The Invitation

If We're Meant To Be

“Welcome back, girl! So, how was your day?” GD oppa asked me eagerly as I entered the car. I was about to go with:

“It ended up with a mess. I mean there’s a guy next to me who treated me awfully and I hate him!”

But seeing GD oppa’s full-of-excitement-face, I couldn’t bear to tell him that. Instead, I went with:

“Great, oppa. The class, the teacher even the members are wonderful. I sit next to a boy, Yang Yoseob. He treated me nicely.”

I lied to him. I had to lie. Then I saw GD oppa chuckled happily. Well, at least I made him feel less worried about me.

“Well, that’s a good start. Maybe you’ll have better friends here. I’m just so glad that you entered that prestigious school. How about we go and eat some Kimchi Stew? My treat?”

I nodded quickly. As our car moved, I saw Yang Yoseob at the public phone. To avoid from hating a stranger whom I don’t know his true colours yet, I quickly looked away.

As GD oppa and I were talking about our summer vacation to Busan, my phone rang. I was puzzled to see an anonymous number.

“Nuguseyo?” I asked politely, wondering who could be calling me at this time.

“Hey, Jin Yi. It’s me, Lee Gikwang.” The voice was recognizable. That made me sure that it was Lee Gikwang.

“Oh, Gikwang. How did you find my number?”

“Lee Hi gave it to me. Please keep that a secret. She didn’t want you to know that.” He sounded scared. Probably he’s worried that I’d be angry with Lee Hi for giving him my number.

“Oh, that's okay. What’s the matter?”

“Urm, I was wondering if you are free this week end?” He was stuttering. How funny is that.

“This week end? I don’t know yet. My oppa might have a family bonding programme with me. What’s with this week end anyway?” I looked at GD oppa and he was also looking at me with a curious face.

“I entered a dance competition, alone. I’ll be competing under the name AJ against BEST.” The BEST name got me excited!

“BEST! Wow! I am so going to look forward for it! Who are the members of BEST?” I asked anxiously. Haven’t I told you, I have a favourite dancer and he’s in the BEST group?

“BEST’s members are Junhyung, Dongwoon and Yoseob. You might not know several of them even though we’re classmates because they have been absent for 2 days. You’ll meet them tomorrow.” I was terrified to hear the last name. Without any hesitation, I was sure for all this time, when I proudly declared that I am one of the Yeobos and a fan of the Aegyo King, without me knowing it, I had also declared that I am his fan.

“Oh, a dance competition, I would like to go there. I like dancing. Well, I should be asking my oppa first, then, I’ll text you later, okay?” I tried to sound happy. Even GD oppa realised it. I hung up the phone and stared at GD oppa, hoping he would let me go.

“Jin Yi, I am driving here. Don’t force me to see that cute face of yours.” I ignored whatever he said and continued to stare at him. He tried hard not to laugh. Of course, he was driving at that time. Finally after 15 minutes of controlling his emotions hard, we arrived at the parking lot and parked GD oppa’s precious Sonata there. Then he looked at me and laughed.

“Oppa, stop it! Just tell me whether I can go or not.” I tried to make an angry face, but it didn’t work.

“Okay, okay. I’ll let you go. But promise me, next time nothing is more important that family bonding time. Okay?” GD oppa ended his tearful laughs at me. He tidy up himself to look neat again.

“I promised you, oppa. Thank you so much.” I hugged him tightly. It has been a while since our childhood days where we were very close. GD oppa smiled and suddenly,

*gruk*

“Oppa! You’re too hungry that your stomach GROWLS like EXO’s song!” I said and laughed at him hard.

“Sorry, Jin Yi. I can’t resist our oppa-donseng moments, I missed you!” GD oppa hugged me again.

“Okay, oppa. Because you are my oppa and I love you after omma and abuji, we’re going to eat.” We made our way to the restaurant and ate there. We spend our time together here. With GD oppa, all of my sorrow in the class just now disappeared. I wish I could say thanks to him.