekhyun suddenly forgot about the whole moving situation.

"Whose is it?" Baekhyun remained quiet, but wanting to disturb the kitten's sleep.

"No one's, I don't think..."

Baekhyun silently nodded and saw Chanyeol reach out to caress its fur. The kitten instantly leaned into his hand and squinted its eyes, differently than closing them for sleep. It was affectionate and Baekhyun smiled at it.

When Chanyeol brought his hand back, the kitten groggily opened its eyes and let out a tiny meow. Baekhyun couldn't help but smile and the little ball of fur in front of them and slowly extended his arm to pet it. Right before Baekhyun's hand could touch the kitten's head, it backed away and pushed its ears back, showing annoyance.

Baekhyun frowned and felt like a part of his heart had just collapsed. He retracted his arm and stared longingly at the kitten, not understanding what had just happened.

Chanyeol noticed the kitten's behavior and, seemingly reading the boy's mind, stated, "it's okay. Not everyone can be a cat person."

Baekhyun didn't feel better one bit.

Chanyeol sighed and glanced back at the kitten. "I wonder what'll happen to her when we leave."

Baekhyun's attention shot up. They had to leave, and the driver must have been waiting all this time. He hoped he didn't end up driving off, just telling them to forget it.

He turned to face Chanyeol, "about that, we gotta leave like right now. The cab's waiting and please tell me you have everything ready." Baekhyun filled the last sentence with hope and was glad to hear "yeah, everything's packed, but-" coming from the boy's mouth.

"But what about her?" Chanyeol finished, worry in his eyes. Baekhyun couldn't care less, considering the kitten basically hated him. But seeing Chanyeol so concerned over the frail kitten couldn't really give him a solid answer.

Baekhyun was trying to rush through this conversation so they could leave as soon as possible, but Chanyeol was obviously not going anywhere without positive answers about the kitten.

The only thing Baekhyun tried to focus on was getting out of there, and it was taking way too long for his liking. And probably for the driver's, too.  "Isn't there someone else who takes care of it? One of the neighbors probably feeds it. C'mon, let's just go-"

"No, there isn't. I'm the one who feeds her-" There was an annoyed tone in Chanyeol's voice, but it went unnoticed by the shorter boy.

"What? What are you feeding it? We don't have any cat food."

"I know that. I just give her the leftover pieces of fish. And seriously, can you stop calling her 'it'? How can you be so insensitive?"

This time, Baekhyun noticed his tone. He was definitely taken aback; it was the first time he's ever heard Chanyeol get upset over something. It was no exception, though.

"Insensitive? I'm just trying to do what we need to do, but I can't because you're taking forever like always. And I wouldn't be surprised if the cab driver already decided to take off, so are you happy we'll have to walk? And it's just a cat, not a human. Don't take it so seriously." Baekhyun's temper was rising.

"Fine, I'll just leave her to die. Is that what you want me to do? 'It's just an animal', right? You should've seen her when I first found her. She was literally bones and fur, and seeing her get better, how could I just leave her now? You're wanting me to abandon her while she's improving, just to have her get worse again." Chanyeol walked over to the edge of the bed and sat down, putting his face in his hands to try and calm himself.

This was unbelievable to Baekhyun. "So what are you saying? You want to take the cat with us?" It came out a lot harsher than intended, but Baekhyun didn't regret it.  He couldn't believe they were arguing over something so trivial. He didn't even know about the  kitten, let alone how much it meant to Chanyeol.

Chanyeol sat up and breathed deeply with an unreadable expression, avoiding Baekhyun's stare. "Fine. Let's just go. I mean it's bound to die sometime, right?"

And with that, Chanyeol stood up, grabbed his suitcases, and left the room without a word.

Baekhyun was left surprised as he stood rooted in his spot. Once back to reality, he groaned as he exited the room with a slam of the door.

He raced downstairs to see the front door still open and Chanyeol bringing his belongings towards the cab that fortunately didn't leave yet. The driver looked as if he had just woken up; his sleeping probably the only thing that kept him from driving off.

Baekhyun followed after Chanyeol to silently bring his things and stuff them anywhere they could fit in the car. Baekhyun would glance at him every once in a while out of curiosity, but the younger boy still choose to ignore him.

Chanyeol and Baekhyun sat beside each other in the back seats, respectively looking out their own windows. Apparently the driver could sense the tension between the two, and would often glance at the two from the mirror. Thankfully, he decided not to bring anything up.

After reaching the destination, Chanyeol beat Baekhyun to paying, making him feel all the worse. He had no idea it felt this terrible to be ignored by someone you care about. That part Baekhyun could admit to himself; he cares about Chanyeol. But anyone could say that about anyone, so where's the significance in that?

Chanyeol grabbed his items out of the cab first, leaving Baekhyun's things for him. The younger boy started making his way towards the entrance and this time Baekhyun was the one trying to keep up after always rushing the boy.

Baekhyun wanted to tell him to slow down, but decided not to considering the way he treated Chanyeol. With his suitcases in hand, Baekhyun half-ran to catch up with the boy. He stayed a few feet behind him just to be safe.

They reached the office and Chanyeol retrieved the keys, each being the same key; one for each person. He put both keys in his pocket and took hold of his belongings again as he headed towards the dorms. Baekhyun quietly followed behind him, watching his back as they neared the building.

As they got closer, Baekhyun could see that Chanyeol was just as taken away as he was. The amount of money put into this school was unimaginable and Baekhyun couldn't believe how he even got accepted in the first place. Walking through the doors of the building, the first thing they felt was a blast of cool air. Looking around, Baekhyun was convinced this was actually a 5-star hotel. It was pristine and colorful and it was nothing like either of them imagined it to be. There were a few people walking around, going somewhere to probably get ready for classes.

"Wow," was the first thing to come out of Baekhyun's mouth. Chanyeol slowly advanced forward, leading the way to the elevator. Their dorm was on the 4th floor, and if this part was already amazing, he had no idea how the actual dorm would be.

Stepping into the elevator, Baekhyun presses the 4th button from the bottom and the door closes behind them. The wait is wrather uncomfortable with just the two of them and Baekhyun silently wishes it doesn't continue this way in the dorm. 

The doors open with a ding and both boys are eager to make it to the room. After scanning the numbers beside each door, they finally find their room near the end of the hall. Chanyeol takes out his key and unlocks the door to reveal where they'll be living for what could possibly be a year. Maybe two.

Baekhyun's eyes scan the room, and honestly, he's not as impressed as he was in the lobby, but this was still really nice. He took this as a chance to get Chanyeol talking to him again... hopefully.

"This is really nice, don't you think?" Baekhyun wanted to punch himself for the way he sounded... like someone who goes on dates to buy curtains or something. Baekhyun cringed.

"Yeah," was all Chanyeol replied with, but it was better than nothing. Definitely better than being ignored.

They both set down their things and starting giving themselves a tour.

The first thing Baekhyun noticed was the kitchen. Although, it wasn't really an official kitchen, it was better than what would be seen in an average college dorm. Baekhyun liked it. 

Next, Baekhyun saw the living room, or what was just a couch, a coffee table, a lamp, a desk, and a small TV. Baekhyun was actually surprised there was a TV, but he was glad there was one. The area was decorated quite nicely with a big rug underneath the couch and coffee table. Also, the dark hardwood floor was something Baekhyun really liked.

While Chanyeol continued doing his own thing within the dorm, Baekhyun kept looking around. He found the beds, or wrather a bunk bed. He noticed Chanyeol's bag already on the bottom bunk and Baekhyun cursed himself for not getting there first. Guess he'll have to sleep in the top bunk...

Baekhyun tossed his bag on the top bunk and continued looking around. After he left the (kinda) secluded area of where the beds were (not an actual bedroom), he realized he hasn't seen Chanyeol since they both entered the dorm.

"Chanyeol?" He called out, but received no answer.

He passed by the bathroom, so he officially knows where everything is. After no such luck of finding the boy, he kept walking around just to familiarize himself with the place.

Suddenly, he stopped in his tracks when his eyes landed on whats in front of him. A whole wall, completely see-through, overlooking the entire city. It was breathtaking. You could see the sun still rising, and ask the buildings and houses in the distance. He noticed Chanyeol standing closer to the glass, acting just like Baekhyun. He was rooted on the spot, gaping at the view.

After moments of staring, Chanyeol turned to look at Baekhyun. "Can you believe this?"

Baekhyun, completely throwing the whole 'ignoring' situation out the window in front of them, stepped closer to the glass. Both boys continued to gape at the view in front of them as Baekhyun replied. "Not at all," he said in awe. "I am so glad I decided to move here."

Chanyeol huffed.  "Yeah, you're welcome."

Baekhyun lifted an eyebrow. "Why should I thank you? I would've moved here even without your input." It felt good to finally be able to comfortably speak with the boy again. Baekhyun missed being able to , even if it was only for a short period of time.

Chanyeol laughed, "sure, whatever you say."

Baekhyun kept his gaze forward. He was finally starting to feel better. He felt as if something was suddenly switched on, the uncomfortableness of the strange feeling was slowly starting to dissipate. The feeling was now beginning to feel solid, and Baekhyun was no longer trying to avoid it. He was certain about his feelings. What is this feeling?

This feeling called love. Baekhyun was in love and he was no longer afraid to admit it.

Baekhyun was in love with Chanyeol. And he is okay with that. Perfectly okay.

He glanced up at the taller boy. "Hey, Chanyeol?"

Said boy waited for a few moments, expecting the boy the continue, but when he didn't, he responded with "yeah?" and looked down at the boy.

"I'm sorry for what happened earlier. Back at house, I-"

"It's okay, you don't have to explain. I'm sorry, too." He nodded and added a smile to show Baekhyun it was alright.

He returned the smile before turning to look back through the glass, with Chanyeol following his action soon after.

 

 

 

 

 

----------

A/N hey guys~ fyi I literally typed this whole chapter on my phone... also why this author's note is not in green because it was being all weird and wouldnt let me change the color but oh well

Baekhyun is in love~~~ finally!! Now what about Chanyeol??

Oh! Before I forget! Okay, it was brought to my attention a while ago that in one of the earlier chapters I said that chanyeol and baekhyun are both.. 21 I think? I said that baekhyun just turned 21 but chanyeol did too! How is that possible when it isnt even november yet? Please note that I made a small mistake, its not that big of a deal but,  chanyeol is still 20 until november. He will then be turning 21 heh yeah. Please understand that. I also wrote that in the story feed on the left (if on mobile, its below this) but idk if people even read those so.

Thanks for reading :)

also, does anyone else think baekyeon is another scam sm is trying to pull? I think its fake considering all the circumstances surrounding the two (as in exo and snsd, as well)

But yeah, comment/upvote/subscribe!